Our View: Forest fire fight in dark o...

Our View: Forest fire fight in dark of night

There are 4 comments on the Pasadena Star-News story from Apr 10, 2010, titled Our View: Forest fire fight in dark of night. In it, Pasadena Star-News reports that:

We wish we had the absolute certainty about the tragic Station Fire that Supervisor Mike Antonovich has: "The Forest Service's flawed policy prevented the early extinguishment of the recent Station Fire," Antonovich said recently.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Pasadena Star-News.

Andy K

AOL

#1 Apr 11, 2010
I suggest you listen to the pilots, not the arm chair quarterbacks sitting peacefully at home.
CableNewsGuy

Pasadena, CA

#2 Apr 11, 2010
There are no absolutes where humans are concerned. Closest policy is to quit issuing building permits next to those fire prone areas. Firefighters shouldn't be subject to political stupidity.
Hiker

La Quinta, CA

#3 Apr 11, 2010
It isn't just about night flying. We all would still like to know why air resources were called off on the second morning of the fire, when the air was calm and there was still good visibility.
firefish

Moreno Valley, CA

#4 Apr 12, 2010
It is not just about flying. The USFS has created a new belief that fighting fire at night is simply bad. When I started in this business 26 years ago, night was when most of the work was done. Once someone was killed in the dark, the USFS made the decission that fighting fire at night was too dangerous. They operate off the liability principle since they are self insured and don't want to have to cover death benefits out of their own budgets. The public just doesn't know.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Adam Schiff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Essential Politics: Calling for change to 'inex... Apr 22 Lawrence Wolf 16
News CIA-armed militias are shooting at Pentagon-arm... Apr 8 WelbyMD 27
News U.S. frustration simmers over Belgium's struggl... Mar '16 Le Jimbo 16
News Senate proposal on encryption gives judges broa... Mar '16 positronium 7
News Did Trump truly repudiate torture and the murde... Mar '16 The Horror the HO... 9
News High stakes as Hillary Clinton heads to Capitol... (Oct '15) Feb '16 Golf Foxtrot Yankee 4
News Benghazi chill ripples through State Dept. Feb '16 Golf Foxtrot Yankee 1
More from around the web