E-Verify Bill Is Potential 'Disaster,...

E-Verify Bill Is Potential 'Disaster,' Washington Fruit Industry Says

There are 8 comments on the blogs.seattleweekly.com story from Aug 3, 2011, titled E-Verify Bill Is Potential 'Disaster,' Washington Fruit Industry Says. In it, blogs.seattleweekly.com reports that:

Representative Lamar Smith, a Texas Republican, believes every employer in America ought to be required to check their workers' Social Security numbers against a federal electronic database, a system called E-Verify, to weed out illegal immigrants from the nation's workforce.

Smith maintains that without immigrants tending the fields, "we could open up millions of jobs for unemployed Americans and legal workers."

But Gempler, whose organization assists farmers with labor issues, scoffs at the notion that unemployed Americans will get off the couch and jump at the chance to pick cherries for 10 hours a day in 100-degree heat.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at blogs.seattleweekly.com.

Linda RN

Spokane, WA

#1 Aug 3, 2011
If you pay them a living wage, and provide them with water, you will have Americans applying for these jobs.

Young people will have a job in the summer, and unemployed people will apply, rather than see their families starve.

Before illegal aliens took over the farm industry, young people used to pick fruit and vegetables for a summer job. Let it go back to allowing Americans to work.
Free is free

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Aug 3, 2011
Pfft!

These agribusinesses all have a vested interest in the status quo, where they get cheap labor and taxpayers bear the social costs of a black market workforce for them. Of course, they're gonna push back on any attempts to change things. They love it just as it is.
US Citizen

Seattle, WA

#3 Aug 3, 2011
More pro illegal alien propaganda bs.
Reality Check

Jacksonville, FL

#4 Aug 3, 2011
Linda RN wrote:
If you pay them a living wage, and provide them with water, you will have Americans applying for these jobs.
Young people will have a job in the summer, and unemployed people will apply, rather than see their families starve.
Before illegal aliens took over the farm industry, young people used to pick fruit and vegetables for a summer job. Let it go back to allowing Americans to work.
Yes Americans should go back to the farm but the only thing those young people aren't young anymore, did you ever see the TV AD with young kids stumble over an apple stand with apples rolling
all over the place trying to get to the bottled apple juice that may tell you how much summer kids knows about farm work or maybe the experience of a school tour to the farm,why the emphasis changes to money talk without knowing if you can manage the job in the fields and get the illegals out? this must be a carefully sorted out act since no one wants throw out the baby with the bath water.
US Citizen

Seattle, WA

#5 Aug 4, 2011
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes Americans should go back to the farm but the only thing those young people aren't young anymore, did you ever see the TV AD with young kids stumble over an apple stand with apples rolling
all over the place trying to get to the bottled apple juice that may tell you how much summer kids knows about farm work or maybe the experience of a school tour to the farm,why the emphasis changes to money talk without knowing if you can manage the job in the fields and get the illegals out? this must be a carefully sorted out act since no one wants throw out the baby with the bath water.
Nice try with the propaganda, more bull turds.

Wartime III

“Operation GTFO Advocate”

Since: Jul 11

Kenyan-Bound Commie Blubber

#6 Aug 4, 2011
Linda RN wrote:
If you pay them a living wage, and provide them with water, you will have Americans applying for these jobs.
Young people will have a job in the summer, and unemployed people will apply, rather than see their families starve.
Before illegal aliens took over the farm industry, young people used to pick fruit and vegetables for a summer job. Let it go back to allowing Americans to work.
Blame the poison of modern liberalism and the media propagandists who've corrupted and indoctrinated the current generation of parents and the youth of this country.

It will take at least another generation for the tide to swing the other way.
Free is free

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Aug 4, 2011
100% truth. The 'war on poverty' was nothing more than a war on initiative and self-reliance. Necessity, not comfort, is the mother of invention.
Wartime III wrote:
<quoted text>
Blame the poison of modern liberalism and the media propagandists who've corrupted and indoctrinated the current generation of parents and the youth of this country.
It will take at least another generation for the tide to swing the other way.
QUITTNER

Toronto, Canada

#8 Aug 4, 2011
10:31 am, Thursday, August 4, 2011:
RE: E-Verify Bill Is Potential 'Disaster,' Washington Fruit Industry Says
..... If it can be done and is practical, and can be enforced "properly", then hiring in general should go by priority in the USA:
1) Citizens of the USA
2) LEGAL residents of the USA
3) Anyone else
..... There probably are many among the unemployed who would be willing to do ANY jobs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christopher Smith Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump administration says houses of worship can... Jan '18 Death on 2 legs 2
News Time for an Immigration Moratorium (Dec '09) Sep '17 C Kersey 4
News With Obama leaving, Congressional Republicans l... (Jan '17) Feb '17 WasteWater 38
News More anti-immigrant legislation: bill would def... (Dec '16) Dec '16 spud 61
News Want to register to vote in this state? You'll ... (Feb '16) Feb '16 wild child 12
News Republicans blame Cruz for year-end confirmations (Dec '14) Dec '14 RayOne 6
News Rep. Smith: Obama Gave $227 Million To Group Im... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Foster 3