Feds to stop funding Texas women's he...

Feds to stop funding Texas women's health program

There are 33 comments on the KNDU story from Mar 9, 2012, titled Feds to stop funding Texas women's health program. In it, KNDU reports that:

The federal government will stop funding a Texas health program that serves 130,000 low-income women because of a state law that bars abortion-affiliated clinics from getting public money, a top U.S. health official said Friday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KNDU.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Y'all smell that sawdust?”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#1 Mar 9, 2012
I find it curious that the feds are so anxious to sue any states that pass their own immigration laws, but they roll over on abortion issues.

What's with that?

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#2 Mar 9, 2012
Unbelievable that Texas, knowing what must happen, would let this funding be withdrawn because legislators are too backwards to change the Texas laws to allow reproductive services at clinics.
Latter Day Taints

Wilmington, DE

#3 Mar 9, 2012
Confederate Wood Worker wrote:
I find it curious that the feds are so anxious to sue any states that pass their own immigration laws, but they roll over on abortion issues.
What's with that?
I guess they haven't been able to find a Constitutional claim that the TX anti abortion law infringes on a federal matter, as they have with the border enforcement functions usurped in AZ and elsewhere.

I doubt the Administration of the Democrats on the whole are less supportive of choice than they are of common sense immigration laws and procedures.

Location hidden

#4 Mar 9, 2012
Latter Day Taints wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess they haven't been able to find a Constitutional claim that the TX anti abortion law infringes on a federal matter, as they have with the border enforcement functions usurped in AZ and elsewhere.
I doubt the Administration of the Democrats on the whole are less supportive of choice than they are of common sense immigration laws and procedures.
If the democratic administration had any fealty to the Constitution or Federal Criminal Code it would enforce the present immigration laws and procedures instead of pandering to a potential treasure trove of democratic voters it sees in illegals.
Latter Day Taints

Wilmington, DE

#5 Mar 9, 2012
<quoted text>
If the democratic administration had any fealty to the Constitution or Federal Criminal Code it would enforce the present immigration laws and procedures instead of pandering to a potential treasure trove of democratic voters it sees in illegals.
I know that's what you think, racist.

The answer still is that the AZ law steps into what has always been a federal function - border control.

How that Justice Dept. claim works out in front of court populated by the like of Scaliar and Uncle Thomas Clarence, though, I could not guess.

Location hidden

#6 Mar 9, 2012
Latter Day Taints wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that's what you think, racist.
The answer still is that the AZ law steps into what has always been a federal function - border control.
How that Justice Dept. claim works out in front of court populated by the like of Scaliar and Uncle Thomas Clarence, though, I could not guess.
Racist?

What is racist about wanting out laws enforced? Here's a hint... Not a damned thing.

And you were the only one that brought Arizona into the discussion.

Those two remarks tell us all one thing about you.......... you're either an illegal, or an illegal sympathizer.

As a veteran who has two honorable discharges, I consider you a traitor to our country, an enemy sympathizer, and will have no further traffic with you.
Latter Day Taints

Wilmington, DE

#7 Mar 9, 2012
<quoted text>
Racist?
What is racist about wanting out laws enforced? Here's a hint... Not a damned thing.
And you were the only one that brought Arizona into the discussion.
Those two remarks tell us all one thing about you.......... you're either an illegal, or an illegal sympathizer.
As a veteran who has two honorable discharges, I consider you a traitor to our country, an enemy sympathizer, and will have no further traffic with you.
You dumb pos.

In a discussion about why the feds did not move against TX in this abortion funding matter versus why they did move against states in the immigration situation - your stupid question -_obviously_ AZ is relevant. Obviously, you moron. Because AZ's immigration law is the one being challenged by Justice.

You're a racist if you're obsessed on immigration "laws" which are not yet established to be within the purview of the states that enacted them. We don't know if they're constitutional yet.

But you don't know who is an illegal. You're just looking at skin color:

>We dont need no freakin reform.
>We needs more inforcement.
>Standin in line with a bunch of illegals to git my food stamp card
just aint rite!
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/immigration/T...

Then there's you needless injection of race. Why "black" in this post of yours? Why not any Americans?

>any black Americans whut stands with these illegal invaders ought
beg their parents for forgiveness.
http://www.topix.com/forum/us-house/john-lewi...
Latter Day Taints

Wilmington, DE

#8 Mar 9, 2012
Oh by the way, I overlooked the whole "confederate" thing - you know, the only "country" which ever tried to found itself with slavery as a founding principle - because I know you confederates always like to lie it's a southern pride thing. The Civil War had nothing to do with slavery.... And slavery, of course, has nothing to do with racism....

You racist filth. Like we're going to accept the definition of a racist as to who is and isn't racist.

Location hidden

#9 Mar 9, 2012
Latter Day Taints wrote:
<quoted text>
You dumb pos.
In a discussion about why the feds did not move against TX in this abortion funding matter versus why they did move against states in the immigration situation - your stupid question -_obviously_ AZ is relevant. Obviously, you moron. Because AZ's immigration law is the one being challenged by Justice.
You're a racist if you're obsessed on immigration "laws" which are not yet established to be within the purview of the states that enacted them. We don't know if they're constitutional yet.
But you don't know who is an illegal. You're just looking at skin color:
>We dont need no freakin reform.
>We needs more inforcement.
>Standin in line with a bunch of illegals to git my food stamp card
just aint rite!
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/immigration/T...
Then there's you needless injection of race. Why "black" in this post of yours? Why not any Americans?
>any black Americans whut stands with these illegal invaders ought
beg their parents for forgiveness.
http://www.topix.com/forum/us-house/john-lewi...
That, sucker, was so easy as to not be any challenge at all.

As for the "black" reference, had you been old enough to witness the civil rights strife when it happened, you'd have some understanding. Obviously, you didn't see the riots in Alexandria in 1959, you didn't witness the sit ins, bus rides or other protests, nor did you see the march on Selma when it first happened.so you have no frame of reference.

Comparing illegals demands for "rights" to citizens fighting for what was rightfully their's is an insult to everyone that was involved in the struggle for "rights' in this country and that you can't see that makes you one ignorant, uneducated... what was the phrase you used? "dumb pos".

BTW, I received food stamps once, in 1973, during a long running labor dispute. Were you even hatched then?

Racist because I want our immigration laws enforced? You stupid, ignorant liberal idiot. Explain what is racist about wanting this enforced:
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuit...

Skin color? You want to know who is illegal, you stooopid liberal idiot? Try watching this:

http://www.wsbtv.com/videos/news/channel-2-in...

Thanks for providing my evening's entertainment.
Latter Day Taints

Wilmington, DE

#10 Mar 9, 2012
<quoted text>
That....
Hey racist, "confederate" means "southern" only to witless racists.

The confederacy was about the south keeping slavery.

Your posts needlessly specify race. That is racist.

You describe people in a food stamp line with you as "illegals." You don't know who is illegal and who is not. That is further racism on your part.

But again, we don't ask the racists if they think they're racist. Unless they're in their pointy white sheets they will say "no."
Makes sense

Dearborn, MI

#11 Mar 9, 2012
Here's some free GOP slogan advice to Teabaggers who are finding it too hard to swallow Romney:

"Hate the plan, LOVE the MAN, ROMNEYCARE 2012!!!"
radiofreeamerica

Tampa, FL

#12 Mar 10, 2012
Gee...How humane...the obama government is going to cut off health insurance to 130,000 poor people in Texas.
Latter Day Taints

Wilmington, DE

#13 Mar 10, 2012
radiofreeamerica wrote:
Gee...How humane...the obama government is going to cut off health insurance to 130,000 poor people in Texas.
No, lying cretin, lunkhead Rick Perry's laws require the Obama Administration to stop this funding.

The Obama Administration would like to keep funding women's health, but idiot, misogynistic right wing Tea Baggers keep getting in the way.
radiofreeamerica

Tampa, FL

#14 Mar 10, 2012
Latter Day Taints wrote:
<quoted text>
No, lying cretin, lunkhead Rick Perry's laws require the Obama Administration to stop this funding.
The Obama Administration would like to keep funding women's health, but idiot, misogynistic right wing Tea Baggers keep getting in the way.
Stop the BS-FActs are facts and obama is cutting it off.Cant you read?Maybe not.

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#15 Mar 10, 2012
WMCOL wrote:
Unbelievable that Texas, knowing what must happen, would let this funding be withdrawn because legislators are too backwards to change the Texas laws to allow reproductive services at clinics.
knowing what must happen????

yeah, texas probably SHOULD HAVE KNOWN the obama administration would cut off their funding for THOUSANDS of low income women....purely out of spite.
and, why am i not surprised that YOU support it?
Xstain Mullah Aroma

Wilmington, DE

#16 Mar 10, 2012
radiofreeamerica wrote:
<quoted text>Stop the BS-FActs are facts and obama is cutting it off.Cant you read?Maybe not.
Hard to know if it's merely a typically stoopit, fantasy dwelling Tea Bagger or a garden variety topix troll. They're both divorced from reality on purpose.

"The federal government will stop funding a Texas health program that serves 130,000 low-income women _because of a state law_ that bars abortion-affiliated clinics from getting public money...."
rwb

Lima, OH

#17 Mar 10, 2012
radiofreeamerica wrote:
Texas is having state budget problems now. Texas state lawmakers implemented a law that bars state public funds from going to any programs, organizations or groups that are affiliated with abortions, even if they don’t perform them. HHS sent a letter of warning, this was violating the federal Medicaid regulations that require women be allowed to choose where they go for health care. Federal funds flowed to Texas under a waiver, but “we plan to let Texas know that that waiver will not be extended,” Sebelius said. The state was warned that implementing the law would jeopardize federal funding, and Texas chose not to immediately enforce it when it was passed, Sebelius added. HHS has been working with Texas to resolve this, but if Texas chooses to violate the federal law, this cut will happen.

Texas had a massive budget deficit last year. Last year, Texas lawmakers slashed state funding for women’s health and family planning programs by $73.6 million — cutting services to 160,000 women. They also took $10 million from a separate family planning budget line and shifted those responsibilities to organizations that administer Medicaid in Texas.
Chicago Guy

Evanston, IL

#18 Mar 10, 2012
carey529 wrote:
<quoted text>
knowing what must happen????
yeah, texas probably SHOULD HAVE KNOWN the obama administration would cut off their funding for THOUSANDS of low income women....purely out of spite.
and, why am i not surprised that YOU support it?
It's not "purely out of spite". That's ridiculous.

Texas JUST CHANGED their state law to ban funding going to Planned Parenthood. As such, they are no longer eligible for federal dollars, which cover 90% of this program.

Isn't this exactly what you conservatives want? States' rights? Well, Texas just exerted their rights. The federal government acted accordingly, based on the law. And now thousands of poor women won't get healthcare. And we've cut millions of dollars in "Wasteful spending".

Isn't that a GOP Triple Play?
Chicago Guy

Evanston, IL

#19 Mar 10, 2012
What's with that?
I find it curious that you can't comprehend this about a law Texas just passed that made it ineligible for federal funding.

What's with that?
Xstain Mullah Aroma

Wilmington, DE

#20 Mar 10, 2012
Chicago Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it curious that you can't comprehend this about a law Texas just passed that made it ineligible for federal funding.
What's with that?
Racists ain't too bright.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rick Perry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lawyer for Markham man calls law 'unfair' that ... Apr 26 Dogman2009 1
News Sean Spicer: Trump 'has a heart' on immigration Apr 25 tomin cali 1
News Court again finds intentional voter discriminat... Apr 23 Retribution 18
News Electric Grid Study Ordered by U.S. Energy Chie... Apr 18 Solarman 1
News Axelrod: Obama faces 'titanic struggle' (Sep '11) Apr 14 Dubya 656
News Conservative publisher Andrew Breitbart dies in... (Mar '12) Apr 11 Fort Collins Prog... 515
News Rick Perry Criticizes Election Of Openly Gay St... Mar 29 Rev Cash Dollar 3
More from around the web