Alaska Turnout, Results Raise Questio...

Alaska Turnout, Results Raise Questions

There are 24 comments on the voices.washingtonpost.com story from Nov 6, 2008, titled Alaska Turnout, Results Raise Questions . In it, voices.washingtonpost.com reports that:

Alaskans are different. Very different

Elections officials, party leaders and voters are wondering what happened this Tuesday in the Last Frontier, where turnout was surprisingly low and two lawmakers who have been the focus of FBI corruption investigations appear to have been reelected despite polling suggesting they would be ousted. .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at voices.washingtonpost.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 08

Pittsburgh, PA

#1 Nov 6, 2008
Something definitely is amiss here and passing it off on Alaskans being "very different" does not explain nothing.

Since historic turnout was expected, and did happen, just not in Alaska, I would be taking a look at those voting machines or ballots to see if there are far more there than would support how many people actually turned out to vote.

If there was tampering, the tampering could be based on a planned historic turnout, which didn't happen.

“Obama said the USA is "one ”

nation under Allah"? PROVE IT!

#2 Nov 6, 2008
I dont see the problem....any state bad off enough to elect sarah palin as governor would have no problem re-electing stevens....apparently they just aint that picky up there.....
Plain Jane

Alameda, CA

#4 Nov 6, 2008
On reading the comments under this article, there were Alaskans saying the voting cues were the longest they have ever seen. That with the 22 point lead Steven's challenger had in the polls definitely makes one suspicious of vote tampering. This should definitely be investigated.
Tim Bateman

Cleveland, OH

#5 Nov 6, 2008
I'm from Anchorage, everyone was amazed at the fact there were no lines on Tuesday. The democrats simply didn't show up to vote.

And as a point of fact, Ted Stevens was convicted of filling out forms incorrectly, not for taking bribes, or accepting gifts, just for filling out forms wrong. Does that exclude him from being a senator? His opponent, Mark Begich, never spent a day in college. Ted Stevens has a law degree from Harvard. I feel much more comfortable with someone smarter than me representing me.

Since: May 07

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Nov 7, 2008
Big deal. Sounds like the pollsters just got it wrong. I love it... the pollsters were wrong so everybody immediately starts assuming it must be voting fraud.

If there WAS fraud, then it will be uncovered. But in the meantime, it's wrong and stupid to just assume fraud with no evidence. Sounds like typical witch-hunting to me.

Maybe the pollsters just got it wrong? Maybe? Huh?
Interested

Apopka, FL

#7 Nov 7, 2008
Alaskans are different because life is good for them. They don't care what the rest of the country does or thinks.
That's a good thing.
Dunno

Alpharetta, GA

#8 Nov 7, 2008
Hmm, could be fraud. But it could also be apathy since the presidential election was already pretty much over by the time it was time to vote.
Simple

Louisville, KY

#9 Nov 7, 2008
It's as simple as the republicans in the state didn't want to elect a democrat, but didn't want to admit to pollsters they would vote for a felon. They want Stevens to quit and the republican govener, can appoint a republican in his place.

No conspiracy here folks.
Plain Jane

Alameda, CA

#10 Nov 7, 2008
Matt from Akron wrote:
Big deal. Sounds like the pollsters just got it wrong. I love it... the pollsters were wrong so everybody immediately starts assuming it must be voting fraud.
If there WAS fraud, then it will be uncovered. But in the meantime, it's wrong and stupid to just assume fraud with no evidence. Sounds like typical witch-hunting to me.
Maybe the pollsters just got it wrong? Maybe? Huh?
Yeah right, the pollsters got it almost perfect in the rest of the country, but in Alaska (the most corrupt state) they were incredibly wrong. I believe that NOT!

Since: May 07

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Nov 7, 2008
Plain Jane wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah right, the pollsters got it almost perfect in the rest of the country, but in Alaska (the most corrupt state) they were incredibly wrong. I believe that NOT!
I'm just saying that to jump to conclusions before an investigation is conducted is illogical.

“Right of center/left of stupid”

Since: May 08

White Plains, New York

#12 Nov 7, 2008
"Alaska! Come for the moose meat and stay for the corruption."

“Bernie Goetz is my hero”

Location hidden

#13 Nov 7, 2008
What's to figure?? This is what happened to Merrion Berry..

Convicted criminal does time in Prison...gets out....gets reelected...

“The more things change...”

Since: Feb 08

The more they stay the same!!!

#14 Nov 7, 2008
Tim Bateman wrote:
I'm from Anchorage, everyone was amazed at the fact there were no lines on Tuesday. The democrats simply didn't show up to vote.
And as a point of fact, Ted Stevens was convicted of filling out forms incorrectly, not for taking bribes, or accepting gifts, just for filling out forms wrong. Does that exclude him from being a senator? His opponent, Mark Begich, never spent a day in college. Ted Stevens has a law degree from Harvard. I feel much more comfortable with someone smarter than me representing me.
I don't know much about Begich but the fact that he does not have a law degree should be a plus in anyones book.

“The more things change...”

Since: Feb 08

The more they stay the same!!!

#15 Nov 7, 2008
True Moral Conservative wrote:
"Alaska! Come for the moose meat and stay for the corruption."
Thats funny, coming from someone in New York.
shasta

AOL

#16 Nov 7, 2008
Tim Bateman
Good to see someone from the great state of Alaska.........was wondering if this indeed was an Alaskan Forum, seems a lot of the lower 48 on bashing the heck out of your Governor, and Senator.

As for me I like Sarah Palin, and know she will go further in politics,,,,,,hopefully here in the lower 48 as President........we need someone who is honest.........the gang that's in now.....haven't proved a thing to me.

Kudos from Florida.....see there are some nice people still around.
hillbilly dave

Haleyville, AL

#17 Nov 7, 2008
Obama Supporter wrote:
I wanna have gay sex with obama
apply to be an intern at the white house
hope you like cigars
truth4all

United States

#18 Nov 7, 2008
ABC's Diane Sawyer asked Obama Jr., on Jan. 3, about his trip to Kenya
In August, 2006, Sen. Barack Hussein Obama Jr. made an emotional visit to Kenya, the homeland of his late father Barack Hussein Obama Senior of the Luo tribe. It was a highly publicized visit, a prelude to Obama Jr's campaign to become President of the United States.
He has visited Kenya 3 times, in 1987, 1992, and 2006. His first, while he was in school, second while he was working as a community organizer in Chicago and third as a high profile United States Senator. He was welcomed as a U.S. Senator hero, "the son of a Luo tribesman."
Obama Jr. told the people of Kenya that he wanted everyone in America to know about his promise to push for the United States to help with the bloodshed in Sudan's Darfur region to the promise of elections in the Congo. The Kikuyu tribe of President Kibaki was the target of the killings and members of the Obama Jr's Lou tribe were doing the killing.
"All of you are my brothers. All of you are my sisters," the Illinois Democrat, 46, said after his tour of Kibera, where "700,000 people jammed into 1 square mile, with little access to water and other basic services."
During Obama’s Kenya visit, American conservatives suspected that Obama Jr's much proclaimed opposition to America's war against Muslim terrorist in Iraq is more about his Muslim heritage than peace.
Obama Jr's African roots:
Obama Jr. says his quest for the presidency was "inspired" by his "love of the country”[Africa]. Obama Jr.traces his male ancestral line in Africa back 12 generations. Obama Jr's father was born a member of the Luo tribe in Nyangoma-Kogelo, Siaya District, Kenya. Senior's Luo father (Obama Jr's grandfather), Hussein Onyango Obama, was a prominent and wealthy farmer who converted from Christianity to Islam.
Sarah Obama, a devout Muslim, told Obama Jr. "Your grandfather rejected the Christian religion, he could not understand ideas as mercy towards your enemies, or that this man Jesus could wash away a man's sins.
Obama Jr's grandfather, for whom he was given the middle name, Hussein, was "fiercely devoted to Islam." He had at least 3 wives. At 18, Obama Jr's father, Barack Obama Sr.(Senior), married a girl called Kezia from a local village.
Four years later (1957) Obama Sr., because of his father's wealth and influence, was awarded an American sponsored scholarship in economics to the University of Hawaii. The presumption was that Obama Sr. would return to Africa and use his "Western-honed skills in a new Kenya."
At the age of 23, Obama Sr. left behind his pregnant wife Kezia and their children to become the first African student enrolled at the University of Hawaii.
Obama Sr's other wives
While still married to Kezia, Obama Sr. married fellow University of Hawaii student Anna Dunham, an 18 year old white anthropology major. Anna gave birth to a son on August 4th, 1961 in Kenya. Obama Sr., a Muslim, chose the Muslim Koranic name, Barack Hussein Obama, for his son. The middle name "Hussein" to honor Muslim grandfather Hussein Onyango Obama.
Two years later, Obama Sr. abandoned Anna and Obama Jr. for a scholarship to pursue a PhD program in economics at Harvard University.
In June 1964, Obama Sr. returned to Kenya to work for the Jomo Kenyatta administration. Soon after, he married another white woman, his third wife, an American-born teacher called Ruth, who he met at Harvard. She followed him back home to Africa and conceived 2 children by him. He fathered 2 more children by Kezia.
Anna divorced Obama Sr. when Obama Jr. was 6 to marry Lolo Soetoro, an Indonesian Muslim. Soetoro moved his new family to Indonesia, the worlds most populous Muslim country. Obama's half-sister, Maya Soetoro was born in Indonesia.

“Bernie Goetz is my hero”

Location hidden

#19 Nov 7, 2008
TRUTH 4all:

Save your breath...the LIBs don't give one shyt.

If you proved that he is a muslime, they would say "We love it"...

Pittsburgh, PA

#20 Nov 7, 2008
Dunno wrote:
Hmm, could be fraud. But it could also be apathy since the presidential election was already pretty much over by the time it was time to vote.
I have 7:52 PM.

Currently in Alaska it is 4:53 PM

In Hawaii it's 3:57 PM.

Look at when the polls close and the time difference and you will see that presents a serious problem because by the time the polls close in California the contest is already decided.
Goode Goode

Las Vegas, NV

#21 Nov 7, 2008
truth4all wrote:
ABC's Diane Sawyer asked Obama Jr., on Jan. 3, about his trip to Kenya
In August, 2006, Sen. Barack Hussein Obama Jr. made an emotional visit to Kenya, the homeland of his late father Barack Hussein Obama Senior of the Luo tribe. It was a highly publicized visit, a prelude to Obama Jr's campaign to become President of the United States.
He has visited Kenya 3 times, in 1987, 1992, and 2006. His first, while he was in school, second while he was working as a community organizer in Chicago and third as a high profile United States Senator. He was welcomed as a U.S. Senator hero, "the son of a Luo tribesman."
Obama Jr. told the people of Kenya that he wanted everyone in America to know about his promise to push for the United States to help with the bloodshed in Sudan's Darfur region to the promise of elections in the Congo. The Kikuyu tribe of President Kibaki was the target of the killings and members of the Obama Jr's Lou tribe were doing the killing.
"All of you are my brothers. All of you are my sisters," the Illinois Democrat, 46, said after his tour of Kibera, where "700,000 people jammed into 1 square mile, with little access to water and other basic services."
During Obama’s Kenya visit, American conservatives suspected that Obama Jr's much proclaimed opposition to America's war against Muslim terrorist in Iraq is more about his Muslim heritage than peace.
Obama Jr's African roots:
Obama Jr. says his quest for the presidency was "inspired" by his "love of the country”[Africa]. Obama Jr.traces his male ancestral line in Africa back 12 generations. Obama Jr's father was born a member of the Luo tribe in Nyangoma-Kogelo, Siaya District, Kenya. Senior's Luo father (Obama Jr's grandfather), Hussein Onyango Obama, was a prominent and wealthy farmer who converted from Christianity to Islam.
Sarah Obama, a devout Muslim, told Obama Jr. "Your grandfather rejected the Christian religion, he could not understand ideas as mercy towards your enemies, or that this man Jesus could wash away a man's sins.
Obama Jr's grandfather, for whom he was given the middle name, Hussein, was "fiercely devoted to Islam." He had at least 3 wives. At 18, Obama Jr's father, Barack Obama Sr.(Senior), married a girl called Kezia from a local village.
Four years later (1957) Obama Sr., because of his father's wealth and influence, was awarded an American sponsored scholarship in economics to the University of Hawaii. The presumption was that Obama Sr. would return to Africa and use his "Western-honed skills in a new Kenya."
At the age of 23, Obama Sr. left behind his pregnant wife Kezia and their children to become the first African student enrolled at the University of Hawaii.
Obama Sr's other wives
While still married to Kezia, Obama Sr. married fellow University of Hawaii student Anna Dunham, an 18 year old white anthropology major. Anna gave birth to a son on August 4th, 1961 in Kenya. Obama Sr., a Muslim, chose the Muslim Koranic name, Barack Hussein Obama, for his son. The middle name "Hussein" to honor Muslim grandfather Hussein Onyango Obama.
Two years later, Obama Sr. abandoned Anna and Obama Jr. for a scholarship to pursue a PhD program in economics at Harvard University.
In June 1964, Obama Sr. returned to Kenya to work for the Jomo Kenyatta administration. Soon after, he married another white woman, his third wife, an American-born teacher called Ruth, who he met at Harvard. She followed him back home to Africa and conceived 2 children by him. He fathered 2 more children by Kezia.
Anna divorced Obama Sr. when Obama Jr. was 6 to marry Lolo Soetoro, an Indonesian Muslim. Soetoro moved his new family to Indonesia, the worlds most populous Muslim country. Obama's half-sister, Maya Soetoro was born in Indonesia.
So was polygamy leagl at that time?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Don Young Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fire brigade called in after man suffers 'penil... (Mar '17) Mar '17 nuther Dysfunction 1
News Soybean prices fall to 2-mth low on ample supply (Mar '17) Mar '17 Mac 1
News Alaska is Now Purple (Oct '16) Oct '16 Go Blue Forever 1
News Alaska provisions survive House vote in key def... (May '16) May '16 Jaimie 6
News Republican fear-mongering over Syrian refugees ... (Nov '15) Nov '15 positronium 31
News Alaska Gov. Walker downsizes Washington, D.C., ... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Sarin Palin 1
News Interior Department Curbs Future Arctic Offshor... (Oct '15) Oct '15 WeTheSheeple 1
More from around the web