It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103300 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Slingshot

Northwich, UK

#72604 Aug 5, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> When laying seige to a castle they would catapult dead rotting horses. and live screaming people over the castle walls. they would tunnell under the castle floor,s and pack the excavations with wood & other flammables and cook the castle inhabitants.
"and live screaming people over the castle walls."

Must have been one heck of a doppler effect!

:-)
Slingshot

Columbus, OH

#72606 Aug 5, 2012
HugeKielbasa wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah Europe during the dark ages had a much higher murder rate than now.
That was before guns were even invented.
They would just murder with axes, swords, knives, catapults etc.
Some how murdering with a gun seems more humane than with an axe... LOL
You're trying to reason with a child.
Slingshot

Northwich, UK

#72607 Aug 5, 2012
Slingshot wrote:
<quoted text>You're trying to reason with a child.
So, because you couldn't keep me away by deleting my former user name (Franca Lingua), you now resort to pretending to be me. TOPIX must REALLY be distraught and grasping at straws to shut me off!!!

It's a pretty sorry business that hires trolls in the attempt to shutdown the truth.
Pandemonium

Northwich, UK

#72608 Aug 5, 2012
So, because you couldn't keep me away by deleting my former user name (Franca Lingua), you now resort to pretending to be me (Slingshot). TOPIX must REALLY be distraught and grasping at straws to shut me off!!!

It's a pretty sorry business that hires trolls in the attempt to shutdown the truth.
Edward James Totty

Columbus, OH

#72609 Aug 5, 2012
Slingshot wrote:
<quoted text>
So, because you couldn't keep me away by deleting my former user name (Franca Lingua), you now resort to pretending to be me. TOPIX must REALLY be distraught and grasping at straws to shut me off!!!
I'll take your complaint up to the management of Topix. You'll hear back from them shortly.
Highlander

Columbus, OH

#72610 Aug 5, 2012
So, because you couldn't keep me away by deleting my former user name (Highlander), you now resort to pretending to be me (Slingshot). TOPIX must REALLY be distraught and grasping at straws to shut me off!!!

Pandemonium

Northwich, UK

#72611 Aug 5, 2012
Edward James Totty wrote:
<quoted text>I'll take your complaint up to the management of Topix. You'll hear back from them shortly.
Who the FCUK are you? What are you doing now, making up names to use? Can't be creative enough? Gotta use the phone book now?
You FCUKERS are weak!!
Edward James Totty

Columbus, OH

#72613 Aug 5, 2012
Pandemonium wrote:
<quoted text>
Who the FCUK are you? What are you doing now, making up names to use? Can't be creative enough? Gotta use the phone book now?
You FCUKERS are weak!!
Excuse me??? I offered to take your case to the Topix management and this is how I get treated??
You don't like my name? Take it up with my dead parents but don't be an ingrateful goon!!!
Pandemonium

Northwich, UK

#72614 Aug 5, 2012
<quoted text>Excuse me??? I offered to take your case to the Topix management and this is how I get treated??
You don't like my name? Take it up with my dead parents but don't be an ingrateful goon!!!
Blow it out your arse, you San Francisco F A gg OT!!
Edward James Totty

Columbus, OH

#72615 Aug 5, 2012
Pandemonium wrote:
<quoted text>
Blow it out your arse, you San Francisco F A gg OT!!
First, I'm located in Everett, WA.
Second, your gay faantasy of me is something you have to deal with.
Third, Topix is investigating the matter but they're also looking into your activites as well.
Pandemonium

Northwich, UK

#72616 Aug 5, 2012
<quoted text>First, I'm located in Everett, WA.
Second, your gay faantasy of me is something you have to deal with.
Third, Topix is investigating the matter but they're also looking into your activites as well.
Yeah? WHAT'S YOUR ADDRESS? LET ME COME PAY YOU A VISIT ...

“Imaginez tous les gens”

Since: Sep 09

Sunbury, OH

#72617 Aug 5, 2012
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
"The supreme court has went back and fourth on this for YEARS...in the 70's the Supreme court ruled the OPPOSITE of what the Supreme court decided now...understand?"
Can you site the case or cases you are referring to that shows the "OPPOSITE" ruling...?
"We do know that it is WELL REGULATED, hence: the 20,000 gun control laws on the books...eh?"
And you do know that "WELL-REGULATED" does NOT refer to guns or arms...right..? Pull out your English major diploma and see if you can tell us what "WELL-REGULATED" relates to in the sentence structure.
CERTAINLY....but shouldn't you know this already?

1972: ADAMS v. WILLIAMS - In the dissent, Justices Douglas & Marshall took the portions of U.S. v. MILLER toward preservation of the Militia.

United States v. Miller
Main article: United States v. Miller
In United States v. Miller, 307 U.S. 174 , the Supreme Court rejected a Second Amendment challenge to the National Firearms Act prohibiting the interstate transportation of unregistered Title II weapons:

In a unanimous opinion authored by Justice McReynolds, the Supreme Court stated "the objection that the Act usurps police power reserved to the States is plainly untenable."
As the Court explained:
"In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a 'shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length' at this time has some reasonable relationship to any preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument. Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment or that its use could contribute to the common defense."

Gun rights advocates cite Miller because they claim that the Court ruled that the Second Amendment protected the right to keep arms that are part of "ordinary military equipment."

Gun control advocates cite Miller because they claim that the Court did not consider the question of whether the sawed-off shotgun in the case would be an applicable weapon for personal defense, instead looking solely at the weapon's suitability for the "common defense.".

ALSO, it says WELL REGULATED, and it is WELL REGULATED!

Don't like it?
Take it up with your elected officials!
Light Bearer

Perth, Australia

#72618 Aug 5, 2012
Those gunhappy cowboys are still shooting Indians.
No peace even at Temple.
They first called him a gunman.
Now he is a domestic terrorist.
Just another gun nut in the end.

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#72619 Aug 5, 2012
HugeKielbasa wrote:
Speaking of Ukraine.
The Soviets with Jew Lazar Kaganovich took away Ukrainian's guns so they couldn't rebel.
Then Jew Lazar Kaganovich lead to 6-12 million Ukrainians starving to death in the planned genocide of the Holodomor.
Where Jew Lazar Kaganovich took the guns away from the Ukrainians.
The took away their grains & food supply leaving them to starve to death by the multiple millions on planned genocide.
Hello Nazi , so good of you to use the word "Jew" when ever possible.

In the future could you disclose your superior religion and let us know the religion of all people you speak about .

I am sure your dead leader Hitler won't mind .

You do know he is dead , don't you ?
Light Bearer

Perth, Australia

#72620 Aug 5, 2012
Pandemonium wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah? WHAT'S YOUR ADDRESS? LET ME COME PAY YOU A VISIT ...
You are inferior.
Get over it.
M O Lasses

Northwich, UK

#72621 Aug 5, 2012
The troll you do not feed will not long be around.

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#72622 Aug 5, 2012
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>
CERTAINLY....but shouldn't you know this already?
1972: ADAMS v. WILLIAMS - In the dissent, Justices Douglas & Marshall took the portions of U.S. v. MILLER toward preservation of the Militia.
United States v. Miller
Main article: United States v. Miller
In United States v. Miller, 307 U.S. 174 , the Supreme Court rejected a Second Amendment challenge to the National Firearms Act prohibiting the interstate transportation of unregistered Title II weapons:
In a unanimous opinion authored by Justice McReynolds, the Supreme Court stated "the objection that the Act usurps police power reserved to the States is plainly untenable."
As the Court explained:
"In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a 'shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length' at this time has some reasonable relationship to any preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument. Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment or that its use could contribute to the common defense."
Gun rights advocates cite Miller because they claim that the Court ruled that the Second Amendment protected the right to keep arms that are part of "ordinary military equipment."
Gun control advocates cite Miller because they claim that the Court did not consider the question of whether the sawed-off shotgun in the case would be an applicable weapon for personal defense, instead looking solely at the weapon's suitability for the "common defense.".
ALSO, it says WELL REGULATED, and it is WELL REGULATED!
Don't like it?
Take it up with your elected officials!
You're wrong and you're always wrong.

The short barrel shot gun is a military weapon known as a "trench gun" in WWI.

I did take note that you did not respond to my post on the definition of "Well Regulated" as it pertains to the Second Amendment.

Nice deflection.

“Imaginez tous les gens”

Sunbury, OH

#72623 Aug 5, 2012
HugeKielbasa wrote:
<quoted text>
Ukraine has one of the strictest gun laws & lowest gun ownership rates in Europe.
Really?
Then what about this:
The number of privately owned guns in 178 countries, Ukraine ranked at No. 24
Lowest gun ownership? HARDLY!
Why lie?
I can't find anything that says they have the strictest gun laws.....care to prove that?
HugeKielbasa wrote:
<quoted text>.
Yet Ukraine has one of the highest murder rates in Europe.
Really? I just read that Scotland had the highest rate in Europe!
Got proof that Ukraine has the highest murder rate?
I think you must be confused...because you had the gun ownership wrong as well.
HugeKielbasa wrote:
<quoted text>
Which in Ukraine they often find other ways to murder than guns.
SO? What does that have to do with guns?
HugeKielbasa wrote:
<quoted text>
Like the Dnipropetrovsk maniacs in Ukraine who murdered 21 people by putting a hammer in a bag & beating people to death with a hammer.
What does that have to do with guns?
HugeKielbasa wrote:
<quoted text>
Should Ukraine also now make stricter laws on hammers to stop the Dnipropetrovsk maniacs from using hammers to kill people?
No one said gun control would stop all crime, or even gun crime. It won't, but it will help!
Just like laws against MURDER. We all have them...yet people still murder!...so we just do away with murder laws as well?
NO!
HugeKielbasa wrote:
<quoted text>
PS who is the pretty girl in your icon?
me

“Imaginez tous les gens”

Sunbury, OH

#72624 Aug 5, 2012
Where Is My America wrote:
<quoted text>You're wrong and you're always wrong.
The short barrel shot gun is a military weapon known as a "trench gun" in WWI.
I did take note that you did not respond to my post on the definition of "Well Regulated" as it pertains to the Second Amendment.
Nice deflection.
WOW...it's good to know you post as Maurader, and WhereIsMyAmerica!
Good to know!

What I posted is a DIRECT COPY AND PASTE FROM THE MILLER SUPREME COURT CASE...so if you have a disagreement with "trench gun" and ""short barrel shot gun" wording, then I suggest you take it up with the SUPREME COURT!
lol

You said "I did take note that you did not respond to my post on the definition of "Well Regulated" as it pertains to the Second Amendment."....>your < definition? The post I respoded to said "Maurader"....try to keep your profiles straight!
MOSTLY...pay attention! I did RESPOND to your "well regulated" opinion.
LOOK AGAIN!
Here ya go, taken from the LAST PARAGRAPH...I'll post it again
"ALSO, it says WELL REGULATED, and it is WELL REGULATED!
Don't like it?
Take it up with your elected officials!"

....that's what I think about YOUR opinion on the definition!

Any questions?
Light Bearer

Perth, Australia

#72625 Aug 5, 2012
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>WOW...it's good to know you post as Maurader, and WhereIsMyAmerica!
Good to know!
What I posted is a DIRECT COPY AND PASTE FROM THE MILLER SUPREME COURT CASE...so if you have a disagreement with "trench gun" and ""short barrel shot gun" wording, then I suggest you take it up with the SUPREME COURT!
lol
You said "I did take note that you did not respond to my post on the definition of "Well Regulated" as it pertains to the Second Amendment."....>your < definition? The post I respoded to said "Maurader"....try to keep your profiles straight!
MOSTLY...pay attention! I did RESPOND to your "well regulated" opinion.
LOOK AGAIN!
Here ya go, taken from the LAST PARAGRAPH...I'll post it again
"ALSO, it says WELL REGULATED, and it is WELL REGULATED!
Don't like it?
Take it up with your elected officials!"
....that's what I think about YOUR opinion on the definition!
Any questions?
Careful Bunny.
Split personality gunnuts can turn into MASS SHOOTERS when faced with their disorder.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US House of Representatives Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Latest: Trump says he saved Machado's job 13 min Responsibility 33
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 42 min Igor Trip 210,022
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Into The Night 61,521
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 hr Cornelius Scudmister 244,265
News Senate blocks bill with $500 million for Louisi... 3 hr davy 26
News Obama founder of ISIS, says Trump 5 hr BabyDoll 143
News Suspect arrested in Washington mall shooting 7 hr YouTheDotard 137
More from around the web