KVZK TV to air "a History of American Samoa"

Oct 31, 2009 Full story: Samoa News 59

Visitors to our islands as well as local residents will be pleased to hear that Part Three of "A History of American Samoa" will be aired on KVZK TV this Saturday at 7:00 p.m. Written and directed by Dr.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“TIGRESS,SCORPION ,PHOENIX”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#1 Nov 1, 2009
Would be nice to see a preview or pilot vid of this. Quite interesting indeed to see the culmination of Dr. Aga's work on this significant subject matter.
Great to see the familiar names of those who continue to contribute their time,passionate beliefs.. and energy, and who continue to serve as mentors in the field of education.

Congratulations to y'all.
Cinta

Pago Pago, American Samoa

#3 Jan 11, 2013
Hi,
Im a resident on island and i just wanna say THANK YOU....i wouldn't noe anything going on island except from gossip.But then i wouldn't noe if they r real facts...You guys do what u do..Thanks for ur generosity!!!!!
Gloria

Pago Pago, American Samoa

#4 Jan 11, 2013
Hey <3
I love watching KVZK every evening at 6...I t really helps me learn more about the economy of our island.Im a resident like Cinta and it's great listening to latest news nd things happening on island......u r all a reliable resource for me nd my relatives! KEEP ON DOIN WAT U DO...LETS GO KVZK!!!!!
Pineapple

Bainbridge Island, WA

#5 Jan 24, 2013
Sorry, I just thought that a Samoan radio station they would speak Samoan and not palagi...you listen to a Spanish or Korean station, these people speak their own native language on the air...why can't we...very disappointing. And they wonder why our generations today are having trouble understanding and speaking the native tongue.

“MASINA”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#6 Jan 24, 2013
Pineapple wrote:
Sorry, I just thought that a Samoan radio station they would speak Samoan and not palagi...you listen to a Spanish or Korean station, these people speak their own native language on the air...why can't we...very disappointing. And they wonder why our generations today are having trouble understanding and speaking the native tongue.
They do speak Samoan. Do you listen throughout the day? Perhaps you aren't listening to the right station. I have heard the broadcasts in English and Samoan.
Ami

Tacoma, WA

#7 Jan 24, 2013
Taupoimasina wrote:
<quoted text>
They do speak Samoan. Do you listen throughout the day? Perhaps you aren't listening to the right station. I have heard the broadcasts in English and Samoan.
Masina, I did listen to it thru out the day...I'm just saying, if you're going to be a Samoan radio station, then why does the English language need to be included? My opinion is, those that speak English aren't proud enough to speak Samoan if you call yourself a Samoan radio station...again, it's just an opinion...

“MASINA”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#8 Jan 24, 2013
Ami wrote:
<quoted text>
Masina, I did listen to it thru out the day...I'm just saying, if you're going to be a Samoan radio station, then why does the English language need to be included? My opinion is, those that speak English aren't proud enough to speak Samoan if you call yourself a Samoan radio station...again, it's just an opinion...
Are you talking about the local radio stations in Tutuila?

I don't know whether to state that English speaking Samoans @ these radio stations, back in Tutuila, are not proud enough to speak their own language. I believe they are quite capable, as they are bilingual, except for a few number of English speaking only..palagi's at the stations. If it states that it is a Samoan language only broadcast station, I would understand that there should be no need to utilize the English language.

I understand what you are saying and it certainly would be a great idea to have a Samoan language only radio broadcast station. Its a great and legitimate point.

If you are talking about and concerned about what you consider maybe as a "lack of hearing the Samoan language," look at the TV station...well of course there is the local and world news in Samoan, and then English.
News in Samoan(aside from English) language is in the newspaper format as well.

I would state that the radio broadcasts are bilingual, except for a few general community notices that need to be broadcast in other languages,fijian,niue,tuvalu,t ongan,chinese,korean,filipino, taiwanese, et cetera. as there is a diverse and growing community.

Having a Samoan radio station...with all things Samoan considered...is a wonderful idea that needs to take flight...and more importantly...a reliable funding source. Great point!

“MASINA”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#10 Jan 26, 2013
Poly KING wrote:
LOL@American Samoa history... If I was from Tutuila, I'd be pretty humiliated and wouldn't want to watch the history on it... nothing to be proud of being colonized and enslaved. sheeesh!! these Samoans seem to find pride in every little dumb petty ufa thing.. Wouldn't be surprised if they were proud of how they siko in the bushes of Upolu... Se saki my poki!! LOL hahaha
MOVE ON HATER..
Take your fanga kuli moe puaka ways back to where you learned it from...your family!
Ami

Tacoma, WA

#11 Jan 30, 2013
Taupoimasina wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you talking about the local radio stations in Tutuila?
I don't know whether to state that English speaking Samoans @ these radio stations, back in Tutuila, are not proud enough to speak their own language. I believe they are quite capable, as they are bilingual, except for a few number of English speaking only..palagi's at the stations. If it states that it is a Samoan language only broadcast station, I would understand that there should be no need to utilize the English language.
I understand what you are saying and it certainly would be a great idea to have a Samoan language only radio broadcast station. Its a great and legitimate point.
If you are talking about and concerned about what you consider maybe as a "lack of hearing the Samoan language," look at the TV station...well of course there is the local and world news in Samoan, and then English.
News in Samoan(aside from English) language is in the newspaper format as well.
I would state that the radio broadcasts are bilingual, except for a few general community notices that need to be broadcast in other languages,fijian,niue,tuvalu,t ongan,chinese,korean,filipino, taiwanese, et cetera. as there is a diverse and growing community.
Having a Samoan radio station...with all things Samoan considered...is a wonderful idea that needs to take flight...and more importantly...a reliable funding source. Great point!
thank u masina...I just want our language to be lost because it's doesn't seem as if it's a necessity any more for our younger generation whether they are raised in the island or on the main land, but any how....I hope our Samoans will continue to hold their language close to heart and not forget where they came from.
stopit

Australia

#12 Jan 30, 2013
Ami wrote:
<quoted text>
Masina, I did listen to it thru out the day...I'm just saying, if you're going to be a Samoan radio station, then why does the English language need to be included? My opinion is, those that speak English aren't proud enough to speak Samoan if you call yourself a Samoan radio station...again, it's just an opinion...
AGREE......
stopit

Australia

#13 Jan 30, 2013
Ami wrote:
<quoted text>
thank u masina...I just want our language to be lost because it's doesn't seem as if it's a necessity any more for our younger generation whether they are raised in the island or on the main land, but any how....I hope our Samoans will continue to hold their language close to heart and not forget where they came from.
I don't think samoan language will be lost anytime soon,nor the next generation and the next,and the next... so,next!! hehe lol.
Ami

Tacoma, WA

#14 Jan 31, 2013
stopit wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think samoan language will be lost anytime soon,nor the next generation and the next,and the next... so,next!! hehe lol.
When you find your kids only understanding and can't speak, it's an issue. When you find your grand kids not understanding or speaking Samoan, it's an issue. It's a shame when other nationalities such as Chinese, Korean, Russian, Mexican etc..their kids not only are able to speak it, but understand it..how sad is it when your own kids and grand kids cannot understand and speak samoan...so guess what happens to their kids and grandkids, they will be non-speaking samoans too...
stopit

Australia

#15 Jan 31, 2013
Ami wrote:
<quoted text>
When you find your kids only understanding and can't speak, it's an issue. When you find your grand kids not understanding or speaking Samoan, it's an issue. It's a shame when other nationalities such as Chinese, Korean, Russian, Mexican etc..their kids not only are able to speak it, but understand it..how sad is it when your own kids and grand kids cannot understand and speak samoan...so guess what happens to their kids and grandkids, they will be non-speaking samoans too...
malo ami....I totally understand your concern and also agree with what your saying,it does happen.. but that all comez down to the parentz??like tell them fa'apalagi at school,fa'asamoa at home!! Some parentz let their kidz speak english at home thinking itz gonna help their education?Or is it to help themselvez learn english? lol... if they can understand samoan?Surely they can reply back in samoan,if you sasa it out of their mouth? hehehe ... give them some vailima,you'll hear them yap fa'asamoa non-stop lol... itz not as bad as the maori language when they almost lost it couple of yearz ago... do what my uncle did...he took his son for a holiday and left him there for 1x year hahahaha lol... letz just say hez not a fia gangsta anymore hehehe. too many samoanz worldwide to lose the lingo lol..
Itz kinda late to drill it into them when they're teenagerz,just send them to sa hahaha.
ulu poki

Orlando, FL

#16 Jan 31, 2013
Ami wrote:
<quoted text>
When you find your kids only understanding and can't speak, it's an issue. When you find your grand kids not understanding or speaking Samoan, it's an issue. It's a shame when other nationalities such as Chinese, Korean, Russian, Mexican etc..their kids not only are able to speak it, but understand it..how sad is it when your own kids and grand kids cannot understand and speak samoan...so guess what happens to their kids and grandkids, they will be non-speaking samoans too...
stop being dramatic, i have several Mexican friends who dont even speak spanish..if you grow up in USA then of course some kids may not speak Samoan, but to say that in Am. Samoa theres a risk of losing the language because of radio? GTFO..lol

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#17 Jan 31, 2013
ulu poki wrote:
<quoted text>
stop being dramatic, i have several Mexican friends who dont even speak spanish..if you grow up in USA then of course some kids may not speak Samoan, but to say that in Am. Samoa theres a risk of losing the language because of radio? GTFO..lol
SE, is there sumting wong wif Samoa language today? lol haha

“MASINA”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#18 Jan 31, 2013
Ami wrote:
<quoted text>
When you find your kids only understanding and can't speak, it's an issue. When you find your grand kids not understanding or speaking Samoan, it's an issue. It's a shame when other nationalities such as Chinese, Korean, Russian, Mexican etc..their kids not only are able to speak it, but understand it..how sad is it when your own kids and grand kids cannot understand and speak samoan...so guess what happens to their kids and grandkids, they will be non-speaking samoans too...
So AMI...are you saying that this is an issue back in the islands?
Because, I would have to disagree with that sentiment.
ulu poki

Orlando, FL

#19 Jan 31, 2013
Taupoimasina wrote:
<quoted text>
So AMI...are you saying that this is an issue back in the islands?
Because, I would have to disagree with that sentiment.
Ami is new on topix...lol
stopit

Australia

#20 Jan 31, 2013
ulu poki wrote:
<quoted text>
stop being dramatic, i have several Mexican friends who dont even speak spanish..if you grow up in USA then of course some kids may not speak Samoan, but to say that in Am. Samoa theres a risk of losing the language because of radio? GTFO..lol
shhh... speak for yourself... she was genuine with her concernz.. understand her view,your pride is blinding you from reality lol... itz not about radio you fufu lol
...you said it yourself,some kidz don't speak samoan!!! aimuli hihihi lol.
stopit

Australia

#21 Jan 31, 2013
Poly KING wrote:
<quoted text>SE, is there sumting wong wif Samoa language today? lol haha
lol.. nah fing wong,jus ulu have a tai ni po ki hehehe lol.

“TIGRESS,SCORPION ,PHOENIX”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#22 Feb 4, 2013
Please work on controlling yourselves, from posting personal attacks, and polluting the legitimate news threads with your nasty and unrelated rubbish.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eni Faleomavaega Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
VIDEO: Questions about Eni's health continue to... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Talofa 1
Lawsuit over American Samoa citizenship dismissed (Jun '13) Jun '13 polo_kaukau 1
Stateless man stuck in American Samoa calls exp... (Oct '12) Jan '13 Taupoimasina 43
Wikileaks reveals US concerns over claims to Sw... (Jul '11) Nov '12 dognes 29
Eni says citizenship question should be decided... (Nov '12) Nov '12 ulu poki 7
Fa'asao Marist High School graduates 58 (Jun '10) Sep '12 MILKYWAY 2
Samoan Federation of America, Inc.: "We need to... (Jul '12) Jul '12 alofa777 9
•••

Eni Faleomavaega People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••