US Military Struggles to `defeat' IEDs -

US Military Struggles to `defeat' IEDs -

There are 4 comments on the Newsday story from Aug 20, 2007, titled US Military Struggles to `defeat' IEDs -. In it, Newsday reports that:

The Humvee driver, in his final moments, didn't know what hit him. Neither did the U.S. Army.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Liberal but not guilty

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Aug 20, 2007
I've thought for a long time that we should get rid of the name "Improvised E...D..."

Maybe at the start of the war, they were "improvised," but it seems that the insurgents have become adept at turning them out like clockwork. And since they're most likely no longer "improvised," but made following established patterns and diagrams, why does the Army (or perhaps rather the Bushies) CALL them "improvised"?

I have a sneaking suspicion that they're called "improvised" to reassure the US public that the insurgents are no big deal, that they have nothing but tin foil and rubber bands.

When the Germans were bombing London, or the Japanese Pearl Harbor, did we call them "improvised bombs"? No, they were just "bombs." And "car bombs" are not "improvised car bombs," ditto "pipe bombs."

Maybe the Bushies should have THESE bombs called simply that - "roadside bombs" - without the false comfort of calling them "improvised."
SinDbadAlive

Benha, Egypt

#2 Aug 22, 2007
Liberal but not guilty wrote:
why does the Army (or perhaps rather the Bushies) CALL them "improvised"?
."
My respect to your reallistic observation.
Wished if you could have extended your intelligent thought to the use of the adjective "insurgents". For more than 4 years those so called "insurgents" have been fighting the American Occupation Forces, so as a man from the MidEast; I call them "Resistant Fighters". A man/woman killing a Foreign Occupation Soldger is opposing the surrender of his Nation to the Will of a foreign "invader". What do you think?
SinDbadAlive

Benha, Egypt

#3 Aug 22, 2007
forgot to ask:
Now I know the origin of "I", wish to know the meaning of E&D? Thanks.
SinDbadAlive

Benha, Egypt

#4 Aug 22, 2007
I can add:
Look at the Animal kingdom, and you will see whatever the Pedetor (savage animal) does have a mighty Force, but the Prey with the least cpabilities "may" manage to escape. some can even scare the Pedetor and drive him to leave.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

James Moran Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Protecting the kids from ED ads (May '09) Jan '16 Tara 15
News LuAnn Bennett Announces Run for Congress (Dec '15) Dec '15 Vrmaddox 1
News Russia pulls welcome mat on Rep. Moran, disgrac... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Captain Yesterday 4
News Ban erectile dysfunction ads, lawmaker says (May '09) Jun '14 Willdon 17
News Groups push for more humane slaughter of chickens (Mar '14) Mar '14 Jim the Hoax Denier 2
News 3.3 percent pay raise proposed for federal empl... (Mar '14) Mar '14 atthebeach 1
News Virginia's Moran Announces Retirement from Cong... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Asian Guy 28
More from around the web