Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 60012 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#42231 Dec 27, 2013
litesong wrote:
Ozritz wrote:
Litesong, no one is knocking those who hold a spiritual belief.
//////////
gcaveman wrote:
In your spiritual wanderings, I find it surprising that you have chosen a transplanted Euro-God, instead of the One who resides in the mountains and trees of your native land.
/////////
litesong wrote:
Of course, Ozritz is not correct.
gcaveman uses this forum on AGW to display his "no felt need of God" & pulpit preach without a sermon or a pulpit. Furthering his "surprise of God Believers", he unleashes more surprise(which is mis-interpretation), that My God is a euro-god, trying his best to blend euros with the God of the Universe. His inference is to my continuous linking of euros & transplanted euros to Native Tribal genocide, world-wide, & why would I dare to pick the euro-god. gcaveman works hard not to mention the Sacrificial Lamb, Christ, Emmanuel, God With Us.
Always kinda thought atheists to be smart. Glad to see they can mentally flop, too.
Not atheist: agnostic. I find no scientific, realistic, tangible, palpable proof of God.

There may be a Supreme Being. I have not been all the way around the Universe yet. But wherever this being resides, I am pretty sure He (or She, which is more likely, according to the Earthly model) is not Euro, Middle Eastern, American, or for that matter, even earthly.

You are certainly as welcome to your beliefs as I am to mine.
SpaceBlues

United States

#42232 Dec 28, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not atheist: agnostic. I find no scientific, realistic, tangible, palpable proof of God.
There may be a Supreme Being. I have not been all the way around the Universe yet. But wherever this being resides, I am pretty sure He (or She, which is more likely, according to the Earthly model) is not Euro, Middle Eastern, American, or for that matter, even earthly.
You are certainly as welcome to your beliefs as I am to mine.
Ditto.

Nice job.
SpaceBlues

United States

#42233 Dec 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>To another poster:
What part of the Scientific Method don't you understand?
LOL are you the new b_gone?

OTOH you are asking as weird a question as the old b_gone.

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#42235 Dec 28, 2013
Change is the nature of life. We adapt. We should be concentrating our efforts on pragmatic solutions for the future, not trying to stem the flow of climate change and possibly making the situation worse for ourselves. It's inevitable, why attempt to fight against it.
Anti Christ

Minneapolis, MN

#42237 Dec 28, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
There may be a Supreme Being.
The evidence is overwhelming, you just choose to "Deny" it's existence.
There is a clear "Consensus" among the experts about this.
"98%" agree.
Everything that has been "Predicted/Forecast/Proje cted/Suggested" has come true.
It is a "Fact" 'for all intent and purposes'.
You lack the "education" to be able to see it.
Your "political" perspective is influencing your thinking.
If we do not change our ways, repent and make sacrifices the consequences will "Likely" be terrible.
We are born with the evil within that is capable of destroying the world for we exhale over a ton each year.

And finally...
YOU ARE AN IDIOT simply because you disagree with the current orthodoxy.

OH WAIT, this thread is about the AGW.

Hummm... the reasoning for GOD and AGW appear to be the same.

OK. I'm still on topic cuz it works for both. Carry on.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#42239 Dec 28, 2013
Xetra wrote:
Change is the nature of life. We adapt. We should be concentrating our efforts on pragmatic solutions for the future, not trying to stem the flow of climate change and possibly making the situation worse for ourselves. It's inevitable, why attempt to fight against it.
The other possibility is that we die.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#42240 Dec 28, 2013
Anti Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
"98%" agree.
Everything that has been "Predicted/Forecast/Proje cted/Suggested" has come true.
If we do not change our ways, repent and make sacrifices the consequences will "Likely" be terrible.
We are born with the evil within that is capable of destroying the world for we exhale over a ton each year.
And finally...
Which subject are you on? Have you gotten confused? Are you trying to make some sort of argument?
Anti Christ

Minneapolis, MN

#42241 Dec 28, 2013
Anti Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
"98%" agree.
And finally...
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Which subject are you on?
Well Mississippi Perv; the simple fact that you needed to ask the question proves the point that:*'belief' in GOD and AGW are grounded in the same unproven and/or unprovable principles.

*both are religious dogma
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#42242 Dec 28, 2013
Anti Christ wrote:
Anti Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
a ton each year.
And finally...
<quoted text>
Well Mississippi Perv; the simple fact that you needed to ask the question proves the point that:*'belief' in GOD and AGW are grounded in the same unproven and/or unprovable principles.

*both are religious dogma
So my mission, should I decide to accept it, is to convert you from GOD to AGW.

Man, I have my work cut out for me.

For one thing, I'm dealing with at least four different personalities here, and converting all four may be rather difficult. There's a sciencey one, and a Bible-thumper, and there's two that just seem to drift and curse. And all of them have had some rather serious failure of thought or other at one time or the other.

Well, non-believers have become Jews, married men have become monks, and a little Negro boy from Detroit grew up to be a rich white woman, so I guess you can be converted.

It's just a matter of changing allegiance from one mindless dogma to a dogma that is MINDFUL. Nothing to it! I did it years ago. Based on those same unproven and/or unprovable principles, which you have yet to refute.

My sermon follows....

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#42244 Dec 28, 2013
Some deniers on here constantly amaze me, trying to tie climate change alarm as a religion, based on a belief without foundation. The same religious based paranoia that was around when science declared the earth was not the centre of the universe. The scientists then were called devil worshippers, very easy to see a parallel in thinking here.
joey

United States

#42246 Dec 28, 2013
In 2013 more record cold days were recorded than any other year. Hey Al Gore that global warming is a real b!tch ain't it.
Anti Christ

Minneapolis, MN

#42247 Dec 28, 2013
Fact:

Remove 1 Itsy Bitsy CO2 molecule from every 10,000 air molecules and this debate would end. God you're such a bunch of gullible hillbillies. You all remind me of G. W. Bush... That's an insult for those who lack the mental acuity to discern the obvious.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#42248 Dec 28, 2013
Anti Christ wrote:
Fact:
Remove 1 Itsy Bitsy CO2 molecule from every 10,000 air molecules and this debate would end. God you're such a bunch of gullible hillbillies. You all remind me of G. W. Bush... That's an insult for those who lack the mental acuity to discern the obvious.
Sock puppet?
dont drink the koolaid wrote:
Fact:
Just remove 1 single Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie CO2 molecule from every 10,000 molecules of air and this debate would end.
Be warm and safe this new year,
~koolaid
Fact:

Just one less Potassium molecule in every 10,000 molecules of blood and the patient wouldn't be dead.

A doctor would need to know this.

An ignorant man would think the small number meant the effect would be insignificant.

You wouldn't listen to the ignorant man when your health was at stake (or, if you did, you'd be dead).

Don't listen to the ignorant man when the health of the planet is at stake.

"the green troll"

#42249 Dec 28, 2013
joey wrote:
In 2013 more record cold days were recorded than any other year. Hey Al Gore that global warming is a real b!tch ain't it.
Climate shift, caused by global warming.

litesong

Everett, WA

#42250 Dec 29, 2013
[QUOTE who="lyin' brian"]What part of the Scientific Method don't you understand?[/QUOTE]

"lyin' brian" repeats the first heading of its fifth grade science book, because everything was blank after that.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#42251 Dec 29, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
Small mistakes and typos don't make the overall science wrong.
The Earth is still warming, we are causing it, and there are things we can do about it.
Global Warming Activists Stumped by New Claims that Earth Is Actually Cooling
Posted by TNO Staff— on September 8, 20130 Comment
icecapstoryA new leaked report to the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)—a body which was the source of the original “global warming” claims—has said that new evidence shows that the earth is actually cooling down rather than heating up.
The new report not only directly contradicts all the previous reports, but also makes a mockery of the huge taxes and “carbon footprint” industry which sprang up around the “global warming” scare of the last few years.
According to the report, there has been a 60 percent increase in the amount of ocean covered with ice compared to this time last year, the equivalent of almost a million square miles.
In a rebound from 2012&#8242;s record low, an unbroken ice sheet more than half the size of Europe already stretches from the Canadian islands to Russia’s northern shores, days before the annual re-freeze is even set to begin.
The Northwest Passage from the Atlantic to the Pacific has remained blocked by pack-ice all year, forcing some ships to change their routes.
The report has led some scientists to claim that the world is heading for a period of cooling that will not end until the middle of this century.
If correct, it would contradict computer forecasts of imminent catastrophic warming. The news comes several years after it was predicted that the Arctic would be ice-free by 2013.
The original predictions led to billions being invested in green measures to combat the effects of climate change.
The change in the predictions has led to UN’s climate change’s body holding a crisis meeting, and the IPCC was due to report on the situation in October. A pre-summit meeting will be held later this month.
But leaked documents show that governments who fund the IPCC are demanding 1,500 changes to the Fifth Assessment Report—a three-volume study issued every six or seven years—as they claim its current draft does not properly explain the pause.
The extent to which temperatures will rise with carbon dioxide levels, as well as how much of the warming over the past 150 year, a total of 0.8C, is down to human greenhouse gas emissions, are key issues.
The IPCC says it is “95 percent confident” that global warming has been caused by humans—up from 90 percent in 2007—according to the draft report.
However, US climate expert Professor Judith Curry has questioned how this can be true as that rather than increasing in confidence,“uncertainty is getting bigger” within the academic community.
Long-term cycles in ocean temperature, she said, suggest the world may be approaching a period similar to that from 1965 to 1975, when there was a clear cooling trend.
At the time some scientists forecast an imminent ice age.

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#42252 Dec 29, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
The other possibility is that we die.
Possible, of course, but I think likely not. There have been significant planetwide changes and catacyclsms before ...ice ages, continental shifts, severe volcanic eruptions... and the human race has survived and prolifigated.
dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

#42253 Dec 29, 2013
Fact:

One thing Man has NOT experienced is "runaway Global Warning"

"the green troll"

#42254 Dec 29, 2013
dont drink the koolaid wrote:
Fact:
One thing Man has NOT experienced is "runaway Global Warning"
No, we weren't around for that before.

http://www.greenmanstudio.com/wardco2big.jpg
dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

#42255 Dec 29, 2013
Fact:

One thing the planet has NOT experienced is "runaway Global Warming"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US House of Representatives Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 min Truth is might 199,170
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 hr IND 228,389
News 50 dead in Florida nightclub shooting, worst in... 2 hr crucifiedguy 1,235
News Dueling groups to rally at Confederate landmark 4 hr LarryV 2,004
News News 28 Mins Ago 'Not the America we want': Oba... 4 hr OK Barry 248
News Democrats stage sit-in, shut down chamber overa 5 hr huey goins 31
News Rebellious Democrats disrupt House, stage protest 5 hr Cat74 224
More from around the web