In wake of Trayvon Martin death, hear...

In wake of Trayvon Martin death, hearing examines racial profiling

There are 24 comments on the The Wichita Eagle story from Apr 17, 2012, titled In wake of Trayvon Martin death, hearing examines racial profiling. In it, The Wichita Eagle reports that:

11 attacks, when the practice targeted many Arab-Americans and American Muslims.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Wichita Eagle.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Vivek Golikeri

Hollywood, FL

#1 Apr 17, 2012
Was it racial profiling, or merely a fear of crime? Unless we find clear evidence of racist animus by Zimmerman, no use just assuming.
Cat74

United States

#2 Apr 17, 2012
Treyvon was not a wonderful boy working hard to provide a civilized future for himself, and his parents. Men like Treyvon always end up the same way. In Chicago every week end the young black men make targets of each other. They kill innocent children, they have no stabl home, that is how they amuse themselvess. God forbid they should get jobs, work hard in school to find a way out of poverty. They like that way of life. That is how their Daddys, and Grandaddies, and Uncles all grew up, and are lucky if they reach the age 40 still alive. You go to the SW side in Chicago, and it is like a war zone.
pure bs

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Apr 18, 2012
where is the outrage, where is the mainstream media, where are the activists, where are the race baiters, where is obama, where are the anti gun nuts, where are the profiling foes, where are the hundreds of outraged topix threads ?
oh yeah, was a whitey woman and her 3 day old spawn that the kneegrow killed and kidnapped to make a slave. won't even make a ripple in this race infested rathole of a country turned monkey jungle that obama, holder, farrakhan etc have made of the USA.

“Do be afraid”

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#5 Apr 18, 2012
I have no idea what the Trayvon Martin incident has to do with Police racial profiling but profiling works and that is why many don't like it.
Busted

Germany

#6 Apr 18, 2012
thatz just wrong wrote:
I have no idea what the Trayvon Martin incident has to do with Police racial profiling but profiling works and that is why many don't like it.
You were profiled as a racist and guess what? You are!!!

“Assimilate & Speak English!”

Since: Jan 07

Lansing, IL - now: Pomp Bch FL

#7 Apr 18, 2012
Who cares what effect it has on illegal immigration? Illegal alien is not a race in the first place, and illegal aliens should be afraid of being targeted.

And what is with this Wilson saying: "Black boys and men are valuable to society." ??? Like any other color of boys and men aren't?

Get over the color crap, people! And stop Affirmative Action. How much more racially profiling can you get?

#8 Apr 18, 2012
Busted wrote:
<quoted text>
You were profiled as a racist and guess what? You are!!!
You were profiled as an ignorant idiot and, guess what? You are! And guess what else? Your punctuation sucks! Wow! Guess you're not very bright, either!

By the way, stay in Germany. We don't want you here.
Maggie

Saint George, UT

#10 Apr 19, 2012
Cat74 wrote:
Treyvon was not a wonderful boy working hard to provide a civilized future for himself, and his parents. Men like Treyvon always end up the same way. In Chicago every week end the young black men make targets of each other. They kill innocent children, they have no stabl home, that is how they amuse themselvess. God forbid they should get jobs, work hard in school to find a way out of poverty. They like that way of life. That is how their Daddys, and Grandaddies, and Uncles all grew up, and are lucky if they reach the age 40 still alive. You go to the SW side in Chicago, and it is like a war zone.
I would bet $10 that blacks and latinos kill each other at a higher rate than whites kill either group. Sad but I do not know how you stop it. Neither group knows how to stop it and each time a white person or even one of their own like Bill Cosby trys to help,they attack verbally. I wish there was a solution.

“Liberal Teachers ruin Kids”

Since: Mar 09

Paradise Valley Arizona

#11 Apr 19, 2012
racial profiling is done everyday and it works
ChicagoAmerican

Midlothian, IL

#13 Apr 20, 2012
Much to the chagrin of jesse and al, this one could be turning 180 on them since there is a picture of Zimmerman 3 mins after being arrested that shows blood trickling down the back of his head as if his head had hit the concrete with Martin in top of him as he initially claimed.

I can't wait to see the slack jaws on jesse and al if this is true?
More

Saint Louis, MO

#14 Apr 20, 2012
George Zimmerman had bandages on nose and head after shooting, neighbors say. CBS News 4/17/12.
Fools to the Utmost

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Apr 20, 2012
More wrote:
George Zimmerman had bandages on nose and head after shooting, neighbors say. CBS News 4/17/12.
That's because Treyvon was standing his ground after being chased by a white racist with a gun.
Fools to the Utmost

Los Angeles, CA

#16 Apr 20, 2012
Vance1 wrote:
racial profiling is done everyday and it works
Sure it does, that's why Maricopa County has paid out millions in lawsuits over their racial profiling games.

#17 Apr 20, 2012
Maggie wrote:
<quoted text>
I would bet $10 that blacks and latinos kill each other at a higher rate than whites kill either group. Sad but I do not know how you stop it. Neither group knows how to stop it and each time a white person or even one of their own like Bill Cosby trys to help,they attack verbally. I wish there was a solution.
According to the below independent report, blacks commit most of their crimes against whites, then against blacks, and last against Hispanics. Of course, many places put Hispanics in with Whites (as they usually *are* white, since Hispanic is not a race...kind of like they keep calling Zimmerman white).

http://www.nc-f.org/colorofcrime/index.html

Race, Crime and Justice in America
The Color of Crime
New Century Foundation
Oakton, VA 22124

Second, Expanded Edition

Major Findings
• Police and the justice system are not biased against minorities.

Crime Rates
• Blacks are seven times more likely than people of other races to commit murder, and eight times more likely to commit robbery.

• When blacks commit crimes of violence, they are nearly three times more likely than non-blacks to use a gun, and more than twice as likely to use a knife.

• Hispanics commit violent crimes at roughly three times the white rate, and Asians commit violent crimes at about one quarter the white rate.

• The single best indicator of violent crime levels in an area is the percentage of the population that is black and Hispanic.

Interracial Crime

• Of the nearly 770,000 violent interracial crimes committed every year involving blacks and whites, blacks commit 85 percent and whites commit 15 percent.

• Blacks commit more violent crime against whites than against blacks. Fortyfive percent of their victims are white, 43 percent are black, and 10 percent are Hispanic. When whites commit violent crime, only three percent of their victims are black.

• Blacks are an estimated 39 times more likely to commit a violent crime against a white than vice versa, and 136 times more likely to commit robbery.

• Blacks are 2.25 times more likely to commit officially-designated hate crimes against whites than vice versa.

Gangs

• Only 10 percent of youth gang members are white.

• Hispanics are 19 times more likely than whites to be members of youth gangs. Blacks are 15 times more likely, and Asians are nine times more likely.

Incarceration

• Between 1980 and 2003 the US incarceration rate more than tripled, from 139 to 482 per 100,000, and the number of prisoners increased from 320,000 to 1.39 million.

• Blacks are seven times more likely to be in prison than whites. Hispanics are three times more likely.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/crimoff.htm

The prevalence of imprisonment in 2001 was higher for
-- black males (16.6%) and Hispanic males (7.7%) than for white males (2.6%)
-- black females (1.7%) and Hispanic females (0.7%) than white females (0.3%)

# Lifetime chances of a person going to prison are higher for

-- men (11.3%) than for women (1.8%)
-- blacks (18.6%) and Hispanics (10%) than for whites (3.4%)

# Based on current rates of first incarceration, an estimated 32% of black males will enter State or Federal prison during their lifetime, compared to 17% of Hispanic males and 5.9% of white males.

More information:

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/race.ht...

#18 Apr 20, 2012
Fools to the Utmost wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because Treyvon was standing his ground after being chased by a white racist with a gun.
And if Zimmerman was getting an award, he'd be termed Hispanic.

“Food for thought”

Location hidden

#19 Apr 20, 2012

“Food for thought”

Location hidden

#20 Apr 20, 2012
Rebel wrote:
<quoted text>
And if Zimmerman was getting an award, he'd be termed Hispanic.
And why is that?

“Food for thought”

Location hidden

#21 Apr 20, 2012
Maggie wrote:
<quoted text>
Crime and race can be related to several factors such as education, poverty and socioeconomical status.

#22 Apr 20, 2012
CAF2 wrote:
<quoted text>
And why is that?
Because he's half Hispanic...on his mother's side. On his voter's registration, he listed himself as Hispanic.

“Food for thought”

Location hidden

#23 Apr 20, 2012
Rebel wrote:
<quoted text>
Because he's half Hispanic...on his mother's side. On his voter's registration, he listed himself as Hispanic.
You said if Zimmerman was getting an award he'd be considered Hispanic.

Why would him getting an award make people consider him Hispanic?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Representative Frederica Wilson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Some of the Proposals for Tackling Student Debt (Mar '14) Thu Meow Meow Meow 11
News Officials: Zika won't hurt South Florida touris... Aug 23 WeTheSheeple 28
News Florida governor criticizes Washington for lagg... Aug 8 Washington Sugs Now 2
News Spraying by air for mosquitoes, Florida steps u... Aug 5 SirPrize 3
News Zika Fight Progress in Miami: Gov. Aug 5 Go Blue Forever 1
News Florida police shoot autistic man's caretaker a... Jul '16 He Named Me Black... 14
News 2 US Congresswomen support #BringBackourGirls c... (Aug '15) Aug '15 SaveOurMoronSheila 22
More from around the web