In domestic violence bill, long-await...

In domestic violence bill, long-awaited victory for women's groups

There are 80 comments on the CBS News story from Mar 7, 2013, titled In domestic violence bill, long-awaited victory for women's groups. In it, CBS News reports that:

More than a year after the expiration of the Violence Against Women Act , President Obama heads to the Department of Interior today to sign into law its reauthorization, signaling a long-awaited victory for advocates on behalf of women, domestic violence victims, and American Indians who were for months stymied in their efforts to get the bill ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS News.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Ninthman

“Obama Shames the USA”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#1 Mar 7, 2013
"For the first time in the [post-1970s] modern era, the Congress is substantially altering the jurisdictional framework - they are recognizing a power that Indians have over non-Native people," he said. "That is so significant in terms of looking at the scope of tribal power."

Obama is nuts.
Ninthman

“Obama Shames the USA”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#2 Mar 7, 2013
Let's bring back scalping.

au contraire

“Forever Is Promised To No One”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#3 Mar 7, 2013
It's too bad that paying women less in the white house was not included as an attack on women.
Responsibility

Redwood City, CA

#4 Mar 7, 2013
How eloquently the article states:

Republicans were unsuccessful in their efforts to significantly weaken them this time around, and the complaint about Native American judicial jurisdiction was ultimately overruled even in the GOP-controlled House of Representatives.

Thank you to all those who worked on this issue - we women have been watching.
Responsibility

Redwood City, CA

#5 Mar 7, 2013
au contraire wrote:
an attack on women.
Yes, we women will be continuing to address these issues, especially reproductive rights and those republicants who believe in transvaginal ultrasound probes, aspirins between the legs, Planned Parenthood bashing, legitimate "rape" and the kind of nonsense the republicants continue to spew on womens reproductive rights and our need for these backward thinking folks to stay out of our wombs and our bedrooms.

Since: Dec 07

Athens, TX

#6 Mar 7, 2013
Responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, we women will be continuing to address these issues, especially reproductive rights and those republicants who believe in transvaginal ultrasound probes, aspirins between the legs, Planned Parenthood bashing, legitimate "rape" and the kind of nonsense the republicants continue to spew on womens reproductive rights and our need for these backward thinking folks to stay out of our wombs and our bedrooms.
The democrats wanted to exclude certain religions from this bill including muslims who beat their women. Republicans said no, it will include everyone in America.

The dem propaganda machine is leaking hydrolic fluid.

Athens, TX

#7 Mar 7, 2013
Responsibility wrote:
Republicans were unsuccessful in their efforts to significantly weaken them this time around, and the complaint about Native American judicial jurisdiction was ultimately overruled even in the GOP-controlled House of Representatives.
The anti-violence bill should never have become partisan, said Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., a sponsor of the Senate bill. "That is why I applaud moderate Republican voices in the House who stood up to their leadership to demand a vote on the Senate bill."

The Senate passed its bill on a 78-22 vote with every Democrat, every woman senator and 23 of 45 Republicans supporting it.

Try to keep up, and check your propaganda before shooting off your big mouth.

au contraire

Location hidden

#8 Mar 7, 2013
Responsibility wrote:
Who's article pookie, Pravda or the Washington Post.

Athens, TX

#9 Mar 7, 2013
Responsibility wrote:
My state is overwhelmingly republican...you beat up a woman here and you go to the penitentury........for a long stay..womens shelters in all cities..

This vote against by some republicans was the concept that this should be a state issue and not a further growth of the federal government by obama and crew. It's really nothing about women and protecting them. I assure you, a republican will step in to protect women more than anyone....women get beat up every day in the ghetto's and those guys didn't vote republican. Try to keep up.
Don Joe

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Mar 7, 2013
Bluebonnets-Thistle wrote:
<quoted text>
My state is overwhelmingly republican...you beat up a woman here and you go to the penitentury........for a long stay..womens shelters in all cities..
This vote against by some republicans was the concept that this should be a state issue and not a further growth of the federal government by obama and crew. It's really nothing about women and protecting them. I assure you, a republican will step in to protect women more than anyone....women get beat up every day in the ghetto's and those guys didn't vote republican. Try to keep up.
Really? I lived in Texas for a while. I remember the Dallas police killing a child for loitering downtown. When asked about it, the police officer said he told some kids to move along, when one of them, took the officers gun. The kid was so fast the officer didn't have any chance to react. His partner pulled his gun and killed the child. There was no suspension of the officers pending an investigation, in fact there was no investigation. The chief of police said he believed his officers and no investigation was needed.

I asked the people I worked with if they were bothered by this and they said no. When I said I was uncomfortable with it, they asked why? They said that since I wasn't black, it would never affect me.

Needless to say we moved out shortly after that.
Responsibility

Redwood City, CA

#11 Mar 7, 2013
Bluebonnets-Thistle wrote:
<quoted text>
a republican will step in to protect women more than anyone.
Geez - what propagandized nonsense.

Do the republicants hand over an aspirin a la Friess? LOLL
Responsibility

Redwood City, CA

#12 Mar 7, 2013
au contraire wrote:
<quoted text>Who's article pookie, Pravda or the Washington Post.
Dear, you might want to read the interesting comment from the article at the top of this thread before spewing your nonsense:

... While resistance to that and other expansions of the bill was sufficient to stall its progress in Congress last year, however, Republicans were unsuccessful in their efforts to significantly weaken them this time around, and the complaint about Native American judicial jurisdiction was ultimately overruled even in the GOP-controlled House of Representatives. The Senate bill ultimately passed, to cheers, with broad bipartisan support - just minutes after the chamber voted overwhelmingly to reject a scaled-back, GOP-penned bill.

Jumbles, if CBS News is incorrect, perhaps you should spam them with the correct information.
Far Away

Anchorage, AK

#13 Mar 7, 2013
Children and the elderly are the only people worthy of carve-out legislation for their protection, including mandatory, harsh punishment for those inflicting injury upon them.

There are far too many special, cafe-type laws for different demos among us. Trust me, you aren't special because you're a woman, black, homosexual or other. We're all humans.
BLIND AMERICANS

Fullerton, CA

#14 Mar 7, 2013
JUST ANOTHER SMOKESCREEN TO COVER UP THE FACT THAT OBAMA IS BY FAR THE WORST EXCUSE FOR A PRESIDENT EVER.
HISTORY WILL JUDGE HIM EVN TOUGH ALL OF YOU COMPLETE IDIOTS THAT VOTED FOR HIM TWICE WILL NEVER ADMIT HOW BAD YOU BLEW IT AND FOR WHAT REASONS. QUESTION? AFTER TWO TERMS OF THIS CLOWN WILL IT STILL BE BUSH'S FAULT?

au contraire

Location hidden

#15 Mar 7, 2013
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? I lived in Texas for a while. I remember the Dallas police killing a child for loitering downtown. When asked about it, the police officer said he told some kids to move along, when one of them, took the officers gun. The kid was so fast the officer didn't have any chance to react. His partner pulled his gun and killed the child. There was no suspension of the officers pending an investigation, in fact there was no investigation. The chief of police said he believed his officers and no investigation was needed.
I asked the people I worked with if they were bothered by this and they said no. When I said I was uncomfortable with it, they asked why? They said that since I wasn't black, it would never affect me.
Needless to say we moved out shortly after that.
Boy steels gun, officers and public in danger, officer shoots boy before he can kill someone else.......problem solved. Like Trayvon, it the kid would have left well enough alone he would be alive today..........maybe..... but doubt it.

au contraire

Location hidden

#16 Mar 7, 2013
Responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear, you might want to read the interesting comment from the article at the top of this thread before spewing your nonsense:
... While resistance to that and other expansions of the bill was sufficient to stall its progress in Congress last year, however, Republicans were unsuccessful in their efforts to significantly weaken them this time around, and the complaint about Native American judicial jurisdiction was ultimately overruled even in the GOP-controlled House of Representatives. The Senate bill ultimately passed, to cheers, with broad bipartisan support - just minutes after the chamber voted overwhelmingly to reject a scaled-back, GOP-penned bill.
Jumbles, if CBS News is incorrect, perhaps you should spam them with the correct information.
oh right CBS, the people that change peoples words or omit them.
Chicopee

United States

#17 Mar 7, 2013
Responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you should look past the CBS report and actually do some research concerning the finer points and arguments against certain aspects of this bill being expanded, how those expansions will be enforced or how they might come in to be in conflict with other existing federal statutes and laws, or be used as precedent to sidestep existing federal laws on a wider scale.
As much as it pains me to do so, I applaud any Congressman, Republican or otherwise, who had the gumption to vote against the expansion, while being fully aware that the law, as it already existed, was still being enforced and employed.
CBS News has a troubling history of editing stories and incorrect reporting. Anyone with a scrap of intellectual curiosity will wisely follow up on anything they report, and, as in this case, find out exactly what was left out.
But for some of you, as long as it demonizes the right party, it's all good. Facts be damned.
Justin

Richmond, VA

#18 Mar 7, 2013
The wording of the bill provides special legal protection and thousands of visas for undocumented immigrants, which is ironic considering the machismo of Mexican men.
Chicopee

United States

#19 Mar 7, 2013
Responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>
Please understand that you don't speak for all women...in fact, your tired rhetoric makes some of us cringe.
Speaking of rape, where are all you womens "rights" cheerleaders while the State of Colorado is trying to restrict a woman's right to protect herself against assaults and rapes, using blatantly false statisitics and ridiculous arguments about how a woman should be able to protect herself against a male attacker? Whistle?? Run for the nearest "call box"??
The silence from the women's rights groups is deafening.
Responsibility

Redwood City, CA

#20 Mar 7, 2013
Chicopee wrote:
<quoted text>
Please understand that you don't speak for all women..
No, I don't - I speak for women who believe women have the right to choose what they do with their bodies and should be equal in this world.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eric Cantor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News House Speaker John Boehner to resign from Congress (Sep '15) Jun 18 Marine Corp Pat 89
News House primaries in Ga., Calif., show pressures ... Jun 5 Go Blue Forever 4
News Eric Cantor endorses Jeb Bush for president (Aug '15) May '16 Granny Hooker Heroin 9
News Donald Trump won't rule out trying to oust Paul... May '16 woodtick57 2
News Palin: Paul Ryan's 'Career is Over' for Not Sup... May '16 YouDidntBuildThat 2
News PHILLIPS: The last days of the Republican Party (Oct '13) Mar '16 Klingon 2,196
News First House GOP primaries will test anti-incumb... Feb '16 USA today 1
More from around the web