Lingle fights Akaka Bill changes - Ha...

Lingle fights Akaka Bill changes - Hawaii News

There are 59 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Dec 16, 2009, titled Lingle fights Akaka Bill changes - Hawaii News. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Gov. Linda Lingle strongly opposes proposed changes to legislation in Congress that would grant federal recognition to native Hawaiians, state Attorney General Mark Bennett said yesterday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
wacos101

Honolulu, HI

#1 Dec 16, 2009
Abercrombie is such a loser!
loco moco

Richmond, VA

#2 Dec 16, 2009
God forbid the Kanaka Ma'oli should get equal rights as the First Nation folks on the Mainland!

Why, that would be just too ... too ... too fair!

Lingle, you poseur. At least Neil knows who he is, and proud of it. Go back and live in the bushes on Molokai like you did in the 70s, quit pretending to be a politician.
Right On Lingle

Honolulu, HI

#3 Dec 16, 2009
Glad to see Governor Lingle and AG Bennett do something right, rather than rubber-stamp this ill piece of legislation.

As drafted, the current Akaka bill's definition of "Native Hawaiian" is constitutionally over broad, watered-down and diluted. As Justices Kennedy remarked, 1/64th, and Breyer commented, "one ancestor out of 500," the current Akaka bill definition attempts to undo the Admission Act, Section Section 4, federal-state compact, as well as Section 5(f) limitations on the use and disposition of the ceded land trust.

The 60's hippy zombie, we know all know as Abecrombie, just torpedoed the Akaka bill, sinking it like the Titanic to rest yet again on the ocean floor.

The major, fundamental and conceptual flaw of the Akaka bill, is that it latches onto the 1893 overthrow as a basis to attempt to justify a race based discrimination, selecting a 1/512th part-"Native Hawaiian," over a non-Hawaiian.

In contrast, the Hawaiian Homes Commission Act, 1920,(lodged in Section 4 of the Admission Act, 1959, and the named beneficiaries of the Section 5(f) of the Admission Act, 1959, ceded land trust), is rooted in the common native Hawaiian tenants that were cheated out of their one-third share of the lands by the corrupt Monarchy and their greedy 245 chiefs and konohiki in, and since, the Mahele of 1848----45 years before the overthrow in 1893.

Only native Hawaiians had an interest in the undivided communal lands prior to the division of the Mahele of 1848, and thereafter ability to alienate the lands in fee simple absolute.

Right On Lingle

Honolulu, HI

#4 Dec 16, 2009
loco moco wrote:
God forbid the Kanaka Ma'oli should get equal rights as the First Nation folks on the Mainland!
Why, that would be just too ... too ... too fair!
Lingle, you poseur. At least Neil knows who he is, and proud of it. Go back and live in the bushes on Molokai like you did in the 70s, quit pretending to be a politician.
The Akaka bill does not treat the native Hawaiians as equals with the First Nation folks on the Mainland.

One example is that the Indian Reorganization Act, 1934, starts with a threshold "one-half or more" blood quantum.

And, what if WE no like be Indian?

Sure, in the days of olde, when Kamehameha I ran the show, the political status of the native Hawaiians could closely approximate tribal status, but not after the greedy alii starting a.p.e.i.n.g the European monarchs imposed this foregin concept of this king-queen crap!

Neither Lingle nor Bennett are my favorite people, BUT they are making the right call to hold up the vote and fine tune the language.

Remember, all those posers wanting to be "Native Hawaiian" under this bill, have nothing to lose.

We, the beneficiaries of the HHCA, 1920, and 5(f) have an interest YOU folks want to steal from us.

The toe-nail, minimum quantum, no look act talk walk native Hawaiian, YOU folks want to steal our share under this Akaka bill.

Guess what, if the bill ain't cleaned up, we are taking it across the street into the US Supreme Court.
tita inside

Honolulu, HI

#5 Dec 16, 2009
Right On Lingle-get a grip!!! You sure sound like the guys that have been spreading misinformation about Hawaiian history for the past thirty or so years. The facts are that the US violated an independent country with fraudulant acts..making fools of all that reside in Hawaii, except Hawaiians. We have always known who we are and what our history is therefore trying to have our issues addressed and be resolved. Our claims are valid and yet "across the street" our voices have been restricted and have NOT been afforded to a fair hearing/case.

People like you have abandoned your morals and principles that the US professes to have. Self preservation and $$$ rule you now. People like you claim to "demand" equality but only by your rules and standards. You have also claim that you will become "second class citizens" if the Akaka bill passes....isn't that where you placed the Hawaiians for decades?? So, instead, you propagate fear into the residents of these islands about what you THINK the Hawaiians will do.

I do not support the Akaka bill due to the lack of hearings and input from the Hawaiian people. Of course, I see it as part of the strategy to keep us under control as well as our resources. It is time for people like you to be ready to hear that the Hawaiian people want their independence...ant eh US must make ready to grant us that independence.

Don't like it??? Better catch the next flight out . Aloha
Harry

Volcano, HI

#6 Dec 16, 2009
If the Akaka Bill passes get ready for CIVIL WAR in Hawaii....

:(
President Cleveland

Livingston, CA

#7 Dec 16, 2009
Actuated by these desires and purposes,and not unmindful of the inherent perplexities of the situation nor of the limitations upon my power, I instructed Minister Willis to advise the Queen and her supporters of my desire to aid in the restoration of the status existing before the lawless landing of the United States forces at Honolulu on the 16th of January last, if such restoration could be effected upon terms providing for clemency as well as justice to all parties concerned. The conditions suggested, as the instructions show, contemplate a general amnesty to those concerned insetting up the provisional government and a recognition of all its bona fide acts and obligations. In short, they require that the past should be buried, and that the restored Government should reassume its authority as if its continuity had not been interrupted. These conditions have not proved acceptable to the Queen, and though she has been informed that they will be insisted upon, and that, unless acceded to, the efforts of the President to aid in the restoration of her Government will cease, I have not thus far learned that she is willing to yield them her acquiescence. The check which my plans have thus encountered has prevented their presentation to the members of the provisional government, while unfortunate public misrepresentations of the situation and exaggerated statements of the sentiments of our people have obviously injured the prospects of successful Executive mediation.

GROVER CLEVELAND
Executive Mansion,
Washington, December 18, 1893
Queen Liliuokalani

Livingston, CA

#8 Dec 16, 2009
"I Liliuokalani, by the Grace of God and under the Constitution of the Hawaiian Kingdom, Queen, do hereby solemnly protest against any and all acts done against myself and the Constitutional Government of the Hawaiian Kingdom by certain persons claiming to have established a Provisional Government of and for this Kingdom.
"That I yield to the superior force of the United States of America whose Minister Plenipotentiary, His Excellency John L. Stevens, has caused United States troops to be landed a Honolulu and declared that he would support the Provisional Government.
"Now to avoid any collision of armed forces, and perhaps the loss of life, I do this under protest and impelled by said force yield my authority until such time as the Government of the United States shall, upon facts being presented to it, undo the action of its representatives and reinstate me in the authority which I claim as the Constitutional Sovereign of the Hawaiian Islands."

- Queen Liliuokalani, Jan 17, 1893
The United States

Livingston, CA

#9 Dec 16, 2009
Whereas, prior to the arrival of the first Europeans in 1778, the Native Hawaiian people lived in a highly organized, self-sufficient, subsistent social system based on communal land tenure with a sophisticated language, culture, and religion;

Whereas, from 1826 until 1893, the United States recognized the independence of the Kingdom of Hawaii, extended full and complete diplomatic recognition to the Hawaiian Government, and entered into treaties and conventions with the Hawaiian monarchs to govern commerce and navigation...

Whereas, on January 14, 1893... the United States Minister assigned to the sovereign and independent Kingdom of Hawaii conspired with a small group of non-Hawaiian residents of the Kingdom of Hawaii, including citizens of the United States, to overthrow the indigenous and lawful Government of Hawaii;

Whereas, soon thereafter, when informed of the risk of bloodshed with resistance, Queen Liliuokalani issued the following statement yielding her authority to the United States Government rather than to the Provisional Government.

Whereas, without the active support and intervention by the United States diplomatic and military representatives, the insurrection against the Government of Queen Liliuokalani would have failed for lack of popular support and insufficient arms.

Whereas, in a message to Congress on December 18, 1893, President Grover Cleveland reported fully and accurately on the illegal acts of the conspirators, described such acts as an "act of war, committed with the participation of a diplomatic representative of the United States and without authority of Congress", and acknowledged that by such acts the government of a peaceful and friendly people was overthrown... President Cleveland further concluded that a "substantial wrong has thus been done which a due regard for our national character as well as the rights of the injured people requires we should endeavor to repair" and called for the restoration of the Hawaiian monarchy.

Whereas, the indigenous Hawaiian people never directly relinquished their claims to their inherent sovereignty as a people or over their national lands to the United States, either through their monarchy or through a plebiscite or referendum.

Whereas, the health and well-being of the Native Hawaiian people is intrinsically tied to their deep feelings and attachment to the land;
Whereas, the long-range economic and social changes in Hawaii over the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries have been devastating to the population and to the health and well-being of the Hawaiian people;
Whereas, the Native Hawaiian people are determined to preserve, develop and transmit to future generations their ancestral territory, and their cultural identity in accordance with their own spiritual and traditional beliefs, customs, practices, language, and social institutions;

Now, therefore, be it
Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
The Congress
- apologizes to Native Hawaiians on behalf of the people of the United States for the overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii on January 17, 1893... and the deprivation of the rights of Native Hawaiians to self-determination;
- expresses its commitment to acknowledge the ramifications of the overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii, in order to provide a proper foundation for reconciliation between the United States and the Native Hawaiian people; and
- urges the President of the United States to also acknowledge the ramifications of the overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii and to support reconciliation efforts between the United States and the Native Hawaiian people.

A Bill From The United States of America to the Nation of Hawaii and it's subjects.
The Hawaiian People

Livingston, CA

#10 Dec 16, 2009
1897 Petition Against Annexation signed by tens of thousands of Hawaiians.

"We the undersigned, native Hawaiian women, citizens and residents of the District,...earnestly protest against the annexation of the said Hawaiian Islands to the United States of America in any form or shape."

Followed the tens of thousand so of signatures.
Niihau

Livingston, CA

#11 Dec 16, 2009
Niihau, an island inhabited only by Hawaiians, voted overwhelmingly against statehood.
Princess Kaiulani

Livingston, CA

#12 Dec 16, 2009
Speaking clearly and calmly, Ka’iulani addressed the press,“Seventy years ago, Christian America sent over Christian men and women to give religion and civilization to Hawaii. Today three of the sons of those missionaries are at your capitol, asking you to undo their fathers’ work… I, a poor, weak girl, with not one of my people near me and all of these statesmen against me, have the strength to stand up for the rights of my people. Even now I can hear their wail in my heart, and it gives me strength.”

Princess Kaiulani
Heir to the Thrown
Intelligent One

Livingston, CA

#13 Dec 16, 2009
Shall I continue.

U catch yet?

“Kokokahi -We are all one blood”

Since: Mar 08

United States

#14 Dec 16, 2009
You should be able to read things for yourself. It would be so easy for newspaper to give you the internet link. But they didn't.

1. Zogby poll shows a strong majority of Hawaii's people oppose Akaka bill and also demand that it be placed on the November ballot for a vote before Congress can pass it. This is not a Grassroot Institute poll (although they issued the press report), this has the full prestige of a Zogby poll. Full text of questions; and data for responses
http://tinyurl.com/yczuo3q

2. Committee hearings Wed & Thurs will have MAJOR CHANGES in what the bill says. HUGE POWER-GRAB for the Akaka tribe being rammed through the committee at the last minute. GOVERNOR AND ATTORNEY GENERAL STRONGLY OBJECT TO IT. See actual text of bill changes plus letter from Lingle/Bennett
http://tinyurl.com/y8hbg5o

3. Wanna watch the Indian Affairs Committee hearing today? It's on right now but in recess for a floor vote. They expect to resume the hearing at about 6 AM. There are 5 other bills the committee will consider before they take up the Akaka bill, but already there have been fireworks over the Akaka bill at the beginning of the hearing. Watch the hearing at
http://resourcescommittee.house.gov/index.php
Look for the link to "Watch live hearings" on the left side of thepage, just above the calendar. Remember, the committee members will take breaks of 15-30 minutes throughout the day to go vote on the House floor; so be patient and keep checking back.
Poi

Livingston, CA

#15 Dec 16, 2009
Ken Conklin wrote:
You should be able to read things for yourself. It would be so easy for newspaper to give you the internet link. But they didn't.
1. Zogby poll shows a strong majority of Hawaii's people oppose Akaka bill and also demand that it be placed on the November ballot for a vote before Congress can pass it. This is not a Grassroot Institute poll (although they issued the press report), this has the full prestige of a Zogby poll. Full text of questions; and data for responses
http://tinyurl.com/yczuo3q
Hahaha.

Only Conklin would have the guts or the ignorant blinders enough to completely ignore the historical facts presented in the 1/2 a dozen or so posts just priors and to suggest that the 80% majority IMMIGRANT population of Hawaii be allowed to hold a "vote" on Hawaiian Sovereignty and American Constitutional Justice.

U funny Ken.
syzygy

Honolulu, HI

#16 Dec 16, 2009
Princess Kaiulani
Heir to the Thrown

???
Tutu

Wahiawa, HI

#17 Dec 16, 2009
Well folks, guess we ain't gonna see anyting happen in our lifetimes, eh? Evvybody jus keep fightin and discussin and nuttin nevah happen. Guess dats da point.

Since: Jun 09

Waipahu, HI

#18 Dec 16, 2009
Kanaka maoli have always been a sovereign people and always will be. We will never yield that sovereignty to the enemy. It doesn't matter what their paper---aka the Akaka bill-- does. We always claim our inherent right as a sovereign people.

People like Lingle think they control us or speak for us. They don't.

Since: Jan 09

Honolulu

#19 Dec 16, 2009
<The current bill would require negotiations between the U.S. government, the state and the native Hawaiian governing entity to determine how they would relate to each other, and what rights each would have.

One of the proposed changes would immediately give the native Hawaiian entity many of the rights that American Indian tribal governments enjoy. That change has "enormous potential to negatively impact Hawaii and its citizens," Bennett said.>

It is written clearly in the Bill of Rights that people (individuals) have rights but not the government. Any doctrine that claims the government to have rights is false. Any American who believes that the government has rights is one who readily acquiesces to absolute rule. Obviously the journalist and many others throw this notion around freely in their writings and speech. People around the world are fighting and dying for their rights and here in this country the majority of people accept this idea that the government has rights. Anyone who supports this is a traitor to the people.
Hookaumaha

Paauilo, HI

#20 Dec 16, 2009
Tutu wrote:
Well folks, guess we ain't gonna see anyting happen in our lifetimes, eh? Evvybody jus keep fightin and discussin and nuttin nevah happen. Guess dats da point.
You right. Too many wannabe "Alii" not enough Lokahi. Sad

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Doc Hastings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drone Use OK'ed for Agricultural, Real Estate C... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Peter Simmons 2
News Sen. Pat Roberts grabs early lead in Kansas GOP... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Asian Guy 5
News Tea party still has election hopes as chances d... (Jul '14) Jul '14 woofpack 19
News In historic vote, House backs medical marijuana (May '14) Jun '14 Cordwainer Trout 6
News McCain: no global warming action until the left... (Mar '14) Mar '14 SpaceBlues 1
News Survey: Many Americans Don't Know What Fracking Is (May '13) Dec '13 d pantz 217
News House Republicans vote to deport DREAMers (Jun '13) Jun '13 See the Light 9
More from around the web