Obama To Sign New Food Safety Bill
Full story: WFMZ
#1 Jan 4, 2011
This would be a great help, only if the money goes to inspections and not to some persons salaries.
#2 Jan 4, 2011
Five reasons why the Food Safety Bill is a bad idea from
1. FDA has more than adequate powers under existing law to ensure food safety and effectively deal with foodborne illness outbreaks. FDA has power to inspect, power to detain product and can readily obtain court orders to seize adulterated or misbranded food products or enjoin them from being sold. The problem isn't that FDA needs more power; it's that FDA does not effectively use the power it currently has.
2. S.510 will give FDA extensive power to regulate food in intrastate commerce; state and local governments are more than capable of handling any problems related to food in intrastate commerce. All the major outbreaks of foodborne illness involve either imported food or food in interstate commerce.
3. S.510 will hurt our ability as a nation to be self-sufficient in food production; it has more lenient inspection requirements for foreign than domestic producers creating an unfair advantage for food imports. Giving an advantage to foreign producers will only increase the amount of food imported into this country that does not meet our domestic standards. S.510 does not address food security--the ability of a country to produce enough food to meet its own needs.
4. S.510 will provide a competitive advantage to industrial food producers--the sector of the food system causing most of the food safety problems; the bill will impose burdensome regulations on many small businesses, a number of whom won't have the economies of scale to comply with S.510's requirements.
5. S.510 does nothing to address many significant food safety problems in this country, such as those resulting from confined animal feeding operations (CAFOs), genetically modified organisms (GMOs), and various contaminants (e.g., BPA, pesticides, herbicides, etc.).
Add your comments below
|Don't like the cameras? Don't run the red light||Aug 29||CodSack||3|
|With GOP Runoff Over, Perdue and Nunn Face Off||Aug 5||Mr Minder||28|
|GOP works to avert Senate upset in Georgia||Jul '14||Le Jimbo||6|
|Perdue wins Republican Senate runoff in Georgia||Jul '14||Cat74||10|
|Georgia Runoff: Republicans Pick Senate and Hou...||Jul '14||Billy Ringo||2|
|DHS Renews 'Mini-Amnesty' for Young Illegal Imm...||Jun '14||Amigo||5|
|Rare alliance of tea party and US Chamber in Ge...||May '14||conservative crapola||3|
Find what you want!
Search Jack Kingston Forum Now