Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 62347 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

SpaceBlues

Melmore, OH

#31341 Jul 7, 2012
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
More heat records have been broken this year thus far in the USA than any similar period in the thirties. Even old Anthony can't spin that away.
Ya but he he still uses Goddard, rip!

kal is here to cover up his town's polluted state. I wonder why.

http://www.clrsearch.com/West_Richland_Demogr...

It's all that CO that he likes so much!

P.S. CO not CO2.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#31342 Jul 7, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>How about this pole shift hockey stick graph:
http://thewatchers.adorraeli.com/wp-content/u...
And you believe this one! Where is old Anthony. I'll bet he could spin that away. All that aside, what does this have to do with the jet stream?
Northie

Spokane, WA

#31343 Jul 7, 2012
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
You're correct - but no need to even go there.
Academic studies of what might be done nothwithstanding, with a US federal Government right now extracting 6% of GDP more than we can afford out of the economy at the point of a gun and spending it on all manner of foolishness as it is, this 1% Northie wants to re-direct into what may prove vain attempts to put the present climate into stasis simply isn't available - it doesn't exist.
The US federal government has already spent it for this year - six times over.
Looks like we won't have that 1% available next year, either because Uncle's going to get to it first. Or the year after that ...
First things first.
If Northie & friends want that 1% of GDP to so planet-saving stuff, they first have to specify what economic activities making up 1% of GDP we're NOT going to do anymore. AND then they have to be willing to answer for who gets hurt because of that.
And no one thus far - McKinsey or anyone else - has done that.
Because that's the hard part.
The easy changes in economic activity to reduce GHG emissions - energy conservation, etc.- all come about automatically thru the operation of normal economic forces over time. No scary memes or Global Warming boogeymen or Al Bore roadshows or AGW propaganda required.
The hard ones - the changes that must be COERCED by exercise of POLICE POWER - might cut GHG emissions, but they also by definition WILL HURT SOME PEOPLE. And someone has to be willing to answer for that damage - and be willing to COMPENSATE those being hurt for the "greater good of the planet" as part of that 1% of GDP.
I didn't see socioeconomic justice compensation included in McKinsey's calculations of their 1% of GDP ...
What a wingnut. First, you crazies insisted that saving the climate would mean a return to the stone age. Now that credible, expert cost estimates show the whole thing can be done for around 1% of GDP, you insist that even that would bring on a police state. Ignorance on top of idiocy.

The world is now handing around 10% of global GDP to the financial industry, free and clear. That may well increase as Germany and other Northern European nations bail out fraudulent Spanish, Italian and Irish banks that cooked their books fifteen years ago to gain entry to the EU--all of which occurred under a wave of deregulation, abetted by American and British banks. Now the same right-wing fringies who applauded that disaster are gnashing their teeth over spending a tenth as much to prevent a far larger economic and social calamity due to destruction of the climate?

News flash: the US is already leading the world in reducing emissions, and it is actually boosting economic activity that would otherwise be even worse than it is. The reason is the move off of coal to natural gas, which will have knock-on benefits across the entire nation, from energy independence to lower health costs to less climate damage. That trend will only continue as the nation develops solar and nuclear sources, and controls the energy waste of suburban sprawl. We're already on the right track, and none of us had to move to caves.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#31344 Jul 7, 2012
Pole shift/jet stream correlation has yet to be decided:
http://sincedutch.files.wordpress.com/2012/01...
Meanwhile, DumBozo thinks "it is just another whacko rant."

#31345 Jul 7, 2012
DumBozo wrote:
And you believe this one!
Where did I say I "believe this one," grandpaw?

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

#31346 Jul 7, 2012
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
What I find is references to the fact that the magnetic pole is shifting. Nothing scientifically solid to correlate changes in the jet stream pattern except some writings of psychics like Edgar Cayce or others. The Earth's magnetic poles have flipped in the past and are moving with respect to the geographic pole. I think it is just another whacko rant.
actually there was a shift in some of the jet stream patterns just recently. There's a jet stream that circles the Artic region. These past couple of years, with less ice, that jet stream dipped down into the central states. It brought with it colder weather and more snow. It also brought colder air that met up with warm moist air from the Gulf, resulting in more severe thunderstorms, tornadoes etc.

Location hidden

#31347 Jul 7, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
Pole shift/jet stream correlation has yet to be decided:
http://sincedutch.files.wordpress.com/2012/01...
Meanwhile, DumBozo thinks "it is just another whacko rant."
So that is how you do your science. If something suits your rants, jump on board before the idea has been supported. LOL

From the site, "you can clearly see the area in question (siberia russia) becoming the new center of rotation for the entire northern hemisphere."

Completely clueless. The geographic north pole, the area which is determined by the rotation of the Earth is at 90.00 deg North latitude. Now the direction that it points to in relationship with the cosmos may change. The Earth does not rotate about the magnetic north pole ant the present time and rarely does.

So much for that! Better stick with correcting spelling.

#31348 Jul 7, 2012
Karma is a_______ wrote:
actually there was a shift in some of the jet stream patterns just recently. There's a jet stream that circles the Artic region. These past couple of years, with less ice, that jet stream dipped down into the central states. It brought with it colder weather and more snow. It also brought colder air that met up with warm moist air from the Gulf, resulting in more severe thunderstorms, tornadoes etc.
Here's an interesting page on the subject, it contains a cleverly made explanatory video:
1/11/2012 — North pole shifts towards Siberia — warmer latitudes have shifted NW
http://sincedutch.wordpress.com/2012/01/11/11...

Elmont, Long Island NY

#31349 Jul 7, 2012
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
So that is how you do your science. If something suits your rants, jump on board before the idea has been supported. LOL
From the site, "you can clearly see the area in question (siberia russia) becoming the new center of rotation for the entire northern hemisphere."
Completely clueless. The geographic north pole, the area which is determined by the rotation of the Earth is at 90.00 deg North latitude. Now the direction that it points to in relationship with the cosmos may change. The Earth does not rotate about the magnetic north pole ant the present time and rarely does.
what's probably more important is the tilt of the Earth's axis...which has been known to shift through the millenia

#31350 Jul 7, 2012
DumBozo wrote:
Which part of "Pole shift/jet stream correlation has yet to be decided" didn't you understand, grandpaw?

Elmont, Long Island NY

#31351 Jul 7, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Here's an interesting page on the subject, it contains a cleverly made explanatory video:
1/11/2012 — North pole shifts towards Siberia — warmer latitudes have shifted NW
http://sincedutch.wordpress.com/2012/01/11/11...
the magnetic poles have been moving for millenia. which is why on topographic maps, you have a line for magnetic north and another line of how much that changes over a year. You can then figure out your heading by knowing when the map was made, what year you are in now and the delta/year

I doubt the movement of the magnetic north pole has any effect on the jet streams, unless it is related to the Van Allen Radiation Belts and how much sun radiation is deflected by the Earth's magnetic field. I would be more concerned about a weakening of the Earth's magnetic field than a slight shift in its physical location
Teddy R

Canada

#31352 Jul 7, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>How about this pole shift hockey stick graph:
http://thewatchers.adorraeli.com/wp-content/u...
Hey! I've seen that hockey stick before! Interesting.

Has anyone calculated the correlation with the avg global temp since 1900?

What's the r-squared?

Location hidden

#31353 Jul 7, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Which part of "Pole shift/jet stream correlation has yet to be decided" didn't you understand, grandpaw?
I am glad that you understand that there is no correlation between magnetic pole shift and the jet stream.

#31354 Jul 7, 2012
Karma is a_______ wrote:
the magnetic poles have been moving for millenia[sic]. which is why on topographic maps, you have a line for magnetic north and another line of how much that changes over a year. You can then figure out your heading by knowing when the map was made, what year you are in now and the delta/year
I learned that stuff when studying for a PPL.
Karma is a_______ wrote:
I doubt the movement of the magnetic north pole has any effect on the jet streams, unless it is related to the Van Allen Radiation Belts and how much sun radiation is deflected by the Earth's magnetic field. I would be more concerned about a weakening of the Earth's magnetic field than a slight shift in its physical location
As much as Bozo would like to believe, I don't have any theories on the subject.
AFAIC, it's interesting stuff.
kal

Richland, WA

#31355 Jul 7, 2012
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
More heat records have been broken this year thus far in the USA than any similar period in the thirties. Even old Anthony can't spin that away.
oh yes 'bozo', anthony knows all about that.

http://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/2012/07/06...
Teddy R

Canada

#31356 Jul 7, 2012
Northie wrote:
<quoted text>
News flash: the US is already leading the world in reducing emissions, and it is actually boosting economic activity that would otherwise be even worse than it is. The reason is the move off of coal to natural gas, which will have knock-on benefits across the entire nation, from energy independence to lower health costs to less climate damage. That trend will only continue as the nation develops solar and nuclear sources, and controls the energy waste of suburban sprawl. We're already on the right track, and none of us had to move to caves.
Precisely.

And all without need of your jeremiads and AGW monster movies and coercive meddling by the State, either.

Amazing what free people can accomplish when you just keep the progressive meddlers' and government bureaucrats' hands off the levers of power.

#31357 Jul 7, 2012
DumBozo wrote:
I am glad that you understand that there is no correlation between magnetic pole shift and the jet stream.
I'm glad that you managed to work out what I wrote, even if it did take two goes.

Location hidden

#31358 Jul 7, 2012
Old Earthy lurks around until he things some one has drawn blood then comes in for the kill. He is usually easily flicked off with a little finger but continues to buzz around. Need a flyswatter.
Teddy R

Canada

#31359 Jul 7, 2012
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh, no. Not exactly.

http://hpiers.obspm.fr/

Topix amateur "scientist," heal thyself.

Location hidden

#31360 Jul 7, 2012
kal wrote:
<quoted text>oh yes 'bozo', anthony knows all about that.
http://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/2012/07/06...
I had no doubt that old Anthony and friends could spin it. But it is a fact, more maximum records have been broken so far this year in the USA than ever before in our records.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US House of Representatives Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 7 min Injudgement 253,491
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 10 min scientia potentia... 216,898
News Congressman plans to introduce national conceal... 13 min petrol 12
News DNC Chair Frontrunner Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Min... 46 min petrol 30
News Donald Trump picks fight with Carrier steelwork... 1 hr Ghost 19
News Los Angeles County officials push back against ... 2 hr Kiss2593 3
News Pence after Carrier deal: Trump is 'a champion ... 2 hr Lick6432 29
More from around the web