Hawaii judge upholds state's new gay ...

Hawaii judge upholds state's new gay marriage law

There are 49 comments on the Northern Michigan News story from Nov 14, 2013, titled Hawaii judge upholds state's new gay marriage law. In it, Northern Michigan News reports that:

A Hawaii judge on Thursday ruled the state's brand new gay marriage law is legal, despite a challenge saying voters thought they barred same-sex marriage 15 years ago in the state constitution.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Northern Michigan News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Nov 14, 2013
Completely predictable, but still gratifying.

Thank you, Your Honor.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#2 Nov 14, 2013
good on you, Hawaii!

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#3 Nov 14, 2013
lol...That'll teach the idiots to think what's in a constitution has any validity...how stupid can someone be to think a constitutional law would be held as legal and binding according to that's state's law, imbeciles never learn.....

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#4 Nov 14, 2013
Well that was resolved a lot quicker than I expected.

Congrats to all the happy couples on your pending nuptials.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#5 Nov 14, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
lol...That'll teach the idiots to think what's in a constitution has any validity...how stupid can someone be to think a constitutional law would be held as legal and binding according to that's state's law, imbeciles never learn.....
Of course, the 1998 amendment did NOT restrict the legislature from ever allowing gay couples to marry, so your comments here are a bit odd.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#6 Nov 14, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
The issue is that a SSM ban was never enacted. Hawaii never made marriage one man one woman in it's State Constitution.

They did pass an amendment that gave the legislature the power to define marriage as one man one woman.

The legislature rightfully passed a law granting marriage equality instead.
Rick not in Kansas yet

Salina, KS

#7 Nov 14, 2013
What amazes me is that these folk actually believed that what they actually wrote, meant what they thought it did. It says that the Legislature has been empowered to prohibit same sex marriages, not that same sex marriages have been prohibited. Didn't anyone read it? I read an article laying out what the sponsors thought they were doing at the time, they've been confused since the get go. Any word on an appeal?
Cordwainer Trout

Elk Horn, KY

#8 Nov 14, 2013
Bypassing the will of the people will come back to haunt the Democrats. The result will be a reckoning eradicating them from the Legislature and Governorship. The Judge has thumbed his nose at the people. The people will not forget this travesty.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#9 Nov 14, 2013
Cordwainer Trout wrote:
Bypassing the will of the people will come back to haunt the Democrats. The result will be a reckoning eradicating them from the Legislature and Governorship. The Judge has thumbed his nose at the people. The people will not forget this travesty.
What was violated?

They said the legislature COULD ban SSM not that it had to.

Try understanding what was voted on!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#10 Nov 14, 2013
Cordwainer Trout wrote:
The amendment reads: "The legislature shall have the power to reserve marriage to opposite-sex couples.

"McDermott's lawyer Jack Dwyer argued voters were told that phrasing meant they were voting against gay marriage.

"All you have to do is determine what the intent of the people was," Dwyer said.

DNF asks corntrout:
So you're upset NOM lied to you about what the law actually did? That you refused to listen when so many gay and lesbian groups pointed out over and over to any reporter who would listen that the law DID NOT ban SSM?

TOO FUNNY!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#11 Nov 14, 2013
Rick not in Kansas yet wrote:
What amazes me is that these folk actually believed that what they actually wrote, meant what they thought it did. It says that the Legislature has been empowered to prohibit same sex marriages, not that same sex marriages have been prohibited. Didn't anyone read it? I read an article laying out what the sponsors thought they were doing at the time, they've been confused since the get go. Any word on an appeal?
I doubt an appeal will be granted.

Stupidity isn't illegal.
Rick not in Kansas yet

Salina, KS

#12 Nov 14, 2013
Cordwainer Trout wrote:
So you say. You do realize that we've heard this day of reckoning prophesying before from you and your ilk before. Like EVERY time equality has been recognized. How's that actually worked for y'all? You do know that other than taking out a few turncoat Republicans and three Iowa Supreme Court Justices (leaving the other SIX that ruled agin y'all), you've lost. Not one state where it was enacted by the Legislature has it been reconsidered and nowhere where it has been mandated by the Courts has it been overturned. May I suggest waiting quietly in a corner while our nation evolves for the better without you?
Rick not in Kansas yet

Salina, KS

#13 Nov 14, 2013
DNF wrote:
I doubt an appeal will be granted.
Stupidity isn't illegal.
Given how badly the first round went, I wouldn't lay any money on their future success. I was just curious as to how much of a glutton for punishment they were going to be here.
Alec Baldwin

Beckley, WV

#14 Nov 15, 2013
As far as gay marriage is concerned, here is how I feel about it, and I have an MSNBC show, " ""c**ksucking f*g.", So there, you homosexuals know how us liberals really feel about you gays.
Alec Baldwin

Beckley, WV

#15 Nov 15, 2013
Alec Baldwin wrote:
As far as gay marriage is concerned, here is how I feel about it, and I have an MSNBC show, " ""c**ksucking f*g.", So there, you homosexuals know how us liberals really feel about you gays.
Why am I getting so many negative judgements? That is my true, liberal feelings. I cannot help myself. If I where to change what I am, I would be a hypocrite, a liberal in other words.

Location hidden

#16 Nov 15, 2013
Cordwainer Trout wrote:
Bypassing the will of the people will come back to haunt the Democrats..
Based on the polls, over half of the people in that state currently support legalizing same sex marriage.

You seem to be forgetting them.

And their numbers continue to rise with every poll.

Location hidden

#17 Nov 15, 2013
Alec Baldwin wrote:
So, by you pretending to be an idiot entertainer, you think that all gay folks should now hate "liberals"?

Is this supposed to be logical?9094
Alec Baldwin

Beckley, WV

#18 Nov 15, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
So, by you pretending to be an idiot entertainer, you think that all gay folks should now hate "liberals"?
Is this supposed to be logical?9094
I am a highly paid and well thought of celebrity, You should bow to what ever I say. And I think gays are deviants. Period.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#19 Nov 15, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
Never actually READ the text of the Amendment, have ya?
Gay-American Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#20 Nov 15, 2013
Cordwainer Trout wrote:
For equality sake; we should vote on straight people's marriages too

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US House of Representatives Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Donald Trump breaks with nation's only Latina g... 3 min woodtick57 188
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 15 min AMERICAN SUNSHINE 225,218
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 38 min Blitzking 197,587
News House takes action against Confederate flag, a ... 56 min crucifiedguy 342
News Legal settlements at Veterans Affairs more than... 1 hr SirPrize 1
News Dueling groups to rally at Confederate landmark 3 hr Don Barros Serrano 1,545
News Oklahoma lawmakers OK bill criminalizing perfor... 3 hr Go Blue Forever 97
More from around the web