Sunday's column: Coming soon to Va. -...

Sunday's column: Coming soon to Va. -- concealed carry in bars

There are 9 comments on the Roanoke Times story from Apr 16, 2010, titled Sunday's column: Coming soon to Va. -- concealed carry in bars. In it, Roanoke Times reports that:

This column originally ran June 21, 2009. Since then, Bob McDonnell was elected governor, a restaurant smoking ban has taken effect and concealed-carry-in-bars legislation passed the Virginia legislature.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Roanoke Times.

Sharkey

Chelsea, MI

#1 Apr 16, 2010
OH MY GOD! Someone is taking pictures of a BB gun sitting with a bottle of cooking sherry!!!

Won't someone PLEASE think of the children!!!!!!
just candid

AOL

#2 Apr 16, 2010
When people think you may have a firearm in you purse or jacket, they tend to be a tad more polite. O>:~)
Watchdog 71D

Orlando, FL

#3 Apr 16, 2010
Sharkey wrote:
OH MY GOD! Someone is taking pictures of a BB gun sitting with a bottle of cooking sherry!!!
Won't someone PLEASE think of the children!!!!!!
Really now, who drinks sherry?

And a "marksman" bb gun? Gee, buy a daisy or a crossman.

GPM

“DILLIGAF?”

Since: Aug 08

San Antonio, TX

#4 Apr 16, 2010
"Absent airport-style metal detectors at bars, the proviso that pistol-hiding diners not drink is laughably unenforceable."
So are all laws. You can't stop anyone from breaking them. You can only punish those who do. As to drinking, why do these people think that carrying into a restaurant is going to make someone who could, but doesn't, drink at home or with friends while carrying? There are no supporting police stats to show that CCW holders do so now. What is laughable is to think that they will suddenly become out of control drunks if they go for supper at a place that serves booze.

"I don't quite understand why anyone would want to carry a concealed weapon into a bar. Open carry already is allowed, though restaurateurs often ask those people to leave.(Maybe that's why gun owners want to hide them.)"

Right. I'll bet this author also whined about open carry and 'how easy it is for a drunk to grab it from another patron' before the law changed. I'd think that this idiot would be in support of people covering up their firearms so as not to pose a grab threat.
Liberalism is a mental disorder. It seems to be some form of dementia.
Jay

New York, NY

#5 Apr 16, 2010
GPM wrote:
"Absent airport-style metal detectors at bars, the proviso that pistol-hiding diners not drink is laughably unenforceable."
So are all laws. You can't stop anyone from breaking them. You can only punish those who do. As to drinking, why do these people think that carrying into a restaurant is going to make someone who could, but doesn't, drink at home or with friends while carrying? There are no supporting police stats to show that CCW holders do so now. What is laughable is to think that they will suddenly become out of control drunks if they go for supper at a place that serves booze.
"I don't quite understand why anyone would want to carry a concealed weapon into a bar. Open carry already is allowed, though restaurateurs often ask those people to leave.(Maybe that's why gun owners want to hide them.)"
Right. I'll bet this author also whined about open carry and 'how easy it is for a drunk to grab it from another patron' before the law changed. I'd think that this idiot would be in support of people covering up their firearms so as not to pose a grab threat.
Liberalism is a mental disorder. It seems to be some form of dementia.
Open bar carry still can allow the owner to kick you out if he/she does not allow it. And, I really do not want people eyeing on me and calling the cops everytime they see a gun visible. That is why I prefer concealed carry. Out of sight, out of mind. And, I do not drink while carrying a gun.

GPM

“DILLIGAF?”

San Antonio, TX

#6 Apr 16, 2010
I agree Jay. (Que insane rant from Tory II)

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#7 Apr 17, 2010
You have the same tone and style of an antigun nut. Don't blame me because you sound like one, blame yourself.

I, unlike most others here, know all about your subliminal tactics.

And many folks who say they don't drink and carry could be telling a lie. Myself, I know that an armed drunk is just as harmless as an armed sober person. And or conceal/carry people really don't get that drunk anyway. In Alaska where conceal/carry is legal, everyone drinks heavy to combat their northern exposure (to fight depression). And only an idiot would leave their .44magnum at home while bar hopping in grizzly country. Grizzlies readily attack drunks (because of their wobble).

“Non smoking freedom loving vet”

Since: Apr 08

Chicago

#8 Apr 17, 2010
Since this ended up on the "smoking" forum, it will make enforcement of any smoking bans in bars more difficult.

GPM

“DILLIGAF?”

San Antonio, TX

#9 Apr 17, 2010
generalsn1234567 wrote:
Since this ended up on the "smoking" forum, it will make enforcement of any smoking bans in bars more difficult.
I disagree. Law-abiding permit holders are as likely to draw on someone enforcing the smoking ban as Elvis of giving a new live concert. Criminals, on the other hand, will do as they please regardless of the laws you pass.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tim Kaine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News the Suck-Up Begins Dems race to back an unannou... (Dec '14) Jan '15 Billy Ringo 70
News Effort to recognize Virginia tribe draws ire (Nov '14) Dec '14 El oh El 20
News Dave Bratt with Laura Ingraham (May '14) May '14 stopracismagainst 1
News Va. Senator Says He'll Back Hillary Clinton (May '14) May '14 Le Jimbo 99
annette marion, senator kaine cpms chargedw/eld... (Mar '14) Mar '14 SENATOR KAINE ELD... 1
News Washington watch: AIPAC - Whose lobby is it? (Mar '14) Mar '14 Reza June 1
News Iran sanctions opponents go nuts (Jan '14) Jan '14 iran says 3
More from around the web