GOP: Support grows to drill offshore

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

Democrats on a House subcommittee defeat a plan to lift a 27-year-old moratorium.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of50
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Keyboard Commando

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Judged:

If we're going to demonize oil companies and other businesses, why do we leave out beer distributors? It's like printing money to own one of those things. And what about book deals? Those politicians make lots and lots of money from publishing houses, which are corporations. Has anybody ever held hearings to determine why second-rate politicians get so many lucrative book deals? How is it that certain executives live free and clear of harassment but others do not? This is not the Republican Party I have known, with the tangential standard-bearer making these kinds of attacks.

They weren't going to do anything that would lower the price. They weren't going to increase drilling, right here, right now. They weren't going to do one thing to produce a drop more energy. All they were going to do was punish Big Oil (while leaving Big Beer alone. Gotta punish Big Oil. Here it is. It's right in the Washington Post. "The Democrats claimed that taxing Big Oil would assuage consumer anger." That's not going to assuage consumer anger. Consumers are a little bit more sophisticated than that.

Okay, so Big Oil gets taxed? Fine and dandy. And the price of gasoline doesn't drop -- and, in fact, keeps going up? And Democrats think people are going to be happy about that? "The vote was largely partisan, each party sticking to long-held positions," but the interesting thing about this story in the Washington Post is that Chuck Schumer was going to address high gas prices by putting oil profits into a trust fund. Here's what Schumer says. He said, "Today we had a chance to deal with the issue of high gasoline prices, and the Republican senators sent a resounding no. Of everything they have done so far in terms of obstruction, this is the politically most damaging.' The bill would have used the revenue to create an Energy Independence and Security Trust Fund, tasked with reducing US dependence on foreign and 'unsustainable' energy sources and reducing the risks of global warming."

A trust fund! Sort of like the Social Security trust fund that doesn't exist. Sort of like the Social Security lockbox that Algore created that sits right next to Hillary's testicle lockbox -- which, by the way, is not quite ready for the Smithsonian 'cause she's still using it. A trust fund? Here, Schumer says it again: "[W]e had a chance to deal with the issue of high gasoline prices" by taxing the oil companies. They're supposed to "share" their profits with the government. They're supposed to give their profits to the government in a trust fund!
Keyboard Commando

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Judged:

Well, it's not just the libs in Congress. It's the leftists who populate the environmental movement. It is leftists who populate any number of movements who have as their aim the destruction of American capitalism, the cutting of America down to size. This is a serious thing. People don't want to believe this, they think,This is about making sure this country is no longer a superpower. There are people inside this country and outside this country who want to cut this country down to size, who want to harm us. They hate us.
Keyboard Commando

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Judged:

Drill Here. Drill Now. Pay Less. They got 500,000 signatures on their petition. So these things are in the works. I think it's great. People are starting to get fed up with this. And then when they learn that the party that claims to care most about them and says they have all this compassion, that their only plan to deal with this was to raise taxes on the oil companies to punish them so that people paying four dollars or more for a gallon of gasoline would not be as mad. But the Democrat plan did not include one drop of new energy produced, or discovered, or refined. So they admit that their plan is not about anything other than making sure that while you're mad, the oil companies get soaked. They have no desire to cheapen oil and gasoline. The Democrat Party right now does not. This is a ticket to their reelection, they think. Folks, this is serious stuff. This slow increment loss of liberty and freedom -- what do you think high gas price does to your liberty and freedom? What do you think about a party that's not interested in taking action within the laws of supply and demand that would lower your gasoline price and other related petroleum products? It's something that people need to consider long and hard. There are people actively standing in the way of prices coming down by trying to thwart the laws of supply and demand. The same people demanding energy independence are the same people standing in the way of it happening.
Ron Mexico

Suffolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Judged:

"If I can pay $1.00 a gallon of gas if the drill in Alaska, then I say drive a drill bit through the head of a polar bear!" Comedian George Wallace.

OK.... leave the polar bear alone George. But, Lets look at the bottom line. Fix the situation by building new refineries, drill for oil in the US (Alaska and the Coast line) and explore more ways of alternative fuels. The average family is feeling the pinch.
Keyboard Commando

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Judged:

Barack Obama has selected two men to team with caroline kennedy to conduct his Vice Presidential search.

One, Eric Holder, was instrumental in securing Marc Rich's pardon from Bill Clinton on the last day of the Clinton Administration.

The other, James Johnson, received a series of sweetheart loans from Countrywide, including a large loan at an interest rate below 4% which looks like a gift.

Obama has been blasting Countryside and its CEO for months. He's been promising a sharp break with the Beltway practices of the past. So in his first week of nominee he finds himself defending old guard D.C. players who represent the restoration of the Clintons without the Clintons. Fine. But spare us the sanctimonious prattle about change.
Keyboard Commando

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Judged:

Barack Obama is recruiting senior staff to fight internet smear campaigns that could damage his chances against John McCain in the 2008 presidential election.

The new unit will combat online rumour campaigns, including allegations that he is neither a Christian nor a patriotic American.

Since he launched his presidential campaign, the Illinois senator has faced inaccurate claims that he attended a madrassa, or religious school, as a child when his family lived in Indonesia.

His Kenyan father, who left the family when he was two years old, was a non-practising Muslim. But Mr Obama began worshipping at the Trinity United Church in Chicago more than 20 years ago.

Nonetheless, he has endured repeated smears by Right-wing bloggers and in December a Clinton volunteer stepped down after forwarding an email falsely stating that Mr Obama is Muslim.

In April, he accused his Democratic primary rival Hillary Clinton of using "shameful" smear tactics after a picture of the Illinois senator wearing tribal robes in a Muslim region of Kenya was circulated on the internet.

The photograph, which was taken in 2006 during an official trip, appeared on the front page of the Drudge Report, where rival campaigns typically try to place damaging material.

The senator’s patriotism has also been the subject of fierce online debate, with bloggers vilifying his decision not to wear the American flag lapel pin beloved of US politicians.(He has recently started wearing one occasionally.)

The senator’s patriotism was further called into question in February, when a tape surfaced of his wife telling supporters that the success of her husband's campaign meant that "for the first time in my adult life I am proud of my country".

Extracts from her university thesis, in which she expressed a sense of racial alienation, sparked further rows over the couple’s patriotism.

While polls indicate that race will not be a decisive factor for the majority of voters, patriotism and background count in the US, and as he focuses his attention on November, the senator will fight misconceptions of his background with a series of biographical speeches and advertisements as he embarks on a three-week tour of swing states.

But the Democratic candidate for president has also benefited from positive internet exposure, with videos of the "Obama Girls" and the celebrity-filled "Yes We Can" song becoming online sensations.

The latest Gallup poll puts Mr Obama in the lead with 48 per cent to Mr McCain's 41 per cent. A CBS News poll gives Mr Obama 48 per cent against the Republican candidate’s 42 per cent.
Outoftowner

Lynchburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Judged:

One question:

Will oil companies be forced to sell the oil in the U.S. for $50 per barrel, or will they sell it to the highest bidder at $150 per barrel?
SN Williamsburg

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Judged:

•With the current composition of the U.S. Senate, our Nation doesn't stand a prayer of extricating ourselves from this self imposed dilemma. Simply review the recent Senate action on HR 3121 where Harry Reid and his minions such as Clinton and Obama, in sync with the Left-Wing Fringe Elements in our society, voted AGAINST the opening of a miniscule portion of ANWAR; AGAINST shale oil extraction of which America has the equivalent of ten Saudi Arabia's in recoverable reserves; and, AGAINST accelerated efforts to facilitate the gasification of America's abundant reserves of coal.
The task then for the RATIONAL MAJORITY in our Nation is SIMPLY to recognize the SOURCE that sustains and provides the base of support for the LEFT-WING FRINGE ELEMENTS in our society; and, to undertake a decisive role at the ballot box to isolate and relegate these FRINGE ELEMENTS THAT COMPRISE A SIGNIFICANT PORTION OF THE BASE OF THE DEMOCRAT PARTY to a decibel level that is barely audible. ANY TIME you vote for a Democrat, ANY DEMOCRAT, you're unmistakably multiplying the capacity of these LEFT-WING FRINGE ELEMENTS to continue to promote their radical agenda, and to bring our Nation to its knees. A circumstance that no external power ever could have accomplished.
The ability to restore our Nation's status; and, to sustain this Sacred Land that the RATIONAL MAJORITY so proudly calls AMERICA, resides in your hands at the ballot box
Walther

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Judged:

Yes yes yes, let's find a way to improve our modes of transport(which make sense and work in sub-zero temps in North Dakota in January!). But until we have a solution, lets not be stupid and limit our energy options. I can't believe that the Democrats and enviros are so insane that they keep stopping oil and nat. gas development in the USA which just makes the average citizen pay so much for just getting around. We have to stop the Democrats. This is serious stuff people. We are at a crossroads - do we go the way of failed communist agenda or do we once again reclaim our can-do attitude which made this country great. It's up to us this November.
lorri

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

start voting for we the people... and not the Special Interest groups... what is wrong with you ?

Since: Jun 08

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Judged:

Keyboard Commando wrote:
Barack Obama has selected two men to team with caroline kennedy to conduct his Vice Presidential search.
One, Eric Holder, was instrumental in securing Marc Rich's pardon from Bill Clinton on the last day of the Clinton Administration.
The other, James Johnson, received a series of sweetheart loans from Countrywide, including a large loan at an interest rate below 4% which looks like a gift.
Obama has been blasting Countryside and its CEO for months. He's been promising a sharp break with the Beltway practices of the past. So in his first week of nominee he finds himself defending old guard D.C. players who represent the restoration of the Clintons without the Clintons. Fine. But spare us the sanctimonious prattle about change.
His words say a lot.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it."
Barack Obama
JWBPLANATV

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Judged:

Keyboard Commando----shut the h*** up. Good heavens every time I tume into one of these threads all I see is line after line of your rederick. I stoppped reading them ages ago. All you do is spew your hatred to everyone who doesnt beleive as you do.I DONT! So call me stupid but your evil and a pain in the A**.
Surry with a fringe

Falls Church, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Judged:

maybe this is the best thing that has happened in a long time. Maybe now the auto makers will see the need to diversify, retool and get some alternative vehicles out here. I, for one, in my lifetime would like to see us tell the Saudis to stick it up their rosy red. Know what's funny. If we no longer used oil, we'd be the first nation giving them a handout.
Cyclone Charlie

Williamsburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Judged:

We need to find Keyboard Commando a job.

He's clearly got too much time on his hands.
Retired

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Judged:

So true. On the agenda this week in the house is a bill to "donate" 1+Billion $ to Mexico to stop drug
cartels. We could spend that Billion or so on closing the borders, and sending all illegals home, we could use that Billion or so to buy oil from them (they have plenty) however we prefer to feed the corruption with our dollars. How stupid can our politicians be?
DRILL HERE---DRILL NOW---PAY LESS
Keyboard Commando

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Judged:

Sweet-e-Pie wrote:
<quoted text>
His words say a lot.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it."
Barack Obama
I'm Not that stupid as you. I may be dumb but stupid i'm not. You can fix dumb but stupid can;t be fix.
Keyboard Commando

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Judged:

Cyclone Charlie wrote:
We need to find Keyboard Commando a job.
He's clearly got too much time on his hands.
You can't handle the truth or is not knowing the truth your problem.
Keyboard Commando

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Judged:

JWBPLANATV wrote:
Keyboard Commando----shut the h*** up. Good heavens every time I tume into one of these threads all I see is line after line of your rederick. I stoppped reading them ages ago. All you do is spew your hatred to everyone who doesnt beleive as you do.I DONT! So call me stupid but your evil and a pain in the A**.
I just love it when you get piss off HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!!!!
Keyboard Commando

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Judged:

JWBPLANATV wrote:
I just love it when you get P I S S off HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!!!!
Keyboard Commando

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Judged:

Hey Bobby Scott and Jim Webb you need to read Stupid.

While Washington dithers over exploiting oil and gas reserves off the coast of Florida, China has seized the opportunity to gobble up these deposits, which run throughout Latin America, the Caribbean and along the U.S. Gulf coast.

The Chinese have forged a deal with Cuban leader Fidel Castro to explore and tap into massive oil reserves almost within sight of Key West, Florida. At the same time, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, who controls the largest oil reserves in the Western Hemisphere, is making deals to sell his country’s oil to China, oil that is currently coming to the United States.

Meanwhile, a new left-wing populist regime in Bolivia has nationalized the natural gas industry, threatening to cut off supplies to the United States.

SLANT DRILLING

There are new reports out circulating that Chinese firms are planning to slant drill off the Cuban coast near the Florida Straits, tapping into U.S. oil reserves that are estimated at 4.6 billion to 9.3 billion barrels. This compares with 4 billion to 10 billion barrels believed to be beneath the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge, where drilling is held up in Congress due to the objections of environmental groups which warn of endangering caribou. Permission to drill in the refuge, which experts are certain will not present any environmental hazard, has failed by just two votes in the Senate.

As Chinese business increases its reach around the world, it is seeking oil, which it lacks domestically.

After elections in Mexico in early July, when a new regime hostile to Washington is expected to take power, the United States might be without supplies of Mexican crude oil. The United States gets about 40 percent of its imported oil from Mexico and Venezuela.

China is eager to tap into oil reserves in the Florida Straits and then make a deal with Castro to control it. The Chinese have already reopened an abandoned Russian oil refinery in Cuba. Much of the gas refined there is believed to be destined for Freeport in the Bahamas, where the Chinese, through front company Hutchison-Whampoa, has developed a massive port facility and airfield.

With the refinery reopened and expanded it will also meet the needs of Castro.

Sen. Larry Craig (R-Idaho) has introduced legislation to ease U.S. restrictions that prevent dealing with Cuba to drill in the Florida Straits. It is hoped that Florida regulations that prevent U.S. oil drilling off the state’s coasts could also be eased.

The irony is that Chinese drilling could be even more of an environmental hazard since China is not as concerned about or equipped to deal with any potential ecological disaster as a result of a spill, said Craig.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of50
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent James Moran Discussions

Search the James Moran Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Groups push for more humane slaughter of chickens Mar 30 Jim the Hoax Denier 2
3.3 percent pay raise proposed for federal empl... Mar 28 atthebeach 1
Virginia's Moran Announces Retirement from Cong... Jan '14 Asian Guy 28
Protecting the kids from ED ads (May '09) Oct '13 Crookes 13
Ban erectile dysfunction ads, lawmaker says (May '09) Oct '13 Hallylay 17
Which workers are 'essential?' (Oct '13) Oct '13 sheepleloveroyalty 1
Congress fuming over U.S. purchase of Russian h... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Jerry 1
•••
•••