Great Lakes ship to be named after Ob...

Great Lakes ship to be named after Oberstar

There are 8 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Mar 8, 2011, titled Great Lakes ship to be named after Oberstar. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Former U.S. Rep. James Oberstar is getting a rare honor - a Great Lakes ship named after him.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Jimmy Bikeshorts

Denver, CO

#1 Mar 8, 2011
You have GOT to be kidding me. What are they going to do, recommission the vessel for transporting pork products? Besides, there is nothing honorable about this arrogant, petulant, thankfully former career politician.
Abe

United States

#2 Mar 8, 2011
Let's see ... you have a ship that was named after a man who created wealth, jobs, and, yes, paid huge tax bills, being re-named for a man who created government wealth and government jobs and established huge tax bills for you and me.

Sounds justified to me!
Im Thinkin

Cottage Grove, MN

#3 Mar 8, 2011
It'll sink !
Taxmemore

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Mar 8, 2011
It's a unique vessel in that it doesn't burn coal or diesel; it burns cash.
YoMammy

United States

#5 Mar 8, 2011
Hopefully it sinks.
HotToTrot

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Mar 8, 2011
They can name it "Earmarks" in honor of him.

Since: Feb 08

Sandstone MN

#7 Mar 8, 2011
Perhaps it will have bicycle cranks for the crew to pedal to avoid greenhouse gas emissions.
Henry Frapp

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Mar 8, 2011
The Ohio based company is doing this for some competitive reason. It's not surprising that a Minnesota based company isn't changing the name of a lake to 'Oberstar' since he hasn't actually lived ininnesota for over 30 years. He did't even own a house in his district until his mother died. Oberstar spent fewer than 90 days a year in his district. If he were not a U.S. House member he would not have been eligible to vote in Minnesota.

(Most other federal office holders travel back and forth on weekends and holidays, Oberstar just stayed in Virginia, as in the Potomac, not the Iron Range).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

James Oberstar Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News U.S. airline industry failing consumers, panel ... (Apr '12) Jun '12 Imaginarybrain 42
News Rail transit gets $900M promise (Dec '11) Dec '11 Bill Yuille 1
News Humphrey School to honor Oberstar's career (Jan '11) Jan '11 Gerbil Meister 11
News Minnesota / Oberstar now a rep without an office (Dec '10) Dec '10 Jimmy Bikeshorts 2
News Minnesota recount begins amid flurry of challenges (Nov '10) Dec '10 Anonymous 48
News Delta Queen may steam to Pittsburgh once again (Nov '10) Nov '10 Buck Wheat 2
News Central Corridor had to compete to get this far (Nov '10) Nov '10 AntiMelting 31
More from around the web