Denver Archbishop Chaput praises lawm...

Denver Archbishop Chaput praises lawmakers for killing civil unions bill

There are 64 comments on the coloradoindependent.com story from Apr 6, 2011, titled Denver Archbishop Chaput praises lawmakers for killing civil unions bill. In it, coloradoindependent.com reports that:

In his weekly column at the Denver Archdiocese website, Archbishop Charles Chaput celebrated the death of state Senator Pat Steadman’s same-sex civil unions bill. He said the bill was not about civil rights but about “securing legitimacy for personal behaviors that most societies and religious traditions have found problematic.” He listed the names and addresses of the six Judiciary Committee Republicans who voted to kill the bill and asked Catholics to contact the lawmakers and thank them.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at coloradoindependent.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Equal Equals Equal

San Mateo, CA

#3 Apr 6, 2011
just another dude in an ugly dress spreading their bigotry and hate. The bible is a book of FAITH, not FACT. So tired of these bigots using it to oppress others.
Bob

Houston, TX

#4 Apr 6, 2011
It's time to work on getting the government to tax the churches. They seem to have so much say in politics, let them pay for it.
We (gays) pay and get nothing for it.
Franklin Stantoni

Omaha, NE

#5 Apr 6, 2011
Bob wrote:
It's time to work on getting the government to tax the churches. They seem to have so much say in politics, let them pay for it.
We (gays) pay and get nothing for it.
in addition, start reminding everyone cockroach ameriKKKan you run into that you are an AMERICAN CITIZEN!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#6 Apr 6, 2011
At least they can't claim is just about protecting marriage anymore.

That lie has been fully exposed now.

“Dancing Madly Backwards ”

Since: Apr 11

Sacramento, CA

#7 Apr 6, 2011
We just dont care..Its funny though..
Franklin Stantoni

New York, NY

#9 Apr 6, 2011
And some people wonder WHY I'm a PROUD & VOCAL ANTI-CATHOLIC.

They HATE Freedom Of Religion.

Remember what Martin Luther said: "Give me Liberty, or give me death !"

:)

“Created Equal”

Since: Feb 08

USA

#10 Apr 6, 2011
"behaviors that most societies and religious traditions have found problematic"

An Archbiship of the Roman Catholic Church should know all about problematic things.

Like how the church for over four centuries of "the inquisition" persecuted, tortured, and killed non-christians for the "crime" of "heresy."

Like how to excuse the fact that the church imprisoned Galileo from 1633 until his death for saying that the Earth orbited the Sun.

Like how to explain that the Church supported Adolph Hitler and the Nazis prior to the ascention of Pope Pious XII.

...How to get around the fact that the POPE was himself a member of the Hitler Youth.

...How to explain that the church deliberately covered up HUNDREDS of complaints about pedophile priests, and shielded them from exposure and prosecution.

...How Catholic clergy in Rwanda were directly responsible for inciting a Hutu-led revolution and mass genocide.

Yes, representaatives of the Vatican are uniquely qualified to leacture the rest of us on behaviors that society finds problematic.

OG Sniper

Since: Mar 11

Stay off my porch

#11 Apr 6, 2011
I dont like the "Simon says " stuff..Every time I go to church..The guy up front starts his babbling that I cant understand and then says please rise..Everybody stands up..He says be seated ..Everybody sits..Please rise, please sit..I never know when to stand or sit cause I cant understand what hes saying in the first place..I go to the Blue Dome Church..Nobody makes you sit or stand..You do what you want..Nobody tries to convince you of faith in a book,, just faith in your fly..Only rule at The Blue Dome church....Dont talk religon..Catch and release Amen...

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#12 Apr 6, 2011
We're coming up on the Seventh Aniversary (May 17) of Civil Marriage for same-sex couples in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. I don't know how many couples have wedded in those 7 years but I do know how many weddings ( both same-sex and 'traditional') churches have been required to perform. Zero, zilch, nada, nolla, null, ...

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#13 Apr 6, 2011
ScottyMatic wrote:
Like how the church for over four centuries of "the inquisition" persecuted, tortured, and killed non-christians for the "crime" of "heresy."
You make it sound as if the RCC discriminated against non-Christians. They persecuted, tortured, and killed Christians for heresy, as well.
Franklin Stantoni

New York, NY

#14 Apr 6, 2011
DaveinMass wrote:
We're coming up on the Seventh Aniversary (May 17) of Civil Marriage for same-sex couples in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. I don't know how many couples have wedded in those 7 years but I do know how many weddings ( both same-sex and 'traditional') churches have been required to perform. Zero, zilch, nada, nolla, null,...
And over Massachusetts, the sky crumbled and fell, and the earth opened up and swalled all those EVILDOERS JUST as the Catholics and others said it would !

:)

ROFL

OG Sniper

Stay off my porch

#15 Apr 6, 2011
why would church's be "required" .. just curious..Im kinda anti church..anti religion..Not atheist..But I dont believe that the bible is accurate..I think there was a creator long before all the jeezus stuff..So I just curious..Is that a rule or something..Dont they charge big bucks..
Franklin Stantoni

New York, NY

#16 Apr 6, 2011
OG Sniper wrote:
why would church's be "required" .. just curious..Im kinda anti church..anti religion..Not atheist..But I dont believe that the bible is accurate..I think there was a creator long before all the jeezus stuff..So I just curious..Is that a rule or something..Dont they charge big bucks..
Doesn't who charge "big bucks" for what ?

OG Sniper

Stay off my porch

#17 Apr 6, 2011
Franklin Stantoni wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't who charge "big bucks" for what ?
dont you have to pay the church for wedding services ?

OG Sniper

Stay off my porch

#18 Apr 6, 2011
I was actually asking Davinmass,but I didnt use a quote..If you were he my question would have been clear..
Franklin Stantoni

New York, NY

#19 Apr 6, 2011
OG Sniper wrote:
<quoted text>dont you have to pay the church for wedding services ?
I'm a church-going Lutheran for more than 40 years, and have been to weddings at churches of many different denominations, and I have NEVER heard of a Protestant church charging a fee for a wedding. Not once, not ever. If some churches or denominations do this, it's not something I ever heard of.

Where did you hear this ?!

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#20 Apr 6, 2011
OG Sniper wrote:
I used the term 'required' to drive home the point that no church is required by the state to marry anyone. But it is mostly churches and the religious right that fight against same-sex marriages. They spend so much time fighting against it when they aren't even effected by it. They don't have to perform same-sex marriages. They don't have to get married to a same-sex spouse.

My usual observation on this matter is:

Religious marriages are sacred.

Civil marriages are legal.

They are 2 different institutions and the only one up for debate are civil marriages. Churches have always been free to marry, or not marry, any individuals that come to them. In fact, in states that prohibit same-sex civil marriages, those same same-sex couples may find churches that will marry them religiously. There are some churches, mainly Universalists, that have stopped doing civil marriages and will only do religious marriages (both same-sex and 'traditional') until their state opens civil marriage to same-sex couples.
Franklin Stantoni

New York, NY

#21 Apr 6, 2011
Where did you get this "big bucks for weddings" idea from ?!

Anyone ever hear of this ?

OG Sniper

Stay off my porch

#22 Apr 6, 2011
Franklin Stantoni wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a church-going Lutheran for more than 40 years, and have been to weddings at churches of many different denominations, and I have NEVER heard of a Protestant church charging a fee for a wedding. Not once, not ever. If some churches or denominations do this, it's not something I ever heard of.
are you saying that church's dont receive a dime connected to having a half day wedding service at a church..Anybody can have their wedding without paying a cent for it..?
Franklin Stantoni

New York, NY

#23 Apr 6, 2011
OG Sniper wrote:
<quoted text>are you saying that church's dont receive a dime connected to having a half day wedding service at a church..Anybody can have their wedding without paying a cent for it..?

I have been to MANY weddings over the decades, at churches of various denominations (Protestant AND Roman catholic).

I have NEVER experienced, nor heard of, a wedding ceremony lasting "half a day". Are you just making this stuff up as you go along ? Have you every actually BEEN to a wedding ?!

All of the wedding ceremonies I have been to at a church have been less than an hour. I have NEVER heard of a fee being charged or required. Are you THAT ignorant ?! Do you ever actually ATTEND a church ?! You certainly sound like you never have done so.

There IS a custome of giving the pastor, or whomever else performed the ceremony, a gratuity. But as far as I know, doing so, and the amount, is completely up to the married couple.

Where are you getting this nonsense from ?!

Anybody else want to jump in here on this ?

LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Representative Ed Perlmutter Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News American men who died fighting Islamic State co... Sep '16 Stephany McDowell 1
News For Obama, golf is an escape, even when he brin... (Aug '15) Aug '15 American_Infidel 56
News VA: Cut spending or delay projects to finish De... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Satan Pickets 1
News VA must find millions to finish troubled Denver... (May '15) May '15 mjjcpa 4
News Colorado Democratic Party leader election in tu... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Elise Gingerich 1
News House votes to allow marijuana-related banking (Jul '14) Jul '14 Far Away 5
News Obama reassures Dems on health care, immigration (Jul '13) Aug '13 _White American_ 4
More from around the web