Indiana GOP keeps marriage definition...

Indiana GOP keeps marriage definition as 'between a man and a woman' in platform

There are 96 comments on the Washington Times story from Jun 10, 2018, titled Indiana GOP keeps marriage definition as 'between a man and a woman' in platform. In it, Washington Times reports that:

EVANSVILLE, Ind. - Indiana Republican Party activists overwhelmingly voted Saturday to reaffirm language first inserted in their platform when Vice President Mike Pence was governor that defines marriage as a union "between a man and a woman."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Washington Times.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
mr gleeble

Columbus, OH

#1 Jun 10, 2018
Shows that their past as the KKK home state hasn't really changed, and that Pence really does represent a lot of them. The Mississippi of the midwest....

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#2 Jun 10, 2018
mr gleeble wrote:
Shows that their past as the KKK home state hasn't really changed, and that Pence really does represent a lot of them. The Mississippi of the midwest....
The KKK started in Pulaski, Tenn, on Dec 24, 1865.
If you're going to criticize something at least get your facts right.
Talibangelicals

Lexington, KY

#3 Jun 10, 2018
I'm surprised they didn't add, "...and a woman's place is in the kitchen. And blacks should have their own separate towns and stick to themselves."

Also, if they're going to use the Bible, how about banning interest rates, as that's mentioned more times in the Bible than homosexuality?

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#4 Jun 10, 2018
If any two adults want to live together, why the hell is it the governments business?
Limiting marriage to man and woman is not morality, it is bigotry.
Annie Oakly

Wilmington, IL

#5 Jun 10, 2018
I guess you don't believe in State's Rights. Indiana is a traditional state that believes in the bible teachings. In the bible marriage is defined as between a man, and a woman. If that is their belief who are you, an outsider, to decide differently. If you don't like it don't spend your money there. Don't even drive through there. I assure you they will not miss your business.
lol

Evansville, IN

#6 Jun 10, 2018
And yet idiots can't even define woman, and include men in that definition.

Also, these people pushing this are ignorant hateful homophobic twits hiding behind the issue of state rights.

Location hidden

#7 Jun 10, 2018
Annie Oakly wrote:
I guess you don't believe in State's Rights. Indiana is a traditional state that believes in the bible teachings. In the bible marriage is defined as between a man, and a woman. If that is their belief who are you, an outsider, to decide differently. If you don't like it don't spend your money there. Don't even drive through there. I assure you they will not miss your business.
Bible shmible. That edict is far from the Bible's only stupidity.

Tell me why so many of you bible thumpers have to be bigots.
Annie Oakly

Wilmington, IL

#8 Jun 10, 2018
Tell me why so many of you are intolerant of the first amendment that gives Americans Freedom of Religion. Last time I checked your name wasn't in my Bible. Nor are you in any Church I know of. That's alright. The same first amendment guarantees you the right not to have a religion, and I love that too.
Kasick of Pancakes

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Jun 10, 2018
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
If any two adults want to live together, why the hell is it the governments business?
That is the most mindless, self refuting argument in favor of marriage equality I have ever read. You're an idiot.

It's not about "living together," moron. It's about marriage. That involves government benefits and also legal responsibilities. It is the government's business on that basis, obviously.

The government has a legitimate interest in the marrying (and maybe even in the living together) of lots of possible adult couples. Different states have different rules on types of cousins marrying, for example. Perhaps now you can think of other such examples which make nonsense of your stupid, unhelpful declaration.
Talibangelicals

Lexington, KY

#10 Jun 10, 2018
Annie Oakly wrote:
Tell me why so many of you are intolerant of the first amendment that gives Americans Freedom of Religion. Last time I checked your name wasn't in my Bible. Nor are you in any Church I know of. That's alright. The same first amendment guarantees you the right not to have a religion, and I love that too.
Freedom of Religion does not equal "my religion dictates everyone else's behavior."
Seriously, you are confusing what Freedom of Religion means. It should not mean that one religion--or any--religion is used as a basis for law. You are more than welcome to believe and practice whatever religion you want. And so am I. But no one is supposed to be allowed to use it to enact laws.

Also, are you female? Because if so, based on the Bible, you need to keep quiet: "12 But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet. 13For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve. 14 And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression." 1 Timothy 2:12-14

Or are we only to use the Bible laws that fit your worldview?
Kasick of Pancakes

Philadelphia, PA

#11 Jun 10, 2018
Annie Oakly wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me why so many of you are intolerant of the first amendment that gives Americans Freedom of Religion
Hey cretin, not everyone's religion crows how marriage has to be between one man and one woman. By enshrining that particular view in a government policy or in a Party Platform document all those other religious beliefs are being treated as less than compared to your fundie / right wing type of xstain belief.

You stupid, filthy, ignorant bigot.
Kasick of Pancakes

Philadelphia, PA

#12 Jun 10, 2018
In honor of Dan Quayle:

Indiana - The Rectal Tear State.

Backwards, alright. Just as in Mike Pence's "rumored" tearoom incident on I 95 that has been covered up...if it did happen...was "backwards."

Location hidden

#13 Jun 10, 2018
Annie Oakly wrote:
I'm not sure what you think freedom of religion grants you. To me, it means that you are allowed to practice your religion as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others.

On the issue of same-sex marriage, it is now legal in this country. Any religious pretext to ban it is most clearly infringing on the rights of others.
Annie Oakly

Wilmington, IL

#14 Jun 10, 2018
Freedom of Religion means I can attend the Church of my choice, and if it teaches marriage is between a man, and a woman, and I agree I can then vote that way in an election. You cannot tell someone else how to vote, or what to believe. I happen to believe marriage is between to people who love each other, period. So I might vote differently, but if the others have more votes it becomes state law.
Kasick of Pancakes

Philadelphia, PA

#15 Jun 10, 2018
Annie Oakly wrote:
<quoted text>
and if it teaches marriage is between a man, and a woman
Not all religions teach that, bigot. Nor do most Christians in the West believe that. You don't get to impose your version of bigoted, ignorant xstainity on society at large in the legal system - not regarding marriage, not regarding anti discrimination laws, not even in your making the "wages of sin" be death for those who take the lawd's name in vain...as your religion says to.
Kasick of Pancakes

Philadelphia, PA

#16 Jun 10, 2018
Annie Oakly wrote:
<quoted text>
if it teaches marriage is between a man, and a woman, and I agree I can then vote that way in an election
The Supreme Court has said psychosexually ignorant rubes like you cannot vote that belief into law. That's the whole idea of Obergefell, moron. Why don't you one day learn something about the country you're living in?
Wakeup

United States

#17 Jun 10, 2018
The only thing the government did by passing the law same sex marriages was corrupted the Nation even more than what it was you people don't understand it has already been written foretold the Bible is the laws of gravity .you're ending the world .
You're bringing the Apocalypse .The war
Between love and hate . God hates our sins .
He is growing tired of dealing with fallen ones .the fallen are each and everyone of us living as humans on earth .
Kasick of Pancakes

Philadelphia, PA

#18 Jun 10, 2018
Wakeup wrote:
<quoted text>
corrupted the Nation even more than what it was you people don't understand it has already been written foretold the Bible
We don't live in a theocracy of any sort, let along a dominionist fundie one. Your "religious" notions don't trump those of other religions or those of no religion. Why don't you one day learn something about the country you live in?
Annie Oakly

Wilmington, IL

#19 Jun 10, 2018
Oops. This whole thing has nothing to do with law. It is in the Republican platform. I guess if people agree they can vote Republican, but it isn't law. I misread the Headline. And if they disagree they can vote Democrat.
Wakeup

United States

#20 Jun 10, 2018
Kasick of Pancakes wrote:
<quoted text>

We don't live in a theocracy of any sort, let along a dominionist fundie one. Your "religious" notions don't trump those of other religions or those of no religion. Why don't you one day learn something about the country you live in?
People will never learn until they breathe their last breath then its too late wait for it .The penalty is unfair it is what it is and gods laws will not change. Truly is sad .oh well live and let live don't scream for god when you're beneath the earth his back will be turned away and his hand will be withheld from you're reach .Like a stone he will not hear you .The trials of tears will run like a red river flooding the earth . wait for it just wait .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US House of Representatives Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump says many candidates are vying for chief ... 5 min Conservative Cavers 4
News Donald Trump says US military to build border w... 7 min Conservative Cavers 166
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 10 min Dogen 225,525
News Houses of worship helping solve foster care cri... 11 min Mr president pump... 15
News Trump threatens gov't shutdown in heated meetin... 23 min Tersh 4
News Lawmakers call Trump's performance 'bizarre,' '... 24 min TheJerseyDevil 2,335
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 27 min Liberal and proud... 121,019