Democratic outsource attack alienating Indian American vote bank

Oct 24, 2010 Full story: New Delhi News.Net 7

New Delhi News.Net Sunday 24th October, 2010 Democratic attacks on employment outsourcing in this year's campaigns are alienating a once-stalwart source of the party's funding, Indian-Americans, who believe India is sharing blame unfairly for the decline of U.S. manufacturing jobs.

Full Story
levelheaded

Honolulu, HI

#1 Oct 24, 2010
Americans do have a good disposable income and thus have one of the highest standards of living in the world. Let us suppose an American earns US$2000 to $3000 monthly. Few Americans can or will work for less than US$7/hour. It is almost impossible to survive if you work for less than US$7/hour. They can still have the highest standard of living in the world. How come?

The reason why they can have the highest standard of living is because they can buy inexpensive goods from developing nations.

Let's take the case of tennis shoes. Please make a trip to shoe retail outlets or for that matter textile or electronics retail outlets. Check it out. There are very few USA made tennis shoes in the retail stores in USA. You can buy tennis shoes made in China for as little as US$25. If the same shoe is made in USA, it would cost probably US$150-US$300. This the price Americans have to pay if they insist on buying only USA made goods. What does it mean if all the goods on display in retail stores are made in USA: it means that almost all prices of the goods on display in retail stores have to be multiplied by 5 or 10. It is impossible. How are Americans going to feed their families earning US$2000 to US$3000 a month. It's impossible. The only way out is to import cheap goods from developing nations. It is these cheap imports that give Americans the good life. Right now, right next to me is a shirt that is made in Vietnam. Please do me a favor if you are an American. Please remove your clothes and check to find out where your underwear, your shirt, pants, bra, skirt, etc are made in. Youd be surprised by how unknowingly you are supportive of cheap imports. Please do me another favor if you are American. Please check your office and household goods. Gosh! Unknowingly Americans have been so supportive of cheap imports. It does not really matter as long as it continues to give Americans the good life.

If Americans insist on stopping outsourcing and buying only USA made goods, then they must be willing to pay the price; and the price would be that the current retail prices in USA must be multiplied by 5 to 10. Im not kidding.

Whats the difference? The difference is that Americans are unwilling to work for less than US$7/hour. In third world nations there a people who can feed their families by earning US$1 or US$2 a day.

If Americans want to continue to keep the highest standard of living in the world, they have to continue to import cheap goods from third world nations. The free trade and free market economy is still the best.

“We are what we think!!!!!!!!!!”

Since: Aug 08

Anger has no eyes!

#2 Oct 24, 2010
"For the first time, USINPAC, the chief Indian-American lobbying group, has begun spending on Republican candidates, in large part because of the outsourcing issue.

"There's a very high level of energy and activism right now. We expect a little better from our leaders on our issues...and we are constantly looking at their challengers," said Sanjay Puri, the USINPAC chairman. "

I've been affected many times by outsourcing and I hate outsourcing. I find it disgusting when US politicians don't talk about massive outsourcing to China, Mexico, Russia and many other countries in Eastern Europe because it's cheap their. Comparatively, much less has been outsourced to India.

I even found Obama to be lacking in general knowledge when he spoke about Bangalore vs US. I'm NOT very pleased for voting for him! Just another politician!!!

Since: Mar 08

Allentown, PA

#3 Oct 25, 2010
The contradiction. We're supposed to be one big happy global community... until it comes to business.
To levelheaded: I always ask how much change in the US economy was consumer driven, meaning demanding high pay while still expecting bargain basement prices on everything. Something had to give. US jobs gave out first.
levelheaded

Honolulu, HI

#4 Oct 25, 2010
LookingToEscape wrote:
The contradiction. We're supposed to be one big happy global community... until it comes to business.
To levelheaded: I always ask how much change in the US economy was consumer driven, meaning demanding high pay while still expecting bargain basement prices on everything. Something had to give. US jobs gave out first.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thank you.
Vivek Golikeri

Hollywood, FL

#5 Jan 18, 2013
First-generation Indian-Americans may care about the interests of India as a nation. However, persons of Indian descent like me who were raised in a western environment wish India well but care more about life here. I do not appreciate seeing well-paying jobs sent overseas. I want that job in America.

When I was younger and society was more racist, I felt a bond with other minorities like blacks, Hispanics, Native Americans or the like. Today, when whites are generally quite accepting, I see myself as just a US person. India is a decent, civilized nation, but that's not where my life is built or my bread gets buttered.
Meena

Alpharetta, GA

#6 Jan 31, 2013
I also noticed that it's all about HR process these days you get an interview and you attend the interview HR goes through post interview questions and that's the end of it. Hiring is the last in their minds...This could go on and on ...Me and my husband both are looking for jobs and this is what we go through week in week out....
bAdMash_43

Concord, CA

#7 Apr 22, 2013
Well guys who cares about India? We live in US and have bills and families here. We should really worry about this country's welfare. Let India take care of iitself

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bobby Jindal Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 8 min Strel 149,114
Bobby Jindal on David Vitter: a Turn the record... Thu AA 1
Texas, Louisiana brace for ice as bitter US win... Wed Barry Backfire Duh 12
Walker: I Don't Know if Obama Is a Christian Feb 23 News Skeptic 3
Ramesh Ponnuru: Republicans unite to ignore imm... Feb 23 wild child 2
Obama takes fire for Crusades comparison Feb 22 spocko 505
Giuliani questions Obama's love of US; Democrat... Feb 22 Newland 2
More from around the web