U.S. House passes bill authorizing Ka...

U.S. House passes bill authorizing Kalaupapa memorial

There are 1 comment on the Seattle Post-Intelligencer story from Feb 12, 2008, titled U.S. House passes bill authorizing Kalaupapa memorial. In it, Seattle Post-Intelligencer reports that:

“Many families have gone to Kalaupapa to search for the graves of their ancestors; but, with only 1,300 marked graves, most are disappointed.”

The U.S. House on Tuesday passed legislation authorizing the establishment of a memorial in honor of Hansen's disease patients forcibly relocated to Kalaupapa in the 1800s and 1900s. via Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Seattle Post-Intelligencer.

Honolulu, HI

#1 Feb 13, 2008
it is a very good thing for a kalaupapa memorial...i feel for those people who cannot find their ancestors in the leprosy colony. i, myself, were one of the fortunate ones...my great, great grandfather was a former senator for the territory of hawaii in the early 1900's before contracting this terrible illness. being a former gov't official, he was laid to rest in a place of honor and his gravesite has been well maintained. i am currently writing a story of his life and this breaking news of a memorial will be a splendid addition to my film. i encourage everyone to support this worthwhile cause...ALoHa!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eni Faleomavaega Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News KVZK TV to air "a History of American Samoa" (Nov '09) Jan '15 lelauniunasaelua77 60
News VIDEO: Questions about Eni's health continue to... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Talofa 1
News Lawsuit over American Samoa citizenship dismissed (Jun '13) Jun '13 polo_kaukau 1
News Stateless man stuck in American Samoa calls exp... (Oct '12) Jan '13 Taupoimasina 43
News Wikileaks reveals US concerns over claims to Sw... (Jul '11) Nov '12 dognes 29
News Eni says citizenship question should be decided... (Nov '12) Nov '12 ulu poki 7
News Fa'asao Marist High School graduates 58 (Jun '10) Sep '12 MILKYWAY 2
More from around the web