Parents say ratings don't tell the wh...

Parents say ratings don't tell the whole story

There are 10 comments on the Corpus Christi Caller story from Oct 9, 2010, titled Parents say ratings don't tell the whole story. In it, Corpus Christi Caller reports that:

The state puts Robstown High School at near low-performing, noting that 42 percent of students failed the state's math and science exams last year, and 14 percent of the Class of 2009 dropped out of school.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Corpus Christi Caller.

well

United States

#1 Oct 13, 2010
Lets see could it be that just about every person that comes to teach in Robstown School District,does it for the money & probably wasn't qualified to teach any where else.Therefore they dont give a rats as about the kids & whethr they learn thier basics such as reading, writing, math & social studies. I wish that someone would seriously come and test some of these kids on a one to one basis, and for sure don't make it known or announce that ur coming cause they will prepare thier smarter kids.Seriously some of the kid's that do get out of high school, is only because they r pretty much doing it on thier own.Don't get me wrong if ur child is not deviant or the teacher's know thier parents.Rest assured that they will do every thing in thier powers to help them excel. The rest of the kid's just get passed on out of pity or out of spike. What is this world coming too?
Rudy

Rockport, TX

#2 Oct 18, 2010
I say blame the parents. Most of the ones I have seen just don't care or are too busy living their own lives and should have never had kids. If the teachers are so stupid, these kids should all be getting academic scholarships. I know there are some teachers just getting a check, every job field has that problem, but most of the teachers seem sincere in getting the kids to college. Let us look at the parents and what they are doing at home to help further educate their child. Robstown is a smart city and has great people living in it, but let these kids show you what they can really do. Let us challenge them to be more than just another Robstown loser. Also, above ^ learn a little about using the space bar and how to properly type a response. Two spaces after a period and one space between words. You obviously did not take a typing or computer class at one of our fine schools.
really

Falfurrias, TX

#3 Oct 20, 2010
Rudy wrote:
I say blame the parents. Most of the ones I have seen just don't care or are too busy living their own lives and should have never had kids. If the teachers are so stupid, these kids should all be getting academic scholarships. I know there are some teachers just getting a check, every job field has that problem, but most of the teachers seem sincere in getting the kids to college. Let us look at the parents and what they are doing at home to help further educate their child. Robstown is a smart city and has great people living in it, but let these kids show you what they can really do. Let us challenge them to be more than just another Robstown loser. Also, above ^ learn a little about using the space bar and how to properly type a response. Two spaces after a period and one space between words. You obviously did not take a typing or computer class at one of our fine schools.
Get over your high horse about spacing please... Just because you can space twice after a period you think you're the shit. I can positively say that more than 50% of the teachers at RISD are in it for the paycheck and credentials. for the past 19 years I have gotten into it with a teacher from every school because they're too busy worried about their own image rather than admitting that they were wrong or they weren't doing enough. That goes all the way up to the Superintendant. So! Believe it or not, most parents do want their kids to excel. Lets give these teachers (who have earned their Bachelors and Masters to be able to teach here) take TAKS tests. Its been proven, they do a lot worst than the kids who have taken them.
well

Edroy, TX

#4 Oct 22, 2010
Rudy wrote:
Excuse me 4 not spacing correctly and ur right I didn't graduate frm High School , but I can almost bet that I make more money than u. Back 2 the subject If i didn't care or watch over my kid's , I wouldn't be commenting at all so u may be perfect at writing , but u suck at reading between the lines. I have experienced it personally when u try and deal with some of the teacher's as well as principal/vice principal they get offended and have gotten into a yelling match with me. So you tell me Mr know it all who is the professional and why do they come down to that level? Some of the kid's can not even read a straight up sentence , the worst part is half the time they don't even know what they just read. I am talking about kid's in 5th-6th grade, so how do u explain that. You want to blame the parent's and claim that they r not doing thier job, so what is the point of the school? Where do they come in or do u seriously believe that u r there to monitor and not teach ? Just 4 ur FYI I did not go to 1 of ur so called fine schools as a matter of fact I only got up to the 7th grade,but I'll have u know that with that alone I managed to get my Associates. To proof my point I went to a school where the teacher's really cared about the student and not the pay check. I never liked English, spelling or grammer if that's what u want to call it, and if ur not considering a job in teaching typing and or computer's then u can get away with it. Bottom line Robstown School District does not cater to thier student's, nor do they care if they come out of school reading , writing or speaking correctly for that matter and the #'s above show it. Sorry if I offended u but I call it as I see it not as i write it,spell it or fail to space it. LOL
concerned tax payer

Rockport, TX

#5 Oct 24, 2010
I never said the teachers could pass these tests, as a matter of fact, most just teach the test. That is one of the things that is wrong with schools these days. You seem to have gotten a decent education just going up to the 7th grade and all. And it is not about how much money a person makes, it is what they do with it. Teaching is not just supposed to happen at school, parents are supposed to teach their kids how to be respectful and to contribute. Not to be delinquent and cause problems for their underpaid teachers. Teach the kids at home how to act and they will get the job done at school. You expect the schools to teach your kids that stealing is wrong and that talking back is not okay? School is the place where you go to learn basic skills to get a job that anyone can do. After regular school, you go to a trade school or college where they do not put up with bad behavior. School is just a gateway to the working world. You either follow the rules, i.e. showing up on time, wear your uniform properly, complete tasks on time and be respectful to others or you get FIRED! Plain and simple. Teach your kids how to act and I guarantee the idiot teacher that is babysitting your kid won't have to have you in there, away from your illustrious career of making more money than me and sinking to YOUR level. Most of the time I bet they have to do that because you are immature and disrespectful as well. Stay off of the internet and quit having kids. People shouldn't have kids if you they are not going to dedicate your life to raising them and not expecting a school district or the government to do so. And by the way, I am not and would never want to be a teacher. I am though a tax payer as you are also since you do make more money than me, and I don't like seeing my money not being spend the way it should. I say to hell with the athletic department and giving these people every little holiday off. I say make them go year round like us working people do and if they can't hack it, we can put them to work in the fields. I came from a family that did not have anything and never took a government hand out. My parents taught me that I would never earn anything if I expected it to be GIVEN to ME! Educate your children as to the lies they are being told by the schools and their elected officials. The world is not flat and Columbus did not discover America. Teach the kids to pick up a book and learn, this alone will keep them out of trouble. Sorry if I offend you, but as you say, the truth must hurt. Peace I am out!
concerned tax payer

Rockport, TX

#6 Oct 24, 2010
Oh yeah and I think kids these days are friggin morons that cannot finish a complete sentence. And for that I blame both the parents and the schools. They care more about texting and living a glamourous life that they will never achieve because they think they should have what everyone else has.
who is watching

Rockport, TX

#7 Oct 24, 2010
You two need to get a room and handle your frustrations. At least the concerned tax payer has some skills. You might be able to start a taco stand. Stupido pendejos. Both of you are stupids.
hello

San Antonio, TX

#8 Oct 26, 2010
concerned tax payer wrote:
Oh yeah and I think kids these days are friggin morons that cannot finish a complete sentence. And for that I blame both the parents and the schools. They care more about texting and living a glamourous life that they will never achieve because they think they should have what everyone else has.
ahh so well said coming frm a highly so called educated person, ya thats exactly what the kids learn frm ur RISD haaa!!! u all r pathetic coming in here trying to belittle others cause they dont hold a candle 2 ur potty mouth !!!
ho ho ho

Edroy, TX

#9 Oct 27, 2010
who is watching wrote:
You two need to get a room and handle your frustrations. At least the concerned tax payer has some skills. You might be able to start a taco stand. Stupido pendejos. Both of you are stupids.
oh ya dont forget to mention how all these pathetic so called educator's end up sleeping with our kids, junoir high /high school ya Mr & Mrs tax payer's thats what u invest ur tax money in huh !!
and old wench get over it where in da conversation do u get sex frm, who r u talking about wht 2, get a room ,NOT, MORE LIKE GET 4 REAL!!
Jaimie

Madison, WI

#10 Oct 27, 2010
time speed variance, it is sperated, I was able to see the seperated speeds in the calssroom and in society its nuts. But you dont see it you see your own right? I know others see what I see, we watch sober without drugs all the time and sit and go huh But higher speeds I cant see yet. But I had some come through.

SO no they are not taught on same speed or materials.

NAvy left me a open channel for surviellence purposes. But I am stabalised here to co-exist with grandparents.

Now I am looking for my daughters conscious minds and getting ready to battle all their assailents through pray through thought through clones, through siblings clone project, through hybrid warrior affiliations. PRAYER to my siblings and brothering and sistering NAvy CLone projects will never end.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Henry Cuellar Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dem Rep: DHS Releasing Illegal Immigrants Into ... Jan 9 slick willie expl... 16
News Newest Blue Dog Sides with GOP on Repeal of Mid... Jan 5 Captain Yesterday 2
News Murders Up, but El Paso Still Safe, Lawmakers Say Dec 28 Analyst 6
News Border leaders think Trump's tough talk on NAFT... Nov '16 Deportable 26
News South Texas considered possible route for high-... Aug '16 Go Blue Forever 1
News Obama blamed for immigration influx (Jul '14) Jun '16 nanoanomaly 196
News newFull Measure: Broken Dreams (May '16) May '16 wild child 2
More from around the web