Undocumented workers boost economy

Undocumented workers boost economy

There are 14 comments on the Tri-cityherald.com story from Dec 11, 2011, titled Undocumented workers boost economy. In it, Tri-cityherald.com reports that:

Gov. Chris Gregoire made national news after leading an agricultural delegation to Washington, D.C., in October of this year to advocate for immigration reform.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Tri-cityherald.com.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#1 Dec 11, 2011
Yeah right - look what illegals did for california.
Exactly

Omaha, NE

#2 Dec 11, 2011
Exactly Speeders!

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#3 Dec 11, 2011
Is this guy on some sort of drugs or is he just another leftwing loon?
Different name

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Dec 11, 2011
Speeders Kill Kids wrote:
the biggest US economy and the seventh or eighth world economy, I think they did pretty good
Different name

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Dec 11, 2011
pigpen911 wrote:
Is this guy on some sort of drugs or is he just another leftwing loon?
he ain't taking your drugs, that's 4 sure
Different name

Brooklyn, NY

#6 Dec 11, 2011
"Allowing In More Immigrants, Skilled And Unskilled" Would "Create Jobs." In a New York Times opinion piece titled "How Immigrants Create More Jobs," George Mason economist Tyler Cowen wrote that "it turns out that the continuing arrival of immigrants to American shores is encouraging business activity here, thereby producing more jobs, according to a new study." Cowen cited the research of economists at the University of California, Davis and at Bocconi Uniersity in Italy. According to Cowen:
We see the job-creating benefits of trade and immigration every day, even if we don't always recognize them. As other papers by Professor [Giovanni] Peri have shown, low-skilled immigrants usually fill gaps in American labor markets and generally enhance domestic business prospects rather than destroy jobs; this occurs because of an important phenomenon, the presence of what are known as "complementary" workers, namely those who add value to the work of others. An immigrant will often take a job as a construction worker, a drywall installer or a taxi driver, for example, while a native-born worker may end up being promoted to supervisor. And as immigrants succeed here, they help the United States develop strong business and social networks with the rest of the world, making it easier for us to do business with India, Brazil and most other countries, again creating more jobs.
 Allowing in more immigrants, skilled and unskilled, wouldn't just create jobs. It could increase tax revenue, help finance Social Security, bring new home buyers and improve the business environment.[The New York Times, 10/30/10]
Cato Study: Comprehensive Immigration Reform Could Boost GDP By $180 Billion. After describing the negative impact reducing the number of low-skilled immigrant workers in the U.S. would have on the income of U.S. households, researchers Peter B. Dixon and Maureen T. Rimmer said that "legalization of low-skilled immigrant workers would yield significant income gains for American workers and households," and concluded that immigration reform could increase GDP by $180 billion.[Cato Institute, Restriction or Legalization? Measuring the Economic Benefits of Immigration Reform, 9/13/09]
NFAP: Low Number Of H-1B Visas "Likely" Pushes "More Work To Other Countries." 
Preventing companies from hiring foreign nationals is likely to produce the unintended consequence of pushing more work to other countries. Sixty-five percent of technology companies responding to an NFAP survey said they had "hired more people (or outsourced work) outside the United States." 
Allowing In More Immigrants could increase tax revenue, help Social Security
bored

Wiggins, CO

#7 Dec 11, 2011
Speeders Kill Kids wrote:
We've lost 25% of our manufacturing jobs to China, overpaid union style labor isn't gonna get those jobs back.
Different name

Brooklyn, NY

#8 Dec 11, 2011
bored wrote:
<quoted text>We've lost 25% of our manufacturing jobs to China, overpaid union style labor isn't gonna get those jobs back.
it ain't 25% it's probably around half, and the other half the big US business moved to Mexico, the unemployment there is 4%

“ Divided We Fall ”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#9 Dec 11, 2011
Different name wrote:
<quoted text> it ain't 25% it's probably around half, and the other half the big US business moved to Mexico, the unemployment there is 4%
You must be the illegal alien's biggest cheerleader since you support their employment more than you do the employment of US citizens. You cant get any more anti American than that.

Also if you cant post a link to your story then it means nothing.
bored

Wiggins, CO

#10 Dec 11, 2011
Different name wrote:
<quoted text> it ain't 25% it's probably around half, and the other half the big US business moved to Mexico, the unemployment there is 4%
we have 0% manufacturing in the U.S?:)
Different name

Brooklyn, NY

#11 Dec 11, 2011
OvrAndOvrAgn wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be the illegal alien's biggest cheerleader since you support their employment more than you do the employment of US citizens. You cant get any more anti American than that.
Also if you cant post a link to your story then it means nothing.
schmuck why you think I support anything ? I am just reading the news you shmucks pretend you don't see or believe it as unreal, if it pays better I should've become a journalist, the real journalist report facts without ever expressing his/her own opinion, just like me, thank you !

“ Divided We Fall ”

Location hidden

#12 Dec 11, 2011
Different name wrote:
<quoted text> schmuck why you think I support anything ? I am just reading the news you shmucks pretend you don't see or believe it as unreal, if it pays better I should've become a journalist, the real journalist report facts without ever expressing his/her own opinion, just like me, thank you !
"Schmuck"? LOL.
Do you ever read about California? Do you have a clue as to what illegal immigration has done to this state? I do because I live here. I know first hand what illegal immigration has done to our federal programs, our schools, our hospitals and our employment.
We spend $21.8 billion annually on illegal aliens in California alone, thats including $11 billion on education; $3 billion on prisons, police, and courts; and $11 billion on medical services. Bottom line is California would not be in the situation that we are in if our immigration laws were enforced.

“ Divided We Fall ”

Location hidden

#14 Dec 11, 2011
Foxy is Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope you dont mind but I just beat off and blew a load on your post. Thanks, it was good . Sure gave me a boost.
That is gross and sad at that same time there minute man.
Different name

Brooklyn, NY

#15 Dec 11, 2011
OvrAndOvrAgn wrote:
<quoted text>
"Schmuck"? LOL.
Do you ever read about California? Do you have a clue as to what illegal immigration has done to this state? I do because I live here. I know first hand what illegal immigration has done to our federal programs, our schools, our hospitals and our employment.
We spend $21.8 billion annually on illegal aliens in California alone, thats including $11 billion on education; $3 billion on prisons, police, and courts; and $11 billion on medical services. Bottom line is California would not be in the situation that we are in if our immigration laws were enforced.
lol lol let's go back to these numbers, but please don't give me a link from some neonazi far right Internet site, ok, just please go in the California's central valley and open your eyes to see WHO IS FEEDING THIS COUNTRY for the last century ? At least their American kids need education, and emergency care if some combine driven run over some illegal worker - In California, the illegal farmworker has been here for generations. It is hard, back breaking work and I have seen the fields and only Latinos are working them, its always been Latinos. Yes OR no ? Only this yes or no, no opinions please, FACTS ONLY please

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Doc Hastings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drone Use OK'ed for Agricultural, Real Estate C... Feb '15 Peter Simmons 2
News Sen. Pat Roberts grabs early lead in Kansas GOP... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Asian Guy 5
News Tea party still has election hopes as chances d... (Jul '14) Jul '14 woofpack 19
News In historic vote, House backs medical marijuana (May '14) Jun '14 Cordwainer Trout 6
News McCain: no global warming action until the left... (Mar '14) Mar '14 SpaceBlues 1
News Survey: Many Americans Don't Know What Fracking Is (May '13) Dec '13 d pantz 217
News House Republicans vote to deport DREAMers (Jun '13) Jun '13 See the Light 9
More from around the web