It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103321 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Since: Jan 11

Abingdon, VA

#75052 Aug 20, 2012
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>Thta's the POINT!
How many "addicts" do you know that don't infringe on others?
One of the dangers would be the BURDEN drug addicts put on society!
No?
More kids would be doing it!
Drugs can cause effects like illnesses, which can be expensive for society to cure.
Use of drugs during pregnancy will increase the likelihood of children with bad school results and, when grown up, unemployed.
Drug users in GENERAL are unemployed.
The high costs of narcotics abuse can cause economic catastrophe for the addict.
The high costs often cause other criminality, which causes extensive damage.
Alcohol and drugs can make people behave in unsafe, irresponsible and aggressive way, and are therefore forbidden in combination with driving, etc.
They usually LEAVE that table after they "snort"...and cause pain to others.
They are BAD HORRIBLE parents...sleeping and drugging when they need to watch their kids. Foster care would SKY ROCKET!
More abused and children taken advantage of!
Because of the bad effects of narcotics on people and society, most countries make selling and using narcotics illegal.
You're ignorant to think otherwise...and EVERY COUNTRY agrees:)
<quoted text>In the words of the Declaration of Independence:
"it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."
<quoted text>
You seem to be too dumb to know the BURDEN that addicts put on society, their children, and others children!
Sad really:(
<quoted text>Are you really comparing PEOPLE (living human beings) to drugs (man made chemicals)?
OMG...you are ignorant!
<quoted text>Ummm, FYI: That would be RAPE!
<quoted text>How many drug addicts do you know that "stay at home"?
What happens when they run out of crank? They would LEAVE in a heartbeat to get another hit!
...and you know it!
Also, they would have to BUY it somewhere, and LEAVE home to do that...eh?
ALSO< what kind of parenting skills do you suppose all these addicts will have? and what effect do you think that will have on society and future society?
<quoted text>Health care is a RIGHT, and EVERY developed country in the WORLD thinks so too!
So, your opinion is moot, and don't mean much!
I am NOT supportive of drug addicts negative choices (YOU ARE)...you want them to be able to do it!
That sounds like support to me!
I want it to be ILLEGAL!...get it?
Are you confused?
...and I care because it is a burden on our society, children, and future.
To disagree is ignorant!
<quoted text>Then why do you gun nuts always QUOTE the founding fathers, and the MAN MADE constitution?
<quoted text>
"Guns" have nothing to do with that!
You still have the right to protect yourself, even without a gun. and WAAAAY before guns came about:)
Healthcare:
You believe you have the right to another sovereign free citizen's knowledge and skill? I hope your skill never becomes the right of the public. Other nations are collectivist nations.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Since: Oct 07

Blue Ridge Mountains

#75054 Aug 20, 2012
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
"magine the world without guns" was a bumper sticker that began making the rounds after the murder of ex-Beatle John Lennon on December 18, 1980. Last year, Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono, followed up on that sentiment by announcing she would become a spokeswoman for Handgun Control, Inc.(which later changed its name to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, and which was previously named the National Council to Control Handguns).
So let's try hard to imagine what a world without guns would look like. It isn't hard to do. But be forewarned: It's not a pretty picture."
http://www.davekopel.com/NRO/2001/A-World-Wit...
Awesome article, blah should have it tattooed on his forehead
Dr Freud

Northwich, UK

#75055 Aug 20, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Healthcare:
You believe you have the right to another sovereign free citizen's knowledge and skill? I hope your skill never becomes the right of the public. Other nations are collectivist nations.
Regarding 'healthcare':
Paradoxical Quote of The Day From Ben Stein —
"Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."
"Now add this, "Many of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens."

Since: Feb 11

Sutton, UK

#75056 Aug 20, 2012
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>For the 100th time....ME!
I am FOR guns, and the right to bear arms:)
Can you READ?
I have said that probably 550 times!
Why would I intrust it to strangers?
Regulating GUNS, preventing the criminally insane, and violent felons from having guns STILL means we have the right to SAFETY!
Where and WHY do you confuse the two?
What is your point here?
I read just fine,,,do you comprehend ?.

Regulating GUNS,,,,, see there YOU go again,,regulation leads to a ban, as well you know.
If you truly wanted to defend the right to bare arms,, you would have posted thus,,,, Regulating CRIMINALS, the criminally insane, and violent felons, via a more stringent incarceration procces, and were necessary the death penalty,would increase safety.

Change the law, and its treatment regarding criminals, not the constitution, your approach will only achieve the latter.

If you are truly accepting your right of safety,,,as your responsibility,,,then am I to assume, that you complain to your government regarding criminal law in its present state ?,, whilst taking the utmost care in your day to day life to ensure that safety ?, and using the most effective means possible ?.
If your answer is NO,, then you are indeed entrusting your safety to strangers.

“Imaginez tous les gens”

Since: Sep 09

Sunbury, OH

#75057 Aug 20, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Healthcare:
...and that SKILL is not something they are BORN WITH!
DUH...it is TAUGHT, and often paid for with federal grants and loans!!!

FYI: Those with "SKILLS and knowledge" (ie...DOCTORS) take a "HIPAA" oath!

Which means they SWEAR to help ANYONE in need, and NEVER turn anyone away, and that means the PUBLIC!

Try to keep up with the real world!

Sutton, UK

#75058 Aug 20, 2012
Good Aussies wrote:
<quoted text>
If you try to talk sense to satanic communists you're going to lose.
All they care about is their power and they see us as inferior animals that need to be managed.
They are psychotic egomaniacs.
Satanic communists ??????
Dr Freud

Northwich, UK

#75059 Aug 20, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Satanic communists ??????
It's a paradigm of thinking. Communists are anti-Christian, and that equates to 'anti-Christ.' Being such makes them worshippers of the anti-Christ. If you hate one, then you love the other, i.e., the enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Communists hate religion because the religious tend to distrust government. But that's not a hard and fast rule either, all things considered. Many of the religious are just as gullible as the non-religious, if not more so.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

#75060 Aug 20, 2012
Light Bearer wrote:
<quoted text>
Loo, loo skip to the loo,
Fraud and Foo, skip to the loo
Loo loo skipped to the loo
Skipped to the loo my darlings.
A gun in one hand, what can we do
A gun in one hand what shall we do.
You wipe me said Fraud to Foo
You wipe me said Fraud to Foo
And then I can wipe you too.
Here is an original.

I really like how you punctuate your ignorance with such certainty.

Scott Adams

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

#75061 Aug 20, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you may have misunderstood Ziggys point.
Government may well hand out weapons, doesent mean he had any say, or was even consulted in the matter.
were you ?
Naw, I think he is hip.

The Gov gave lots of guns to the cartel in the debacle fast and furious.

I think it is great that some pols in Mexico are calling for Holder and some ATF directors to be extradited there for criimnals charges.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

#75062 Aug 20, 2012
OregonSUX wrote:
Gun freaks are taking guns to the toilet now? Why not just build a gun rack in the bathroom for goodness sakes.
jane you ignorant slut,

who needs a gun in the bathroom,

these people did,

http://www.bing.com/search...

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

#75063 Aug 20, 2012
Ramafuchs wrote:
And I want to put all Jews in ovens for their crimes.
now rama, that won't happen again. They have guns to keep people like you away from any oven controls.
Dr Freud

Northwich, UK

#75064 Aug 20, 2012
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is an original.
I really like how you punctuate your ignorance with such certainty.
Scott Adams
Scott Adams is a genius in cartoonist clothing! I get his daily cartoons in email.

Sutton, UK

#75065 Aug 20, 2012
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a paradigm of thinking. Communists are anti-Christian, and that equates to 'anti-Christ.' Being such makes them worshippers of the anti-Christ. If you hate one, then you love the other, i.e., the enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Communists hate religion because the religious tend to distrust government. But that's not a hard and fast rule either, all things considered. Many of the religious are just as gullible as the non-religious, if not more so.
Yes indeed, and thank you for that.
I was however curious as to how that poster had arrived at such a conclusion regarding myself.
A year ago or so, the poster Wolverine, called me an evil communist, or something like that,, for what appeared to be one, or all of the following reasons.

I smoke.

I drink alchohol.

I dont believe in any Gods, good or bad

With the first two taken in moderation, NON of those can hurt anyone other than myself,,, for anyone to think otherwise would suggest that they themselves are perhaps a danger to others when they jump to unfounded conclusions.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

#75066 Aug 20, 2012
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you agree that an average citizen does NOT train the military, or special forces...right?
<quoted text> How is that "apparent"?
Can you be specific?
<quoted text>...actually, you gave 11 examples!
YET, not even ONE of them answered my question!
"I find it hard to understand how an >average< citizen can use his gun unless it's in his SHEETS, if he is accosted while ASLEEP< and awakes with a gun to his head?"
NOT ONE of the "stories" you posted meets those qualifications...and you know it!
<quoted text>When did I ever say "I don't understand"?
I understand PERFECTLY it's so rare, that you couldn't find ONE story that meets my criteria!
Of ALL your links, they either lack being ASLEEP, the intruder lacks a gun, they are NOT average citizens, they were outside, etc...NOT ONE of your links was the person ALSEEP, or an average citizen.
It is YOU that seems to not understand:)
<quoted text>What are you talking about?
Are you drunk?
Jane you ignorant slut,

here we have lots of civilians training army personel, and they are pretty average,
http://www.bon.texas.gov/practice/faq-militar...

and several of those "stories" had examples of waking up with a gun in your face and getting the upper hand.

I realize you keep framing the question to get the answer you are happy with, let me help,

"if a quadriplegic wakes up with a gun pointed in his face, I do not understand how the average quadriplegic can get the upper hand",

substitute brain dead bunny, and you have another helpless victim waiting to happen,

I am not sure why being awakended does not allow you to think that person was asleep prior to being awakened, perhaps you need a dictionary.

Wait, I know, you're a dumbass who thinks her ignorance is an opinion.

But I do want to end on a positive note,

I like the way you punctuate your ignorance with such certainty

However, good guess on the drunk.

“Imaginez tous les gens”

Since: Sep 09

Sunbury, OH

#75068 Aug 20, 2012
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
here we have lots of civilians training army personel, and they are pretty average,
http://www.bon.texas.gov/practice/faq-militar...
Ummm, Piggy....the link you provided they are being trained to give basic medical aid!!
That is a FAR CRY from training SPECIAL FORCES, and the MIlITARY POLICE!!!
You are getting desperate!
Are you seriously trying to say civilians that train special forces, and MP's are average citizens?
Why do you lie so much?
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
and several of those "stories" had examples of waking up with a gun in your face and getting the upper hand.
What "stories"?
The link only gave ONE example of NURSES training them to do basic medical aid!
It has NOTHING to do with GUNS, or special forces!
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>had examples of waking up with a gun in your face and getting the upper hand.
Show me liar?
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
"if a quadriplegic wakes up with a gun pointed in his face, I do not understand how the average quadriplegic can get the upper hand",
...because he slept with a loaded gun in his sheets!
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not sure why being awakended does not allow you to think that person was asleep prior to being awakened, perhaps you need a dictionary.
...because of the time frame of them being able to "retrieve" their gun, and the intruder having his gun in their face!
Try to keep up!
If they are able to get their gun...how did they get it without sleeping with a loaded gun in the sheets?
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
However, good guess on the drunk.
I know right!

Abingdon, VA

#75069 Aug 20, 2012
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>...and that SKILL is not something they are BORN WITH!
DUH...it is TAUGHT, and often paid for with federal grants and loans!!!
FYI: Those with "SKILLS and knowledge" (ie...DOCTORS) take a "HIPAA" oath!
Which means they SWEAR to help ANYONE in need, and NEVER turn anyone away, and that means the PUBLIC!
Try to keep up with the real world!
Careful there. There's a doctor in the family and SHE never took a government dime. Started practice with an incredible debt. Grants and loans have no bearing on a government ownership of a service, product, skill, or knowledge, or, in other words, one's property.

I've never seen a doctor turn anyone away. What does that have to do with a government mandating how you practice your skill in your little Bolshevik mind.

Abingdon, VA

#75070 Aug 20, 2012
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Regarding 'healthcare':
Paradoxical Quote of The Day From Ben Stein —
"Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."
"Now add this, "Many of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens."
Excellent point!

Abingdon, VA

#75071 Aug 20, 2012
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
Naw, I think he is hip.
The Gov gave lots of guns to the cartel in the debacle fast and furious.
I think it is great that some pols in Mexico are calling for Holder and some ATF directors to be extradited there for criimnals charges.
That would be something to see. He's already in contempt of congress.

There's no way the president couldn't have known about an operation that crossed the border of a sovereign nation either.
t clms

Victoria, Canada

#75072 Aug 20, 2012
PROTECT GUN RIGHTS wrote:
I Love Guns.
Woman love Strong Man with Gun.
In Pants and in Hand.
Guns rule.....
COWBOY 4EVER...
Thanks..

What every American gun owner thinks.
even the women.....
t clms

Victoria, Canada

#75073 Aug 20, 2012
Ramafuchs wrote:
And I want to put all Jews in ovens for their crimes.
Hitler already tried that... unfortunately, most were innocent.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US House of Representatives Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Democrats stage sit-in, shut down chamber overa 6 min huey goins 31
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 8 min Calvin_Coolish 228,386
News Rebellious Democrats disrupt House, stage protest 47 min Cat74 224
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr IB DaMann 60,011
News Minority Party Makes a Major Shift in House 1 hr Wholly Silicon Wafer 8
News Ryan presents plan for a largest corporate tax ... 2 hr Atlas sans Balls 2
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 hr DanFromSmithville 199,157
More from around the web