Social Security errors: $6.5 billion | The Columbus Dispatch

The Social Security Administration made $6.5 billion in overpayments to people not entitled to receive them in 2009, including $4 billion under a supplemental income program for the very poor, a government investigator said yesterday. Full Story
fitzy64

Dublin, OH

#1 Jun 15, 2011
I don't see, in this article, where Social Security is going to go back and collect the overpayments. That would put 6.5 billion dollars back into the system and assist with improving the position of Social Security financially. Also, oversight needs to be addressed so overpayments don't continue to happen; the same for underpayments.
rls

Columbus, OH

#3 Jun 15, 2011
The government should stop giving the money to people that don't pay anything into it. The illegals that come here and some of the leagles are collecting this money and our own citzens that pay into ot can not get it.
tip

Columbus, OH

#4 Jun 15, 2011
fitzy64 wrote:
I don't see, in this article, where Social Security is going to go back and collect the overpayments. That would put 6.5 billion dollars back into the system and assist with improving the position of Social Security financially. Also, oversight needs to be addressed so overpayments don't continue to happen; the same for underpayments.
But big-government liberals insist it is big-business that is fleecing Americans. LOL.
Freakin hentai

Delaware, OH

#5 Jun 15, 2011
Wow! All kind of poorly managed monetary shyitt's coming out of the woodwork now that's contributing to the debt that has been piled on over the past several years.
rta

United States

#6 Jun 15, 2011
Why aren't the politicians jumping on this and demanding this be fixed as in "collecting the overpayments" and taking care of the underpayments. This is just another area that needs to be addressed and handled. We don't ever hear of anyone willing to look at this and demand it be fixed. Stop paying soc sec to non-citizens! Pay our citizens FIRST! This is a lot money that is being lost at the expense of people who deserve their soc sec payments.And to think they haven't had a cost of living raise!
George

Columbus, OH

#7 Jun 15, 2011
rls wrote:
The government should stop giving the money to people that don't pay anything into it. The illegals that come here and some of the leagles are collecting this money and our own citzens that pay into ot can not get it.
Illegals cant get it, you gasbag! So refund any illegals any money that they put into the system and can;t collect.
George

Columbus, OH

#8 Jun 15, 2011
rta wrote:
Why aren't the politicians jumping on this and demanding this be fixed as in "collecting the overpayments" and taking care of the underpayments. This is just another area that needs to be addressed and handled. We don't ever hear of anyone willing to look at this and demand it be fixed. Stop paying soc sec to non-citizens! Pay our citizens FIRST! This is a lot money that is being lost at the expense of people who deserve their soc sec payments.And to think they haven't had a cost of living raise!
They do collect the overpayments.
Bwahaha

Columbus, OH

#9 Jun 15, 2011
George wrote:
<quoted text>They do collect the overpayments.
Uh-huh. You can't get blood from a turnip.
Stop the Tyranny

Saint Louis, MO

#10 Jun 15, 2011
Typical outcome anytime the gov is involved.
oh dear

Columbus, OH

#11 Jun 15, 2011
Stop the Tyranny wrote:
Typical outcome anytime the gov is involved.
I read your name as "Stop the Tranny" and I thought your post would be about Michelle.
Hmm

Columbus, OH

#12 Jun 15, 2011
Bwahaha wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh-huh. You can't get blood from a turnip.
OH really? Are you a farmer?

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#13 Jun 15, 2011
George wrote:
<quoted text>They do collect the overpayments.
Bwahaha wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh-huh. You can't get blood from a turnip.
If they still receive SS benefits, the feds will deduct the overpayment before distributing their monthly check.
Bwahaha

Columbus, OH

#14 Jun 15, 2011
GoodWitchofOhio wrote:
George wrote:
<quoted text>They do collect the overpayments.
<quoted text>
If they still receive SS benefits, the feds will deduct the overpayment before distributing their monthly check.
A government investigator says the Social Security Administration made $6.5 BILLION in overpayments TO PEOPLE NOT ENTITLED TO RECEIVE THEM in 2009, including $4 BILLION under a supplemental income program for the very poor.....

Throughout the federal government, improper payments totaled $125 BILLION last year, up from $110 BILLION in 2009....In 2009, only two other agencies the Departments of Health and Human Services, and Labor had more improper payments than Social Security....

Good luck.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charles Boustany Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shreveport candidates use social media to targe... Sep 7 Yougiow 1
Lawmakers: IRS lost more emails in tea party probe Jun '14 lolol 6
McAllister lays low, hopes scandal passes Apr '14 Debbie 1
'Doc Fix' Puts Republicans in Election-Year Bind (Mar '14) Mar '14 foster 10
Obama's IRS 'Confusion' (Feb '14) Feb '14 Cat74 132
Obamacare push accelerates as government shutdo... (Sep '13) Oct '13 bs alert 111
Immigration supporters fear they're losing camp... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Brenda besson 14
•••

Charles Boustany People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••