It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103340 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Guppy

Englewood, FL

#100255 Feb 16, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously have never been to the middle east where the woman are treated like possessions or cattle. The US doesn't even come close.
How do men really feel about women? Speak your mind.
Tray

Saltillo, MS

#100256 Feb 16, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind of like toilet paper. They have a use but not the same one twice. You don't need their advice on anything except how to cook cookies. The vast majority of advances in civilization was by men, the women just were along for the ride. The next time I need a place to wipe a bodily secretion I'll let you know till then get in the kitchen and make cookies.

Since: Feb 11

Cambridge, UK

#100257 Feb 16, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
With both hands ;-)

Cambridge, UK

#100258 Feb 16, 2013
Checkm8 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have seen men do the self same thing where they flirt with other women in front of their lady but a punch from a female(in most cases) vs a male is like a bike vs a car, not to mention it is about common sense and restraint.
My relationship with my long term partner sees us get into some rather loud verbal disagreements, but if I ever raised my hand in violence toward her it would erode he trust in me, I would hate to see fear in her face when she looks at me. there is also a possibility that she might use a scanpan on me when I am sleeping :D
In short none of the women you mentioned pushed those guys to do anything that wasn't already part of their nature.
I think there are some women and men with past trust issues for good reasons, both will push any potential new partner to try and detect their trustworthiness.
We can only control ourselves so we never raise our hand to any female no matter what the reason, you can ALWAYS walk away, unless she is holding you there at gunpoint.
I agree with you to a point.

WE CAN ONLY CONTROL OURSELVES SO WE NEVER RAISE OUR HAND TO ANY FEMALE NO MATTER WHAT THE REASON.

My feeling regarding that statement is this,,,

If I caught some female weirdo ( although rare there are some out there) with my grand children, I would have NO problem raising my hand,,,if that is all I did she would be getting of light.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#100259 Feb 16, 2013
Levi wrote:
<quoted text>You're absolutely correct. And yes, we, the usofa, does need some form of gun control, within limits. We gun holders arent against that at all, but we know, once you give a government the right to take away certain rights, where will it stop? Answer--it wont stop, not until ALL your rights are cut away, little by little, slowly, and quietly. Thats all we gun owners have a problem with.
And that poster we are talking about, well, I think its pretty obvious why she/it/he wont respond, lmao.
How are you doing sairla, I love that name. It almost sounds indian (native american).
It is good to see someone with common sense rationalise the use of guns by acknowledging some change to limiting guns available to people who have some sort of mental issues or who are on medication or have bought from other sellers in bulk and are selling them on? There are some gaping holes in the system that have seen discrepancies, so the last thing anyone needs is more laws if the existing laws are failing or need altering to be more effective, too many wrong laws and not a few efficient laws just bogs down the beaurecratic process, and leads to those being effected by those laws becoming frustrated, so there is a need to find a delicate workable balance.

Location hidden

#100261 Feb 16, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
WE CAN ONLY CONTROL OURSELVES SO WE NEVER RAISE OUR HAND TO ANY FEMALE NO MATTER WHAT THE REASON.
If I caught some female weirdo ( although rare there are some out there) with my grand children, I would have NO problem raising my hand,,,if that is all I did she would be getting of light.
If anyone harmed a child/grandchild etc it would bring out the beast in most of us, but as you say this is almost never a female crime, though there have been times when they have been an accomplice(to a male perpetrator) so I think the female of our species is relatively safe there.
Guppy

Englewood, FL

#100262 Feb 16, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Kind of like toilet paper. They have a use but not the same one twice. You don't need their advice on anything except how to cook cookies. The vast majority of advances in civilization was by men, the women just were along for the ride. The next time I need a place to wipe a bodily secretion I'll let you know till then get in the kitchen and make cookies.
How much do you want to bet that you Adore women? I'm getting that vibe.

Men/advances/civilization? Absolutely. They're awesome.

Cookies? How about the kind you buy from the refrigerated section and you put them in the oven to bake. That's about my speed? Oh, have you had Otis Spunklemeyer? spelling? Really good. Could eat 50 of them. They also go in the oven cold.

Anyway, yeah. You like women.
Guppy

Englewood, FL

#100263 Feb 16, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
With both hands ;-)
Very funny. Keeping mum about the answer?
Guppy

Englewood, FL

#100264 Feb 16, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Spider has grandchildren? I didn't know that. Aww, lucky you! How old are they?

Remember the red-headed guy from Penn State who saw the creep with the young boy in the showers? He did nothing. If that had been his son, do you think he would have beaten the guy to a pulp? Yep.

Location hidden

#100265 Feb 16, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously have never been to the middle east where the woman are treated like possessions or cattle. The US doesn't even come close.
Hi Vet, sorry to interject again but the archaic rituals of some middle eastern countries is used as an excuse for the abuse of women the world over. Rape, murder, physical and emotion abuse of women is a crime of the western world too.
Men still see women as second class citizens whereby they need the protection of men from men. A beheading in a public place or death by firing squad for adultery is no worse than seeing a woman beaten, shot or having her throat cut in front of her children by a man and these are all crimes committed on women in a so called civilised world. The law (restraints) cannot prevent a man with control or anger issues pursuing and murdering his wife, her family children and work colleagues which has been proven throughout places like Australia, England, America etc. Men need to address the problems women face in their own backyard instead of trying to justify their treatment in the western world as opposed to the Middle East. It is strong and brave women who have fought and gained their freedoms in the western world (though there is still such a long way to go) and it will be women that will gain there freedoms in countries with archaic traditions. We need to support that fight "if we" truly believe women deserve better treatment by men then it should start at home with the violence they face here, don't you agree?
Guppy

Englewood, FL

#100266 Feb 16, 2013
So this Oscar guy with the bionic legs shot this girl he barely knew, then proceeded to cry about it.

What a horrible place to live. Guards etc. How could you relax when you don't even know if the paid guards are going to turn on you.

Sad/Sigh.

Ely, UK

#100269 Feb 16, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Very funny. Keeping mum about the answer?
I extend the same courtesy to all people as I would expect from them, regardless of their sex. Anything else is like apples and oranges.

Ely, UK

#100270 Feb 16, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Spider has grandchildren? I didn't know that. Aww, lucky you! How old are they?
Remember the red-headed guy from Penn State who saw the creep with the young boy in the showers? He did nothing. If that had been his son, do you think he would have beaten the guy to a pulp? Yep.
What red-headed guy ? Did it make big news or something ? what are you talking about ?

Ely, UK

#100271 Feb 16, 2013
Guppy wrote:
So this Oscar guy with the bionic legs shot this girl he barely knew, then proceeded to cry about it.
What a horrible place to live. Guards etc. How could you relax when you don't even know if the paid guards are going to turn on you.
Sad/Sigh.
I saw the news a couple of hours back, his uncle has put out a statement saying they intend to fight the charge of premeditated murder,,, I guess that means it's ok to murder someone providing you can prove you didn't have a plan.
Erik Holderr

Hampton, VA

#100272 Feb 16, 2013
Dear Mexican Drug Cartel,

You need them and I supply them.

Ely, UK

#100273 Feb 16, 2013
Checkm8 wrote:
<quoted text>
If anyone harmed a child/grandchild etc it would bring out the beast in most of us, but as you say this is almost never a female crime, though there have been times when they have been an accomplice(to a male perpetrator) so I think the female of our species is relatively safe there.
Have you ever heard of the moors murders ?

Myra Hindley admitted she was more culpable than Ian Brady. It is unlikely the true extent of their wicked evil crimes will ever be revealed.

Ely, UK

#100274 Feb 16, 2013
Erik Holderr wrote:
Dear Mexican Drug Cartel,
You need them and I supply them.
Green cards ?
Guppy

Englewood, FL

#100275 Feb 16, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
What red-headed guy ? Did it make big news or something ? what are you talking about ?
Sorry, I keep forgetting you live in England.

It was big news here, but I don't think you would be interested.
Guppy

Englewood, FL

#100276 Feb 16, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw the news a couple of hours back, his uncle has put out a statement saying they intend to fight the charge of premeditated murder,,, I guess that means it's ok to murder someone providing you can prove you didn't have a plan.
Interesting, isn't it?

Location hidden

#100277 Feb 16, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever heard of the moors murders ?
Myra Hindley admitted she was more culpable than Ian Brady. It is unlikely the true extent of their wicked evil crimes will ever be revealed.
Of course, there was a also case of two women killing one of their mothers in New Zealand and two women killing a girl in Australia, there was also the murder of a man that involved drinking his blood which again was committed by two women. I wasn't saying it doesn't happen, simply that it is a very rare occurrance for women to initiate violence or murder and even less likely that they are involved in sex crimes against children.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US House of Representatives Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 6 min Crow__ 193,529
News Things to know: EPA water rules take effect in ... 1 hr Michelle has a cock 8
News Planned Parenthood alleges 'smear' in letter to... 2 hr Your Ex 23
News Ike Memorial Gets Another Critic 2 hr Cordwainer Trout 3
News 4 GOP candidates sign anti-gay marriage pledge 2 hr Real Lover 197
News Planned Parenthood seeks fed study of fetal tis... 2 hr goonsquad 708
News Obama says New Orleans is 'moving forward' afte... 4 hr goonsquad 18
More from around the web