Thanks -- for big and little things

Thanks -- for big and little things

There are 16 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Nov 22, 2007, titled Thanks -- for big and little things. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

First, on a personal note, I would like to express heartfelt appreciation for the nice staff person from the Greater Baltimore Committee who grabbed a wad of paper napkins and helped me out of an embarrassing ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

examiner reader

Mount Airy, MD

#1 Nov 22, 2007
thanks to the internet and the examiner so i do not have to purchase the sun and support dan and his left wing views.
if he wants to pay more taxes let him. let the state build a halfway house next to his house. send his kids to city schools in east baltimore.
the sun should get rid of this ultra-liberal, who is all talk and no action.
MCG

Baltimore, MD

#2 Nov 22, 2007
Thanks to "examiner reader" for living outside of the Baltimore City limits. I always find it interesting how conservatives who like to bash Baltimore City do so from the comfort of their suburban homes in Baltimore, Harford, and Carroll counties. Maybe if "examiner reader" was brave enough to come to our neighborhood in East Baltimore (Patterson Park), he would find a very active group of urban professionals who take great pride in their neighborhood. Has he ever volunteered on a community streetscape project or on his local neighborhood watch (or as us naive liberals call it "Citizens on Patrol")? Oh yeah, I forgot he lives in a perfect Stepford world where he never has to worry about crime.
Greg

AOL

#3 Nov 22, 2007
"Let us give thanks that HD radio is on the way. Soon we'll be able to hear sneering ridicule, ad hominem attacks, veiled bigotry, xenophobia, homophobia, hurtful innuendo, misogyny and inappropriate sexual references more clearly."

Yea, let's give thanks to this farce called HD Radio, which is destroying the broadcast bands with adjacent-channel interference. But this is the plan of big corporate radio - jam the mom-and-pop stations into submission:

http://hdradiofarce.blogspot.com/
examiner reader

Mount Airy, MD

#4 Nov 22, 2007
dear mcg,
that is what makes america great. that i (and you) are allowed to live where we want and can afford to. as being "brave" to visit the patterson park, only during the day. and go three blocks away and you take your life in your hands. as for volunteering, i have my hands full working to pay taxes and provide for my family. i make no excuses for being a consertative and making the "right"choices in my life. you want to live in the cesspool called baltimore city fine. i prefer to live in a community where there are not 275 murders a year and mu property tax rate is half of the city's .
as for dan, well, see the tribune's circulation and advertising numbers.

“WeatherBlogger, Baltimore Sun”

Since: Aug 07

Baltimore, MD

#5 Nov 22, 2007
Examiner Reader is, of course, free to have his own opinions. And he is entitled to disagree with Dan's. As are we all. But at least Dan has the courage to sign his with his real name.
examiner reader

Mount Airy, MD

#6 Nov 22, 2007
danny gets paid to sign his name. you choose to. i do not. we all make choices. welcome to america
MCG

Baltimore, MD

#7 Nov 22, 2007
Examiner Reader,

So are you implying that I don't pay taxes and provide for my family? Maybe if you bothered to do a little research, you would realize that Baltimore City has the highest local property tax rate in the state of Maryland (and it has one of the highest local income tax rates as well), so I'm fairly certain my effective tax rate is higher than yours. I also find enough time out of my 40+ hour per week work schedule to help make my neighborhood a better place to live, so I don't buy your "I'm too busy to providing for my family to volunteer" excuse (as Chris Rock would say, "You're supposed to take care of your kids!").

I challenge you to compare the murder rate in Parkville, MD to the murder rate in the "cesspool" of my zip code (21224). I'm sure you'll be rather surprised to find that the murder rates in these two locales are comparable.

Dr_Paul_Vincent_ Zecchino

AOL

#8 Nov 22, 2007
We give thanks that 'HD Radio' saved our dying radio stations.

For long and painful decades, listeners suffered the indignity of hearing entirely too many radio stations. These stations aired interesting, enjoyable programs.

HD Radio cured this horror by jamming local and independent stations, so that only BigRadio's bland, scripted drones can be heard above HD's noise barrage.

HD radio's jamming simplifies choices and makes life easy. Do we truly need to hear out of town stations? No. Have we any business listening to compelling programs? No.

Thank you, HD.

Dr. Paul Vincent Zecchino
Manasota Key, Florida
22 November, 2007
'no soy medico'
Matt

Freehold, NJ

#9 Nov 22, 2007
I'm thankful for Dan's columns throughout the years.

Since: Jun 07

Baltimore, MD

#10 Nov 22, 2007
Sounds like Dan's off his medication aagain
examiner reader

Mount Airy, MD

#11 Nov 22, 2007
hey mcg,
bet you voted for yo'malley and love all the higher taxes. of course the black hole aka baltimore city already receives half of it's budget from the state and federal governments. enjoy your higher taxes, higher v.d. rate, higher illgitimate birth rate, higher welfare rate, higher murder rate.
when was the last time someone in your area had his car broken into? probally last night. you and left wing rodricks deserve each other.
but neither you or liberal dan live in east baltimore( federal and gay) or west balto. you both live in gentrifed, white areas.
Tom

Baltimore, MD

#12 Nov 22, 2007
My property tax differential for living in the City? 635 dollars.

Cost of car window for one break-in since 1985? 88 dollars.

Not having to live next door to Examiner Reader? Priceless.
MCG

Baltimore, MD

#13 Nov 22, 2007
Actually, examiner reader, I live in a multi-racial neighborhood. If I had to guess the racial makeup, I would say 1/3 white, 1/3 black, and 1/3 Latino (Don't worry, I'll give you enough time to figure out whether or not that adds up to 100%). And I do consider myself to be a resident of East Baltimore as it is located TO THE EAST of Federal and Gay St. The crime in Patterson Park is nowhere near the level of West Baltimore, but I wouldn't consider it to be gentrified (in comparison to Canton, Fells Point, and Federal Hill).

You seem to forget that while Ehrlich did not raise taxes, he did raise tolls and user fees (didn't he double the car registration fees?). Tell me, how do you like paying $5 instead of $2 every time you cross the Susquehanna River or paying $2 instead of $1 to cross the tunnels or the Key Bridge?

And if you're an Examiner reader who looks forward to the Sun's demise, why do you keep visiting the Sun's website? All you're doing is helping the Sun get more online advertising revenue through your multiple visits to the website. I'll be happy to draw you a diagram if you don't understand this concept.
Thanks

United States

#14 Nov 22, 2007
Thanks to route 70, I am escaping Maryland for West Virginia. Ta-ta, or as is more commonly heard in O'Martyland, adios!
Fred Burke

Phoenix, MD

#15 Nov 22, 2007
I think both you guys need to visit the other guy's neighborhood. Neither is Parkville Stepfordish nor Patterson Park gentrified. Don't you guys get around? Its all Baltimore, hons. Sheesh.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
MCG

Baltimore, MD

#16 Nov 23, 2007
Point well taken, Fred.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dutch Ruppersberger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hea s along for the ride with Martin Oa Malley Apr '15 Scoops 1
News Obama proposal: Hacked companies have 30 days t... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Kid_Tomorrow 1
News Obama's 'cautious' approach on ISIS is panned (Aug '14) Sep '14 the Light 11
News Pelosi: Cheney is 'proud' of Bush-era CIA that ... (Apr '14) Apr '14 conservative crapola 1
News Iran's ability to enrich uranium troubles U.S. ... (Dec '13) Dec '13 name 23
News New NSA revelations stir congressional concern (Aug '13) Aug '13 Robert 12
News Under fire, U.S. spy agency defends surveillanc... (Aug '13) Aug '13 bottlecap 12
More from around the web