Obama and Romney prepare for debate s...

Obama and Romney prepare for debate showdown - US politics live

There are 221 comments on the Guardian Unlimited story from Oct 1, 2012, titled Obama and Romney prepare for debate showdown - US politics live. In it, Guardian Unlimited reports that:

Mitt Romney spent the weekend in debate rehearsal and has memorized a set of 'zingers' according to his staff.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Guardian Unlimited.

Don Joe

Saint Paul, MN

#221 Oct 4, 2012
Lakesuckless1961 wrote:
<quoted text>Dave Axelfraud is at the ER getting his azz patched up after BO ripped him a new one for the poor prep! Romney is the new Sheriff and the entitlements have been ordered to get out of town.
That's right. All those moochers on Social Security will have to make it on their own. Why should we let them have some of their money back. The rich have it now and they aren't going to give it back.
CBOW

Abbottstown, PA

#222 Oct 4, 2012
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
To any of you who expect Mitt Romney to win any debate with Barack Obama, you probably also expect Chris Christie to become CEO of Weight Watchers.
WOOF WOOF. He WON!!!!!!!!!
CBOW

Abbottstown, PA

#223 Oct 4, 2012
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
That's right. All those moochers on Social Security will have to make it on their own. Why should we let them have some of their money back. The rich have it now and they aren't going to give it back.
You do realize that a large percentage of SS recipients never paid a dime into it, right?

“Hillary, thirty years of lying”

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#224 Oct 4, 2012
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you realize how stupid your lie sounds..........you must have helped lurch prep Obama for the debate.

Paris

#225 Oct 4, 2012
CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize that a large percentage of SS recipients never paid a dime into it, right?
Si........Ya.......Oui........ Da

Paris

#226 Oct 4, 2012
CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
WOOF WOOF. He WON!!!!!!!!!
Denver, Colorado (CNN)– Two-thirds of people who watched the first presidential debate think that Republican nominee Mitt Romney won the showdown, according to a nationwide poll conducted Wednesday night.

According to a CNN/ORC International survey conducted right after the debate, 67% of debate watchers questioned said that the Republican nominee won the faceoff, with one in four (25%)saying that President Barack Obama was victorious.

"No presidential candidate has topped 60% in that question since it was first asked in 1984," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.
While nearly half of debate watchers said the showdown didn't make them more likely to vote for either candidate, 35% said the debate made them more likely to vote for Romney while only 18% said the faceoff made them more likely to vote to re-elect the president.

More than six in ten (60%) said that president did worse than expected, with one in five (20%) saying that Obama performed better than expected. Compare that to the 82% who said that Romney performed better than expected. Only one in ten felt that the former Massachusetts governor performed worse than expected.

The sample of debate-watchers in the poll was 37% Democratic and 33% Republican. Sound Familiar.
"That indicates that the sample of debate watchers is about four points more Democratic and about eight points more Republican than an average CNN poll of all Americans, which shows their bias. Makes you wonder where the independents……..were.

The poll suggests that the debate didn't change opinions of the president. Forty-nine percent of debate watchers said before the debate that they had a favorable opinion of Obama, and that number didn't change following the debate.
(damage control)

It was pretty much a similar story for Romney, whose favorable rating among debate watchers edged up just two points, from 54% before the debate to 56% after the debate.

The economy dominated the first debate and according to the poll, and by a 55%-43% margin, debate watchers said that Romney rather than Obama would better handle the economy. On the issue of taxes, which kicked off the debate, Romney had a 53%-44% edge over Obama. And by a 52%-47% margin, debate watchers said Romney would better handle health care, and he had the edge on the budget deficit by a 57%-41% margin.

Debate watchers thought Romney was more aggressive. Fifty-three percent said Romney spent more time attacking his opponent. Only three in ten thought Obama spent more time taking it to Romney.

By a 58%-37% margin, debate watchers thought Romney appeared to be the stronger leader.
conservative crapola

Easton, PA

#227 Oct 4, 2012
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Poll: Hispanics in Florida favor President Barack Obama over Mitt Romney, 61-31

hahahahahahahahahahaha
CBOW

Abbottstown, PA

#228 Oct 4, 2012
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>Denver, Colorado (CNN)– Two-thirds of people who watched the first presidential debate think that Republican nominee Mitt Romney won the showdown, according to a nationwide poll conducted Wednesday night.
According to a CNN/ORC International survey conducted right after the debate, 67% of debate watchers questioned said that the Republican nominee won the faceoff, with one in four (25%)saying that President Barack Obama was victorious.
"No presidential candidate has topped 60% in that question since it was first asked in 1984," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.
While nearly half of debate watchers said the showdown didn't make them more likely to vote for either candidate, 35% said the debate made them more likely to vote for Romney while only 18% said the faceoff made them more likely to vote to re-elect the president.
More than six in ten (60%) said that president did worse than expected, with one in five (20%) saying that Obama performed better than expected. Compare that to the 82% who said that Romney performed better than expected. Only one in ten felt that the former Massachusetts governor performed worse than expected.
The sample of debate-watchers in the poll was 37% Democratic and 33% Republican. Sound Familiar.
"That indicates that the sample of debate watchers is about four points more Democratic and about eight points more Republican than an average CNN poll of all Americans, which shows their bias. Makes you wonder where the independents……..were.
The poll suggests that the debate didn't change opinions of the president. Forty-nine percent of debate watchers said before the debate that they had a favorable opinion of Obama, and that number didn't change following the debate.
(damage control)
It was pretty much a similar story for Romney, whose favorable rating among debate watchers edged up just two points, from 54% before the debate to 56% after the debate.
The economy dominated the first debate and according to the poll, and by a 55%-43% margin, debate watchers said that Romney rather than Obama would better handle the economy. On the issue of taxes, which kicked off the debate, Romney had a 53%-44% edge over Obama. And by a 52%-47% margin, debate watchers said Romney would better handle health care, and he had the edge on the budget deficit by a 57%-41% margin.
Debate watchers thought Romney was more aggressive. Fifty-three percent said Romney spent more time attacking his opponent. Only three in ten thought Obama spent more time taking it to Romney.
By a 58%-37% margin, debate watchers thought Romney appeared to be the stronger leader.
Romney is strong, business minded and so is Ryan. They will make a great team to lead this country out of the reign of terror. Thanks for the breakdown of percentages. I didn't realize the margins were that much in Romney's favor. I have spoken to many folks who fear for Odumbo's re-election. I tell them that we are a silent majority, just get out and vote. Hopefully it's enough.
Cat74

Westmont, IL

#230 Oct 4, 2012
Romney will probably treat the seniors better then the Democrats that already cut over $700,000. from Medicare. When Romney brought that up last night Obama didn't even try to pretend it wasn't true.
CBOW

Abbottstown, PA

#231 Oct 4, 2012
Cat74 wrote:
Romney will probably treat the seniors better then the Democrats that already cut over $700,000. from Medicare. When Romney brought that up last night Obama didn't even try to pretend it wasn't true.
The dumbocraps always try to terrorize seniors with "evil Republicans will strip your SS". The truth is, it's the dems that have pillaged the Social security system to fund other programs. "Welfare reform".......
Cat74

Westmont, IL

#232 Oct 4, 2012
Turns out Obama was only pretending to be stupid. He has big plans for the next debate. He will be tough. Can you hardly wait? What do you want to bet Romney will be tougher. That boy can't win for losing!!!

Paris

#233 Oct 4, 2012
conservative crapola wrote:
<quoted text>
hahahahahahahahahahaha
What's that North Miami

Obama campaign conducts damage control in wake of debate

Freshly loaded with new script and teleprompter Obama hits the road and Romney with blows that you thought would have came last night, instead of the meek, timid, downward looking Obama’s performance.

Vowing to “I’ll get him next time” he jumped right back into the lies Romney proved him wrong on last night. I guess it’s easier to attack when Romney isn’t facing him. Maybe all the looking down was submission.

CNN Poll shows by a wide margin those polled thought Romney looked more the leader and Presidential.
ManBearPig

New Milford, NJ

#234 Oct 4, 2012
Let's face it, the toughest question Obama has fielded in the last 4 years has been, "if you could have any superpower, what would it be"?. The media has tossed underhanded questions to this president for his entire first term and we are supposed to be surprised when Romney wipes the floor with his policies and puts his failed record under the spotlight?

"The truth of the matter is this... uhhh, ah, uhhh" there was only one true executive on stage last night.
Lakesuckless1961

Belle Vernon, PA

#235 Oct 4, 2012
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I was not aware that you OWS scum are collecting SS.
Don Joe

Saint Paul, MN

#236 Oct 5, 2012
CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
?? Pretty hard to believe. I have been paying in for almost 50 years. Everyone I know has been paying in. Where do you get that a large percentage don't pay? Does that come straight from the Koch brothers, or Rupert?

What about those who have no jobs? If you don't pay you don't receive. I recently received my statement from SS telling me, based on how much I paid in, how much I could expect to receive (of course unless the law changes, which is what Romney wants to do).
CBOW

Abbottstown, PA

#237 Oct 5, 2012
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
?? Pretty hard to believe. I have been paying in for almost 50 years. Everyone I know has been paying in. Where do you get that a large percentage don't pay? Does that come straight from the Koch brothers, or Rupert?
What about those who have no jobs? If you don't pay you don't receive. I recently received my statement from SS telling me, based on how much I paid in, how much I could expect to receive (of course unless the law changes, which is what Romney wants to do).
Under Bill Clinton, the welfare reform act moved career welfare recipients to SS. That way they didn't fall under the criteria of the "welfare to work" section. These individuals are then capable of transferring their SS collections to their children, regardless of their age. I know because my brother is a social worker. I received my SS documents a few weeks ago. my "contributions" equal $190,000.00. I won't live long enough to receive all of it back at $1,400.00 a month. The laws regarding SS DO need to be changed from what they are now, don't you think? Do you enjoy having a program you paid into being the "piggy bank" for politicians to dip into to fund their own re-election interests?

Paris

#238 Oct 5, 2012
Cat74 wrote:
Turns out Obama was only pretending to be stupid. He has big plans for the next debate. He will be tough. Can you hardly wait? What do you want to bet Romney will be tougher. That boy can't win for losing!!!
The next debate will be settled with who can throw a baseball the furthest. Obama ask if he could spke the football instead.

Paris

#239 Oct 5, 2012
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Does pushing lies you know are lies make you feel good or are you just the normal mental case liberal that can't get a GED.

Paris

#240 Oct 5, 2012
conservative crapola wrote:
<quoted text>
hahahahahahahahahahaha
POLL: ROMNEY PULLS AHEAD IN VIRGINIA...

Ohio: Romney leads 51-48 among those 'certain' to vote...

UK TELEGRAPH: Mainstream media spooked; liberal panic...Desperation.
Don Joe

Saint Paul, MN

#241 Oct 5, 2012
CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
Under Bill Clinton, the welfare reform act moved career welfare recipients to SS. That way they didn't fall under the criteria of the "welfare to work" section. These individuals are then capable of transferring their SS collections to their children, regardless of their age. I know because my brother is a social worker. I received my SS documents a few weeks ago. my "contributions" equal $190,000.00. I won't live long enough to receive all of it back at $1,400.00 a month. The laws regarding SS DO need to be changed from what they are now, don't you think? Do you enjoy having a program you paid into being the "piggy bank" for politicians to dip into to fund their own re-election interests?
I don't know any career welfare recipients. I don't think I have ever met any. When you say they exist, I believe that they do, but not in gigantic numbers.

Besides it is solving the wrong problem. The problem as it presents itself, on its face is those career welfare recipients probably do not have job options. Lack of job options is the real problem. I would be happy to do mostly away with welfare (except for the disabled) if there were opportunities.

Consider if you will, Alan Greenspan's recent comments (a year or few ago). Greenspan was the head of the federal reserve bank, and he openly admitted his TOP priority was to put the brakes on the economy each and every time wages or benefits started to increase for workers. A result of this was that ALL of the benefit of increased productivity went to those at the top. Wages and benefits since this programs started have fallen, in spite of growth of the economy. Add to this policy, Reagan's stated policy that the government would not enforce laws against companies who hire illegals. This caused millions of illegals to enter the country, to work at very low wages and reduce wages for the rest of us. It is not the illegals fault, it is our own government working against us. Add to that the subsidies received by corporations who ship jobs overseas. Add to that the Free trade agreements which effectively remove the ability to manufacture in America.

These policies, combined have had the effect of flooding the labor market so that wages and benefits fall. Labor becomes lower costs for big corporations who can then funnel the extra profit into their own pockets. It is re-distribution of our wealth as a government policy.

So our own government has intentionally put people out of work, and therefore has some responsibility to them. I would leave welfare for people in place till the effects of those policies can be reversed. However, I would remove the bigger factor of welfare for corporations.

So the way I would change the welfare programs is by bringing back jobs; restoring opportunity. Let people have a chance and most of welfare for people would go away.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US House of Representatives Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 8 min Crow 256,533
News GOP at war with itself (Mar '16) 40 min Tm Cln 2,773
News Atlanta mayor to Trump: 'John Lewis an American... 2 hr No 119
News Envoy to UN Calls Russia Threat to US and World... 4 hr The Real Donald T... 21
News Pence sworn in as U.S. vice president 4 hr huntcoyotes 7
News GOP Rep Introduces National Concealed Carry Rec... 4 hr huntcoyotes 11
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 4 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 62,970
More from around the web