Push to send FEMA trailers to Haiti stirs backlash

Full story: LA Daily News

The trailer industry and lawmakers are pressing the government to send Haiti thousands of potentially formaldehyde-laced trailers left over from Hurricane Katrina - an idea denounced by some as a crass and self-serving attempt to dump inferior American products on the poor.
Comments
1 - 4 of 4 Comments Last updated Jan 31, 2010
UR notsosmart

Bangkok, Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2010

Actually they are too good for Haiti.
Norman Moore

Dubuque, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2010

I am certain that there are thousands of these units located all over that have the same level of formaldehyde. Why would the so called FEMA trailers be manufactured using different materials. Anyplace where there is particle board and plywood there is formaldehyde and if it was bad, which it may well be, then who let it be used so extensively in the first place?

These units could be a Godsend for Haiti because given the level of destruction and the abject poverty it will be years before housing can be provided for the citizens there. if ever it can be.
OldGrowthEucalyp tus

Malibu, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2010

We're gonna send them over for 3 Months, let everyone get settled in, and then take them all back. Just like we did after Katrina. I mean Latrina...
Anamouse

Granada Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2010

Formaldehyde is in the glue and it disapates as it dries. By now the formaldehyde levels would be so low that they wouldn't be a factor. It's like the new car smell, it just doesn't last that long.

Formaldehyde was used for years before we became aware it was real bad for some people. Millions of kids worked with it in school and few had any problems as a result.

If the people in Haiti have a choice between tents and trailers that once smelled like formaldehyde I'm sure their going to choose the trailers. I would.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••