On day 1, Obama moves to reverse Bush policies

There are 34 comments on the The Santa Fe New Mexican story from Jan 21, 2009, titled On day 1, Obama moves to reverse Bush policies. In it, The Santa Fe New Mexican reports that:

WASHINGTON a ' President Barack Obama moved swiftly Wednesday to begin rolling back eight years of his predecessor's policies, ordering tough new ethics rules and preparing to issue an order closing the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Santa Fe New Mexican.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
dwalk

United States

#1 Jan 22, 2009
With President Barack Hussein Obama closing Guatanamo and the prisons in Europe and elsewhere, why hasn't our beloved Governor and Liberal Democrats volunteered to accept those prisoners here locally?
It is now time for Democrats to step up, take responsibility and accept all of those falsely charged terrorists as registered voters and citizens.
You have been preaching and standing up for them for eight years. Now is the time for you to prove what you have been proclaiming by accepting them into your towns, neighborhoods and lifestyles.
What? I am not hearing much from you.
Your silence is deafening!
Your posts

Santa Fe, NM

#2 Jan 22, 2009
dwalk wrote:
With President Barack Hussein Obama closing Guatanamo and the prisons in Europe and elsewhere, why hasn't our beloved Governor and Liberal Democrats volunteered to accept those prisoners here locally?
It is now time for Democrats to step up, take responsibility and accept all of those falsely charged terrorists as registered voters and citizens.
You have been preaching and standing up for them for eight years. Now is the time for you to prove what you have been proclaiming by accepting them into your towns, neighborhoods and lifestyles.
are mind-numbing in their stupidity.
u really

Powhatan Point, OH

#3 Jan 22, 2009
dwalk wrote:
are anti american in that you have no idea of the founding priciples which govern us, nor do you have even a scitilla of understanding of the protections afforded to all in the Constitution. To support breaking those standards in open defiance of the rule of law shows your lack of patriotism and your willingness to sacrifice the american way for some sort of pale retribution. Your silence in the face of these violations by Bush & Co. is telling of your character and morals.

Since: Sep 08

Miyazaki

#4 Jan 22, 2009
dwalk wrote:
I guess you don't suppose that being held and tortured for six years might make a person hostile towards the United States, even if he held no particular political beliefs beforehand.

The real problem is that these people were picked up without cause, tortured into making any kinds of statements, leaving a trail of tainted evidence so contorted that there is no way any of them could get a fair hearing any place in the world. The fact that they cannot now be tried or convicted is entirely the fault of the former Commander in Chief who operated so totally outside of the law.

The only fair thing that could be done now is to release them. But that is dangerous, precisely because they were mistreated. It wouldn't be such a dilemma if George W. Bush hadn't screwed it up so royally.

At least we can be sure that the new Commander in Chief has some knowledge of, and respect for the Constitution, the laws of the United States, and the Geneva Conventions. Too bad his predecessor was such an idiot.
RandyNason

Santa Fe, NM

#5 Jan 22, 2009
dwalk wrote:
The base ignorance of the previous administration is surpassed only by those who support it, still. I would sooner take in an illegally, wrongly-jailed individual than I would a person such as yourself, who endorses irrational, illegal and dangerous ideology like a bad joke.

Placitas, NM

#6 Jan 22, 2009
From the article concerning FOIA: ""The old rules said that if there was a defensible argument for not disclosing something to the American people, then it should not be disclosed. That era is over now,"

Sure got the chief Nazi all upset:

"LIMBAUGH: What Iím afraid of is that what Obama did with this executive order is actually make it easier for the media to go get Bush documents. Because you know Pelosi and some of the guys over in congress are talking about war crimes trials and charges and so forth.[Ö]"
Cove

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Jan 22, 2009
u really wrote:
<quoted text>are anti american in that you have no idea of the founding priciples which govern us, nor do you have even a scitilla of understanding of the protections afforded to all in the Constitution. To support breaking those standards in open defiance of the rule of law shows your lack of patriotism and your willingness to sacrifice the american way for some sort of pale retribution. Your silence in the face of these violations by Bush & Co. is telling of your character and morals.
Your and Obama's silence in the face of the atrocities committed with American support by Israel in Gaza is telling of your and Obama's lack of character and moral values. Your selective indignation ring hollow. Hypocrites both.
u really

Powhatan Point, OH

#8 Jan 22, 2009
Cove wrote:
<quoted text>
Your and Obama's silence in the face of the atrocities committed with American support by Israel in Gaza is telling of your and Obama's lack of character and moral values. Your selective indignation ring hollow. Hypocrites both.
need to take some of those old people memory pills; I have repeatedly said I am against the settlements and I have been on the side of palestinian statehood. I am not on the side of Hamas, who through assasinations and terror on their own people have destroyed the notion of a 2 state solution. Hamas has killed more fatah leaders than anyone, but I guess you have selective indignation as well. I am aslo on the side of taking a defensive stance against unprovoked attacks of any kind by anyone but you seem to give certain factions the greenlight to perpetuate attacks on certain populations with no recriminations. I am quite positive Pres. Obama can solve some of the issues betweem all the factions and they can live in a truce, which one day may lead to peace.

“What, Me Worry?”

Santa Fe, NM

#9 Jan 22, 2009
Steve van Dresser wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you don't suppose that being held and tortured for six years might make a person hostile towards the United States, even if he held no particular political beliefs beforehand.
The real problem is that these people were picked up without cause, tortured into making any kinds of statements, leaving a trail of tainted evidence so contorted that there is no way any of them could get a fair hearing any place in the world. The fact that they cannot now be tried or convicted is entirely the fault of the former Commander in Chief who operated so totally outside of the law.
The only fair thing that could be done now is to release them. But that is dangerous, precisely because they were mistreated. It wouldn't be such a dilemma if George W. Bush hadn't screwed it up so royally.
At least we can be sure that the new Commander in Chief has some knowledge of, and respect for the Constitution, the laws of the United States, and the Geneva Conventions. Too bad his predecessor was such an idiot.
You really believe all the detainees were picked up without cause and are innocent? Wow.
James from Santa Fe

Santa Fe, NM

#10 Jan 22, 2009
Cove wrote:
<quoted text>
Because a 3,000+ year old conflict over 7,000 miles away is more important than immediate national security concerns.

Sure, it's a horrific conflict, but at this point is seems the the UN has more at stake here than the US. Part of the Obama administrations shift in foreign policy will be taking a step back from being the world's police. Where in the constitution does it demand that we, as a nation, take action in foreign conflicts? Where's your outrage at the rest of the world not doing anything?
Cove

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Jan 22, 2009
u really wrote:
<quoted text> need to take some of those old people memory pills; I have repeatedly said I am against the settlements and I have been on the side of palestinian statehood. I am not on the side of Hamas, who through assasinations and terror on their own people have destroyed the notion of a 2 state solution. Hamas has killed more fatah leaders than anyone, but I guess you have selective indignation as well. I am aslo on the side of taking a defensive stance against unprovoked attacks of any kind by anyone but you seem to give certain factions the greenlight to perpetuate attacks on certain populations with no recriminations. I am quite positive Pres. Obama can solve some of the issues betweem all the factions and they can live in a truce, which one day may lead to peace.
My dementia withstanding, I still haven't seen or heard you or Obama mention the words Gaza, Israel, children and horror in the same breath. Certainly any mention of the chicken-or-egg responsibility for the problems in Palestine seem to start with "Hamas" and not with the O word ... occupation.

Obama, Axlerod, Emanuel, Biden (self-proclaimed Zionist) and Sec. of State Clinton all have supported torture and anti-Muslim pro-Israel Anti-Arab anti-Persian positions, as I am afraid you have. With age comes wisdom and as Ronald Reagan said 'I will not hold your youth and inexperience against you" but I will never allow you or my President to excuse the murder of innocent people for some misplaced political or religious selfish reasons or allegiance.
u really

Powhatan Point, OH

#12 Jan 22, 2009
Cove wrote:
<quoted text>
My dementia withstanding, I still haven't seen or heard you or Obama mention the words Gaza, Israel, children and horror in the same breath. Certainly any mention of the chicken-or-egg responsibility for the problems in Palestine seem to start with "Hamas" and not with the O word ... occupation.
Obama, Axlerod, Emanuel, Biden (self-proclaimed Zionist) and Sec. of State Clinton all have supported torture and anti-Muslim pro-Israel Anti-Arab anti-Persian positions, as I am afraid you have. With age comes wisdom and as Ronald Reagan said 'I will not hold your youth and inexperience against you" but I will never allow you or my President to excuse the murder of innocent people for some misplaced political or religious selfish reasons or allegiance.
need to stop justification of terror: justification is how these conflicts stay unresolved
Cove

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Jan 22, 2009
James from Santa Fe wrote:
<quoted text>
Because a 3,000+ year old conflict over 7,000 miles away is more important than immediate national security concerns.
Sure, it's a horrific conflict, but at this point is seems the the UN has more at stake here than the US. Part of the Obama administrations shift in foreign policy will be taking a step back from being the world's police. Where in the constitution does it demand that we, as a nation, take action in foreign conflicts? Where's your outrage at the rest of the world not doing anything?
Mostly James, it is the fact the Israel is completely supported and armed by my and your tax dollars. Israel is in fact the proxy oppressors for the U.S. at the same time as they are the most dangerous rogue nuke "State" in the world. The Palestinian/Israeli conflict is the key to world peace. It is nothing short of the single largest impediment to the establishment a system of true justice by my country in regards to foreign policy.
James from Santa Fe

Santa Fe, NM

#14 Jan 22, 2009
Cove wrote:
<quoted text>
You should really find a hobby which takes your mind off Israel, or move there. I here model airplanes are fun, as is embroidery.

Point being, Israel/Palestine's security is NOT the sole responsibility of of the president of the United State of America. Especially not on his first day. Your expectations are extremely unrealistic.
Lets

Albuquerque, NM

#15 Jan 22, 2009
let Israel fend for themselves
Cove

Albuquerque, NM

#16 Jan 22, 2009
Paul Revere was a terrorist.
Nathan Hale was a suicide bomber.
The Boston Tea Party was an act of terrorism ... There is no justification for violence.
Resistance is futile.
Down with the Minutemen ... long live the King of England.

Now back to my needlepoint.
u really

Powhatan Point, OH

#17 Jan 22, 2009
Cove wrote:
Paul Revere was a terrorist.
Nathan Hale was a suicide bomber.
The Boston Tea Party was an act of terrorism ... There is no justification for violence.
Resistance is futile.
Down with the Minutemen ... long live the King of England.
Now back to my needlepoint.
need a history lesson
PlacitasRoy

Placitas, NM

#18 Jan 22, 2009
Instituting the pay freeze is good symbolism! Not really a big $ savings.

I'm delighted Obama's Executive Order on Ethics requires that lobbyists who become members of Obama administration will not be able to work on matters they lobbied on for 2 years, or in the agencies they lobbied during the previous 2 years. Anyone who leaves the Obama administration will not be able to lobby his administration as long as he is in office. I would like to see the parameters of the gift ban by lobbyists.

I see cove successfully detracted the discussion.
Mark

Las Vegas, NM

#19 Jan 22, 2009
Toucan Tango wrote:
<quoted text>
You really believe all the detainees were picked up without cause and are innocent? Wow.
Yeah, but Toucan Tango, that's the point. We don't know if these detainees were picked up because they are suspected terrorists or if they were just picked up. There is no code of law governing their imprisonment. Bush & Co. has held them with no further justification as to why.

That's not America. In America, you have every right to a fair and speedy trial and you have every right to face your accuser. The Constitution doesn't guarantee justice for only American citizens, it guarantees justice for everyone within the American judicial system.

These detainees have been held with no trial and no way of appealing their imprisonment. How would you like you or any of your family members to be locked up indefinitely because you're an "enemy of the state?"

Miyazaki

#20 Jan 22, 2009
Toucan Tango wrote:
<quoted text>
Of the hundreds who have been detained indefinitely, only three have had hearings of any kind and were found guilty of anything. Nobody knows how many are totally innocent. But human beings should not be held without hearings, lawyers, evidence, confrontation of witnesses against them, and all the safeguards that our forefathers built into the system to assure that it would be fair, just, and transparent.

How many hundreds of innocent people do you think should be wrongly held to prevent a few dangerous ones from getting loose? It sounds as though you don't care at all for those who have been wrongly imprisoned; even the government admits that many have been held without justification. How would you feel about the United States if you had been wrongfully held and tortured for six years?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bill Young Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Election Day Rituals: Movies, Meals and Mass (Nov '14) Nov '14 Le Jimbo 32
News Police remove Sheehan from Bush speech (Feb '06) Oct '14 Swedenforever 6
News Park Boulevard may become the latest memorial t... (Mar '14) May '14 broke 3
News A fight in Fla. for national bragging rights (Feb '14) May '14 Penny 14
News Republicans won the Florida special election. H... (Mar '14) Mar '14 about that 33
News Florida Election Tests Midterm Messaging (Mar '14) Mar '14 wild child 1
News Florida election a bellwether for fall U.S. mid... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Cat74 20
More from around the web