Protecting turf is GOP aim in congres...

Protecting turf is GOP aim in congressional redistricting | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 45 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jun 16, 2011, titled Protecting turf is GOP aim in congressional redistricting | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

A legislative panel today formally kicked off the process of redrawing Ohio's congressional districts, where majority Republicans will try to erase two seats without hurting members of their own party.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Its tough to be the King

Columbus, OH

#1 Jun 16, 2011
Mel Brooks could make a comedy about the recent history of Ohio. It's tough to be the King!

"Because Republicans hold the majority of seats, it makes it tougher on Republicans"

Yes.....It's really hard to write the rules when you hold all of the cards. You are already at home so it would be tough to just walk away and take 'em with you. I don't know of many jobs where you get to create the rules, pay yourself, create more high paying jobs for your "friends" and yourself when you retire/move on to bigger things (Gilmore/Stewart), collect a public pension for a terms worth of service(?), etc.

Our political world is just plain crazy. I mean insane! When are the people going to get educated and run all of these sheep (Dems/Repubs/etc) out of office? We need people willing to read the bills they are creating and to not just listen to the dollar/lobbyist on their shoulder. Will it take time? Yes it will. Anything worth doing is worth doing right!
David

West Jefferson, OH

#2 Jun 17, 2011
'GOP protecting it's turf?' Simply because a party holds an inordinate amount of legislative sway doesn't give it a right to strong-arm de jure gerrymandering or partisan redistribution to fortify its hold on state politics. Targeting districts for elimination of along red-blue lines is immoral at best and criminal at worst. Im glad to see grassroots organizations are giving citizens a soapbox for their opinions.
Karla Katz

Hilliard, OH

#3 Jun 17, 2011
David wrote:
'GOP protecting it's turf?' Simply because a party holds an inordinate amount of legislative sway doesn't give it a right to strong-arm de jure gerrymandering or partisan redistribution to fortify its hold on state politics. Targeting districts for elimination of along red-blue lines is immoral at best and criminal at worst. Im glad to see grassroots organizations are giving citizens a soapbox for their opinions.
You mean, like when Obama said "Elections have consequences; we won!"?
Live Free

Defiance, OH

#4 Jun 17, 2011
Gerrymandering at its finest. The Dems would do as much or worse if they had the majority!
john

Lancaster, OH

#5 Jun 17, 2011
Finally a bit of honesty from the republicans. They aren't telling us it is for the good of the state; but for the good of the party. Why are they spending our tax dollars plotting ways to manipulate an even greater advantage for themselves. Since they have no real history of opposition in ohio, couldn't they spend our tax dollars on something good for the tax payers?
The Observer

Columbus, OH

#6 Jun 17, 2011
$260,000 for a dog and pony show that will eventually come down to one man on a computer drawing districts at the direction of a small group of Republican bosses at GOP HQ in Columbus? What a joke! Let's just get it over with. Dumbass Democrats didn't bother to vote last fall and handed state government over to the Republicans, who will now rob them blind and rape 'em raw. This is what happens when either don't vote or when you vote stupid, which means voting Republican when you're anything but a multimillionaire. Ohioans deserve their hardships.
The Observer

Columbus, OH

#7 Jun 17, 2011
David wrote:
They can do any damn thing they want and they will. They could care less about morality or even law. It's all about power.
Spooey

Cleveland, OH

#9 Jun 17, 2011
The Dumocrats and Repubs think alike on some things and this is one of them. If it hurts J. Siegel rub it.
Rob

Columbus, OH

#11 Jun 17, 2011
"I'm hoping the Republicans will do what we all talked about last cycle, which is to create as many fair and competitive districts as possible," he said.

that's really funny coming from a democrat, since the last time THEY were the one's doing it, they did it in such a way that maximized their power. and you can judge me as clueless and disagree but i remember the stories. it's FACT, not opinion.
Middle Wing

Columbus, OH

#12 Jun 17, 2011
Bend over Ohio, the GOP is about to give it to us!
Rob

Columbus, OH

#13 Jun 17, 2011
David wrote:
nice. please explain why it's ok for democrats but not republicans.
Moving to Texas

United States

#15 Jun 17, 2011
Obviously both the dems & Republicans do this when they are in power. As our President Obama once said "Elections have consequences".
Tim

Columbus, OH

#17 Jun 17, 2011
"Protecting turf is GOP aim in congressional redistricting"

I almost fell off my chair on reading this inane headline. The megalomaniacal GOP doesn't want to just "protect their turf," they want to strip the Democratic party of ANY and ALL districts through the shameful usurping of fair and equal representation for ALL Ohioans.

The ludicrous part is that they've done this for YEARS.....to the point where there are no more Ohio districts left to "rape."
Question

Thornville, OH

#20 Jun 17, 2011
Tim wrote:
"Protecting turf is GOP aim in congressional redistricting"
I almost fell off my chair on reading this inane headline. The megalomaniacal GOP doesn't want to just "protect their turf," they want to strip the Democratic party of ANY and ALL districts through the shameful usurping of fair and equal representation for ALL Ohioans.
The ludicrous part is that they've done this for YEARS.....to the point where there are no more Ohio districts left to "rape."
And take away the money and leave us no options but Republican candidates!
Somebody's gotta look out for the struggling Rich...I mean thier income has only increased 28% and 22% in 2010 and 2009.
Publius

Zanesville, OH

#21 Jun 17, 2011
When you lose two districts, it is tough to play many games with the lines.

Moreover, one of the more frightening aspects of this process will be the reaction of Eric Holder's Justice Department after the map is drawn.

There is simply no question but that the Justice Department will try to smash any plan that "overly" favors Democrats.

This is the first time since the Voting Rights Act was adopted in 1965 that a Democrat has been in the White House for the redistricting process, rest assured they will try to use that power to "adjust" the districts.
Publius

Zanesville, OH

#22 Jun 17, 2011
Oops, the prior post should have said maps favoring "Republicans" !!
Seadog

United States

#23 Jun 17, 2011
Let's talk some history here. The Republicans placed 3 different packages before the Ohio House 5 years ago that would have taken reedistricting out of the political realm and established a bipartisan commission to redraw district lines. Because democrasts were confident that they would win the presidency and control of Ohio, all the democrats voted no, even when one of the plans offered was theirs. The reason the GOP is redrawing district lines is due to the democrats' desire to rule Ohio. They just forgot that elections have consequences and that, even with the best community organizer in the world, election outcomes cannot be predetermined.
Black Lion

Groveport, OH

#24 Jun 17, 2011
Does the terminology "lack of population growth" really mean Ohio population has declined?
So What

Mount Hope, OH

#25 Jun 17, 2011
If the Dems were in charge, the headline would read "Stealing Turf is Democrat Aim..."
brat

Bellefontaine, OH

#26 Jun 17, 2011
give it to me. it'll be fair and non partisan. someone has a program that will do just that. funny that after the article appeared, elsewhere, it has since vanished from their archives. payoff????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dennis Kucinich Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kucinich introduces resolution to impeach Bush (Jun '08) 10 hr Pukes and Cons 411
News Ex-Congressman Dennis Kucinich to launch bid fo... 11 hr Proof or Dare 9
News Ohio elections board investigating how building... Sep '17 Red Crosse 4
News Kucinich emerges to blister charter school oper... (Apr '17) Apr '17 joe bialek 1
News Hillary Clinton faces recount over rival's 'vot... (Jan '08) Nov '16 Obama encourages ... 24
News Hustler's Larry Flynt pokes Donald Trump with p... (Apr '16) Apr '16 SSGT William Karol 3
News Leavenworth gets WikiLeaks suspect (Apr '11) Mar '16 JackArmStrong 30
More from around the web