It's the Guns, Stupid

Apr 20, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Truthdig

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Comments (Page 3,709)

Showing posts 74,161 - 74,180 of103,242
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Feb 11

Soham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha! We had a British sergeant major when I was in. Tough as nails. The Royal Marines apparently aren't so much. LOL
If you look inside a parra you will find at least five marines there.

Soham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Before you get too prideful, you should know that it is the British bankers who RUN the U.S., and such has been the case for longer than you'd care know about.
I'm not trying to diss you, rather what I'm pointing out is something not many Americans even guess about.
The multinational bankers like it that they can effectively pull your strings, and you won't even know who's doing the pulling.
Ohhh,,,you've gone and done it now.

Soham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
And before you get too stuck into your crazy conspiracy theories how about some evidence yourself there Doc....you are getting more delusional with every post so it would be nice to see some of that actually backed up with anything other than your mouth...I found nothing to support your theories except well, nothing, so let's see a lil' sumpin' sumpin'
Got a feelin about this,,you gonna eat your hat.

Soham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
The New World order!
More like the old world order with a twist..our knecks.
truth

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

they have many face
someone watching them too
they talking
who is better

all of them fall

Soham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I don't sign on to that policy.
Anti-colonialism is a term used for an ideology that holds wealthy western countries responsible for the plight of the third world countries. It is a belief that rich countries got rich by plundering poor countries. It is the basis for the UN's redistribution of funds from wealthier nations to poorer ones, or global social justice.
I'm willing to bet this is why Indians and Mid-easterners are pouring into Australia. It still belongs to the crown. I could be wrong. One really doesn't know what their leaders are doing in the background concerning the UN.
Isnt it strange that once a western power leaves a third world country, they tend to revert back to there former third world ways.

Soham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
I see.
You are smart because you will fish for a species in a pond that does not contain the species you are fishing for.
Uh, OK, if you say so.
<rolls eyes>
Ehhh, Whats up doc.

Soham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
I suspect the average American would be quite alarmed by that for sure, but they would be alarmed because they do not know what "rapine" means, and not because they would have a problem with forcefuly taking another country's stuff.
Chuckle.

Soham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
NO "perp" has any rights whatsoever when caught in the act of committing a crime, and especially a crime that involves a home invasion. A "perp" forfeits any and all "rights" when actively threatening the lives, property, and well being of another and his family.
NO PERP HAS ANY RIGHTS WHATSOEVER WHEN CAUGHT IN THE ACT OF COMMITING A CRIME.

Would you make an allowance for a crime by a child ?

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
NO PERP HAS ANY RIGHTS WHATSOEVER WHEN CAUGHT IN THE ACT OF COMMITING A CRIME.
Would you make an allowance for a crime by a child ?
It depends on the kind of cookie in the jar. If they are chocolate chip cookies - no way.
<wink>
Of course one would have to define "child" and the "crime" the child is committing in order to obtain an informed opinion answer.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ehhh, Whats up doc.
This is just a guess mind you, but uh, any direction away from the center of gravity?

Since: Jan 11

Mount Holly, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Isnt it strange that once a western power leaves a third world country, they tend to revert back to there former third world ways.
That would be the major point. There is no reason a country should relinquish some of their sovereignty to the UN toward a global social justice agenda due to the past. They have problems now due to their own governments.

Soham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Buck Fiden wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know. A .45 through the ears is a possible prescription.
Messy,,or are you volunteering to clean up ?
truth

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

which poison is yours in very well educated country..

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not think it strange at all.
When one sees a glimpse of, and gets a taste of the ends that the western powers' technology is currently driving them toward, hell no it is not strange. In fact, it may be a bit prophetic for the third world peoples to return to where that same ends the western powers' technology is currently driving those industrial men toward. Is not that end an ultimate return to a hunter/gatherer type existance, should they stay the course?

Is not one of the stated missions of those same industrial men to "free" a nation so the citizenry can live as they so choose? What or who is to say they can not return to what they know and are familiar with - a hand to mouth existance? Will not some stay and some go to other ways of their own free accord?
The truth be told, it is not the freedom of those peoples that the western powers are interested in at all. They are interested in "freedom" though. It is the freeing up of the Earth's assets from the third world grasp that they seek.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

truth wrote:
which poison is yours in very well educated country..
"Education" by the state.

Since: Jan 11

Mount Holly, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I certainly see what you mean, but the term you employ is misleading.
What you speak of would more appropriately be referred to as deceptive reasoning.
Allow me to explain.
There are indeed 'first world' nations engaged in what you describe, where the European and American multinational corporations have been employing the respective security services to instigate political instability, overthrow stable governments, and install dictators more friendly to 'western interests.'
All of that, you understand, is a subterfuge used to gain access to the natural resource of the region.
Here's the MAJOR distinction which you NEED to grasp: While it is indeed the multinational corporations which are paying for all of that misery to happen, it is the people of the west (themselves not having any direct, or knowledgeable connection to the foisted misery inflicted upon those third world nation by the multinationals), who are being blamed for what is being done in THEIR NAMES.
A few hundred years ago, there was a common term for what is being done in the present sense, but few are actually familiar with it: Mercantilism.
It's definition is innocent enough, but it's what lies beneath which is most pernicious.
The late, great, British Empire relied solely upon mercantilism for the power it had obtained through the subjugation of the people in foreign lands, with the theft of natural resources at 'bargain basement' prices extracted through bribery, or just plain outright imperialistic machinations.
China, India, and Africa being the more blatant examples of what happens when corporate power employs the political power of a nation in order to achieve its means.
I won't belabor the point.
So, I am going to consider that what you mean to say is that the people of the U.S. are being blamed for what's being done in their respective names, even though they didn't have a clue about what that was.
I think a more correct term would be 'rapine.' If you told the average American that his nation was secretly involved in the rapine of foreign nations without his knowledge, he would be quite alarmed, and demand to know why such was being done.
It's not my term. It's the new happy face term for anti-imperialism.

No doubt countries took part in plundering other nations. The US certainly wasn't innocent with the banana republics, creating Panama, installing the Shah, locking up the queen of Hawaii, and so on. I think ol' Teddy sent us down a wrong path.

You're right, the public shouldn't have to pay for past deeds and the nation shouldn't take part in any UN schemes toward global social justice. Most often, it's the totalitarian governments in those countries that cause their problems.

Soham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
It depends on the kind of cookie in the jar. If they are chocolate chip cookies - no way.
<wink>
Of course one would have to define "child" and the "crime" the child is committing in order to obtain an informed opinion answer.
Yes I would agree with that,,,I too like chocolate chip.

Defining the age at which a child should be held responsible for certain behaviour is an awkward one,or it is for me. If they have recieved a lousy up bringing, I will make allowances in certain circumstances. However a small boy was murdered in a most horrific way some years back that shocked the UK, the perps were themselves very young boys,,you may even have heard of the case. The little two year old lads name was James Bulger.
The two ten year olds resposible for his torture and murder made British legal history when convicted,,and were not released untill adulthood. I believe one of them is now back in prison. Its perhaps as well for them, that I had no say in their fate.

Soham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
This is just a guess mind you, but uh, any direction away from the center of gravity?
And there was I thinking you were doing a Bunny impersonation.

Soham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

truth wrote:
they have many face
someone watching them too
they talking
who is better
all of them fall
WHO IS BETTER.

The free man, even if he does fall.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 74,161 - 74,180 of103,242
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••