Sensible gun controls work

Sensible gun controls work

There are 5714 comments on the The Tennessean Nashville News story from Jan 23, 2011, titled Sensible gun controls work. In it, The Tennessean Nashville News reports that:

With public opinion appearing to swing away from gun-control laws in the past decade, efforts such as that of U.S. Rep.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Tennessean Nashville News.

First Prev
of 286
Next Last

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#5974 Mar 5, 2012
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
Welcome back twinkle toes...
"poofs"...?...really ...?...lol
You ever watch South Park?
ha ha

Charlottesville, VA

#5975 Mar 5, 2012
BEEP BEEP wrote:
<quoted text>
>Mom I want some cheesy poofs<
i thought all of you left wing commie dicksuckers liked gay people must be another demorat lie that they did

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#5976 Mar 9, 2012
Highlander wrote:
<quoted text>
You say you want to 'feel' empowered.
Well, allow me just this: You can ~never~'feel' empowered, as there is no such thing as 'feeling' empowered.
The ONLY way to BE empowered, is to, well,=BE= EMPOWERED.
Do you REALLY =WANT= to =BE= EMPOWERED?
Well, STEP OUT and =BE= yourself.
Here, ONE MORE TIME: The way to =BE= yourself, is to STEP OUT and =BE= yourself.
To =BE= yourself means to be able to defend yourself against ALL attacks against =>YOUR<= person, whilst doing such AFFIRMATIVELY, and WITHOUT RESERVATION.
Or, simply stated: You exercise your =RIGHT= to self=defence, and do so without reservation.
Remember: IT IS =NOT= a requirement that you defend your actions against an attacker. Rather, it is the requirement of whatever prosecution to validate a crime against yourself by dint of whatever charge they might manufacture against yourself, relative to your act of self-defence.
And remember: SELF-DEFENCE is=NEVER= a crime in a free republic!
One thing I would never have is reservations about self-defense.
food for thought

Nashville, TN

#5977 Mar 20, 2012
I heard someone say that Obama was going to attack the 2nd Amendment viciously if he gets a 2nd term. It could have been www.infowars.com . I just want to point out that the President has NO AUTHORITY TO VIOLATE THE 2ND AMENDMENT. ZERO! That should get him in some legal/lawful trouble in the end, shouldn't it?

“Tu ne cede malis”

Since: Dec 06

Lots of different places

#5978 Mar 20, 2012
food for thought wrote:
I heard someone say that Obama was going to attack the 2nd Amendment viciously if he gets a 2nd term. It could have been www.infowars.com . I just want to point out that the President has NO AUTHORITY TO VIOLATE THE 2ND AMENDMENT. ZERO! That should get him in some legal/lawful trouble in the end, shouldn't it?
Well, the President has no ~enumerated~ power to violate U.S. Cont. Art. I, Sect. 9, Clause (2)(writ of Habeas Corpus), but Lincoln did so with impunity, if only that neither the Congress nor the USSC did anything to stop him. Understand there also, that Art. I addresses the power of the Congress, and ~not~ the President.
Understand too, that because of the Congress' inaction in the matter regarding Lincoln, that subsequent Presidential administrations have claimed that they have the power to do the very same thing by dint of precedent.
However such proclamations are without validity, inasmuch as inaction on the part of the Congress cannot be said to have 'amended' the U.S. Constitution in any way, if only because there is no mechanism imbedded in that document which would afford such.
So yes: You are most correct that there is 'ZERO AUTHORITY' to violate any right at all, especially because of the Ninth Article of Amendment:
覧覧覧覧覧
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
覧覧覧覧覧
So, as you may readily see, regardless whether a right is enumerated, ALL RIGHTS are 'retained' by the people without reservation.
One final point: The reason that certain rights are enumerated, is because it was ~those~ particular rights which had been subject to the greatest degree of depredation under the English Monarch and his Parliament.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Since: Oct 07

Blue Ridge Mountains

#5979 Mar 23, 2012
Highlander wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, the President has no ~enumerated~ power to violate U.S. Cont. Art. I, Sect. 9, Clause (2)(writ of Habeas Corpus), but Lincoln did so with impunity, if only that neither the Congress nor the USSC did anything to stop him. Understand there also, that Art. I addresses the power of the Congress, and ~not~ the President.
Understand too, that because of the Congress' inaction in the matter regarding Lincoln, that subsequent Presidential administrations have claimed that they have the power to do the very same thing by dint of precedent.
However such proclamations are without validity, inasmuch as inaction on the part of the Congress cannot be said to have 'amended' the U.S. Constitution in any way, if only because there is no mechanism imbedded in that document which would afford such.
So yes: You are most correct that there is 'ZERO AUTHORITY' to violate any right at all, especially because of the Ninth Article of Amendment:
覧覧覧覧覧
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
覧覧覧覧覧
So, as you may readily see, regardless whether a right is enumerated, ALL RIGHTS are 'retained' by the people without reservation.
One final point: The reason that certain rights are enumerated, is because it was ~those~ particular rights which had been subject to the greatest degree of depredation under the English Monarch and his Parliament.
Excellent post High, I could not have exopained it better!
scooter

El Dorado Springs, MO

#5980 Mar 23, 2012
yernogoood- wrote:
<quoted text>So THIS is what you consider evidence?
do you keep your head up your ass all the time?

“Tu ne cede malis”

Since: Dec 06

Lots of different places

#5981 Mar 23, 2012
scooter wrote:
<quoted text>
do you keep your head up your ass all the time?
I will consider that for him it's a congenital condition.
Otherwise, you shouldn't waste your time with the trolls.
Runny runny runny babbit

Lake Forest, CA

#5982 Mar 23, 2012
SO what XD.
Self Protection -

Chandler, AZ

#5983 Mar 24, 2012
who cares

Oak Hill, WV

#5985 Mar 24, 2012
You know what I like about the topic of gun control? Most of the time when I get tired of hearing libs whine about it, it makes me go out and spend money on buying another firearm. Damn, my collection of arms is getting enormous. Thanks libs. Oh, and they are all legal.
Self Protection -

Chandler, AZ

#5986 Mar 24, 2012
....goes beyond adondom.

Real life stories..
http://www.streetpro.com/usp/stories.html
dork

Thane, India

#5989 Mar 25, 2012
fdgfd

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#5990 Mar 26, 2012
Gun control is WRONG.We have a government full of CRIMINALS running the country right now.Our rights are all but vanished.The patriot act and ndaa of 2012 are two very good reasons we need to HOLD ON to our guns!!Tyranny has covered our land in the name of "security" and the REVOLUTION is right around the corner-VOTE RON PAUL 2012!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 286
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Representative Gabrielle Giffords Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Norway Massacre: Could It Happen in the U.S? (Jul '11) Jun 18 swedenforever 600
News Texas law professor calls for repeal of Second ... (Nov '13) Jun 16 benzboat 12,163
News Former Congresswoman Giffords, wounded in 2011 ... Jun 16 barefoot2626 19
News Navy ship christened for Giffords, wounded in 2... Jun 14 goonsquad 1
News Palin explains 'blood libel' comment (Jan '11) Jan '15 swedenforever 524
News Memorial has yet to emerge 4 years after Giffor... Jan '15 Cordwainer Trout 3
News No end to 2014 election as House recount begins... (Dec '14) Dec '14 We are here to stay 1
More from around the web