Gay rights, civil rights causes conve...

Gay rights, civil rights causes converge even if terms donít

There are 37 comments on the www.washingtonpost.com story from Aug 30, 2013, titled Gay rights, civil rights causes converge even if terms donít. In it, www.washingtonpost.com reports that:

When speakers at Wednesday’s "Let Freedom Ring" rally listed the social injustices that still need to be addressed, discrimination based on sexual orientation made almost every speech.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.washingtonpost.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Scholar86

Greenwood, MS

#21 Aug 30, 2013
Whether you like it or not, gay rights is a civil rights issue, so as women issues and issues that relates to other groups that are discriminated against.
Scholar86

Greenwood, MS

#22 Aug 30, 2013
Some people don't like gay because of the anal sex thing. For one thing, not all gay people practice anal sex. Another thing, you have a lot of straight couples who practice anal sex, and that includes some black couples.
Scholar86

Greenwood, MS

#23 Aug 30, 2013
They are many people that do not live the right way and couldn't care less about the Bible. When the issue of homosexuality comes up, that is when they want to act all religious.
Scholar86

Greenwood, MS

#24 Aug 30, 2013
I just wanted to show how hypocritical many people can be when it comes to this issue.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#25 Aug 30, 2013
Scholar86 wrote:
I especially hate it when people use the Bible to justify their hate. The bible does say that homosexual acts are an abomination, but I also don't think God would want us to mistreat anyone because of it.
Not to start a fight, since it looks like we're generally on the same side of this issue, but this statement leaves me with many questions.

I think people who use the Bible to justify homophobia are doing exactly what they have been commanded to do. If you think that God doesn't want gay people mistreated, then you should look again at Leviticus 20:13. "They shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them". Sounds like a fairly clear description of treatment to me.

I think that a good question is, WHY should God declare that homosexuality is an abomination? I can EASILY explain why murder, or theft, or lying are bad behaviors (and they aren't even called "abominations"). I wouldn't want them done to me, so I avoid doing them to other people. I don't need a god to explain this to me. But homosexuality? If someone wants it, then what is the harm of this between consenting adults? If it is not intended for anyone to engage in homosexuality, then why are there people who feel NO other sexual attraction EXCEPT toward their own gender?

Why should such people have to endure a label like "abomination"? If God didn't mean for gay people to be mistreated, then why use such a volatile word? What did he THINK was going to happen, when you call people that? Couldn't he foresee the centuries of hatred and abuse that would come from this?

If there's a god, then I think his opinion of gay people is clear, and I think that people who mistreat gay people are perfectly in line with the Bible's commands.

“RAINBOW POWER!”

Since: Oct 08

I Am What I Am.

#26 Aug 30, 2013
EdmondWA wrote:
If there's a god, then I think his opinion of gay people is clear, and I think that people who mistreat gay people are perfectly in line with the Bible's commands.
Why do you assume that if there is a God, that he had anything to do with the authorship of the Bible?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#27 Aug 30, 2013
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to start a fight, since it looks like we're generally on the same side of this issue, but this statement leaves me with many questions.
I think people who use the Bible to justify homophobia are doing exactly what they have been commanded to do. If you think that God doesn't want gay people mistreated, then you should look again at Leviticus 20:13. "They shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them". Sounds like a fairly clear description of treatment to me.
I think that a good question is, WHY should God declare that homosexuality is an abomination? I can EASILY explain why murder, or theft, or lying are bad behaviors (and they aren't even called "abominations"). I wouldn't want them done to me, so I avoid doing them to other people. I don't need a god to explain this to me. But homosexuality? If someone wants it, then what is the harm of this between consenting adults? If it is not intended for anyone to engage in homosexuality, then why are there people who feel NO other sexual attraction EXCEPT toward their own gender?
Why should such people have to endure a label like "abomination"? If God didn't mean for gay people to be mistreated, then why use such a volatile word? What did he THINK was going to happen, when you call people that? Couldn't he foresee the centuries of hatred and abuse that would come from this?
If there's a god, then I think his opinion of gay people is clear, and I think that people who mistreat gay people are perfectly in line with the Bible's commands.
but this is a "god" that in the same chapter condones slavery...more proof that this is the creation of humans...not that any more proof is needed that the

Abrahamic cult god is false, but it is more proof...

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#28 Aug 30, 2013
Wolfgang E B wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you assume that if there is a God, that he had anything to do with the authorship of the Bible?
clearly, the bible is wholly and entirely the work of man. the whole concept of divine inspiration falls flat when analyzed logically.
No Comment

Port Richey, FL

#29 Aug 30, 2013
bitterSWEET910 wrote:
Im glad they finally stopped saying civil rights. I have gotten into some heated arguments in real life about this.
Human rights fit better. Now if they could just shut up & stop trying to force everyone to think gay is great...they would be able to live a happy homo life.
Yeah, and blacksshould shut up and stop trying tforce everyone to thik black is great.



Three onone.....as usual...

“RAINBOW POWER!”

Since: Oct 08

I Am What I Am.

#30 Aug 30, 2013
No Comment wrote:
in a stupid, racist comment not worth quoting
I bet you miss your brain; after those nasty ol' zombies ate it, things just haven't been the same, have they. I'm so sorry for your loss.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#31 Sep 1, 2013
Wolfgang E B wrote:
Why do you assume that if there is a God, that he had anything to do with the authorship of the Bible?
I wouldn't know what to assume about any of it. But that seems to be the general consensus of believers.

Although, if there IS a God, and he DIDN'T write the Bible, then I would take some issue with him allowing the book to be so freely proliferated and disseminated. Billions of people believe this book contains his message (as well as the billions of OTHER people who believe OTHER books do this), and God says NOTHING on the subject?

That's a god who: doesn't care if people get his message right, doesn't care that people are KILLING each other over these conflicting messages, and doesn't care that people are misrepresenting what he has to say (if he HAS anything to say).

What can be said about such a God? If he HASN'T authored a book, and he hasn't provided any real information about himself to anyone, then who can claim to HAVE any information about him? What "truths" can be proclaimed or assumed about this God, even about his presence or existence?

There doesn't seem to be any way to get confirmable answers out of this God character, but we CAN get answers out of believers. I'm just curious how THEY justify the (their God's) condemnation and punishment of gay people who are pursuing the only sense of companionship they have, who are only engaged with other consenting adults, and who are only seeking happiness for themselves. Nothing could be FURTHER from punishable behavior, and such condemnation only undermines their claims of morality and righteousness.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#32 Sep 1, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
but this is a "god" that in the same chapter condones slavery...more proof that this is the creation of humans...not that any more proof is needed that the
Abrahamic cult god is false, but it is more proof...
That would be MY conclusion...

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#33 Sep 1, 2013
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be MY conclusion...
that would be any rational person's conclusion also, but the cult mentality allows people to ignore the obvious truths in front of their face and stick to the cult's mantra for quite some time.

cult deprogrammers will tell you of how when their patients are clearly shown they have been lied to, and they see the recognition of that fact in the eyes of the cult member, the patient still hangs on to the cult mantra for quite some time, as that is all they know, and it is what gives them the comfort of security and familiarity, regardless of the damage it does to them or its veracity...

funny things these cults.

today's political divisions amongst the uneducated in our nation today is taking on this same dimension. quite scary...be afraid, be very afraid...
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#34 Sep 1, 2013
Wolfgang E B wrote:
a white gay transsexual man (like me),
What does that mean? Are you a woman that believes she is a man that likes men?

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#35 Sep 1, 2013
TBMR wrote:
<quoted text>
I suport gay rights but to say that our struggles are similar is a complete and utter joke
a gay white male benefits from white privilege more than he gets discriminated against for being gay ... you conveniently ignored that because you know its true
a gay person would need to be displaying some very streotypical characteristics for someone to realize they are gay ... therefore just a regular gay white guy who isnt flamboyant isnt going to experience any of the discrimination
whereas just a regular and typical black male wether he is succssful or poor is going to be pulled over by the police or harrassed by them on the street SIMPLY FOR BEING BLACK
The ONLY reason why the gay community is throwing around that "gay is the new black" shit is to get support from the black community for their causes ... actually its more a guilt trip ... trying to guilt trip us to support your causs
But its funny though cuz I dont see any gay organizations speaking out against the racism blacks face but you want to hop on our struggle when it comes to your causes smdh
PLUS I have many black gay friends and they tell me about the discrimination they face from non black gays especially the whites
Really? So only "flamboyant" gay men are discriminated against in marriage laws? You mean all us butch gays have been able to marry each other for the past 200 years?

That's as stupid as saying only the dark blacks experience discrimination because many of the light blacks can pass for white.

Hmmm, I too have many black gay friends, and they all tell me they've experienced more discrimination from straight blacks than they do gay whites.

It's not a contest of who's been discriminated against more. It's about fighting discrimination PERIOD!

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#36 Sep 1, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
that would be any rational person's conclusion also, but the cult mentality allows people to ignore the obvious truths in front of their face and stick to the cult's mantra for quite some time.
cult deprogrammers will tell you of how when their patients are clearly shown they have been lied to, and they see the recognition of that fact in the eyes of the cult member, the patient still hangs on to the cult mantra for quite some time, as that is all they know, and it is what gives them the comfort of security and familiarity, regardless of the damage it does to them or its veracity...
funny things these cults.
today's political divisions amongst the uneducated in our nation today is taking on this same dimension. quite scary...be afraid, be very afraid...
It's very easy to understand why religion is so hard to let go of, even after realizing that it contains impossible falsehoods. After investing a lifetime in a belief, it must be humiliating to publicly renounce it, declaring your own wrongness. The pressure when surrounded by so many close loved ones who still believe (or who APPEAR to still believe). The comforting message of love and redemption (when not examined too closely).

There will always be an older generation willing and eager to teach its "traditions" to the younger generation, and there's nothing we can really do about that. But it's going to be fascinating to watch what happens in the age of the Internet, which provides a new source of education and information that's hard to control. New ideas are going to spread faster than ever, and more and more people are going to question the "wisdom" of a "loving" God who maintains a torture chamber, or a talking donkey that should be slain for its sass mouth.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#37 Sep 1, 2013
TBMR wrote:
I'm so over that "gay is the new black" bullshit
a gay white male benefits far more from white privilege ... he isnt being discriminated against like the every day black person
gays dont get pulled over in their cars for just being gay
the police dont stop them on the street and tell them they "fit the description"
Its insulting to compare the 2 struggles
oh really?

http://stateofthereunion.com/bayard-rustin-wh...



http://www.youtube.com/watch...

uh huh ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

As a far as cop abuse goes ...

http://video.pbs.org/video/1889649613/

The movement was more the result of the general climate of the times than any planned or devised "riding" of anyone's coattails.

I think you're just full-of-it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Representative Donna Edwards Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dems And GOP Agree: Obama's Making NASA Lose Ne... (Sep '16) Sep '16 nanoanomaly 2
News Edwards blasts Democrats: 'We are neither post-... (May '16) May '16 slick willie expl... 4
News GOP Senate Candidate Szeliga Talks 'Purple-ing'... (May '16) May '16 Three Days 9R 1
News The Latest: Cruz recreates 'Hoosiers' scene in ... (Apr '16) Apr '16 Whoop day it isth 2
News Rep. Donna Edwards airing first TV ad in Maryla... (Apr '16) Apr '16 He Named Me Black... 4
News Chris Van Hollen wins straw poll of young Maryl... (Feb '16) Mar '16 Rick Santpornum 8
News Maryland's Political Clout Rests in Elijah Cumm... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Hoosier Hillbilly 2
More from around the web