Bray joins Hollars and Sells as judge...

Bray joins Hollars and Sells as judge candidates

There are 93 comments on the Cookeville Herald story from May 7, 2009, titled Bray joins Hollars and Sells as judge candidates. In it, Cookeville Herald reports that:

Wesley Thomas Bray of Algood, who practices law in Cookeville, has joined two other attorneys seeking to gain appointment to replace 13th Judicial District Judge John Turnbull, who is retiring.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Cookeville Herald.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
wonder who

Cookeville, TN

#1 May 12, 2009
will be interestng to see who they pick
Livingstonite

Nashville, TN

#2 May 12, 2009
wonder who wrote:
will be interestng to see who they pick
Hope it's Hollars
nother

Monroe, TN

#3 May 12, 2009
I hope Sells doen't get it.
justme

Monroe, TN

#4 May 12, 2009
I agree we don't want Lillie.Hope we get Amy

“Seconds Count”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#5 May 12, 2009
Bray is a good person and professional, so is Hollars, hopefully one of them.
CYP

Nashville, TN

#6 May 12, 2009
AMY HOLLARS WOULD BE THE BEST CHOICE SHE IS SMART SHE IS A VERY GOOD AND NICE PERSON I HAVE KNOWN AMY EVERY SINCE SHE WAS A LITTLE GIRL AMY IS A SUPER PERSON
who

Cookeville, TN

#7 May 12, 2009
who are these people running and where and when do we vote? is there anyone running who will put these druggies in jail?

“Live once, do it right!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#8 May 12, 2009
I would recommend choosing someone that went to a real law school. Bray and Sells went to the Nashville Law School (Formerly known as the YMCA law school). It is not recognized outside the State of Tennessee. One of the problems with our courts here in TN in my opinion is the over run of "YMCA" lawyers. Let's face it, the standard for admission to the YMCA Law school isn't the same as it is for let us say, Vandy, Cumberland, UT, Pepperdine, Harvard, Georgetown just to mention a few. So why trust your case to someone that more than likely barely passed college.

Since: May 09

Utica, KY

#9 May 12, 2009
You do realize that Lynda Simmons is his mother in law. What happens when she has a case in Putnam county? I would think that would be a conflict of interest. She has a lot of cases in Putnam county & is in the courts there often. Wouldn't he have to appoint a different judge to hear her cases. A lot of trouble for the courts & judges.
Cookeville Raised

Cookeville, TN

#10 May 12, 2009
Old and In the Way wrote:
I would recommend choosing someone that went to a real law school. Bray and Sells went to the Nashville Law School (Formerly known as the YMCA law school). It is not recognized outside the State of Tennessee. One of the problems with our courts here in TN in my opinion is the over run of "YMCA" lawyers. Let's face it, the standard for admission to the YMCA Law school isn't the same as it is for let us say, Vandy, Cumberland, UT, Pepperdine, Harvard, Georgetown just to mention a few. So why trust your case to someone that more than likely barely passed college.
The type of school a person went to has no value to the type of judge a person would be. A judge should have good morales and strong beliefs. What class at Vandy, Cumberland, UT, etc teaches you that?? In my opinion, you are out of line when you refer to the men and women who GRADUATED LAW SCHOOL (did you ever?) as unqualified to serve as Judge.

In short,

1.Bray is too young and inexperienced to be a criminal court judge. However, this is a good way to get his name out to the public so good for him and his future.

2. Lillie Ann Sells' recent history speaks for its self. Going from an assistant district attorney to a criminal court judge was way more than she could handle. The power trips she took on the bench was the reason she did not get re-elected.

3. Out of the 3 choices, Hollars is the best qualified. She has been sitting on the bench since her father (who was a great judge) had to step down. She may too be inexperienced but the time on the bench has been valuable so I hope Gov. Bredesen makes the right choice!

Will anyone else apply for this judgeship???
Mary Ann

Jonesville, SC

#11 May 12, 2009
Cookeville Raised wrote:
<quoted text>
The type of school a person went to has no value to the type of judge a person would be. A judge should have good morales and strong beliefs. What class at Vandy, Cumberland, UT, etc teaches you that?? In my opinion, you are out of line when you refer to the men and women who GRADUATED LAW SCHOOL (did you ever?) as unqualified to serve as Judge.
In short,
1.Bray is too young and inexperienced to be a criminal court judge. However, this is a good way to get his name out to the public so good for him and his future.
2. Lillie Ann Sells' recent history speaks for its self. Going from an assistant district attorney to a criminal court judge was way more than she could handle. The power trips she took on the bench was the reason she did not get re-elected.
3. Out of the 3 choices, Hollars is the best qualified. She has been sitting on the bench since her father (who was a great judge) had to step down. She may too be inexperienced but the time on the bench has been valuable so I hope Gov. Bredesen makes the right choice!
I disagree with you. I think Lillie Ann Sells would be the best. She has the most experience and I believe would be better. A lot of people dont like her but she did her job.I would not even consider Bray because of who his mother-n-law is. She screws people over now so just imagine what she could do if ho got it.
Determined

Jonesville, SC

#12 May 12, 2009
Lillie Ann Sells should get it. I hope she does.

Since: May 09

Nashville, TN

#13 May 12, 2009
Mary Ann wrote:
<quoted text> I disagree with you. I think Lillie Ann Sells would be the best. She has the most experience and I believe would be better. A lot of people dont like her but she did her job.I would not even consider Bray because of who his mother-n-law is. She screws people over now so just imagine what she could do if ho got it.
Couldn't agree with you more bout the mother-n-law. What a b@@@ch!!

“Live once, do it right!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#14 May 12, 2009
Cookeville Raised wrote:
<quoted text>
In short,
I went one year to law school. It was Georgetown. I had to withdraw because the Army deemed my services were required elsewhere.

Yes, it matters what law school a person goes to very much. The ability to conduct scholarly research, write opinions and orally express one's self are some of the basic skills required by a judge. The majority of the YMCA lawyers lack those basic skills.

I have several friends here in the area that are lawyers, all of which agree that the YMCA/Nashville school of law has done a great injustice to the legal system here in Tennessee.

So I beg to differ with you, there is a direct relationship between ability and where one received their law degree.
noway

Monroe, TN

#15 May 12, 2009
Determined wrote:
Lillie Ann Sells should get it. I hope she does.
heck no we don't want her
Opinions

Granville, TN

#16 May 12, 2009
If Bray gets appointed he would not be able to hear any of her cases. There is more than one Judge in this area.
BubbaTheLoveSpon ge

Morrison, TN

#17 May 12, 2009
i liked lillie ann until she wouldn't concede to patterson. that lost her some respect points.
for Old

Nashville, TN

#18 May 13, 2009
When will John O.'s judge position be over?

“Seconds Count”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#19 May 13, 2009
old, I did not realize that was were Bray went to school but, I have often wondered if some great minds have not come out of there, maybe not. Yet I know that we could not afford the money for my daughter to go to UT and they wanted her, was going to give her a work program to help. I am quite sure that Vanderbilt would give you a better education but, not all students have the financial backing. I suppose there should be a way with the lotto now and of course the student with high marks. Turnbull was a good judge so maybe Amy will get it. Sells, though I could be wrong but, she seems to be on a power ride. Something like that bothers me.
wanna know

Nashville, TN

#20 May 13, 2009
Livingstonite wrote:
<quoted text>Hope it's Hollars
Amy "Turnbull" Hollars, John's daughter?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Phil Bredesen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Haslam, Ramsey (Aug '10) May '16 hellio 7
News Spring Hill gets $100,000 for skate park (Oct '10) Feb '16 jaybird 54
News I'd Like to Know: What to do about flyers on wi... (Jul '12) Oct '14 loliloli 6
News Most controversial Campfield moments (Jun '14) Jul '14 Rainbow Kid 3
News State briefs: State Democrats elect Roy Herron ... (May '13) May '13 Go away Roy 1
News Governor lauds Tennessee Rehab Center graduates (Jan '09) Feb '13 cierra clendening 5
News Governor Offers Reward to Solve Homicide (Nov '09) Oct '12 ghjf 2
More from around the web