Gay rights, civil rights causes converge even if terms don’t

Aug 30, 2013 Full story: www.washingtonpost.com 37

When speakers at Wednesday’s "Let Freedom Ring" rally listed the social injustices that still need to be addressed, discrimination based on sexual orientation made almost every speech.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Aug 30, 2013
from the article:

" ... But gay activists are often reluctant to frame their cause as a civil rights cause, choosing the term “human rights” instead. Why?

"For the most part, it reflects the fact that the definition of civil rights has become so closely aligned with the rights of African Americans, so members of the gay community are reluctant to co-opt that language ... "

“I'm throwing stones,”

Since: Jun 13

DUCK!

#2 Aug 30, 2013
Im glad they finally stopped saying civil rights. I have gotten into some heated arguments in real life about this.
Human rights fit better. Now if they could just shut up & stop trying to force everyone to think gay is great...they would be able to live a happy homo life.
TBMR

Toronto, Canada

#3 Aug 30, 2013
I'm so over that "gay is the new black" bullshit

a gay white male benefits far more from white privilege ... he isnt being discriminated against like the every day black person

gays dont get pulled over in their cars for just being gay

the police dont stop them on the street and tell them they "fit the description"

Its insulting to compare the 2 struggles

“RAINBOW POWER!”

Since: Oct 08

I Am What I Am.

#4 Aug 30, 2013
TBMR wrote:
a gay white male benefits far more from white privilege ... he isnt being discriminated against like the every day black person
gays dont get pulled over in their cars for just being gay
the police dont stop them on the street and tell them they "fit the description"
Its insulting to compare the 2 struggles
Certainly, every minority group faces a different set of struggles, but please don't forget that being gay has no racial boundaries. We come from all races and all nations. LGBT people of color here in America have an especially difficult time.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#5 Aug 30, 2013
TBMR wrote:
I'm so over that "gay is the new black" bullshit
a gay white male benefits far more from white privilege ... he isnt being discriminated against like the every day black person
gays dont get pulled over in their cars for just being gay
the police dont stop them on the street and tell them they "fit the description"
Its insulting to compare the 2 struggles
No, comparisons are useful to draw analogies, and to understand the positions in the discussion. Deliberately REFUSING to see comparisons will result in a poor understanding of the issue.

The two struggles are not IDENTICAL, but they share many common elements. They both represent oppression for no good reason. They both involve attacking people for intrinsic traits. They both require shallow assessments of people, with complete disregard for their character.

In fact, so many of the problems faced by the two groups are so similar, that an inability to see the historical similarities is what's insulting. Blacks were once denied marriage rights, and the right to serve in the military. Blacks have been physically attacked because of a characteristic, and not because of any action they've taken. To forget this history, and to not recognize when another group of people is experiencing it, is what's insulting.
TBMR

Toronto, Canada

#6 Aug 30, 2013
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
No, comparisons are useful to draw analogies, and to understand the positions in the discussion. Deliberately REFUSING to see comparisons will result in a poor understanding of the issue.
The two struggles are not IDENTICAL, but they share many common elements. They both represent oppression for no good reason. They both involve attacking people for intrinsic traits. They both require shallow assessments of people, with complete disregard for their character.
In fact, so many of the problems faced by the two groups are so similar, that an inability to see the historical similarities is what's insulting. Blacks were once denied marriage rights, and the right to serve in the military. Blacks have been physically attacked because of a characteristic, and not because of any action they've taken. To forget this history, and to not recognize when another group of people is experiencing it, is what's insulting.
I suport gay rights but to say that our struggles are similar is a complete and utter joke

a gay white male benefits from white privilege more than he gets discriminated against for being gay ... you conveniently ignored that because you know its true

a gay person would need to be displaying some very streotypical characteristics for someone to realize they are gay ... therefore just a regular gay white guy who isnt flamboyant isnt going to experience any of the discrimination

whereas just a regular and typical black male wether he is succssful or poor is going to be pulled over by the police or harrassed by them on the street SIMPLY FOR BEING BLACK

The ONLY reason why the gay community is throwing around that "gay is the new black" shit is to get support from the black community for their causes ... actually its more a guilt trip ... trying to guilt trip us to support your causs

But its funny though cuz I dont see any gay organizations speaking out against the racism blacks face but you want to hop on our struggle when it comes to your causes smdh

PLUS I have many black gay friends and they tell me about the discrimination they face from non black gays especially the whites
TBMR

Toronto, Canada

#7 Aug 30, 2013
Wolfgang E B wrote:
<quoted text>
Certainly, every minority group faces a different set of struggles, but please don't forget that being gay has no racial boundaries. We come from all races and all nations. LGBT people of color here in America have an especially difficult time.
Sure every group faces struggles but there is no denying that blacks have faced the hardest struggles and continue to do so ... which is the exact reason why the LGBT group chose the black struggle to ride

I have no issues with gays and I support gay rights 1,000,000% but ya'll dont need to hop on our struggle and use us to get your rights especially considering the fact that you all still benefit greatly from white privilege which is the main thing that has kept my people down from jump

“I'm throwing stones,”

Since: Jun 13

DUCK!

#8 Aug 30, 2013
Imma run outta props messing with TBMR!
ITA.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#9 Aug 30, 2013
TBMR wrote:
I suport gay rights but to say that our struggles are similar is a complete and utter joke
A "complete and utter joke"? Don't you think that's going just a LITTLE too far?

You don't see ANY similarity between judging and condemning one person because of an inherent and inborn trait, and judging and condemning ANOTHER person because of an inherent and inborn trait? Don't the similarities there seem... remarkably similar?
TBMR wrote:
a gay white male benefits from white privilege more than he gets discriminated against for being gay ... you conveniently ignored that because you know its true
Of course it's true. So? Does that somehow discount the struggles of a gay person, just because they're white? I ignored it because it's irrelevent. Do we ignore one crime, simply because someone else is the victim of a worse one?

Do you want life to be a competition of who experienced discrimination the worst? Is there a winner, and then everyone else doesn't get to complain?
TBMR wrote:
a gay person would need to be displaying some very streotypical characteristics for someone to realize they are gay
No they don't. They only need to be walking in certain neighborhoods to be targetted. They might just be holding hands. Does that count as "very stereotypical"? Some people are beaten just because someone THINKS they're gay, even if they aren't.
TBMR wrote:
therefore just a regular gay white guy who isnt flamboyant isnt going to experience any of the discrimination
whereas just a regular and typical black male wether he is succssful or poor is going to be pulled over by the police or harrassed by them on the street SIMPLY FOR BEING BLACK
A gay white guy isn't going to experience ANY of the discrimination? NONE? Are you SURE? Maybe you want to rephrase that?

A gay person of ANY color may experience discrimination at home, from family or friends, at work or school, in public policy, or just walking down the street.
TBMR wrote:
The ONLY reason why the gay community is throwing around that "gay is the new black" shit is to get support from the black community for their causes ... actually its more a guilt trip ... trying to guilt trip us to support your causs
I would've said it's simply human beings who have recognized a common struggle, and who are hoping to lean on one another for support and communion.

Maybe you're just cynical.
TBMR wrote:
But its funny though cuz I dont see any gay organizations speaking out against the racism blacks face but you want to hop on our struggle when it comes to your causes smdh
Lambda Legal:

http://www.lambdalegal.org/blog/racism-homoph...

GLAAD:

http://www.glaad.org/blog/washington-posts-jo...

GLSEN:

http://glsen.org/article/working-lgbt-student...

HRC:

http://www.hrc.org/blog/entry/hrc-african-rig...

This took me about 5 minutes. Maybe you're just not looking hard enough.
TBMR wrote:
PLUS I have many black gay friends and they tell me about the discrimination they face from non black gays especially the whites
It sounds like a problem that needs addressing. Somehow I think that further division and discord between our groups will not be the answer.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#10 Aug 30, 2013
snyper wrote:
from the article:
" ... But gay activists are often reluctant to frame their cause as a civil rights cause, choosing the term “human rights” instead. Why?
"For the most part, it reflects the fact that the definition of civil rights has become so closely aligned with the rights of African Americans, so members of the gay community are reluctant to co-opt that language ... "
BWAHAHAHAHAHA! They cling to it like lint to a wool sweater.
TBMR

Toronto, Canada

#11 Aug 30, 2013
bitterSWEET910 wrote:
Imma run outta props messing with TBMR!
ITA.
LoooooL
TBMR

Toronto, Canada

#12 Aug 30, 2013
EdmondWA wrote:
Of course it's true. So? Does that somehow discount the struggles of a gay person, just because they're white? I ignored it because it's irrelevent. Do we ignore one crime, simply because someone else is the victim of a worse one?
I stopped reading here

the fact that you think that its "irrelevant" that whites get special treatment for just being white proves my point

I hope more black people wake up and realize they are being used
TBMR

Toronto, Canada

#13 Aug 30, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
BWAHAHAHAHAHA! They cling to it like lint to a wool sweater.
Exactly lmaooooo

I never hear gay rights being brought up now without someone mentioning blacks civil rights

hey america was built on the backs of black people ... should be no surprise to anyone that whites are still up to their same old trick

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#14 Aug 30, 2013
TBMR wrote:
I stopped reading here
Then I'll stop reading here, since it's clear that you're not interested in dialogue or understanding another viewpoint, and that you have preconceived notions which you aren't interested in challenging or exploring.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#15 Aug 30, 2013
TBMR wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure every group faces struggles but there is no denying that blacks have faced the hardest struggles and continue to do so ... which is the exact reason why the LGBT group chose the black struggle to ride
I have no issues with gays and I support gay rights 1,000,000% but ya'll dont need to hop on our struggle and use us to get your rights especially considering the fact that you all still benefit greatly from white privilege which is the main thing that has kept my people down from jump
ego much?! who said they are riding on the black struggle at all? the gay rights, SSM issue is often compared to the civil rights movement in the US...possibly because it is a civil rights issue....

“RAINBOW POWER!”

Since: Oct 08

I Am What I Am.

#16 Aug 30, 2013
I don't want to fight with you, TBMR. If only we could switch places for a year or so; I could be a straight black man, and you could be a white gay transsexual man (like me), and we could each see first hand a little of what the other has to face on a day to day basis.
Scholar86

Greenwood, MS

#17 Aug 30, 2013
Mistreatment is mistreatment no matter the victim or wrongdoer. For a person to mistreat a person because he or she is gay is just as wrong for a person to mistreat someone because he or she is black.
Scholar86

Greenwood, MS

#18 Aug 30, 2013
Most of the reasons people give for disliking gay people are stupid to begin with. For example, many men don't like gay men because they see them as being weak. First of all, not all gay men are weak, another thing there are several straight men that are weak mind wise or physically.
Scholar86

Greenwood, MS

#19 Aug 30, 2013
Some people are against homosexual marriage because the couple would not be able to reproduce. There are many straight couples who are not able to reproduce so should those couples not able to get married as well.
Scholar86

Greenwood, MS

#20 Aug 30, 2013
I especially hate it when people use the Bible to justify their hate. The bible does say that homosexual acts are an abomination, but I also don't think God would want us to mistreat anyone because of it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Representative Donna Edwards Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama `Effective Messenger, Period:' DNC Chair Jul '14 wild child 1
Protection of Apollo moon landing sites creates... (Jul '13) Aug '13 Sol 4
Sunday Talk Preview: Assange, NSA, Gay Marriage (Jun '13) Jul '13 Lamer 5
In campaign, a battle over owning America's story (Sep '12) Sep '12 Eighthman 8
Fixing (Not Destroying) Social Security (May '12) May '12 ScottEngageAmerica 1
Democrats Call for New Amendment to Limit First... (Apr '12) Apr '12 Wat the Tyler 6
Md. election results, updates (Apr '12) Apr '12 JBH 4
More from around the web