Rep. Lewis arrested at Darfur protest

Apr 27, 2009 | Posted by: Maria Antonia | Full story: www.ajc.com

U.S. Rep. John Lewis of Atlanta and four other members of Congress were arrested for civil disobedience on Monday as part of a protest against the humanitarian policies of the government of Darfur in Africa.

Comments
21 - 37 of 37 Comments Last updated Jun 10, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Capn Greg

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

Judged:

prettytexasgal wrote:
Wow. I am amazed at the spite that conservatives are writing on this site. An old man doing what he thinks is right is arrested. He was protesting genocide. Give him a break, and please stop with the name-calling. If my child called someone an "old pot bellied hog", I would ground him for at least a week.
Just remember, use the bare copper wire for the best ground, and don't touch the black one at the same time..........

He wants a cause? He should look out the window of the Capital occasionally.
Impeach John Lewis

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

prettytexasgal wrote:
Wow. I am amazed at the spite that conservatives are writing on this site. An old man doing what he thinks is right is arrested. He was protesting genocide. Give him a break, and please stop with the name-calling. If my child called someone an "old pot bellied hog", I would ground him for at least a week.
Why do you assume anyone you disagree with to be a conservative and why do you want to stifle anyone's freedom of speech?
Furthermore, why do you defend a lawbreaker who's only motive is to get attention for his own political agenda so as to raise money for his political usage?
prettytexasgal

Austin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

Wow. I guess I shouldn't ground my kid when he name-calls?
Capn Greg

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

Judged:

prettytexasgal wrote:
Wow. I guess I shouldn't ground my kid when he name-calls?
No, you should smile at him/her and be thankful that your baby is growing up knowing the difference between someone who cares and someone whose trying to get re-elected.

Lewis has nailed us Georgians for years......... lets hope that your pretty little texas gal tail is immune to his kind of politics.
Capn Greg

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

Judged:

I'd just like to say to whomever is throwing all the cudo's (green checkys, yellow bulbs, and life preservers) my way, that I really do appreciate your vote of confidence. I have a stockpile of peanuts and spam if you're interested in a campfire cookout. LOL

<---------- me trying real hard to give a shit :-)
Capn Greg

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

Judged:

Capn Greg wrote:
I'd just like to say to whomever is throwing all the cudo's (green checkys, yellow bulbs, and life preservers) my way, that I really do appreciate your vote of confidence. I have a stockpile of peanuts and spam if you're interested in a campfire cookout. LOL
<---------- me trying real hard to give a shit :-)
LOL, i can always count on my fan club. I did need lemons tonight.......... thx :-)
taxwatcher

Apple Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2009

He should be more concerned that we the people are finding out about his Trophy school the Lewis Center for Educational Research. If you calculate all the money he has given them hidin in the Dept of Defense, it almost totals 20 million. This is the same school that allows staff members to say sexual comments to minor female students and still be employed. Its the good ole boys, Piercy and Lewis. Remember when all of our troops needed gear to keep them safe? How many died so this school could get these millions. Hopefully you people will stand up and boot this fool out of office during election time.
Recycle

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2009

Street crimes wrote:
The civil rights movement condoned violence in the streets and a deliberate disrespect for the law. Civil rights made street violence socially acceptable. When Rodney King was arrested he put up such a fight it took several cops to arrest him. 4 were later charged with brutality but were found not guilty in a court of law. Hoards of thugs rioted in several cities because they didn't like the legal verdict. 50 people were killed in these riots. John Lewis has these 50 killings on his hands. The civil rights movement was little more than organized crime that pursued its political agenda through violence and the threat of violence.
Worth repeating.
Big John

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2009

Judged:

Just melt him down and make candles.
prettytexasgal

Austin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2009

Judged:

Big John wrote:
Just melt him down and make candles.
I believe the Nazis did that in their concentration camps. My uncle was one of the troops who liberated Dachau. Your suggestion may be made in jest, but it is extremely serious, nonethless.
Illuminating

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2009

Judged:

prettytexasgal wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the Nazis did that in their concentration camps. My uncle was one of the troops who liberated Dachau. Your suggestion may be made in jest, but it is extremely serious, nonethless.
I like the candle you awarded to Big John. Here's one for you!
prettytexasgal

Austin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2009

Judged:

Sunday was the anniversary of D. Day. Young men fought, died, saw and did things that make the heart shudder. My Uncle was one of the men who liberated Dachau. I ask all those of goodwill who read Big John's comment above to remember those young men, to whom he owes his freedom. I strongly support freedom of speech. I also strongly believe that those who read Big John's words and understand his meaning should post on this board their revulsion at his words. Father, forgive him, for he knows not of what he speaks.
Funny

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2009

prettytexasgal wrote:
Sunday was the anniversary of D. Day. Young men fought, died, saw and did things that make the heart shudder. My Uncle was one of the men who liberated Dachau. I ask all those of goodwill who read Big John's comment above to remember those young men, to whom he owes his freedom. I strongly support freedom of speech. I also strongly believe that those who read Big John's words and understand his meaning should post on this board their revulsion at his words. Father, forgive him, for he knows not of what he speaks.
My father was a WW II veteran who landed on Utah Beach and fought for nine months across France into Germany. He was decorated for his service then returned home to live a successful and moral and exemplary life.
He would find Big John's comments funny. You see, my dad had a sense of humor. He remembered one cocky captain ordering a private to dig a foxhole for him. Apparently this captain was above manual labor. The private dug the foxhole only six inches deep and piled the dirt around the hole to make it look like a foxhole. German artillery came in that day and the captain tried to jump into the foxhole without success. The whole company was laughing at him. You fail to understand humor but the soldiers in WW II did.
Yousoundlikea umb redneck

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2009

Judged:

Law and order and peace wrote:
<quoted text>Courage and stupidity are a dangerous combination. John Lewis has a reputation as being the stupidist member of Congress.
Participating in the murderous violent civil rights riots puts him on the wrong side of the law(refer back to 40 arrests) and on the wrong side of morality. Lewis' crime history and his moral corruption only appeal to the thug mentality.
This man fought for an entire race and women. Almost died for the issue. Hes more man than any congressman president or man you will ever hear of. YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO BELIEVE IN SOMETHING THAT YOUR WILLING TO DIE FOR IT. MARTIN LUTHER KING DID IT BOB MARLEY DID IT JFK DID IT. The time for justice is always now be a man and stop complaining and step up and do something. Like John has been doing for his whole life. You go through what he has and I guarantee you wouldve been quiet and complaining just like now. Crying at your house complaining but wont do anything to help the situation. Yes hes been arrested 50 times all justified. Blacks were sent to jail in the 60s for nothing. He protested and hes right. By him being arrested for it. It shines a light on the situation. Dont talk tough when youve never stood for anything. Damn shore not as much as Lewis. HE HAS MORE BALLS THAN YOU AND EVERYONE YOU KNOW AND YOU DONT KNOW COMBINED.
taxwatcher

Apple Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2009

Judged:

The 10 Worst Congressmen
5. THE KING OF PAYOFFS
JERRY LEWIS (R-CALIF.)

Aside from future jailbird William "Dollar Bill" Jefferson, the sitting congressman most likely to be indicted is Lewis. As chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, Lewis oversees nearly $900 billion a year in federal spending -- but anyone looking for a slice of that money has to deal with his best friend, lobbyist Bill Lowery. "If you want an earmark from Lewis, you have to hire Lowery," says Melanie Sloan of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington. "There's a direct exchange." In return for the business, Lowery and his clients made more than $480,000 in contributions to Lewis -- more than a third of the congressman's total campaign money since 2000. Lowery's firm, in turn, tripled its revenue to $5 million -- and his clients pocketed hundreds of millions in federal pork projects from Lewis.

The revolving door spins so fast between Lewis and Lowery that their offices operate almost as a single machine to swap taxpayer dollars for corporate donations. Jeffrey Shockey, who worked as a staffer for Lewis, left to join Lowery's firm -- and then returned to work for Lewis as deputy chief of staff of appropriations. As a parting gift, Lowery hired Shockey's wife as a lobbyist and gave him nearly $2 million -- a down payment on the firm's future earnings. Another Lewis staffer, now a Lowery partner, does such brisk business with her old boss that she's known as "K Street's Queen of Earmarks." Even Brent Wilkes -- the defense contractor whose payoffs sent Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham to prison earlier this year -- has complained about the shakedown operation. "If you don't want to make the contributions," Wilkes recalls Lowery telling him, "you will get left behind." Wilkes also claimed that Lowery threatened to cut him off from Lewis and his lucrative earmarks unless he forked over $25,000 a month in lobbying fees.

Lewis, a former insurance salesman elected to Congress in 1978, has long tapped corporate interests for campaign cash: In one of his early races, all of his money came from just forty-three donors -- and twenty-two of them were lobbyists.

The FBI has issued ten subpoenas involving Lewis' current operation, and Lowery's firm has scurried to report more than $2 million in undisclosed income. The lobbyist, in fact, is an old hand at the abuse of public trust: A former congressman himself, Lowery lost his House seat in 1992 thanks to an ethics scandal. The man who beat him? None other than Duke Cunningham.
Unrefutable facts

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2009

Yousoundlikea umb redneck wrote:
<quoted text> This man fought for an entire race and women. Almost died for the issue. Hes more man than any congressman president or man you will ever hear of. YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO BELIEVE IN SOMETHING THAT YOUR WILLING TO DIE FOR IT. MARTIN LUTHER KING DID IT BOB MARLEY DID IT JFK DID IT. The time for justice is always now be a man and stop complaining and step up and do something. Like John has been doing for his whole life. You go through what he has and I guarantee you wouldve been quiet and complaining just like now. Crying at your house complaining but wont do anything to help the situation. Yes hes been arrested 50 times all justified. Blacks were sent to jail in the 60s for nothing. He protested and hes right. By him being arrested for it. It shines a light on the situation. Dont talk tough when youve never stood for anything. Damn shore not as much as Lewis. HE HAS MORE BALLS THAN YOU AND EVERYONE YOU KNOW AND YOU DONT KNOW COMBINED.
John Lewis is a selfish racist career politician who favors blacks over whites on every issue imaginable. His policies have kept blacks dependent on government welfare and expectant of the government doing everything for them so they don't have to do for themselves.
His 40 arrests make him qualified as a public nuisance and his participation in the civil rights movement that fomented violence nationwide made him a party to murder.
Civil rights violence set the movement back by ten years or more. mlk preached non violence but perpetuated street violence that made law abiding citizens turn against civil rights tactics of violence and law breaking. Non violence was the lie of the century and the fear of further violence motivated a scared little man named James Earl Ray to take matters into his own hands and kill the figurehead of the movement forever.
Cecil

Marietta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

prettytexasgal wrote:
Are you serious? Liberals actually allow you to still ground children? wow!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Representative Donna Edwards Discussions

Search the Representative Donna Edwards Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay rights, civil rights causes converge even i... (Aug '13) Sep '13 snyper 37
Protection of Apollo moon landing sites creates... (Jul '13) Aug '13 Sol 4
Sunday Talk Preview: Assange, NSA, Gay Marriage (Jun '13) Jul '13 Lamer 5
In campaign, a battle over owning America's story (Sep '12) Sep '12 Eighthman 8
Fixing (Not Destroying) Social Security (May '12) May '12 ScottEngageAmerica 1
Democrats Call for New Amendment to Limit First... (Apr '12) Apr '12 Wat the Tyler 6
Md. election results, updates (Apr '12) Apr '12 JBH 4
•••
•••