GOP Candidate Draws Fire for Shooting...

GOP Candidate Draws Fire for Shooting Effigy of Democratic Opponent

There are 77 comments on the snafu-ed.blogspot.com story from Oct 9, 2009, titled GOP Candidate Draws Fire for Shooting Effigy of Democratic Opponent. In it, snafu-ed.blogspot.com reports that:

Since when did shooting at an effigy of your opponent become good clean fun, or a joke? Apparently, that's what it is in a Florida congressional race.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at snafu-ed.blogspot.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Consumer007

Aurora, CO

#68 Oct 11, 2009
Next it will be they will be wiping icepicks and hatchets in blood and stabbing or chopping up the effigy before shooting it and dragging it behind a truck and THEN setting it on fire.
Gimme a break wrote:
<quoted text>It all sounds like a "hate crime" to me.
LOL!
How about we don't burn or shoot effigies of anyone? That might just eliminate any misconceptions. Gotta watch those "greenhose gas" emmissions anyhoo.
x-nutmegger

Phoenix, AZ

#70 Oct 11, 2009
Walt Green wrote:
<quoted text>
Burning someone in effigy is a very old form of protest that, while scary, rarely leads to actual violence. Back about 1981 I was part of a crowd cheering the burning of an effigy of Fed Chairman Paul Volcker, who remains among the living.
Shooting an effigy is worrisome, given that shooting is the most common method of political assassination.(Hanging an effigy of Obama worries me too, given our history of lynchings). And since wall street funded blowhards like bekkk and lamebaw keep comparing Obama to Hitler, candidates like Lowry ought to be more careful what they do. I figure it won't be too long before self-proclaimed 'conservatives' start assassinating politicians in the name of 'liberty.'
So it's O.K. tohang Palin but not Obama.

Typical Lefty-lib tripe !

I'm impressed !
conservative

Texarkana, TX

#72 Oct 11, 2009
Responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear, it is not right because it has been done before by a lib, a commie, a foreigner, a homegrown terrorist or even an ignorant republicant.
Don't these people have any sense of decency and courtesy?
The garbage coming out from these GOP "leaders" is another nail in their coffin of credibility and responsibility.
These "leaders" from both sides of the aisle should be using their brains first and their guns second. They need to grow up.
That's the pot calling the kettle black.
Responsibility

San Bruno, CA

#73 Oct 11, 2009
x-nutmegger wrote:
<quoted text>
So it's O.K. tohang Palin but not Obama. Typical Lefty-lib tripe ! I'm impressed !
No it is not - for Palin or anyone else.

Maybe you know that (I would be impressed), maybe you don't (predictable)

“read something you disagree w/”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#76 Oct 11, 2009
x-nutmegger wrote:
<quoted text>
So it's O.K. tohang Palin but not Obama.
Typical Lefty-lib tripe !
I'm impressed !
Hanging an effigy of Palin is disturbing too, but to a lesser extent. There's no history of lynching white women in this country.
x-nutmegger

Phoenix, AZ

#77 Oct 11, 2009
Walt Green wrote:
<quoted text>
Hanging an effigy of Palin is disturbing too, but to a lesser extent. There's no history of lynching white women in this country.
In the south they hung blacks . In the West they hung horse thieves . So the " act " has different meanings in differenr parts of the country....stop being so PC. It's common for Western prosecutors to have a noose diorama in their office pretaining to horse thieves. You PC types need to be more cognizant of such . I'ts not so bad hanging Palin as it is Obama..... either it's totally bad or it isn't stop mincing on it.

Does the " One drop Rule" apply ?
johanson

Salem, OR

#78 Oct 11, 2009
Walt Green wrote:
<quoted text>
So, burning an effigy of Sarah Palin is less disturbing? Kind of proves what orifice your head is up.

Location hidden

#79 Oct 11, 2009
johanson wrote:
<quoted text>
So, burning an effigy of Sarah Palin is less disturbing? Kind of proves what orifice your head is up.
Yes, it's less disturbing. Do you ever try to understand what you read, or do you just respond automatically? I didn't say I thought it was not disturbing at all, that it was something I thought we should all do, or something that no one should complain about. Sheesh.

Anyways, I figure burning or hanging or shooting someone in effigy is protected by the first amendment unless it turns into some sort of direct threat. That's why some kinds of effigy-killing are more disturbing than others--nooses have often been used to threaten blacks who get too uppity for white folks' tastes, and guns are readily available to most people in this country and are the favored weapon of political assassins.

Location hidden

#80 Oct 11, 2009
x-nutmegger wrote:
<quoted text>
In the south they hung blacks . In the West they hung horse thieves . So the " act " has different meanings in differenr parts of the country....stop being so PC. It's common for Western prosecutors to have a noose diorama in their office pretaining to horse thieves. You PC types need to be more cognizant of such . I'ts not so bad hanging Palin as it is Obama..... either it's totally bad or it isn't stop mincing on it.
Does the " One drop Rule" apply ?
But in your example, horse thieves were hung as punishment for the crime of horse theft. Blacks were regularly lynched for no crime at all. That's why a the use of a noose in connection with a black politician is closer to being a direct threat than it would be with a white politician.
x-nutmegger

Phoenix, AZ

#81 Oct 11, 2009
Walt Green wrote:
<quoted text>
But in your example, horse thieves were hung as punishment for the crime of horse theft. Blacks were regularly lynched for no crime at all. That's why a the use of a noose in connection with a black politician is closer to being a direct threat than it would be with a white politician.
But you racialize it. If it's bad it should be equally bad. This degree of wrong based on race is what's wrong with the U.S.
So we now have Affirmative Action pertaining to nooses.
I guess we should ban the showing of Eastwood's " Hang 'em High".
Cross burning has always had one meaning so that I can see as a KKK gimmick but the double standard on Palin Vs. Obama hanging is too much for my libertarian mindset.

“Hillary, thirty years of lying”

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#82 Oct 11, 2009
Consumer007 wrote:
No it means Bush was too stoopid to find Osama.
Bush is actually Osama's friend, he made sure to fly Osama's family to safety and out of reach of our country.
That's why he said half way through his term he just really didn't focus on catching Osama any more.
<quoted text>
yep, Chicago payoffs and Chicago idiots in the white house.....jeeeze, when Biden is the smartest in the room you know your in trouble..........

Joe Biden had a question. During a long Sunday meeting with President Obama and top national-security advisers on Sept. 13, the VP interjected, "Can I just clarify a factual point? How much will we spend this year on Afghanistan?" Someone provided the figure:$65 billion. "And how much will we spend on Pakistan?" Another figure was supplied:$2.25 billion. "Well, by my calculations that's a 30-to-1 ratio in favor of Afghanistan. So I have a question. Al Qaeda is almost all in Pakistan, and Pakistan has nuclear weapons. And yet for every dollar we're spending in Pakistan, we're spending $30 in Afghanistan. Does that make strategic sense?" The White House Situation Room fell silent. But the questions had their desired effect: those gathered began putting more thought into Pakistan as the key theater in the region.
auroranorth

De Forest, WI

#84 Oct 11, 2009
bend over the democrats want to drill
Chupacabra

Pinckney, MI

#85 Oct 12, 2009
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>yep, Chicago payoffs and Chicago idiots in the white house.....jeeeze, when Biden is the smartest in the room you know your in trouble..........
Joe Biden had a question. During a long Sunday meeting with President Obama and top national-security advisers on Sept. 13, the VP interjected, "Can I just clarify a factual point? How much will we spend this year on Afghanistan?" Someone provided the figure:$65 billion. "And how much will we spend on Pakistan?" Another figure was supplied:$2.25 billion. "Well, by my calculations that's a 30-to-1 ratio in favor of Afghanistan. So I have a question. Al Qaeda is almost all in Pakistan, and Pakistan has nuclear weapons. And yet for every dollar we're spending in Pakistan, we're spending $30 in Afghanistan. Does that make strategic sense?" The White House Situation Room fell silent. But the questions had their desired effect: those gathered began putting more thought into Pakistan as the key theater in the region.
Days late and the dollar is worthless.
x-nutmegger

Phoenix, AZ

#86 Oct 12, 2009
Walt Green wrote:
<quoted text>
Without getting you into trouble with your PC indoctrination HANDLERS see if you can sneak in a GOOGLE: Mary Surrat

She was involved in one the most reported events of the 19th century.

Obviously your HANDLERS don't want you aware of it because it involved a GOP president.

Location hidden

#87 Oct 12, 2009
x-nutmegger wrote:
<quoted text>
Without getting you into trouble with your PC indoctrination HANDLERS see if you can sneak in a GOOGLE: Mary Surrat
She was involved in one the most reported events of the 19th century.
Obviously your HANDLERS don't want you aware of it because it involved a GOP president.
Surratt was hanged after a trial and conviction. Lynching is punishment without trial, often imposed when no crime has been committed. Lynching was overwhelmingly (but not exclusively) done to African Americans by whites, and the noose, as a symbol of lynching, is still used in attempts to intimidate African Americans who get to uppity for certain white folks' tastes.

And do you really think Lincoln could get elected as a Republican these days? Hahahahaha.
x-nutmegger

Phoenix, AZ

#88 Oct 12, 2009
Walt Green wrote:
<quoted text>
Surratt was hanged after a trial and conviction. Lynching is punishment without trial, often imposed when no crime has been committed. Lynching was overwhelmingly (but not exclusively) done to African Americans by whites, and the noose, as a symbol of lynching, is still used in attempts to intimidate African Americans who get to uppity for certain white folks' tastes.
And do you really think Lincoln could get elected as a Republican these days? Hahahahaha.
Yea , because he represented freedom.

If you check on the 10 most free states you will see that they tend to be Republican. Such as Az. AK. Tx , NH , Tn. etc.
If you look at the least free states they tend to be Dem. MA, NY, MD, NJ , HI and Ct.
auroranorth

De Forest, WI

#89 Oct 13, 2009
x-nutmegger wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea , because he represented freedom.
If you check on the 10 most free states you will see that they tend to be Republican. Such as Az. AK. Tx , NH , Tn. etc.
If you look at the least free states they tend to be Dem. MA, NY, MD, NJ , HI and Ct.
I suppose some pot encrusted fool will now disagree with what you said.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Debbie Wasserman Schultz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GOP establishment plans Trump takedown (Aug '15) Feb 17 Trump is a joke 756
News How Hillary and the Democrats played Russia card Jan 29 just trollin 192
News The Media's Democratic Ties Dec '17 notsofairbalanced... 3
News South Florida braces for affects of possible Ha... (Jan '10) Nov '17 gem 18
News Former Dem IT staffer who fled country to retur... Sep '17 southern at heart 1
News Democratic IT staffer who fled the country stri... Sep '17 John 1
News Powell, Wasserman Schultz support Iran nuclear ... (Sep '15) Aug '17 Obama Wins Again 33
More from around the web