Quirky long shots Kucinich and Paul s...

Quirky long shots Kucinich and Paul stand tall on Iraq -

There are 138 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Aug 1, 2007, titled Quirky long shots Kucinich and Paul stand tall on Iraq -. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Do long-shot presidential candidates Dennis J. Kucinich, a Democrat, and Ron Paul, a Libertarian-turned-Republican, play any useful role in their respective parties' nomination contests? Clearly, the likelihood ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

Quirky

Lancaster, WI

#106 Aug 2, 2007
I'm so sick of these descriptions of Dr. Paul: Quirky, Quixotic, Wacky, Radical, etc.
What is so radical about following the constitution? What's so weird about not invading countries that didn't attack us? What's so quixotic about not spying on American citizens without warrants? What's so wacky about wanting to control our spending and not go into bankruptcy?
It seems like the real wackos are the other mainstream candidates promoting: More war, more taxes, more spending, endless illegal immigration, more spying, more warrantless searches, more erosion of civil liberties, more expansion of govt. power.
If Ron Paul is crazy, then we need more if it.
3trifecta

Federal Way, WA

#108 Aug 2, 2007
You teach political science? Wow. I'm glad I never had you for a teacher. You need to go back to school and study the issues. You obviously like glossed over pandering issues that the huge "follow the money" candidates have to offer. You know nothing about Dr Paul. Have you researched anything? Do you know where he stands? He obviously is smarter than you. He should be teaching your poli sci class.
3trifecta

Federal Way, WA

#109 Aug 2, 2007
Quirky wrote:
I'm so sick of these descriptions of Dr. Paul: Quirky, Quixotic, Wacky, Radical, etc.
What is so radical about following the constitution? What's so weird about not invading countries that didn't attack us? What's so quixotic about not spying on American citizens without warrants? What's so wacky about wanting to control our spending and not go into bankruptcy?
It seems like the real wackos are the other mainstream candidates promoting: More war, more taxes, more spending, endless illegal immigration, more spying, more warrantless searches, more erosion of civil liberties, more expansion of govt. power.
If Ron Paul is crazy, then we need more if it.
Good one! I guess this fool likes all that...now that IS wacky.
Neo Cons are Stupid

Morehead City, NC

#110 Aug 2, 2007
Dear Mr Schaller,
Thank you for your gripping report on two "quirky" "gadflies" who are holding thier counterparts accountable. I find it extremely annoying that you don't really speak anything about thier stance on the issues or thier accomplishments as politicians. This is what I would expect from some neocon hack but your are a proffessor for god's sake. Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich act accordingly to what they tell people. Can your candidate do that? I guess I will be seeing you suiting up for Left Tackle with the Ravens. Keep your head up and out of your ass buddy.
Antony Reed

Hopkins, MN

#111 Aug 2, 2007
I have had it. Every main-stream-media mention of Ron Paul regurgitates the "LONG SHOT" label, thus deliberately attempting to sully the waters of his chances at winning. You know what impact words have. He is not a long shot, by many measurements. Try reporting TO the public, rather than slyly attempting to mold our perception.

Ron Paul supporters: Whenever you see this, let that news source know that you want it stopped! This is not coincidence; it is an attempt to undermine Dr. Paul’s efforts, as well as your own. Do not let them get away with it!
Brendan Dublin-Ireland

Dundalk, Ireland

#112 Aug 2, 2007
Are any of these "establishment" journalist able to count how many comments support THEIR quirky posts (1-2%?) and how many ridicule them instead (98-99%)? Same silly articles and same results for the Media Puppets on each blog that attacks Ron Paul, did you not notice? Sorry to say, but your country is becoming a complete (tragic) joke thanks to your plastic opportunistic politicians (Bush, Cheney, Hillary, Giuliani, McCain) and to your “From Another Planet” press. You are a great example of what has become of the "liberty" of the press....sad.
Your country is sliding in bankruptcy, probably a scenario worse than 1929, and NO honest journalist is able to point this out, not to mention about who caused it. No surprise that honest and sound politicians like Ron Paul are attacked by people like you.
Europeans (and probably the entire planet) really hope that honest and intelligent people like Ron Paul or Kucinich, will finally save you from the low IQ/highly Religious Fanatics like Bush, Cheney (and from the Lobbies that use them AND YOU)…what will people like you do? I bet you will start to praise the change…not because you believe in it, but because you feel that to be the role of Media: support the powerful.
Brendan
Clinton

Highland Mills, NY

#113 Aug 2, 2007
I will be sure not to have my children go to UMBC so they don't risk having this hack as a professor. Clearly he is misinformed and just buys the garbage that is fed to the American public through the MSM. News is for educating the public rather than influencing their behavior. Let's take our country back. Register now to vote Republican so that you can vote in the primaries for Ron Paul - the only true statesman in Congress.
Mark

Lancaster, OH

#114 Aug 2, 2007
These guys are not long shots! They do have a real chance at winning.
Chris

Saint Louis, MO

#115 Aug 2, 2007
Nice touch throwing in the line about the Richardson and Huckabee VP possibilities. I see somebody watches CNN.

Nothing to see here folks.
Skylar Saveland

United States

#116 Aug 2, 2007
Why would you put your personal email on this article when you know that hoards of Ron Paul fans will probably bust your in-box? Forget Kucinich for a second.. how much money has he raised? How many meet-ups does he have? Let's take Ron Paul's poll numbers.

The polls are based
1) On those registered as Republicans
2) On those with land-lines (not cellys)

Out of all of my friends and family who are supporting Ron Paul with time and money, who will eventually vote for Ron Paul, are any of them registered as Republicans? Do any of them have landlines? Certainly out of the 200+ people signed up for the meet-ups in Cobb Co Georgia alone, some can say yes to both. But, none of my close associates. I think the polling system is antiquated.*There is 0 chance that I will be polled. This is a serious flaw! In a epidemiological setting this would be downright unethical. All potential groups must be evenly represented.*

But, the polls may still serve the purpose of making self-fulfilling prophecies, reinforcing name recognition, and making political science professors look good in their predictions; I hope not. I hope that the country may be directed by the careful consideration of the people. Voting should be the mechanism that decides who leads the country; The echo chamber which anoints the candidates (who "have a chance") should not.
Anthony Peoples

Columbus, OH

#117 Aug 2, 2007
Paul is a viable canidate I believe. Clinton was at 2% at this same time in 1991. As a political science professor you should know this.
James Hill

Corpus Christi, TX

#118 Aug 3, 2007
I disagree with the statement that Ron Paul is "quirky". Alll his positions make eminent good sense. Mr Schaller should listen says carefully to what the congressman says instead of looking through a haze of bias. There is an old Zen sayiing that in order to be enlightened you must empty your cup. Empty your cup, Mr Schaller!
blind bush believer

Cleveland, OH

#119 Aug 3, 2007
M Miller wrote:
Dear Mr. Tom Shaller
Please go f_ck yourself!!!
wow, must have took you all day to come up with that retort

Since: Jan 07

Miami, FL

#120 Aug 3, 2007
Brendan Dublin-Ireland wrote:
Are any of these "establishment" journalist able to count how many comments support THEIR quirky posts (1-2%?) and how many ridicule them instead (98-99%)? Same silly articles and same results for the Media Puppets on each blog that attacks Ron Paul, did you not notice? Sorry to say, but your country is becoming a complete (tragic) joke thanks to your plastic opportunistic politicians (Bush, Cheney, Hillary, Giuliani, McCain) and to your “From Another Planet” press. You are a great example of what has become of the "liberty" of the press....sad.
Your country is sliding in bankruptcy, probably a scenario worse than 1929, and NO honest journalist is able to point this out, not to mention about who caused it. No surprise that honest and sound politicians like Ron Paul are attacked by people like you.
Europeans (and probably the entire planet) really hope that honest and intelligent people like Ron Paul or Kucinich, will finally save you from the low IQ/highly Religious Fanatics like Bush, Cheney (and from the Lobbies that use them AND YOU)…what will people like you do? I bet you will start to praise the change…not because you believe in it, but because you feel that to be the role of Media: support the powerful.
Brendan
But Sadly Kucinich is a gun grabber who will never get my vote, Ron Paul all the way
Sean 4 Ron Paul

Wood River, IL

#121 Aug 4, 2007
Here we go again... when will you sycophant so-called journalist drop it. This is the first article I've heard Ron Paul be described as quirky. Quirky to me is your self serving logic."With the televised debates in both crowded fields looking more like electoral speed-
dating, accommodating Ohio's Kucinich and Texas' Paul on stage seems like a regrettable inefficiency, a nuisance nursed to life and sustained purely by dint of each man's vanity."
To call Ron Paul vain is like calling George Bush, Jesus. The 2 are completely dissonant. This hit piece shines brightly as such and your twisted approach toward both candidates shows the clearly unintellectual viewpoint you have toward our electoral system. Jabbing candidates because they stand up for what they think is right is what we all need to see in Washington...If we had more people like Dennis Kucinich and Ron Paul in Congress we wouldn't see our country on the verge of bankruptcy brought on be a preemptive ideology of war and nation building. With the end result of an entire generation of Muslims being taught to hate America and Americans. "Orphaned Iraqi children make great suicide bombers"
Kathy W

San Francisco, CA

#122 Aug 4, 2007
... their general demeanor is politely if aptly described as "quirky."
Dr. Paul hardly comes off as "quirky". Rather he is obviously the most intelligent and informed of all the candidates. This video supports my point:
DeathAngel

Easley, SC

#123 Aug 5, 2007
On what basis do you consider Mr. Paul to be "quirky"? Im not overly certain about the other fellow though. And how are you to explain your assumption of how slim the chances of one Paul getting into office? as his popularity increases, there is still the hope of a strong independant or third party, which this country desperately needs.
DeathAngel

Easley, SC

#124 Aug 5, 2007
liberalgoals wrote:
<quoted text>
After reading everyone's posts I can only find one objectionable thing to Dr. Paul--that is--he's a REPUBLICAN---vote for Hillary in '08!
Hillary is the worst of them all, she is a crook and a two faced liar.
pajoyo

Cambridge, MD

#125 Aug 5, 2007
Hey Schaller, who hired you at UMBC? He, she or they should be fired immediately. Failing that do our young students a favor and resign from the University. I know bartenders, cab drivers, homeless persons and middle school drop outs who are more astute in political science than you?
Miyamoto Musashi

United States

#126 Aug 5, 2007
Those interested in seeing the possibilities of Kucinich, or any dedicated Communist in control of social structures should take a look at what he accomplished for Cleveland... Potholes big enough to break your A-frames and cynicisms that are reflected in Democrats initiating economic policies that build bridges that they later blame Bush for their collapsing. Really, what have Kucinich type Democrats brought their Party and the country except killing off millions of your own progeny and radical populism that hides in bold cowardice and treason?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dennis Kucinich Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Caldeira comes clean on chemtrails Mar '15 Dan 1
News Kucinich introduces resolution to impeach Bush (Jun '08) Feb '15 swedenforever 403
News Sanders eyes 'political revolution' in Iowa (Sep '14) Sep '14 Swedenforever 4
News Foreclosure Help For Ohioans (Mar '10) Oct '13 Bonnie Campbell 17
News Chemical weapons disposal will cost $1 billion,... (Sep '13) Sep '13 rtloder 73
News Bill Clinton, Ted Cruz weigh in on defunding Ob... (Sep '13) Sep '13 conservative crapola 4
News President Al-Assad's Interview With Fox News (Sep '13) Sep '13 conservative crapola 3
More from around the web