Social Security makes $8 billion in improper payments

Jun 14, 2011 Full story: Cleveland.com 148

The Social Security Administration made $6.5 billion in overpayments to people not entitled to receive them in 2009, including $4 billion under a supplemental income program for the very poor, a government investigator said Tuesday.

Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Question

New York, NY

#148 Jun 27, 2011
Can SS get the money back?
Jesse B

United States

#149 Jun 27, 2011
We won't suffer long. We will put Republicans in in 2012, and we can fix S S then.
arby

Lansing, IL

#150 Jun 27, 2011
Question wrote:
i for one, doubt it. i've heard that the money that was 'borrowed' from the trust fund is backed by government bonds. is this the same government that is on the verge of going bankrupt?
arby

Lansing, IL

#151 Jun 27, 2011
Jesse B wrote:
We won't suffer long. We will put Republicans in in 2012, and we can fix S S then.
only if we get both sides to agree on a possible solution. that hasn't happened in a long time.

Since: Jan 10

Las Vegas, NV

#152 Jun 28, 2011
Question wrote:
Probably not. It appears SS does not have a very good fraud prevention capability, so probably no recoup procedures. Besides lawyers will make it difficult
Devin

Newport News, VA

#153 Jun 28, 2011
Here in Vegas wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand your arithmetic. I am happy my tax dollars weren't totally wasted on your education.
So, in your household of 2.6, if a certain person loses his or her job, it's not that bad then. The other per capita people in the household still make $30,632(?) They could adopt a battalion of 16 year old high school drop outs and be millionaires. Those per capita incomes add up don't they?
You don't have a problem with my arithmetic, you have a problem with Median income in America being 25,787 and Household Median Income being below $50.000 and in red states even worse.

It makes the argument of supporting the low taxes on the top 6 Million in a population of 306 Million low income earners seem well pretty bizarre.

Since: Jan 10

Las Vegas, NV

#156 Jun 28, 2011
Devin wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have a problem with my arithmetic, you have a problem with Median income in America being 25,787 and Household Median Income being below $50.000 and in red states even worse.
It makes the argument of supporting the low taxes on the top 6 Million in a population of 306 Million low income earners seem well pretty bizarre.
Red states? What's that got to do with anything? It's the fact that a per capita figure when it comes to income is meaningless. By your logic, if the bread winner of the family looses his/her job there is no need for unemployment comp, the other members of the family can pick it the slack their per capita income.

So all you rich blue state types can pick up the tax shortfall then.
Mike Ledford

Charlottesville, VA

#157 Sep 19, 2011
It wasn't Obama or Bush. It just happened on their watch. Have you not noticed that the government is generally incompetent? And you want them to manage your retirement? No thanks.

They'll keep paying SS, but they'll also find ways to make the payments smaller.

Here are some real world ways to make retirement a little easier. It's about more than just money, after all... http://www.antiagingjournal.org/living-life-i...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charles Boustany Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ryan set for collision course with Obama Nov '14 Le Duped 4
Lawmakers: IRS lost more emails in tea party probe (Jun '14) Jun '14 lolol 6
McAllister lays low, hopes scandal passes (Apr '14) Apr '14 Debbie 1
'Doc Fix' Puts Republicans in Election-Year Bind (Mar '14) Mar '14 foster 10
Obama's IRS 'Confusion' (Feb '14) Feb '14 Cat74 132
Obamacare push accelerates as government shutdo... (Sep '13) Oct '13 bs alert 111
Immigration supporters fear they're losing camp... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Brenda besson 14
More from around the web