The Civil War Is Over: Let The Battle Flag Be

Nov 24, 2011 Full story: Free Republic 4,023

Over the past several months, the NAACP has launched a campaign against the Confederate Battle Flag by protesting its presence at the South Carolina statehouse.

Full Story

Since: May 08

United States

#25 Nov 25, 2011
Too bad the Civil War over. We now have a very Uncivil War here on topix between all different ideas and I for one would welcome some civility.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#27 Nov 25, 2011
Mr 38357M wrote:
<quoted text>
The South and the North will rise again when they vote the Black BOY out.
With any luck, you might not live to see it.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#28 Nov 25, 2011
Mr 38357M wrote:
<quoted text>
The South and the North will rise again when they vote the Black BOY out.
How did Obama get into this conversation? Oh, I get it, you're a racist so convulsed with angst over the fact we have a “black” President, that you'll babble and drool over that no matter what is the topic.

I suppose you preferred a President who couldn't pronounce 3-syllable words nor conjugate English verbs... and let his oil-company Daddy's boy Cheney run the show, get us into a war with the wrong country, and complete the running of the country into the ground begun by Reagan... whom you probably loved, lol.

Turn off Fox News and read a book, halfwit, and not one written by Ann Coulter or Glen Beck.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#31 Nov 25, 2011
Mr 38357M wrote:
<quoted text>
The South and the North will rise again when they vote the Black BOY out.
America will be more humane and more of a REAL DEMOCRACY when she purges herself of racism and racist refuse like yourself.
Then we shall see FREEDOM RISING!

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#32 Nov 25, 2011
PlacitasRoy wrote:
<quoted text>
There are only 3 kinds of people who would make such a FALSE statement - stupid people, ignorant people, racists.....typically all 3.
And slehcar fits that description--on all three counts.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#33 Nov 25, 2011
Vance1 wrote:
Naive, Egotistical Obama
VAnce, who seems quite backward, is simply bent out of shape over the fact that a moderately (and I do mean MODERATELY) liberal BLACK MAN inhabits the WHITE HOUSE---a Black man who is MENTALLY SUPERIOR to himself.
What is this obsession? And how is it related to the discussion of the Confederate flag.
Reality

United States

#34 Nov 25, 2011
Sinajuavi wrote:
The Civil War is over! You demonic slaving secessionists lost!
So shove that stinking Confederat Battle Rag up your satanic asses and stop offending decent people with it!
They have a right to wave whatever flag they want, you fascist.

The Confederate flag doesn't specifically represent "slavery". The south wanted to secede because the north was using and abusing their power in making money off of the south, and only during and after the Civil war they talked about slavery, but SLAVERY ITSELF is NOT why the north went to war with the south. Only ignorant propagandists use that stupid bullshit to twist history into gaining the emotional backing of those who do not know real history.

If the north cared so much about blacks back then to supposedly go to war in order to free slaves in the south (don't they wish...), then the north would have gone further after the war to give blacks equal rights to vote, and would have let them mix into society, marry whites, and do whatever whites could do... but the north DID NOT do this, so they were not as anti-racist as you simpletons try to make them out to be. The north DID NOT fight the war over slavery itself. PERIOD!

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#35 Nov 25, 2011
THE DEBATE IS OVER!

Slavery was evil. The Confderacy was evil. The Confederate flag is a symbol of evil.
At least THAT evil was defeated in history. History has moved on. It's high time you reactionaries moved on as well--or at least move out of the way of progress.
The debate is over.
Who

Stockton, CA

#36 Nov 25, 2011
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
America will be more humane and more of a REAL DEMOCRACY when she purges herself of racism and racist refuse like yourself.
Then we shall see FREEDOM RISING!
All living in your little utopia under socialist rule.

And you actually believe your own bullshit, what a dumbass.
Reality

United States

#37 Nov 26, 2011
Sinajuavi wrote:
<quoted text>
Jewish people have more to worry about than a swastika, but if Nazoids are marching in the streets displaying swastikas, I think Jews have good reason to be upset.
Likewise black Yanks have every reason to object to the symbol of the Southern crackers' fight to keep them ENSLAVED being paraded hither and yon.
Savant is correct in equating the Confederate Rag to Nazi symbols.
Whether you agree or disagree with whomever on any random topic, it's their right to freedom of expression and speech to say and display such things on flags. They can do what they want, so long as they keep their hands to themselves and don't harm anyone else's body or their property. That's freedom for you, and if you don't like it, you can move elsewhere if you so love fascism.

To force people not to fly a flag because it offends you is fascist and criminal in and of itself, thus hypocrisy in the highest order, making ones anger about said flag fall on deaf ears.

Have integrity and respect for FREEDOM for even bigots to spout what they want, then people might respect YOU.
Who

Stockton, CA

#38 Nov 26, 2011
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
America will be more humane and more of a REAL DEMOCRACY when she purges herself of racism and racist refuse like yourself.
Then we shall see FREEDOM RISING!
And how do you propose to do that dipshit?

You liberals think you can tell people what to think now too? I have more of a right to not like somebody than you libs do of receiving "free" healthcare.

Piss off.
Reality

United States

#39 Nov 26, 2011
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
America will be more humane and more of a REAL DEMOCRACY when she purges herself of racism and racist refuse like yourself.
Then we shall see FREEDOM RISING!
America is a Republic. Get it right, Savant.

Being a real democracy has nothing to do with purging a nation of racism, you dolt. Racism has nothing specifically to do with democracy itself. They're two separate issues. A democracy is simply where the majority rules, and the majority can either be racist or non-racist.

We shall see freedom RISING when everyone respects everyone else's right to freedom of thought speech and flag display, even if it personally offends them. That's called integrity. Call them bigots for their opinions, call them ignorant, call them dimwits, fine, but they still have that right to be all those things, so long as they keep their hands to themselves and respect other peoples property.

It's a good thing the founders at least added a Bill of Rights, because without it, we'd seriously be living in a fascist dictatorship today, because humans are basically fascists by nature as a whole, it seems. They want to have their ignorant opinions imposed on others because whatever 'that other' is saying offends them and they want them to be shut up because they're too mentally weak to put up with such a verbal or visual offense.

Grow some balls, grow some self-confidence and laugh it off, not seek to have big daddy government infringe upon their rights to freedom of speech and expression because you're too weak-minded and too childish to put up with it on your own.

There are many things I've heard that offended me, but I never once dared to want government step in and infringe upon their liberty for doing such things. I love FREEDOM too much to do so. But many dimwitted, brainwashed kids today do not respect nor love freedom. They're homegrown fascists brainwashed by their college professors, fascist media and politicians.
Who

Stockton, CA

#41 Nov 26, 2011
Savant wrote:
THE DEBATE IS OVER!
Slavery was evil. The Confderacy was evil. The Confederate flag is a symbol of evil.
At least THAT evil was defeated in history. History has moved on. It's high time you reactionaries moved on as well--or at least move out of the way of progress.
The debate is over.
And well-to-do blacks owned slaves as well.

What about them? Maybe we should all hate them like you hate whites since they committed the same crime, maybe even more since hating your own race is as sick and twisted as you and all liberals are.
lenin

United States

#42 Nov 26, 2011
The issue isn't individual freedom of expression. It's the N.C. statehouse building. Does the rebel flag represent the people? Can NC fly any flag they want? Should they represent the peoples flag or the flag of the confederate states which lost the war of northern agression? Is NC inciting riot? Do they want to try to secede again? Or are they just nostalgic?
Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether you agree or disagree with whomever on any random topic, it's their right to freedom of expression and speech to say and display such things on flags. They can do what they want, so long as they keep their hands to themselves and don't harm anyone else's body or their property. That's freedom for you, and if you don't like it, you can move elsewhere if you so love fascism.
To force people not to fly a flag because it offends you is fascist and criminal in and of itself, thus hypocrisy in the highest order, making ones anger about said flag fall on deaf ears.
Have integrity and respect for FREEDOM for even bigots to spout what they want, then people might respect YOU.
lenin

United States

#43 Nov 26, 2011
lenin wrote:
The issue isn't individual freedom of expression. It's the N.C. statehouse building. Does the rebel flag represent the people? Can NC fly any flag they want? Should they represent the peoples flag or the flag of the confederate states which lost the war of northern agression? Is NC inciting riot? Do they want to try to secede again? Or are they just nostalgic? <quoted text>
oops wrong carolina. NC sb SC.

“FEED THE DEAD FETUS”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#44 Nov 26, 2011
Sinajuavi wrote:
The Civil War is over! You demonic slaving secessionists lost!
So shove that stinking Confederat Battle Rag up your satanic asses and stop offending decent people with it!
You find it offensive?

Good!

Suffer!

“FEED THE DEAD FETUS”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#45 Nov 26, 2011
Nearly 700,000 Americans lost their lives in the civil war.
Most of them were white.
Many were fighting their own relatives.

The price was too high. All debts for slavery have been more than paid.

They can fly any flag they wish.

“FEED THE DEAD FETUS”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#46 Nov 26, 2011
Obama has nothing to do with the civil war.
He is as removed from slavery, civil rights and America as Stalin.
Reality

United States

#47 Nov 26, 2011
lenin wrote:
The issue isn't individual freedom of expression. It's the N.C. statehouse building. Does the rebel flag represent the people? Can NC fly any flag they want? Should they represent the peoples flag or the flag of the confederate states which lost the war of northern agression? Is NC inciting riot? Do they want to try to secede again? Or are they just nostalgic? <quoted text>
Why they fly the Confederate flag no one can truly know. It's all speculation based on assumption, not fact. Each State has its right to do what it wants unless it directly disobeys what the U.S. Constitution specifically says is against the law for States to do.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people." - 10th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution
lenin

United States

#49 Nov 26, 2011
Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Why they fly the Confederate flag no one can truly know. It's all speculation based on assumption, not fact. Each State has its right to do what it wants unless it directly disobeys what the U.S. Constitution specifically says is against the law for States to do.
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people." - 10th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution
so if the good people of the great state of South Carolina want it, they got it. Thanks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rick Perry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Climate change takes on more urgent tone 9 hr IBdaMann 6
Carter: States should decide same-sex marriage ... Oct 29 Frankie Rizzo 61
5Has Wendy Davis helped or hurt the Democrats i... Oct 27 Fossilfarts 6
For Texas governor, it's lawyer vs. lawyer Oct 26 Fossilfarts 4
Spiritual scholar (and Uma's father) explains h... Oct 20 Hello 1
Cameraman suffering from Ebola arrives in Nebraska Oct 13 VeganTiger 3
Ebola case gives Perry real-time leadership test Oct 12 Elise Gingrich 19

Rick Perry People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE