Estate tax relief legislation submitt...

Estate tax relief legislation submitted by Thompson

There are 1 comment on the Daily Democrat story from Jun 4, 2010, titled Estate tax relief legislation submitted by Thompson. In it, Daily Democrat reports that:

Congressman Mike Thompson has introduced legislation that would bring tax relief to family farmers, ranchers, and open space landholders.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Democrat.

Dan

Somerset, MA

#1 Jun 4, 2010
Tax breaks for people who put conservation easements on their land is a great idea. If you're really scared of development on your land, this is what to do. A lot of people who gripe about the estate tax say that it will force them to let people develop on their land, but then they don't put an easement on it. This is because they want to sell this land to developers after they inherit it. If you sell shortly after inheritance, you can avoid a potentially huge capital gains tax. All the value appreciated on an asset during the decedent's lifetime is no longer taxable as capital gain once the asset is bequeathed.

Many executors who make the "don't want to develop" gripe really do want to sell to developers, but they also want to avoid having to pay the estate tax. Sounds like having your cake and eating it too to me. Estate tax exemptions for land on conservation easements would really mitigate this complaint.
A strong estate tax is very important in general. It is the most progressive tax in our federal system and at 2009 exemption levels it only affected less than 1 percent of all estates.

Check out United for a Fair Economy. They have some very interesting ideas on why we need a strong estate tax.

www.faireconomy.org/estatetax

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bennie Thompson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ole Miss removes Mississippi flag with Confeder... (Oct '15) Oct '16 National Review 194
News Trump, aiming to widen support, makes pitch to ... (Aug '16) Sep '16 Michel Montvert 45
News Mississippi congressman's staffer faces tax eva... (Aug '16) Aug '16 He Named Me Black... 1
News Protesters want to nix Confederate sign on Miss... (Jun '16) Jun '16 davy 2
News Republicans defend display of Confederate image... (Jun '16) Jun '16 WeTheSheeple 42
News House overwhelmingly approves bill restricting ... (Dec '15) Jan '16 private guy 37
News Ole Miss removes Mississippi flag with Confeder... (Oct '15) Oct '15 L Morales 2
More from around the web