Mayors ask governor to veto tax freeze

Mayors ask governor to veto tax freeze

There are 20 comments on the Florida Times-Union story from Apr 28, 2009, titled Mayors ask governor to veto tax freeze. In it, Florida Times-Union reports that:

The mayors of Kingsland, St. Marys and Woodbine have asked Gov. Sonny Perdue to veto legislation establishing a referendum in which voters could choose to freeze the taxable values of homestead property in their cities.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Florida Times-Union.

Sheepdog

North Anson, ME

#1 Apr 29, 2009
Thank God for Senator Jeff Chapman! He was not appointed by the mayors or commissioners but elected by the citizens and he is trying to help us get control of our real estate assessments. Most of the local elected officials have been racing toward adding infrasture (water, sewer, roads, etc.) to our communities some of which was desperately needed but then they went way too far. If you need to add one million gallons of capacity then surely four million gallons a day would be great, right? Wrong! Local governments have over spent, planning for way too many people to move in and now development has stopped or is moving at a snale's pace. Local governments have added staff in the anticipation of large growth and now we are stuck with huge expenses and dwindling revenues. Many of the elected officials first choice is to increase taxes because revenues are way down. To compound the problem the tax assessors are raising our values while the real estate markets plummit. Thanks to Senator Jeff Chapman and his bill we can freeze the assessed values and make our elected officials show us when they increase our taxes instead of hiding behind a higher assessed value to get those additional taxes. At least we will know who to vote against when our elected work in the dark.

Please Governor Purdue, sign that Chapman Bill. He represents us and so do you. You were not appointed by the mayors and commissioners either. We voted for you and we want to vote again in November on a resolution to freeze our assessed values. Let us choose for ourselves, these are our towns and county and we will choose rightly!
sandy feller

United States

#2 Apr 30, 2009
please keep in mind that these bills shift too big a portion of the cost of govt to business and rentors. see my postings on www.camdenganews.com question, do you think fairness is a issue worthy of discussion?
Politics

Phillips, ME

#3 Apr 30, 2009
I agree with alot of what Sheepdog stated about how we got into this MESS. I also agree that taxpayers should be able to decipher who is actually RAISING taxes. But neither of the above will ever be achieved in our current environment.

But I differ on your stance about the Chapman bill. I too voted for Governor Perdue and feel he should honor the wishes of the Mayors and veto the Chapman bill.

I would be hesitant to thank God for the unfair legislation proposed by Chapman. He being the christian man that he professes to be, should also call the Governor on behalf of myself and others with like minded thoughts, who read and comprehended fully the devastation this bill will cause to commercial property owners and renters.

This area continues to purport that they support the mission of Kings Bay and they want to expand the missions. How could you possibly achieve this goal in community that does'nt offer affordable living to all.

GOVERNOR PERDUE DO THE DECENT THING AND VETO THE CHAPMAN LEGISLATION.

Since: Apr 09

United States

#4 Apr 30, 2009
Sheepdog wrote:
Thank God for Senator Jeff Chapman! He was not appointed by the mayors or commissioners but elected by the citizens and he is trying to help us get control of our real estate assessments. Most of the local elected officials have been racing toward adding infrasture (water, sewer, roads, etc.) to our communities some of which was desperately needed but then they went way too far. If you need to add one million gallons of capacity then surely four million gallons a day would be great, right? Wrong! Local governments have over spent, planning for way too many people to move in and now development has stopped or is moving at a snale's pace. Local governments have added staff in the anticipation of large growth and now we are stuck with huge expenses and dwindling revenues. Many of the elected officials first choice is to increase taxes because revenues are way down. To compound the problem the tax assessors are raising our values while the real estate markets plummit. Thanks to Senator Jeff Chapman and his bill we can freeze the assessed values and make our elected officials show us when they increase our taxes instead of hiding behind a higher assessed value to get those additional taxes. At least we will know who to vote against when our elected work in the dark.
Please Governor Purdue, sign that Chapman Bill. He represents us and so do you. You were not appointed by the mayors and commissioners either. We voted for you and we want to vote again in November on a resolution to freeze our assessed values. Let us choose for ourselves, these are our towns and county and we will choose rightly!
Here-Here! I say sign it, Sir!
Yoo

United States

#5 Apr 30, 2009
sandy feller wrote:
please keep in mind that these bills shift too big a portion of the cost of govt to business and rentors. see my postings on www.camdenganews.com question, do you think fairness is a issue worthy of discussion?
Most should go to renters.
Sheepdog

Norridgewock, ME

#6 Apr 30, 2009
Thanks for your insightful comments. I think the
Chapman bill is fair but it does not go far enough. I think we need additional legislation that would pick up the remaining property tax payers. Today our local governments are still pursuing the rapid growth syndrome neglecting the fact that too fast development causes more problems than it solves. It leaves all the citizens paying the huge spending of local government and getting nothing in return for the additional spending. Many of our local leaders haven't learned from their mistakes and worse than that they will make them again. Lets support Chapman's bill but also tell him to take care of the rest of our property owners as well. What do you think friends?
Jimmy

Norridgewock, ME

#7 Apr 30, 2009
If the property freeze legislation is SO bad then why do we have the same law for County and BOE residential property taxes. This legislation should be supported by all residential property owners. Remember it does not become law until voted on and passed by the voters in Nov09. Is the Mayor against a democratic vote? Let the people decide if the law, as written, is good for this community. It's our community. This isn't a dictatorship. Is the Mayor alittle afraid of a community vote on this issue? We should also support the same law for commercial property.
Marion

United States

#8 Apr 30, 2009
The Mayors were elected by the people. The Mayors are supposed to represent the people. As I have said before, I went to the meetings and the mayor of Kingsland and Woodbine did not attend. They as many others had an opportunity to rationalize their positions. The Mayor of St Marys did attend and during the meeting indicated he would support such legislation if the BOE did not straighten up. That is a paraphrase.I don't think Gov Perdue owes any favors to our mayors.
Politics

Phillips, ME

#9 May 1, 2009
I don't think Governor Perdue owes any favors to the ones purporting this legislation. The reason the Mayor of Woodbine and Kingsland did'nt attend the meeting is because those orchestrating this "Stein & Guy" lead everyone including the State Representative and Mayor of St. Marys to believe this was about St. Marys.

NO ONE ever ask the Mayors of the other municipalities their opinion, no one ask the other taxpayers for their opinion the bill was created and ran through the channels before anyone else became aware.

So in fairness before this legislation or any other legislation is submitted "Public Hearings" should be held. If this process would've been followed from the beginning you guys would'nt be saying after the fact the legilation should've included this or that.

So Jim Stein and Bert Guy can try to spin this anyway they desire but everyone with a brain and no hidden agenda understand quite well what is happening here.
sandy feller

United States

#10 May 1, 2009
Politics wrote:
I agree with alot of what Sheepdog stated about how we got into this MESS. I also agree that taxpayers should be able to decipher who is actually RAISING taxes. But neither of the above will ever be achieved in our current environment.
But I differ on your stance about the Chapman bill. I too voted for Governor Perdue and feel he should honor the wishes of the Mayors and veto the Chapman bill.
I would be hesitant to thank God for the unfair legislation proposed by Chapman. He being the christian man that he professes to be, should also call the Governor on behalf of myself and others with like minded thoughts, who read and comprehended fully the devastation this bill will cause to commercial property owners and renters.
This area continues to purport that they support the mission of Kings Bay and they want to expand the missions. How could you possibly achieve this goal in community that does'nt offer affordable living to all.
GOVERNOR PERDUE DO THE DECENT THING AND VETO THE CHAPMAN LEGISLATION.
read my two postings on the subject and see if you agree. www.camdenganews.com
Marion

United States

#11 May 1, 2009
Politics wrote:
I don't think Governor Perdue owes any favors to the ones purporting this legislation. The reason the Mayor of Woodbine and Kingsland did'nt attend the meeting is because those orchestrating this "Stein & Guy" lead everyone including the State Representative and Mayor of St. Marys to believe this was about St. Marys.
NO ONE ever ask the Mayors of the other municipalities their opinion, no one ask the other taxpayers for their opinion the bill was created and ran through the channels before anyone else became aware.
So in fairness before this legislation or any other legislation is submitted "Public Hearings" should be held. If this process would've been followed from the beginning you guys would'nt be saying after the fact the legilation should've included this or that.
So Jim Stein and Bert Guy can try to spin this anyway they desire but everyone with a brain and no hidden agenda understand quite well what is happening here.
Were you there?
Marion

United States

#12 May 1, 2009
sandy feller wrote:
<quoted text>read my two postings on the subject and see if you agree. www.camdenganews.com
I could assume you are against this bill.
Redneck

Anderson, CA

#13 May 3, 2009
Politics, you said:

"So in fairness before this legislation or any other legislation is submitted "Public Hearings" should be held. If this process would've been followed from the beginning you guys would'nt be saying after the fact the legilation should've included this or that."

If what Jimmy posted in a prior post is true then there is plenty of time, 6 months, to discuss this issue before voting to make Chapmans legislation the law.

At first glance I am for Chapmans legislation because it will force the city and county to actually vote to raise the millage rate to meet funding demands rather than just sitting back preening about how they haven't raised the rates when in actuality the increase in property values is the reason. Now when the public sees them raise rates they might start asking questions about whether some things in the budget are actually needed rather than just "nice to have."

I think six months is adequate for your side to work to educate the public on what is bad about this bill so they will vote "NO" in November.

JMO
Sheepdog

Norridgewock, ME

#14 May 3, 2009
I agree Redneck, let the public here the arguments and decide for ourselves. Don't let a governmor or mayors take our rights away, let us vote!
Emily

Phillips, ME

#15 May 4, 2009
Voters have proven time after time they lack good judgment in their decisions. Just look at who they put in office. Look at the E-SPLOST vote. Time and Time Again they fail to make good decisions. Look at the One Term Wonders St. Marys continues to put in office. If they were any good they would be re-elected. No this is better left to those who understand the impact on Knee-jerk legislation.
sandy feller

United States

#16 May 4, 2009
Marion wrote:
<quoted text>I could assume you are against this bill.
i believe my bill is fairer to all concerned. read the bill carefully. ask questions. with all due respect i think my bill is far superior to the one we are being offered. www.camdenganews.com
Sheepdog

Norridgewock, ME

#17 May 4, 2009
Emily wrote:
Voters have proven time after time they lack good judgment in their decisions. Just look at who they put in office. Look at the E-SPLOST vote. Time and Time Again they fail to make good decisions. Look at the One Term Wonders St. Marys continues to put in office. If they were any good they would be re-elected. No this is better left to those who understand the impact on Knee-jerk legislation.
It is true we don't vote with perfect knowledge. Most people don't have the time or access to be as informed as we need to be. At least at the local level we can meet and get to know the elected officials if we choose to.

ESPLOST passed by a narrow margin but at least the public got to vote. The School Board would have passed that legislation on their own if the law would have let them omit the public.

Who understands knee-jerk legislation better, those elected or those having to actually pay for the mistakes of the elected? Let us vote and then let opposing view points inform us. To do less than give us a chance to set our own destinies destroys our American freedoms.
Marion

United States

#18 May 4, 2009
Sheepdog wrote:
<quoted text>
It is true we don't vote with perfect knowledge. Most people don't have the time or access to be as informed as we need to be. At least at the local level we can meet and get to know the elected officials if we choose to.
ESPLOST passed by a narrow margin but at least the public got to vote. The School Board would have passed that legislation on their own if the law would have let them omit the public.
Who understands knee-jerk legislation better, those elected or those having to actually pay for the mistakes of the elected? Let us vote and then let opposing view points inform us. To do less than give us a chance to set our own destinies destroys our American freedoms.
Good Post!
Marion

United States

#19 May 4, 2009
sandy feller wrote:
<quoted text>i believe my bill is fairer to all concerned. read the bill carefully. ask questions. with all due respect i think my bill is far superior to the one we are being offered. www.camdenganews.com
Well Sandy here is my take. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. With all due respect, yours is an idea, maybe a proposed bill. I will vote for Chapman. Once your idea gets momentum I will consider it but I will not shove the Chapman bill aside for something that has not made it to the legislature. That does not mean what you have to say is invalid or bad.
sandy feller

United States

#20 May 5, 2009
Marion wrote:
<quoted text> Well Sandy here is my take. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. With all due respect, yours is an idea, maybe a proposed bill. I will vote for Chapman. Once your idea gets momentum I will consider it but I will not shove the Chapman bill aside for something that has not made it to the legislature. That does not mean what you have to say is invalid or bad.
thank you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sonny Perdue Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cagle promises 500,000 new jobs in Georgia gove... (Apr '17) Apr '17 anonymous 1
News Senate set to confirm Sonny Perdue as agricultu... (Apr '17) Apr '17 CodeTalker 2
News Senate panels advance Trump's picks for labor, ... (Mar '17) Mar '17 anonymous 1
News Lack of Latinos in Trump Cabinet draws ire for ... (Jan '17) Jan '17 Selling Damaged G... 1
News Fulton schools' abstinence-is-best sex ed curri... (Sep '15) Apr '16 hal 4
News New GA commissioner of driver services: "I'm no... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Mnurse 1
News Prison time for some Atlanta school educators i... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Go Blue Forever 1
More from around the web