Sanford Bishop to Sonny Perdue: 'I did the right thing, thanks for your concern'

Mar 23, 2010 | Posted by: SeminoleJack | Full story: blogs.ajc.com

U.S. Rep. Sanford Bishop (D-Albany) replies to Sonny Perdue.

Comments
1 - 20 of 56 Comments Last updated Apr 3, 2010
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Aug 07

Donalsonville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Mar 23, 2010
 
Says Bishop:
"When I cast my vote, I was not thinking about political considerations. I was thinking about those Georgia residents who are denied health insurance because of pre-existing conditions like cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. I was thinking about those Georgia residents who cannot afford to pay their health insurance premiums because their premiums have risen 6.4 times faster than their median wages over the last decade.

I was thinking about the more than one in three Georgia residents under the age of 65 (or 34%) who were uninsured for one month or more during 2007-2008. I was thinking about those Georgia senior citizens who cannot afford their prescription drugs because they fall into the Medicare Part D ďdonut hole.Ē And I was thinking about the fact that Georgia continues to rank near the bottom in terms of the health of its citizens. For these people and for millions of Americans like them, I decided to support the health reform legislation."

He's my hero... try to get health insurance, when you have high BP and diabetes and are 50 years old!
He saved MY life with this vote... and that's what matters to me and a lot of other people like me.
It only ticks off the idiots who believe the Republicans who are controlled by the donations of the insurance companies and drug manufacturers.
Get a grip fools!
YOU WILL SEE IT BENEFIT EVEN YOU!
Suggestion

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Mar 23, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Why not let the people that need the health benefits for it themselves through a special sales tax. The US should tax cigarettes, alcohol, soft drinks, candy, snack/fattening foods to pay for this socialized healthcare. The poorest people are the unhealthiest and make poor decisions in their social habits. It always cracks me up to see the shopping carts of welfare recipients at the grocery store. People complain about not having enough money for health insurance, but what if they put their cigarette, cell phone bills, lotto money into a health savings account or buy insurance. I dont need anymore of my income going to pay for other people's interests. People complain about no money for college when at the same time welfare people's tax (lottery) paid for all my college tuition.
Amused

Leesburg, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Mar 23, 2010
 
I somewhat agree with both sides on this issue. People with existing health issues SHOULD be able to get health insurance. On the other hand, why can't health insurance work like auto insurance, ie. you drive safely and have no accidents your rates drop. If you take care of your health and do not run to the doctor everytime you sneeze, you SHOULD be rewarded with better rates. My health inusrance premium is the same as someone who goes to the doctor every week and has surgery and hospital stays several times a year and I can count on one hand the number of times I've been to the doctor in the last 15 years (thank you Lord). Would you want to pay the same car insurance premium as someone with 3 DUI's, 15 speeding tickets and 4 accidents? I think not. If it were not for my employer paying the majority of the premium, I wouldn't even be able to afford health insurance. My child is another story though, to cover her on my insurance would cost me over $1,000 per month...can't do that, BUT the household has just a fraction too much income to qualify for Peachcare. According to this law, it won't be long before I am REQUIRED to take insurance on her or be fined. The again, it will be good that we'll both have insurance, because we won't be able to afford to eat and sustain our health!!! That my friends, is a load bull crap.
Suggestion

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Mar 23, 2010
 
The insurance companies are not making a killing! Obama says that some companies made record profits last year. Do you realize their margin for profit is 2-3%. Who would want to buy a business with a margin that low?? The biggest problem with this country is people eat too much, have bad habits, and sit on their asses too much. I eat healthy have one mixed drink per night and work out 4 times a day. And did you know the government regulates the number of health insurance companies?? If they were making a big profit, why arent there more of them?? Because the government has its hand in the regulation. They should open the market up and let new companies start. I agree witt the above comments about the comparison to auto insurances. The problem with that is noone that is sick could afford it, so everyone has to pitch in. The quality of health care is also about to go down also. When the profits go away, the strive to do a good job likewise goes away. If anyone thinks that doctors are making a killing they are wrong also, and now the pay is going to get even worse. The smart college graduates wont be applying to med school anymore thats for sure.
Amused

Leesburg, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Mar 23, 2010
 
Suggestion wrote:
The insurance companies are not making a killing! Obama says that some companies made record profits last year. Do you realize their margin for profit is 2-3%. Who would want to buy a business with a margin that low?? The biggest problem with this country is people eat too much, have bad habits, and sit on their asses too much. I eat healthy have one mixed drink per night and work out 4 times a day. And did you know the government regulates the number of health insurance companies?? If they were making a big profit, why arent there more of them?? Because the government has its hand in the regulation. They should open the market up and let new companies start. I agree witt the above comments about the comparison to auto insurances. The problem with that is noone that is sick could afford it, so everyone has to pitch in. The quality of health care is also about to go down also. When the profits go away, the strive to do a good job likewise goes away. If anyone thinks that doctors are making a killing they are wrong also, and now the pay is going to get even worse. The smart college graduates wont be applying to med school anymore thats for sure.
Well, one thing is for sure, I don't see very many insurance agents OR doctors being driven into poverty by the cost of THEIR health insurance premiums. Bet not many of them are getting their homes foreclosed upon either. If there isn't very much profit margin involved, why would anyone want to open up a NEW insurance company?? Just MORE bull crap.
Hershall

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Mar 23, 2010
 
he signed the bill because he is black and so is obummer.black people stick together.iF it were a bill saying all white people are going to be GASSED, if obummer told him to sign it, HE WOULD
Inquisitor

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Mar 23, 2010
 
You forget the fact that GEORGIA didnít WANT Government CONTROLLED Healthcare. You forget that it is the Citizen who should decide what path the government takes and not Beaurocratic hotheads that control the government. And it isnít like our American dream isnít being lived out in each and every household in the nation. America is the only country in the world where our poor can be fat. It isnít opportunity deprivation that keeps these people from the ability to pay for Healthcare, its mental capacity and the amount of laziness in their system. But, to be honest, itís not the Healthcare bill that eats away at my nerves; but instead itís the fact that OUR Government who WE employ feels that it has the power and ability to ignore its citizens and do what it pleases. Anyone who argues that people agree with the direction our country is turning should pay attention to presidential approval polls.

“Conservative not Republican”

Since: Mar 09

Myrtle Beach, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Mar 23, 2010
 
SeminoleJack wrote:
Says Bishop:

YOU WILL SEE IT BENEFIT EVEN YOU!
Time will prove you wrong SJ. Everything that the Fed Govt. controls fails miserably.
The Minority got what they think they wanted, Again.
Be careful what you wish for.

“Conservative not Republican”

Since: Mar 09

Myrtle Beach, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Mar 23, 2010
 
Most don't realize that Health Insurance companies on average only manage a 2% profit. They have been demonized and much of the public has taken the propaganda hook, line, and sinker. The reason that they have raised their rates is to maintain that 2% profit. Claims have soared. Doctors and medical facilities pay an extremely high rate for Malpractice insurance (That is why Tort Reform is Needed) The Cost of MP Ins., Non-Paying patients, rising cost of medical equipment, medications and other medical supplies are all passed on to Health insurance companies in the claims. The insurers are struggling to keep their noses above water. Prescription Drug companies and Medical Equipment companies are creating the real profits. Control Malpractice suits and the profits of suppliers and you are on a more effective path to reform.
Suggestion

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Mar 24, 2010
 
And I know of one surgeon in the area that had has house foreclosed before it was even finished. Its not a glorious life style like it used to be. Trust me on this one

Since: Oct 08

Albany, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Mar 24, 2010
 
Our Attorney General, Thurbert Baker, is now a traitor, too.
Johnson

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Mar 24, 2010
 
Hershall wrote:
he signed the bill because he is black and so is obummer.black people stick together.iF it were a bill saying all white people are going to be GASSED, if obummer told him to sign it, HE WOULD
He may be "obummer" to you, but he's still your president. So while you are being disrespectful toward his name, until you move to either Canada, Russia, China, Mexico, etc., He's still your PRESIDENT!!!! These types of comments would come from paulding cty.
Dammit Boy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Mar 24, 2010
 
Johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
He may be "obummer" to you, but he's still your president. So while you are being disrespectful toward his name, until you move to either Canada, Russia, China, Mexico, etc., He's still your PRESIDENT!!!! These types of comments would come from paulding cty.
The topic is about Sambow Bishop, and guess what, his ass is gone this year. He is no more than an ass-eater for profit, and could give a shit less about people in Georgia, damn him!
50cent

Gibson, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Mar 25, 2010
 
November is right around the corner, we the people will decide on the fate of Sanford Bishop

Sanford Bishop voted for the trillion dollar stimulus package , you know the one that Obama and Bishop said if passed the unemployment rate wouldnít rise over 8 1/2 percent

He voted for cap and trade bill which when it kicks in will double your electric bill

And now the healthcare bill, the one that has all the back room deals and no one wanted
Vodka

Douglas, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Mar 25, 2010
 
I think I'll just move to Russia.
50cent

Gibson, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Mar 27, 2010
 
Sanford Bishop meet you successor http://www.mikekeown.com/
mixed up

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Mar 27, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Mallory64 wrote:
Our Attorney General, Thurbert Baker, is now a traitor, too.
thurbert is a upstanding man.He knows obama and wants the best for the citizens.NOONE SHOULD DOUBT OBAMA.HE IS GOING TO CHANGE AMERICA.ALL THE BLACK EPOPLE ARE GOING TO TAKE OVER and run things AWHILE
Belial

Bainbridge, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Mar 27, 2010
 
You frigging redneck people are insane.
SeminoleJack

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Mar 28, 2010
 
Turk Myrtle Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Time will prove you wrong SJ. Everything that the Fed Govt. controls fails miserably.
The Minority got what they think they wanted, Again.
Be careful what you wish for.
Why do you say "Minority" ? Obama won the election and this health care reform was a prominent part of his platform.
He got the "MAJORITY" of votes, that's why he is president.
Both Houses of Congress are democrats, because a majority of people voted for them. So now the majority got what it wanted and that's the democratic way of doing things. Do you have a problem with this process?
You also say " Everything that the Fed Govt. controls fails miserably." I don't think so, does the IRS not do a fine job collecting taxes every year, and spitting our refund checks in a timely fashion? Does Social Security not provide millions with a timely check every month? Well, FEMA, fvcked up, but that was under the mismanagement of a Bush appointee. They have done a fine job here in Decatur county during the floods.
All in all, the FEDs aren't doing such a bad job over the years.
I cannot think of one "miserable failure" aside from the FEMA disaster (no pun intended), can you?

“Conservative not Republican”

Since: Mar 09

Myrtle Beach, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Mar 28, 2010
 
Only a minority wanted gov. takeover of the healthcare system. That was evident in the polls. The polls in November will make it more evident.

If you think that the federal Govt does a good job handling anything then there is no point in my communicating further with you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••