Texas prepares for court over voter I...

Texas prepares for court over voter ID law

There are 20 comments on the MySanAntonio.com story from Jun 10, 2012, titled Texas prepares for court over voter ID law. In it, MySanAntonio.com reports that:

Texas is preparing for a legal showdown next month in federal court over a new voter photo ID law passed by the Legislature.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at MySanAntonio.com.

Citizen

Knox City, TX

#1 Jun 12, 2012
Voter ID bill is not really a problem, there are things that the state has done in combination with this law that is leading to disenfranchisement of a portion of the legally eligible voters from being able to vote. The state of Texas has unwittingly allowed the county officials the ability to remove eligible voters from the roles if the voter ID bill is to be allowed to stand. County Officials under the guise of 911 addressing have set a tax for the right to vote on anyone eligible to vote that does not use their 911 assigned address. If you vote in Texas they are making you use a 911 address to list as your residence. So! If you find the assigned address offensive based on religion, or some other reason and you do not use it they have the option to fine you or imprison you. If you do not use the offensive address then you will lose your homestead exemption and face imprisonment and if you use another address you still face fraud charges and a fine. So! Please tell me how you are going to be able to vote under the voter ID bill if you do not wish to use the assigned 911 address that was not posted on your house when you bought it. It is my opinion that the justice department is right in blocking the voter ID law because the state seems to refuse to fix these lousy unsafe addresses that were assigned to the homes of the voting public. Until the State of Texas fixes these breaches of the law they should not be allowed to enact the voter ID bill. The reference that I continue to make online about 911 addresses is not about 911 addressing, it is about civil rights. We are passing laws daily against bullying, and name calling and we are even trying to pass laws against cursing. So! Please tell me why 911 authorities in Texas are being allowed the right to do all of these things without even an eyelash being bent by our state legislature. The state legislature even stated in the statute that there should not be more than 10 roads with a similar name. So! Please tell me why the county where I live is using this Cr or county road logo on even already named roads in abundance. They actually have committed violations of federal laws outside of civil rights law. When a county grants a road easement to a property owner they are making a contract with the property owner and in Texas a verbal contract is just as ironclad as a written contract. I would also like to know why Mr. Abbott is not trying to fix the problems that the justice department has with the Voter ID law being implemented in our state. I do not have a problem with the voter ID bill except that the state has already knowingly passed other legislation that will cause certain eligible voters to not be able to vote without a monetary penalty or possible imprisonment. Voter ID will not work because the state is refusing to fix 911 addressing problems which will make ID's useless in determining a persons right to vote. A person has the right to pursue happiness and 911 assigned addressing goes against this right.

Since: Feb 12

Tucson, AZ

#2 Jun 12, 2012
Texas needs to keep this going. Present proper photo ID or don't vote. Be able to proove you are eligable to vote or don't vote.
This whole PC crap about it is disenfranchising this group or that group is a load of crap.
Old Coastie

Tulsa, OK

#3 Jun 12, 2012
UR BS wrote:
Texas needs to keep this going. Present proper photo ID or don't vote. Be able to proove you are eligable to vote or don't vote.
This whole PC crap about it is disenfranchising this group or that group is a load of crap.
The simple fact is, only a cheat worries about being cheated. If a state wants to have voter IDs, like my state, then if they bend over backwards to get the IDs to LEGAL voters in a timely way.
Who does it hurt?
In Florida, they are trying to purge the dead voters and voters who moved. What's the problem with that. Here, if you don't have your ID with you, you can still vote. It's just held untill they check it out.

The left still cried.
PATRIOT

Carmel, ME

#4 Jun 12, 2012
Old Coastie wrote:
<quoted text>
The simple fact is, only a cheat worries about being cheated. If a state wants to have voter IDs, like my state, then if they bend over backwards to get the IDs to LEGAL voters in a timely way.
Who does it hurt?
In Florida, they are trying to purge the dead voters and voters who moved. What's the problem with that. Here, if you don't have your ID with you, you can still vote. It's just held untill they check it out.
The left still cried.
A lot people got the idea that the voter ID issue caused them to get their new voter cards late. That wasn't the case at all. What caused the delay was the Democrats fighting over the new redistricting maps with the Republicans in court. Without the proper districts being defined, no one knew whether they were in the same, or a new voting district-thanks to the Democratic Congressman Lloyd Doggett we ran three months behind.
Citizen

New Bethlehem, PA

#5 Jun 22, 2012
Fool me once shame on me, foolme twice shame on you, but you can not fool the federal government and it is my belief that if Texas goes to court they will not lose because of the actual voter ID Law that they passed. They will loose as a direct result of descrimination based on an address. I have said it once and I will keep on saying it Texas does have a problem, but it isn't due to voter fraud from the citizen's, but from within its own processes of law. County Government's need to brought into compliance with state and federal law regarding addressing before it can even begin any form of voter ID process. If you require someone to tell you where you say they live then you are infringing upon their civil rights of speech. When you change a county road easements road name then you are violating federal contract law according to section II of the U.S. Constitution about the governments rights to break a legally binding contract that was entered into by them. So! Yeah! The State of Texas will lose any fight that they may have in the court with the federal government over the voter ID bill. The fact is that the state is only looking at the voter ID bill, but the federal government is looking at everything on the books of this state, and how together they violate someones civil rights. It is the state of Texas that created its problems, but it was the local county 911 addressing authorities that actually are causing their problems. Just go down any Rural Highway in East Texas and you will imediately understand that there is an addressing problem, and not everyone uses modern mapping technology and requiring everyong to do so would be unconstitutional. Technology is advancing but part of our society does not beleive in technology and that part will be left behind. Every problem with voting will continue to escalate until someone sane comes along and fixes the emergency 911 systems addressing problems. Put the real names back on the roads and stop playing games with the law. You will find that if you had not violated the law to put in this Cr #### Crap you would have a much safer 911 addressing system than that being promoted by these corporations whose own personal interest is suspect. The state can continue to ignore 911 addressing problems, but they will always be a factor in a democratic government. I know for a fact that my local ( volunteer fire department) has lost thousands of dollars in donations from my family alone and they will soon be losing even more support from other families. When county officials are allowed to play God with the citizens property and with other laws regarding an individuals civil rights, then you should suspect that in a democratic society that the very society itself will break down. I am not anti-government, or anti-law enforcement. I call things as I see them and all I see is a group of men at the local level who are not following the rules. And as for cops in general that are not following the law as it is written. You are not cops, but just someone who wears the badge of office, and a bane to others who wear that badge, you put their lives in danger. Regardless, the state has a few problems that must be fixed before they can legally enforce a voter ID bill and the Justice department is aware of it.
Citizen

Kittanning, PA

#6 Jun 24, 2012
Texas as well as a few other states have a problem. But the biggest problem that they have has seemingly gone by un-noticed. And it involves 911 addresses. There have been outright acts of fraud made by a lot of the 911 addressing authorities. I do not know if it is because they are just negligent, or they planned out their actions. But they keep saying that the state gave the counties the right to set standards for addresses, but they did not and have already set the standards in their addressing statute. The reason that they could not have given the counties this power is because the counties in the state of Texas do not have the power to legislate,and under the law the state can not give them this authority without losing their power over legislation. There are very dangerous legal precedents being set by these COGS if they believe their own lies. And the biggist problem would be that the supreme court of Texas has not given the counties this right because it would infringe on their powers of office. But even regardless of this the statute does not specifically give them the right to set a specific name on any road. So! How can the county be given the power to legislate a bill without the state court having the ability to review. I do not know who is in charge here, but I do not think that the state has abdicated its power to its counties without some form of oversight from the state. I would also like to know where in the statute that DETCOG and the counties in my area see the statute requiring the Cr#### addresses, There is no mandate for this only an allowance of the use. And only the allowance of the use of a similiar name 10 times in use throughout a jurisdiction. You see why I say that you are either breaking the law or are in contempt of the state legislature or the Supreme court of Texas. And now Mr. attorney General of Texas you may be coming to an understanding as to why the justice department has concerns about a bill which by itself would not raise an eyebrow. It is the fact that you do not seem to choose to put your own house in order. The ability to change the name of a road under contract is not a power for the state legislature , the county government, or even the state courts to decide. There must be due process, and the county making the sheriff threaten to deny a person their freedom because they refuse to cooperate with these assigned addresses based on civil rights is illegal. The federal government is not blind just because they have a statue that wears a blindfold. And I am glad to say the American citizenry does not consist of a bunch of lemmings. There are other things that cause the federal government concern over the voter ID bill, and that is the specific ability of the county government to prevent an eligible voter from voting because of these very specific illegal assigned addresses. The 911 addressing statute does not mandate a specific address and the county does not have the authority to set a specific address, it has only the right to set an address that conforms to the standards set in the statute. In other words the county was required by the statute to consult the owners of property that would be affected and only if in conflict. A historically named road has already been set under the law and only requires a mileage number. But regardless of what you think the statute does or does not do. There is no law that conveys the right to commit fraud in the state of Texas, and the justice department has reasons to be concerned because of the current position of our state. Again, I call on our state to fix this problem.
Gunter

Granbury, TX

#7 Jul 2, 2012
The reason VoterID law is being blocked is because if you do not use your assigned 911 address, you will lose your homestead exemption and quite possibly face jail. Whether you like it or not this can be construed as a poll tax, since it possibly regulates your freedom of speech rights. 911 addressing is being abused by some counties for the purpose of preventing some people from voting. We live in a democracy and even a stupid moron politician should understand that excluding the people from the addressing process would result in failure of the system. The 911 addressing mandate regardless of who told you what was not made to let you break other laws. It does not give the authoritiy to break contracts, it does not give you the authority to disrupt communications, and it does not give you the authority to break any laws. The Texas 911 addressing statute only gave the right to set addresses and not change any address because you the county does not like it. A 911 address is supposed to be totally unique unto itself. Cr #### and Pvt #### are not unique and actual represent everything that a 911 addressing system is not supposed to do. A 911 addressing system is to be about safety and not a system. Changing everything as radically as the local officials did in my area was a contributing factor in our economic failures, and the partners in this failure are the phone company and the USPS. A crime was committed by these agencies but their guilt can only be determined by their intentions. The problem will not go away until someone steps up and repairs the addressing damage. For some roads the damage is too far gone and none of the original addresses or the phone systems exist. I have shut my phone off and that puts an end to 911 service for me. But I am contemplating removing my home from the afflicted property and forcing the telephone company to remove their property from mine. If you give them an inch they will try to take a mile. It saddens me that people in a society like ours would stoop so low as to attack the dead, and for no reason that can be seen except someones ego. I hope that you have enjoyed the way that you have mis-used this imaginery power of yours, because the truth will come out, and you will not look pretty. I was told that counties do not have the power to legislate and from everything that I was taught in law school they still do not have this power.
Citizen

Baird, TX

#8 Jul 6, 2012
Now the Newton County Texas Chamber of Commerce is trying to help alleviate the problem with 911 addressing there. The problem there is that the assigned 911 addresses are a safety problem as well as a Legal issue, There was no mandate to rename roads there was an allowance for the renaming of a conflicted road, but no renaming of roads without justification. The chamber giving out paper maps would cause the same problems as text messaging does. The simplest and safety fix is to return the recognized names and to actually put a name on the roads. This Cr#### and pvt #### is unsafe for drivers and property owners, and is causing economic problems for anyone who uses addressing. The answer is right in front of you but your hatred or your ego is stopping you from doing the right thing. You want to know why your being referred to as natzi's or brown shirts as well as facist. You did not put names on roads but labels. And if you were not protected as public officials you would probably have been arrested already for a Hate Crime. We have one official who stated anyone donating money to the U.S. Red Cross should be incarcerated. We have a sheriff who says that he is the law. And the others telling us not to argue that they know what is best for us. I thought civic leaders were supposed to listen to the people not try to dominate them at every turn. My property belongs to me when did the constitution give you absolute authority over my property without my consent. Cr#### addresses are unsafe and so are pvt #### addresses. The state legislature did not give you the authority to legislate addressing without judicial oversite from the Texas Supreme Court. They do not even enjoy that right.
Tony

Broken Arrow, OK

#10 Jul 6, 2012
Social security numbers and other ID thefts and fakes being made are going up.
Gunter

Purcell, OK

#11 Jul 8, 2012
Presenting ID to vote is not really the issue, but who decides your address is a very important part of the issue. I do not think that you are considering the fact that the county officials can determine who has the right to vote. And that is the real problem. I am an American and I live in Texas and some people are making adjustments to addresses to prevent people from doing anything let alone vote. I do not live on a road by the name of Cr #### and yet the county judge seems to think that I do. The road that I live on was named after the man who made it long before the county judge who currently resides in office was born. And yet with nothing more than a whim supposedly through 911 addressing statute it bears the initials Cr #### and be dam contracts, safety issues, and historical references. Everything that makes up our society has been thrown out the window. You can say that the Republicans are responsible for voter ID, but it is the Democrats in my county that are going to do what the Republicans are being accused of and it is already happening. Whoever controls the addresses controls the elections under voter ID laws. Fix the addressing mess and you may be able to get voter ID laws passed. If I say that I live on a road named Hunter Drive and the County does not recognize that road then I would not be eligible to vote under the law. It would not however change the fact that I live on a road named Hunter Drive, but it would prevent me from voting. The problem with voter ID law in Texas is that they currently are saying that they have the right to say where you live by assigned addressing through they claim the 911 addressing statute. This is in violation of the constitutional right of Freedom of Speech. And in some instances may violate hate crime law. They should never have tampered with addresses through 911 addressing statute. The statute did not give the counties the right to set addressing standards, it gave them the right only to set addresses. The statute did not give them the right to rename roads unless there was a conflict with another road having a similar name. And instead of following the statutes standards they under the direction of the COG's renamed a vast majority of the roads Cr#### OR Pvt ####. This type of addressing defeats the whole purpose of having a 911 address. A 911 address is to not look, sound, or be similar to any other address. The federal government has every reason to believe that a lot of peoples voting rights are in jeapordy here. And it is my opinion that these liberties taken with 911 addressing are directly responsible for our poor economy. You can not create all new addresses without believing that you will not affect the economy. The fact that this type of thing could destroy an economy seems to be totally lost on our government. Trust is the main issue and a voting system being set up by people who do not honor their own contracts is where crime begins. The 911 addressing mandate did not give anyone the right to break laws without legally justifiable reasons for doing so. Changing things to fit a system is not a good reason to break laws.
Tony

Broken Arrow, OK

#12 Jul 8, 2012
Republicans vote for Gary Johnson for President the alternative for Mitt Romney. Go Johnson 2012.

“2012: End of an Error”

Since: Jun 12

I will stand with the muslims

#14 Jul 8, 2012
Citizen wrote:
Voter ID bill is not really a problem, there are things that the state has done in combination with this law that is leading to disenfranchisement of a portion of the legally eligible voters from being able to vote. The state of Texas has unwittingly allowed the county officials the ability to remove eligible voters from the roles if the voter ID bill is to be allowed to stand. County Officials under the guise of 911 addressing have set a tax for the right to vote on anyone eligible to vote that does not use their 911 assigned address. If you vote in Texas they are making you use a 911 address to list as your residence. So! If you find the assigned address offensive based on religion, or some other reason and you do not use it they have the option to fine you or imprison you. If you do not use the offensive address then you will
Woah, woah WOAH!

Addresses are "offensive"?

How?

“2012: End of an Error”

Since: Jun 12

I will stand with the muslims

#15 Jul 8, 2012
Tony wrote:
Social security numbers and other ID thefts and fakes being made are going up.
Well, then, laws against that kind of activity should be in the spotlight, not the unrelated issue of having to prove you have the right to vote before they let you do it.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#16 Jul 8, 2012
Tony wrote:
Republicans vote for Gary Johnson for President the alternative for Mitt Romney. Go Johnson 2012.
Libertarian Spoilers 2012!
Gunter

Rio Vista, TX

#17 Jul 9, 2012
The people who issue you your voter registration card will be the same people who will ask you for your PHOTO ID at the polls. It looks to me like there might be more of a problem with the mail than just vote fraud. There are more issues with voter ID in Texas than maybe you understand. Presenting ID to purchase alcohol is just a way to prove your age. Presenting ID with a check or credit card purchase is just to prove that the funds you plan to use are yours. But to present an ID + voter registration card is to prove you have civil rights in this country to cast a vote. And this should be a little more important an issue to people than to know how much money or how old you are. The major problem that I see with Voter ID law is that at this present moment the county government has the right according to them to change your address at their leisure. Now I do not believe that they have this right personally, and I think that they are abusing the 911 addressing statute for their own purposes. But let's just say that there is the possibility that certain county officials could use this ability to say target Republican or Democratic Voters from voting by simply changing their street name under the guise of 911 addressing in their county's jurisdiction they could legally prevent certain individuals from voting, or at the very least having their vote counted. The general public has been making fun of me for a while now but I have studied law and until the state of Texas gets a handle on 911 addresses that were assigned by county officials without any supervision from the state then the state should not be given the right to impose a voterID law that under present conditions does nothing to prevent vote fraud. If they are serious about preventing Vote Fraud then they should look more closely at how the county commissioners are instituting 911 addressing in our state. I personally feel that if the county officials are willing to manipulate the 911 addressing statute to their will then what will stop them from abusing their will on the Voter ID law. Freedom of Speech is a right of every citizen and yet under 911 addressing the citizens are not being allowed to exercise this right. It is my opinion that voter ID will stop vote fraud from happening during the actual voting process but will not stop vote fraud from occuring since most voter fraud that has been discovered in the past has involved those assigned to prevent it and usually before actual voting is to take place. Voter ID is just another steel bar being added to imprison or enslave the citizenry. Anyone supporting voter ID in Texas under the present conditions of our state can look forward to the day that the state can ask for your papers to leave your house. These gestapo, natzi, and brown shirt remarks may seem like a joke to those who did not live through that period but I want you to know that the holocaust did take place and that your country prevented its spread. And I would like to understand why people in this country today are so willing to surrender their rights to such a small group of people without any really good reason. Voter Fraud is no different than speeding or any other law violation. They will catch you sooner or later. The truth is there and all you need to do is open your eyes to see it.
imaginaryfriend

Sterling Heights, MI

#18 Jul 9, 2012
Texas has courts? Kangaroo, I'm sure!

Since: Feb 12

Tucson, AZ

#20 Jul 10, 2012
The voter ID requirement is a must. The 911 addressing will not prevent anyone from voting. A valid picture ID with a valid address is all that is required. The 911 system can call the street anything they like it has no impact on the city planning maps. Additionally if the name of a street is changed officially then that change is recorded and the person can still vote.
Trying to tie the 911 addressing to the voter ID is doing nothing but aiding the people trying to vote illegally.
Require photo ID to vote period.
PATRIOT

Carmel, ME

#21 Jul 12, 2012
Gunter wrote:
The reason VoterID law is being blocked is because if you do not use your assigned 911 address, you will lose your homestead exemption and quite possibly face jail. Whether you like it or not this can be construed as a poll tax, since it possibly regulates your freedom of speech rights. 911 addressing is being abused by some counties for the purpose of preventing some people from voting. We live in a democracy and even a stupid moron politician should understand that excluding the people from the addressing process would result in failure of the system. The 911 addressing mandate regardless of who told you what was not made to let you break other laws. It does not give the authoritiy to break contracts, it does not give you the authority to disrupt communications, and it does not give you the authority to break any laws. The Texas 911 addressing statute only gave the right to set addresses and not change any address because you the county does not like it. A 911 address is supposed to be totally unique unto itself. Cr #### and Pvt #### are not unique and actual represent everything that a 911 addressing system is not supposed to do. A 911 addressing system is to be about safety and not a system. Changing everything as radically as the local officials did in my area was a contributing factor in our economic failures, and the partners in this failure are the phone company and the USPS. A crime was committed by these agencies but their guilt can only be determined by their intentions. The problem will not go away until someone steps up and repairs the addressing damage. For some roads the damage is too far gone and none of the original addresses or the phone systems exist. I have shut my phone off and that puts an end to 911 service for me. But I am contemplating removing my home from the afflicted property and forcing the telephone company to remove their property from mine. If you give them an inch they will try to take a mile. It saddens me that people in a society like ours would stoop so low as to attack the dead, and for no reason that can be seen except someones ego. I hope that you have enjoyed the way that you have mis-used this imaginery power of yours, because the truth will come out, and you will not look pretty. I was told that counties do not have the power to legislate and from everything that I was taught in law school they still do not have this power.
I know what you mean by the term "stupid moron politician" in defining what elected officials are in this country. I have tried for years to convince people to quit electing 'lawyers' to public office.
Citizen

Aspermont, TX

#22 Jul 18, 2012
UR BS must not understand what it means to be American. American's do not like to be muzzled by their elected officials. You sir are free because of people who died in combat to protect your civil rights. 911 addressing should be enacted within the law and does not give anyone the right to break the law to make addresses that harm people even if the people making these addresses do not believe that they are harming anyone. When a citizen files a complaint about how an address is causing him harm then these officials should endeaver to change it regardless of their personal feelings or how it affects their 911 addressing system. I want you to understand that there are still patriots out here. And we are willing to show our society the ugly truth where we find it. And if you do not have a problem being called a name or grouped based on your socia-economic background then chances are you think like a red-neck. But in defence of these people they would not like the N word being used to describe them. The government of our country has done so much to stop this behavior, then UR BS why do you think that 911 addressing should be allowed to reflect this behavior in rural areas. You may not understand what I am saying, but in response to your comment 911 addresses are offensive to some people who have these demeaning type names assigned to their homes and being publically scolded by their own employees makes the very bile rise up in their stomachs. And if you can not see how 911 addressing can be used to stop people from voting then you should go to any church in your area and try to force people to sign up as passengers for a trip to HELL and see the response you get. And this should explain to you that naming roads cr#### is no different when these addresses are assigned by legal force.

Since: Feb 12

United States

#23 Jul 18, 2012
Citizen wrote:
UR BS must not understand what it means to be American. American's do not like to be muzzled by their elected officials. You sir are free because of people who died in combat to protect your civil rights. 911 addressing should be enacted within the law and does not give anyone the right to break the law to make addresses that harm people even if the people making these addresses do not believe that they are harming anyone. When a citizen files a complaint about how an address is causing him harm then these officials should endeaver to change it regardless of their personal feelings or how it affects their 911 addressing system. I want you to understand that there are still patriots out here. And we are willing to show our society the ugly truth where we find it. And if you do not have a problem being called a name or grouped based on your socia-economic background then chances are you think like a red-neck. But in defence of these people they would not like the N word being used to describe them. The government of our country has done so much to stop this behavior, then UR BS why do you think that 911 addressing should be allowed to reflect this behavior in rural areas. You may not understand what I am saying, but in response to your comment 911 addresses are offensive to some people who have these demeaning type names assigned to their homes and being publically scolded by their own employees makes the very bile rise up in their stomachs. And if you can not see how 911 addressing can be used to stop people from voting then you should go to any church in your area and try to force people to sign up as passengers for a trip to HELL and see the response you get. And this should explain to you that naming roads cr#### is no different when these addresses are assigned by legal force.
What the hell are you talking about?
Post the item where I said any of that crap you claim.
By the way do not assume to preach to me about Patriots. I carried many of my friends out of the mud to be packed and shipped back to the states so if you think you can lecture me on standing up for this country well why don't you come on down and we will see who will be standing.
I got a real good idea for ya. Forget the 911 addressing let them remove your street address from all the records and then when you call for help you can try and direct them to your house. How about that? Work for you?
Besides none of that has anything to do with presenting proof that you are eligable to vote when you go to the polls. So it is simply a ruse to try and keep the illegals voting.
Now talk about not knowing what it means to be an American. Aiding illegals to destroy one of our most precious rights by voting when they are not legally allowed to do so is not understanding what America is all about.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Henry Cuellar Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Obama blamed for immigration influx (Jul '14) Jun 29 nanoanomaly 196
News newFull Measure: Broken Dreams May '16 wild child 2
News Officials see 'influx' of Cuban immigrants as l... Mar '16 Truthfull 1
News Chicken Little Chuckie Schumer: America's Disea... Feb '16 Ritual Habitual 3
News Cuellar Says Budget Deal Includes Crucial Forei... (Dec '15) Dec '15 ronnie 3
News Growing shockwave of illegal immigrants bring n... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Truthfull 4
News House Dems willing to save John Boehner (Sep '15) Sep '15 YouDidntBuildThat 3
More from around the web