Commissioner candidates should be willing to have their ethics ...

Apr 2, 2008 Read more: Asheville Citizen-Times 8
In response to Executive Editor Susan Ihne's column, "Tell us questions you want candidates to answer," , I call for a Buncombe commissioner candidates ethics forum. Read more

Since: Jan 08

Newton, NC

#1 Apr 3, 2008
I'm all for it, Grant. Who have you identified as possible sponsors for such an event? Maybe Dr. Mumpower would like to moderate it?

I'd say throw the forum, invite the candidates, and see who chooses to show up. That would speak volumes.
mike

Casar, NC

#2 Apr 3, 2008
Sounds logical for public servants to take a public stance on ethics. That would be refreshing.
Grant Millin

United States

#3 Apr 3, 2008
Dr. Mumpower does make his positions clear and works hard at his interpretation of patriotism, and he is a good example of sticking your neck out in spite of things.

This is a good UNCA/A C-T/Dem/GOP exercise in political education. I merely offered them a chance to lead.
Cecil Bothwell

Barnardsville, NC

#4 Apr 6, 2008
Transparency in government is one of my core platform issues, and the chief reason I decided to run for the Board of Commissioners. As a reporter I have been all too aware of the violation of both the letter and the spirit of North Carolina's open meetings law by the incumbent commissioners.

As for conflict of interest, look no further than the Parkside/Coleman sale. Bill Stanley owned the Hayes & Hopson building for years and his partner Wallace Hyde sold it to Coleman. Stanley must have known where the parcel of park property was when he voted to sell it to Coleman as well. And Stanley is on record saying that he's completely comfortable with that sale.

Meanwhile, Hyde raised $60,000 at a house party for Commissioner David Young in February. Young is running for State Treasurer.

Seems a bit too cozy to me.

Then there's Nathan Ramsey whose family made millions on the Cliffs at High Carolina and who refused to recuse himself from a vote on that project.

And Carol Peterson who sold her farm to developers for tens of millions.

Big money from developers. Who is representing the average person in this county? I'd be happy to open my tax returns to anyone who cares to examine them. I've never made more than the $30,000 per year I was paid as managing editor of the Mountain Xpress, and my campaign is based on asking for $10 donations from average folks.

Both the County Commissioners and the City Council rejected a proposal for more sunshine in government here that I presented on behalf of the Asheville Buncombe Policy Institute. We asked them to consider implementing the Florida Sunshine law, considered the best public meetings law in the country by government scholars - a law that has worked well in Florida for 40 years.

Too much sunshine for Buncombe, I guess.
Dan

Lincolnton, NC

#5 Apr 6, 2008
Cecil Bothwell wrote:
As for conflict of interest, look no further than the Parkside/Coleman sale. Bill Stanley owned the Hayes & Hopson building for years and his partner Wallace Hyde sold it to Coleman. Stanley must have known where the parcel of park property was when he voted to sell it to Coleman as well. And Stanley is on record saying that he's completely comfortable with that sale.
Meanwhile, Hyde raised $60,000 at a house party for Commissioner David Young in February. Young is running for State Treasurer.
Seems a bit too cozy to me.
Then there's Nathan Ramsey whose family made millions on the Cliffs at High Carolina and who refused to recuse himself from a vote on that project.
And Carol Peterson who sold her farm to developers for tens of millions.
Big money from developers. Who is representing the average person in this county? I'd be happy to open my tax returns to anyone who cares to examine them. I've never made more than the $30,000 per year I was paid as managing editor of the Mountain Xpress, and my campaign is based on asking for $10 donations from average folks.
Both the County Commissioners and the City Council rejected a proposal for more sunshine in government here that I presented on behalf of the Asheville Buncombe Policy Institute. We asked them to consider implementing the Florida Sunshine law, considered the best public meetings law in the country by government scholars - a law that has worked well in Florida for 40 years.
Too much sunshine for Buncombe, I guess.
Anyone that has been around Asheville for any length of time knows all these folks are very cozy. They scratch each other's backs frequently. To not be aware of this cronyism would be difficult. It's time to elect some representatives who aren't putting ringers in the driver's seat for their own gain. An ethical person with a brain would be a fresh approach here. Why not?

Since: Mar 08

Asheville

#6 Apr 6, 2008
Ooops, I didn't log in before the previous post. My bad. I thought that the system prevented anyone from using a "registered" name. Anyway, that was, in fact, me, not the idiot who likes to play me on Topix.

Dan, that's why I'm running. If regular folks would step up to the plate and take part in government more often, we could have government by the people and for the people.

Since: Mar 08

Asheville

#7 Apr 6, 2008
And per Gordon's suggestion about throwing the forum and seeing who shows up, I would suggest that a candidate's ticket to the forum should be copies of the last four year's tax returns.

Hmmm?
Hmmmm

Asheville, NC

#8 Apr 7, 2008
Lets see if the democrats support this. Doubtful.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charles Taylor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Does America Hate Islam? Jan '15 Just Wondering 4
News Why Pat Robertson is responsible for Ebola (Oct '14) Oct '14 Cordwainer Trout 5
News Mechanic who built first aircraft engine for Wr... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Loony Lib 1
News Wright brothers' mechanic honored at Ohio museum (Jul '14) Jul '14 Charles Taylor 1
News Why Does America Hate Islam? (Jul '14) Jul '14 Take Your Country... 4
News Seth Banks to run for District Attorney (Aug '13) Aug '13 joebob 1
News McCrory to headline Dec. 8 Charles Taylor Holid... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Lisa Anderson 3
More from around the web