It's the Guns, Stupid

Apr 20, 2007 Full story: Truthdig 103,359

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Full Story

“Imaginez tous les gens”

Since: Sep 09

Sunbury, OH

#75043 Aug 20, 2012
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
you just compared drinking (legal) with drunk driving (illegal)
PAY ATTENTION!
The OTHER poster said:
"What's wrong with doing away with drug laws?"
and
"How would that diminish a citizen's freedoms and rights?"

I compared it to LAWS on DRINKING!
We have LAWS on drinking (driving), locations, and age, etc....BECAUSE, it can effect my RIGHT to safety!
Hence: when I drive!
It has EVERYTHING to do with answering his question!

TRY TO KEEP UP!
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
Like when you feel that wearing a gun is just as dangerous as having one being shot at you.
Liar, can you point me to where I EVER said that< liar?
Geesh, do gun nuts have an honest bone in their bodies...or is it just you?
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
PLease explain how someone that sits at home and snorts their brains out is dangerous to the public
One of the dangers would be the BURDEN drug addicts put on society!
No?
More kids would be doing it!
Drugs can cause effects like illnesses, which can be expensive for society to cure.
Use of drugs during pregnancy will increase the likelihood of children with bad school results and, when grown up, unemployed.
Drug users in GENERAL are unemployed.
The high costs of narcotics abuse can cause economic catastrophe for the addict.
The high costs often cause other criminality, which causes extensive damage.
Alcohol and drugs can make people behave in unsafe, irresponsible and aggressive way, and are therefore forbidden in combination with driving, etc.
They usually LEAVE that table after they "snort"...and cause pain to others.
They are BAD HORRIBLE parents...sleeping and drugging when they need to watch their kids. Foster care would SKY ROCKET!
More abused and children taken advantage of!
Because of the bad effects of narcotics on people and society, most countries make selling and using narcotics illegal.

Any questions?

“Imaginez tous les gens”

Sunbury, OH

#75044 Aug 20, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
A free person can do whatever they wish providing they do not infringe upon the rights of others..
Thta's the POINT!
How many "addicts" do you know that don't infringe on others?
No?
Drugs can cause effects like illnesses, which can be expensive for society to cure.
Use of drugs during pregnancy will increase the likelihood of children with bad school results and, when grown up, unemployed.
The high costs of narcotics abuse can cause economic catastrophe for the addict.
Alcohol and drugs can make people behave in unsafe, irresponsible and aggressive way, and are therefore forbidden in combination with driving, etc.
They are BAD HORRIBLE parents...sleeping and drugging when they need to watch their kids. Foster care would SKY ROCKET!
Because of the bad effects of narcotics on people and society, most countries make selling and using narcotics illegal.
You're ignorant to think otherwise...and EVERY COUNTRY agrees:)
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no such thing as "I have the RIGHT to SAFETY in this country."
In the words of the Declaration of Independence:
"it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
So what if drugs are harmful and destroy lives ... it is THEIR lives that are being destroyed
You seem to be too dumb to know the BURDEN that addicts put on society, their children, and others children!
Sad really:(
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
If homosexuality is OK and gays cause no harm to others or their rights, then so too are drugs likewise.
Are you really comparing PEOPLE (living human beings) to drugs (man made chemicals)?
OMG...you are ignorant!
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
gays ... if they avoid an attempt to force it upon others who disagree with the choice.
Ummm, FYI: That would be RAPE!
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
do crank and crack to your heart's content ... PROVIDING ... you keep it in your own home or circle.
How many drug addicts do you know that "stay at home"?
What happens when they run out of crank? They would LEAVE in a heartbeat to get another hit!
...and you know it!
Also, they would have to BUY it somewhere, and LEAVE home to do that...eh?
ALSO< what kind of parenting skills do you suppose all these addicts will have? and what effect do you think that will have on society and future society?
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you so damn supportive Health care is NOT a right personal choice..
Health care is a RIGHT, and EVERY developed country in the WORLD thinks so too!
So, your opinion is moot, and don't mean much!
I am NOT supportive of drug addicts negative choices (YOU ARE)...you want them to be able to do it!
That sounds like support to me!
I want it to be ILLEGAL!...get it?
Are you confused?
...and I care because it is a burden on our society, children, and future.

To disagree is ignorant!
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
one person or group of persons is capable NOT of granting to another ...
Then why do you gun nuts always QUOTE the founding fathers, and the MAN MADE constitution?
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
A person's rights are every bit a part and parcel of a person as their arms are ... bare or not.
"Guns" have nothing to do with that!
You still have the right to protect yourself, even without a gun. and WAAAAY before guns came about:)
Dr Freud

UK

#75045 Aug 20, 2012
Light Bearer wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you need a pair of steel shoulder blades. "There is a pedlar aboard with a crushing pack"
You should pedal your wares elsewhere.
Dr Freud

UK

#75046 Aug 20, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't believe everything any government tells you but I would not believe anything YOUR government tells you....I believe that you don't attack your government unless it has proven deciet.
I believe nothing ANY government says, PERIOD.
Dr Freud

UK

#75047 Aug 20, 2012
Good Aussies wrote:
<quoted text>
If you try to talk sense to satanic communists you're going to lose.
All they care about is their power and they see us as inferior animals that need to be managed.
They are psychotic egomaniacs.
You're speaking OF the poster,'snow bunny.'

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Since: Oct 07

Blue Ridge Mountains

#75049 Aug 20, 2012
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, maybe not here. But our govt has been known to hand them out like candy to Mexican drug cartels.
heh heh, damn good point. Obama and Holder used tax payer money and gave the money to criminals to buy guns to ship to mexico.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

#75050 Aug 20, 2012
Ramafuchs wrote:
Comrade
i am a guy without any virtues or vices or wealthy.......
What I wish to expose in this thread is this.
Guns are for STUPID PEOPLE
That is correct. When stupid people try to hurt others, we use guns to stop them.

Works great, you should try it.

Only the pistol allows the most helpless among us to stop predators from harming them. No other tool is as efficient and easy to use.

In your world, only the thug and noble could defend themselves well. They had time to practice with their edged weapons.

With the pistol, you only need to know how to pull a trigger and hit a bad guy 3 feet away.

God created man,

Col Colt made them equal!

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

#75051 Aug 20, 2012
Ramafuchs wrote:
Let me expose my ignorance further.
In Germany where i live there are are lot of homeless people who seek shelter in the cold and warm climate to take a nap.
They have no guns and those helpless victims of the banal civilization is a subject all the intellectuals should bestow their attentions.
It is not the case.
they are left overs lost their home and family and resort to drink the beer and sleep without guns.
there are more churches and Mosques and Hindu temples in Germany.
Now it is summer. But in winter season the climate will not be congenial and bitting cold and those gun-less victims of this civilization sleep outside. Some leave without any guns and trace our noble globe.
System with flags and guns and parochial consumerism is rotten
Riddle me this Batman,
if Germany has such great gun control laws, then why has Germany had 3 of the worst 5 mass school shootings, at a NO GUN ZONE, in Europe for the past ten years.

The 3 worst mass shootings, and you guys have great gin control.

What happened???

Since: Jan 11

Mount Holly, NJ

#75052 Aug 20, 2012
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>Thta's the POINT!
How many "addicts" do you know that don't infringe on others?
No?
You're ignorant to think otherwise...and EVERY COUNTRY agrees:)
<quoted text>In the words of the Declaration of Independence:
"it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."
<quoted text>
You seem to be too dumb to know the BURDEN that addicts put on society, their children, and others children!
Sad really:(
<quoted text>Are you really comparing PEOPLE (living human beings) to drugs (man made chemicals)?
OMG...you are ignorant!
<quoted text>Ummm, FYI: That would be RAPE!
<quoted text>How many drug addicts do you know that "stay at home"?
What happens when they run out of crank? They would LEAVE in a heartbeat to get another hit!
...and you know it!
Also, they would have to BUY it somewhere, and LEAVE home to do that...eh?
ALSO< what kind of parenting skills do you suppose all these addicts will have? and what effect do you think that will have on society and future society?
<quoted text>Health care is a RIGHT, and EVERY developed country in the WORLD thinks so too!
So, your opinion is moot, and don't mean much!
I am NOT supportive of drug addicts negative choices (YOU ARE)...you want them to be able to do it!
That sounds like support to me!
I want it to be ILLEGAL!...get it?
Are you confused?
...and I care because it is a burden on our society, children, and future.
To disagree is ignorant!
<quoted text>Then why do you gun nuts always QUOTE the founding fathers, and the MAN MADE constitution?
<quoted text>
"Guns" have nothing to do with that!
You still have the right to protect yourself, even without a gun. and WAAAAY before guns came about:)
Healthcare:
You believe you have the right to another sovereign free citizen's knowledge and skill? I hope your skill never becomes the right of the public. Other nations are collectivist nations.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

#75054 Aug 20, 2012
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
"magine the world without guns" was a bumper sticker that began making the rounds after the murder of ex-Beatle John Lennon on December 18, 1980. Last year, Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono, followed up on that sentiment by announcing she would become a spokeswoman for Handgun Control, Inc.(which later changed its name to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, and which was previously named the National Council to Control Handguns).
So let's try hard to imagine what a world without guns would look like. It isn't hard to do. But be forewarned: It's not a pretty picture."
http://www.davekopel.com/NRO/2001/A-World-Wit...
Awesome article, blah should have it tattooed on his forehead
Dr Freud

UK

#75055 Aug 20, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Healthcare:
You believe you have the right to another sovereign free citizen's knowledge and skill? I hope your skill never becomes the right of the public. Other nations are collectivist nations.
Regarding 'healthcare':
Paradoxical Quote of The Day From Ben Stein
"Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."
"Now add this, "Many of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens."

Since: Feb 11

Ely, UK

#75056 Aug 20, 2012
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>For the 100th time....ME!
I am FOR guns, and the right to bear arms:)
Can you READ?
I have said that probably 550 times!
Why would I intrust it to strangers?
Regulating GUNS, preventing the criminally insane, and violent felons from having guns STILL means we have the right to SAFETY!
Where and WHY do you confuse the two?
What is your point here?
I read just fine,,,do you comprehend ?.

Regulating GUNS,,,,, see there YOU go again,,regulation leads to a ban, as well you know.
If you truly wanted to defend the right to bare arms,, you would have posted thus,,,, Regulating CRIMINALS, the criminally insane, and violent felons, via a more stringent incarceration procces, and were necessary the death penalty,would increase safety.

Change the law, and its treatment regarding criminals, not the constitution, your approach will only achieve the latter.

If you are truly accepting your right of safety,,,as your responsibility,,,then am I to assume, that you complain to your government regarding criminal law in its present state ?,, whilst taking the utmost care in your day to day life to ensure that safety ?, and using the most effective means possible ?.
If your answer is NO,, then you are indeed entrusting your safety to strangers.

“Imaginez tous les gens”

Sunbury, OH

#75057 Aug 20, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Healthcare:
...and that SKILL is not something they are BORN WITH!
DUH...it is TAUGHT, and often paid for with federal grants and loans!!!

FYI: Those with "SKILLS and knowledge" (ie...DOCTORS) take a "HIPAA" oath!

Which means they SWEAR to help ANYONE in need, and NEVER turn anyone away, and that means the PUBLIC!

Try to keep up with the real world!

Since: Feb 11

Ely, UK

#75058 Aug 20, 2012
Good Aussies wrote:
<quoted text>
If you try to talk sense to satanic communists you're going to lose.
All they care about is their power and they see us as inferior animals that need to be managed.
They are psychotic egomaniacs.
Satanic communists ??????
Dr Freud

UK

#75059 Aug 20, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Satanic communists ??????
It's a paradigm of thinking. Communists are anti-Christian, and that equates to 'anti-Christ.' Being such makes them worshippers of the anti-Christ. If you hate one, then you love the other, i.e., the enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Communists hate religion because the religious tend to distrust government. But that's not a hard and fast rule either, all things considered. Many of the religious are just as gullible as the non-religious, if not more so.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

#75060 Aug 20, 2012
Light Bearer wrote:
<quoted text>
Loo, loo skip to the loo,
Fraud and Foo, skip to the loo
Loo loo skipped to the loo
Skipped to the loo my darlings.
A gun in one hand, what can we do
A gun in one hand what shall we do.
You wipe me said Fraud to Foo
You wipe me said Fraud to Foo
And then I can wipe you too.
Here is an original.

I really like how you punctuate your ignorance with such certainty.

Scott Adams

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

#75061 Aug 20, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you may have misunderstood Ziggys point.
Government may well hand out weapons, doesent mean he had any say, or was even consulted in the matter.
were you ?
Naw, I think he is hip.

The Gov gave lots of guns to the cartel in the debacle fast and furious.

I think it is great that some pols in Mexico are calling for Holder and some ATF directors to be extradited there for criimnals charges.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

#75062 Aug 20, 2012
OregonSUX wrote:
Gun freaks are taking guns to the toilet now? Why not just build a gun rack in the bathroom for goodness sakes.
jane you ignorant slut,

who needs a gun in the bathroom,

these people did,

http://www.bing.com/search...

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

#75063 Aug 20, 2012
Ramafuchs wrote:
And I want to put all Jews in ovens for their crimes.
now rama, that won't happen again. They have guns to keep people like you away from any oven controls.
Dr Freud

UK

#75064 Aug 20, 2012
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is an original.
I really like how you punctuate your ignorance with such certainty.
Scott Adams
Scott Adams is a genius in cartoonist clothing! I get his daily cartoons in email.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US House of Representatives Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 11 min red and right 168,345
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 12 min Subduction Zone 142,391
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 23 min Snitched off Elto... 57,145
Senators Confirm Re-Election Bids for 2016 38 min barefoot2626 3
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr No Warming 50,422
Democratic US Rep. Ryan says he now supports ab... 2 hr radiofreeamerica 11
Republican leaders look for escape plan on immi... 2 hr cancer lost 20
More from around the web