Women who have seen combat say liftin...

Women who have seen combat say lifting ban is 'getting with the times'

There are 40 comments on the CNN story from Jan 24, 2013, titled Women who have seen combat say lifting ban is 'getting with the times'. In it, CNN reports that:

From left, Marines Sgt. Sheena Adams and Lance Cpl. Kristi Baker and Navy Hospital Corpsman Shannon Crowley work with a Female Engagement Team in Afghanistan in November 2010.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Strawberry Zachary

United States

#21 Jan 24, 2013
Kenhunt wrote:
<quoted text>You insulted every person who served in uniform for our country, including many buried at Arlington, Normandy, and many other places. You are a steaming pile of shit.
Funny, I just left a steaming pile of shit on a grave at arlington! Lots of piss, too.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#22 Jan 24, 2013
Eron wrote:
<quoted text>
The standard in the Army is already different between the genders. Its not a good barometer. A woman who maxes the female PT test in the Army is in no way in the sane physical condition as a male who maxes his test.
As an enlisted Infantry Soldier, we had female medics attached to us in Afghanistan. Not a good move, for them or us when speed and violence of action were the norm. They just couldn't hang through a 3-4 day mission.
The same thing happened a couple years later on my next deployment as a Field Artillery Officer, who's unit was asked to do a maneuver mission, again in Afghanistan, this time with even more female medics attached throughout the battalion.
And finally, while the lines of combat are blurred in the asymmetrical warfight and women have been killed maimed and even captured on the battlefield, the fact remains that as a nation we have never asked our daughters to go to war. Since we are now allowing then to take frontline positions its only a matter of time before the inevitable lawsuit or piece of legislation pops up that is intended to require all women over the age of 18 to register with Selective Service. As a father with a daughter, I don't want that to happen.
I don't think you'll ever have to worry about that. I don't think it will be the norm. Like anything else that is new, this will be popular only temporarily.

I've never been in the service, but my father has. From time to time, he will talk about the Korean war, but never brings up battle or killing the enemy. I know that he did, but he will never talk about it.

What he did say one time is that watching somebody getting killed in a movie and killing somebody is two different things. it's a feeling that you never forget--especially the first time. Not all people are capable of dealing with that. Now we have the highest suicide rate among vets than we ever had.

I think women are less capable of dealing with war than men in that respect. Women are much more emotional--especially with kids or young people. There are many men who can't deal with what they've seen in other countries. I also think that instinct takes over. It's natural for men to protect women and children, and I would think that this insertion of women in battle would take mens focus off of their job and detour their attention to the women in battle.

I don't know, again, never being there myself.

“bless the USA”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#23 Jan 24, 2013
Strawberry Zachary wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny, I just left a steaming pile of shit on a grave at arlington! Lots of piss, too.
I had you pegged from the start. Go to hell.
Julius Warm

Tempe, AZ

#24 Jan 24, 2013
I'm a gay teen and thinking of joining the millitary. I heard that since the ban was lifted, almost all of the soldiers came out and are openly gay. I heard now it's DO ask and DO tell. Is this true?
It makes sense, why would a straight male willingly enlist otherwise? It would be like joining jail lol. I never see soldiers around women, and if I do they look like closet gays. The dad in american beauty comes to mind.
Zachary, as a former marine, you are exactly right, and don't worry, as a gay male you will fit right in. I would estimate that 95% of all marines are homosexual. In fact, that's where I met my partner of over 20 years! Most of the soldiers who bunk together end up sharing the same bed, it's almost romantic. Being surrounded by only males, a brothership happens, which 9 times out of 10 evolves into a romance. I've found some (like "Kenhunt") put up a front, but as we all know, those are usually the most homosexual of them all. If I were a betting man, I'd say that Kenhunt has, and is currently sleeping with another man. If it quacks like a duck...
Best of luck to you Zachary, you are very brave, and no different that most marines.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#25 Jan 25, 2013
Eron wrote:
<quoted text>
The standard in the Army is already different between the genders. Its not a good barometer. A woman who maxes the female PT test in the Army is in no way in the sane physical condition as a male who maxes his test.
As an enlisted Infantry Soldier, we had female medics attached to us in Afghanistan. Not a good move, for them or us when speed and violence of action were the norm. They just couldn't hang through a 3-4 day mission.
The same thing happened a couple years later on my next deployment as a Field Artillery Officer, who's unit was asked to do a maneuver mission, again in Afghanistan, this time with even more female medics attached throughout the battalion.
And finally, while the lines of combat are blurred in the asymmetrical warfight and women have been killed maimed and even captured on the battlefield, the fact remains that as a nation we have never asked our daughters to go to war. Since we are now allowing then to take frontline positions its only a matter of time before the inevitable lawsuit or piece of legislation pops up that is intended to require all women over the age of 18 to register with Selective Service. As a father with a daughter, I don't want that to happen.
My heart goes out to you guys. But you do know you need the medics there, right? It's a terrible situation to be in. Do the medics(female) take that exam, the maxes as you said? If they do and they fall behind and can't keep up it'll be disasterous with women in the front line. No coordination will be able to be sustained long enough for success or retain ground? Am I somewhere in the ball park?

Good Grief man, please don't even think it. A draft for women? That would be insane! Not even the Spartans! I don't understand what's happening in the world. It is a matter of fact, a woman just can't do everything a man can and a man can't do everything a woman can period. Granted there are some exceptional women, definately, but not as many as people would like to think.

Location hidden

#26 Jan 25, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
I think women are less capable of dealing with war than men in that respect. Women are much more emotional--especially with kids or young people. There are many men who can't deal with what they've seen in other countries. and I would think that this insertion of women in battle would take mens focus off of their job and detour their attention to the women in battle.
I don't know, again, never being there myself.
I'm in the same boat with you. I don't know how they would handle it.

Thank you, finally someone said it. "I also think that instinct takes over. It's natural for men to protect women and children,..." I didn't want to touch this subject matter but this occurred to me as well.
It is very concerning.
bitsnpieces1

Gainesville, FL

#27 Jan 25, 2013
QuiteCrazy wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm in the same boat with you. I don't know how they would handle it.
Thank you, finally someone said it. "I also think that instinct takes over. It's natural for men to protect women and children,..." I didn't want to touch this subject matter but this occurred to me as well.
It is very concerning.
Google 'Nightwitches of Russia' and think about whether women can handle combat.

Location hidden

#28 Jan 25, 2013
bitsnpieces1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Google 'Nightwitches of Russia' and think about whether women can handle combat.
Looked it up, impressive aviators. I was thinking as ground combat. But thank you for the interesting point.
Kenhunt

United States

#29 Jan 25, 2013
Julius Warm wrote:
<quoted text>
Zachary, as a former marine, you are exactly right, and don't worry, as a gay male you will fit right in. I would estimate that 95% of all marines are homosexual. In fact, that's where I met my partner of over 20 years! Most of the soldiers who bunk together end up sharing the same bed, it's almost romantic. Being surrounded by only males, a brothership happens, which 9 times out of 10 evolves into a romance. I've found some (like "Kenhunt") put up a front, but as we all know, those are usually the most homosexual of them all. If I were a betting man, I'd say that Kenhunt has, and is currently sleeping with another man. If it quacks like a duck...
Best of luck to you Zachary, you are very brave, and no different that most marines.
You make a good point, Julius. The reason I don't want women in the millitary is because I don't want them anywhere!

Especially in my bed! I'm taking this time to come out of the closet, and let everyone know I'm as gay as I act!
Julius Warm

Tempe, AZ

#30 Jan 25, 2013
I've got a joke:
What's the difference between Fort Bragg and a gay bar???????
The lighting!
Strawberry Zachary

United States

#31 Jan 25, 2013
If that's true I can't wait! I always wondered about the shiny shoes, neat uniforms and pushups!

Most straight guys don't even tie their sneakers or tuck in their shirts lol. You'd think these guys would want women there, but nooooo they obv can't stand them.

I knew the whole macho thing was all an act, like Bush pretending he believes in God.
Rakk

Galloway, OH

#32 Jan 25, 2013
If that's true I can't wait! I always wondered about the shiny shoes, neat uniforms and pushups!

Most straight guys don't even tie their sneakers or tuck in their shirts lol. You'd think these guys would want women there, but nooooo they obv can't stand them.

I knew the whole macho thing was all an act, like Bush pretending he believes in God.
Our military and its members should not be talked about as a joke! There is pride and sacrifice that goes with wearing a uniform and it should be honored as such!
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#33 Jan 25, 2013
Rakk wrote:
<quoted text>
Our military and its members should not be talked about as a joke! There is pride and sacrifice that goes with wearing a uniform and it should be honored as such!
Gay people think that because they're F'd up, everybody must be F'd up. It gives them comfort.

Location hidden

#34 Jan 26, 2013
Oh wow... you guys are messed up!
Kenhunt

United States

#35 Jan 26, 2013
Our millitary are has bigger pussies than pam anderson. Dumb rednecks with no direction in life so they sign up to be bullet catchers and land mine detonators.

What's the difference between a member of the US millitary and a tiger?

One is the biggest pussee in the world, the other is orange and black.
KenHunt

Tempe, AZ

#36 Jan 26, 2013
Kenhunt wrote:
Our millitary are has bigger pussies than pam anderson. Dumb rednecks with no direction in life so they sign up to be bullet catchers and land mine detonators.
....and the tiger can survive the jungle!!!!!!!!!!
Rakk

Galloway, OH

#37 Jan 26, 2013
Kenhunt wrote:

That's a very ignorant comment!

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#38 Jan 26, 2013
This will give Janet Napolitano a whole new class of people to label as terrorists.
Menhunt

Tempe, AZ

#39 Jan 27, 2013
Q: What has 100 eyes, 50 heads, 50 tiny penises, no guts, and no brains?????
A: 50 marine!
Menhunt

Tempe, AZ

#40 Jan 27, 2013
Q: Why did the marine cross the road?
A: To run from the other troops!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US House of Representatives Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 min ImPeach 287,418
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 4 min ImPeach 26,250
News Trump bans transgender people from military 10 min TomInElPaso 341
News Rural America Braces for Labor Shortages After ... 12 min HOLLA ISABELLA 50
News Arpaio pardon would refute key theme in immigra... 14 min EMMETT TILL 23
News Alabamaa s voters, divided over Trumpa s remark... 28 min Rev Cash Dollar 20
News Trump claims witch hunt, says he's most hounded... 32 min Maria 1,593
More from around the web