Blue Island eyes rowing center, large...

Blue Island eyes rowing center, larger marina

There are 80 comments on the The Southtown Star story from Jul 11, 2014, titled Blue Island eyes rowing center, larger marina. In it, The Southtown Star reports that:

A shout-out from Gov. Pat Quinn's office has drawn attention to a developing project along the Calumet Sag Channel in Blue Island.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Southtown Star.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Boondoggle

Orland Park, IL

#1 Jul 12, 2014
Here is another Blue Island idea with no economic benefit:

If Blue Island owned the Marina there would be no property tax collected.

The rowing course closes down the Cal _Sag to commercial and recreational traffic for the better part of the day. How long before the barge operators and the boaters trying to launch at ramps stop the idea?

Who pays to set up the rowing lanes? Bankrupt Blue Island?

Will there be substantial fees paid? How many more municipal employees will be needed to run this?

Is there a hotel in Blue Island that would benefit from visitors? No.

Is there demand for rowing here?

Let's get the bridges fixed first before we try something new.
Quinns at it Again

Northbrook, IL

#2 Jul 12, 2014
The city of Blue Island hasn't been able to pay bills during the current administration's tenure, hence the closed bridges, unfunded pensions, and mounting debt.

Quinn's hotly contested elections provide his reasons to pursue money distribution projects like this one and his currently investigated "stop the violence program."
Truth shall set you free

Blue Island, IL

#3 Jul 12, 2014
Quinns at it Again wrote:
The city of Blue Island hasn't been able to pay bills during the current administration's tenure, hence the closed bridges, unfunded pensions, and mounting debt.
Quinn's hotly contested elections provide his reasons to pursue money distribution projects like this one and his currently investigated "stop the violence program."
There is no current administration. Surprise. There is a continuation of the previous administration. Anyone who attempts to tell you differently, they are not speaking the truth.
resident

Orland Park, IL

#4 Jul 12, 2014
Boondoggle wrote:
Here is another Blue Island idea with no economic benefit:
If Blue Island owned the Marina there would be no property tax collected.
The rowing course closes down the Cal _Sag to commercial and recreational traffic for the better part of the day. How long before the barge operators and the boaters trying to launch at ramps stop the idea?
Who pays to set up the rowing lanes? Bankrupt Blue Island?
Will there be substantial fees paid? How many more municipal employees will be needed to run this?
Is there a hotel in Blue Island that would benefit from visitors? No.
Is there demand for rowing here?
Let's get the bridges fixed first before we try something new.
Yes there is a hotel, St Anthony on Vermont st which could accommodate many since plenty rooms are available
caraparrots

Blue Island, IL

#5 Jul 12, 2014
I think we could "row" down some of the streets in Blue Island today....
yes

Orland Park, IL

#7 Jul 12, 2014
caraparrots wrote:
I think we could "row" down some of the streets in Blue Island today....
Thanks to the CSX and the BIIP yes you can. You could ride water rapids at York & California this afternoon.(read Fireworks post)
Flooded

Maywood, IL

#8 Jul 12, 2014
Flooding in the 7th and 4th ward needs to be addressed and corrected.
Get a clue

Hobart, IN

#9 Jul 12, 2014
You people have to be some of the most short-sighted morons I've ever heard. I'm definitely not taking sides, but I can say one thing for sure… THANK GOD NONE OF YOU ARE RUNNING BLUE ISLAND.

If anybody had paid any attention to reality lately, you would know that bridge reopening is already moving forward. The Chatham Street bridge will be reopened next year as part of the Cal Sag Trail. The Division Street project is underway. The Francisco Street bridge is currently undergoing maintenance. I know these facts are extremely inconvenient for you guys, but… They are the facts.

With that said, is the city supposed to do nothing to improve itself until the bridges are open? Do you really think that's how a municipality works? Only one project can be moving forward at any given time?

To say the proposed rowing center and marina would not have an economic impact is a pretty moronic statement. It would bring in Division 1 collegiate rowing competitions which would bring with it… PEOPLE. People to spend money IN BLUE ISLAND. It would also bring more attention to Blue Island locally, which would, in turn, bring in more… PEOPLE. It could help generate interest in rowing locally - clubs, high school teams, college teams, etc… It would help further develop Fay's Point and be a huge destination point on the Cal Sag Trail. It would create jobs in Blue Island. It would even help take away the negative perception that Blue Island gets from the surrounding area - thanks to folks like yourselves who seem to get some kind of enjoyment out of bashing the city in which they live.

I'm not even sure why I waste my time responding to you guys, but when I see that facts are just being tossed in the garbage to give your own arguments a couple rickety legs to stand on… I just can't help myself.

P.S.- The rowing lanes are already installed in the Cal Sag. And there's a demand for facilities like this across the country. There are only a handful of stretches of water like the Cal Sag in existence that can be used for that purpose.
Taxpayer

Blue Island, IL

#11 Jul 13, 2014
Get a clue wrote:
You people have to be some of the most short-sighted morons I've ever heard. I'm definitely not taking sides, but I can say one thing for sure… THANK GOD NONE OF YOU ARE RUNNING BLUE ISLAND.
If anybody had paid any attention to reality lately, you would know that bridge reopening is already moving forward. The Chatham Street bridge will be reopened next year as part of the Cal Sag Trail. The Division Street project is underway. The Francisco Street bridge is currently undergoing maintenance. I know these facts are extremely inconvenient for you guys, but… They are the facts.
With that said, is the city supposed to do nothing to improve itself until the bridges are open? Do you really think that's how a municipality works? Only one project can be moving forward at any given time?
To say the proposed rowing center and marina would not have an economic impact is a pretty moronic statement. It would bring in Division 1 collegiate rowing competitions which would bring with it… PEOPLE. People to spend money IN BLUE ISLAND. It would also bring more attention to Blue Island locally, which would, in turn, bring in more… PEOPLE. It could help generate interest in rowing locally - clubs, high school teams, college teams, etc… It would help further develop Fay's Point and be a huge destination point on the Cal Sag Trail. It would create jobs in Blue Island. It would even help take away the negative perception that Blue Island gets from the surrounding area - thanks to folks like yourselves who seem to get some kind of enjoyment out of bashing the city in which they live.
I'm not even sure why I waste my time responding to you guys, but when I see that facts are just being tossed in the garbage to give your own arguments a couple rickety legs to stand on… I just can't help myself.
P.S.- The rowing lanes are already installed in the Cal Sag. And there's a demand for facilities like this across the country. There are only a handful of stretches of water like the Cal Sag in existence that can be used for that purpose.
Your posting will not be removed, because it represents the people who currently rule us. I reside here in Blue Island, and I want my tax money to replace the neglected infrastructure. I want my money to be spent on stopping the flooding problems. I want my tax dollars be spent wisely on filling the empty stores in the CBD, When the crowds of people land in Blue Island what do you expect them to buy here? There is no hotel they will not sleep here. Where do you expect the money to come from to pay for this? Not from my tax dollar.
Wrong

Maywood, IL

#12 Jul 13, 2014
Get a clue wrote:
The Division St. Bridge has to be demolished then be rebuilt. You live in the "Glorious SPIN Room" and probably need to stay there.
Row - Row - Row Your Boat

Blue Island, IL

#13 Jul 13, 2014
Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Your posting will not be removed, because it represents the people who currently rule us. I reside here in Blue Island, and I want my tax money to replace the neglected infrastructure. I want my money to be spent on stopping the flooding problems. I want my tax dollars be spent wisely on filling the empty stores in the CBD, When the crowds of people land in Blue Island what do you expect them to buy here? There is no hotel they will not sleep here. Where do you expect the money to come from to pay for this? Not from my tax dollar.
I completely agree with you "Taxpayer". The only community to benefit from the marina would be Calumet Park. They are right by the marina. They have the stores and hotels that visitors are looking for. This is not some great Blue Island victory as Vargas wants to claim. Jason Barry and poster "Get a Clue" as good little soldiers fighting the fight for the BIIP while trying to find a glimmer of hope in the doldrums of the current administration.
Really

Blue Island, IL

#14 Jul 13, 2014
Get a clue wrote:
You can only be someone who will benefit from this development. Hmm...could you be selling the marina or possibly promised a job running the program. There's also the contractors involved in the development of the project. Your interest can only be viewed as, "self interest."
No Doubt

Maywood, IL

#15 Jul 13, 2014
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
You can only be someone who will benefit from this development. Hmm...could you be selling the marina or possibly promised a job running the program. There's also the contractors involved in the development of the project. Your interest can only be viewed as, "self interest."
Seller/ Developer/Contractor.
Fay's Point is and has been a bust.
All want out including seniors.
Specifics

Maywood, IL

#16 Jul 13, 2014
No Doubt wrote:
<quoted text>
Seller/ Developer/Contractor.
Fay's Point is and has been a bust.
All want out including seniors.
This is the real reality Blue Islanders are living in under BIIP Rule.
Kevin Brown

Hobart, IN

#17 Jul 13, 2014
Haha You people are so damn paranoid. If I was a part of city government, I definitely wouldn't even waste my time with you screwballs. If I stood to gain anything financially from a rowing center, I would care even less about what you fools think. As a parent, a husband, a proud Blue Islander, and a person who is just plain smarter than the rest of you... I just hope I'm part of a majority of people who get it, instead of the screaming minority of idiots - you people - who never will. I only care about what's best for Blue Island so my wife and I can raise our kids in fun, safe, and prosperous community.

Did you ever think... Hmmm, it is possible that even though there is no hotel in Blue Island, this influx of people could create a need for one? Or on a smaller scale, some bed and breakfast businesses could start to pop up? As it stands, even without a hotel, there are plenty of places where people can spend their money while visiting Blue Island. Restaurants, great craft beer bars, bakeries. And we could be even more economically diverse if the demand for these places increases with an influx of more visitors. This rowing center, combined with the Cal Sag Trail, the continued development of Olde Western Ave, and returning Western Ave to two-way traffic - as well as beautifying that stretch of road - will bring more visitors/money to the city, creating jobs in BI, and making more public works projects possible - Giving you people less and less to bitch about.

I'm pretty curious to see what you guys think of next since we're pulling out of the JAWA and the bridges will be reopened. Whatever it is, it will just continue to be baseless blather with no real reasoning or facts to back up your opinions.

Why don't you people go back to screaming at kids to get off your lawn? DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE, OR GET OUT OF THE WAY.

By the way, my real name is on this post. I don't have to hide behind the anonymity of a computer screen like you guys. I'm at every city council meeting... I'm always down for a healthy face to face debate. Come say hello.
Boondogle

Orland Park, IL

#18 Jul 13, 2014
Get a Clue is right, we should be finding ways to boost Blue Island, but we have to be realistic.
During the last events, where did the college teams stay? The Double Tree in Alsip.
Where did they eat? Not in Blue Island
Who paid for support including police and setting up the rowing lanes and docks? The City of Blue Island and Blue Island volunteers.

BTW, the rowing lanes are not installed in the Cal-Sag. They need to be set up each time it is used and it that 3 to 4 to put up and down and during that time the river is shut down. It takes several support boats to shut down the river and to install the rowing lanes. Who pays for that?

If there is a rowing center, will it be self supporting with fees or will it be part of the Park District and supported by BI taxpayers? Is the Meadows Golf course self supporting?

So "Get a Clue" how do we have a positive economic impact for Blue Island? Where is the math?
Kevin Brown

Hobart, IN

#19 Jul 13, 2014
I'm going to have to navigate your bad grammar here to see if I can reply to this…

Let me start with math. I'm sure you know that math is used to give a concrete answer to something using ample information to prove a theory. So you, sir, have concrete proof that NOBODY from those events spent a dime in Blue Island? And you believe, with your concrete proof, that future visitors to our city won't spend a dollar here? Even though hundreds of people a week from outside BI visit spots like the Rock Island Public House, the Maple Tree Inn, our bakeries, and coming soon, the Cal Sag Trail. And, if you took the time to read my last post completely, I take it that you think there is absolutely no way that anybody could open a hotel in Blue Island if the demand is there in the future? So by your logic, and everyone else on this board, we should just sit idly by after the bridges are fixed. And I'm sure that Division 1 collegiate rowing programs have absolutely no funding to put toward the set up of rowing competitions in the Cal Sag - you have proof of that too, right? Do you know, are you absolutely sure, that The Meadows makes money, loses money, or breaks even? Can you say for sure, before knowing anything beyond your own limited knowledge, that a rowing center/restaurant/marina is a complete bust of an idea? That there is absolutely no way in hell that this will bring in people and money? You do realize there would be much more use out of this than just college rowing competitions, right? I'm not going to change anyone's mind on anything in this forum, but I can at least pose the question - Can you admit that you don't know everything? And maybe, be a little open minded and let the feasibility study take its course, then form your opinion from there?

Here's the deal - I think, in principal, this project could be part of a bright future for Blue Island, in conjunction with many other projects that are ongoing or need to get off the ground. It isn't the end-all-be-all that will solve every problem the city has, but it could be part of a solution. I just don't understand how all of you are so close-minded to every single initiative and project the city either starts or proposes. I've never seen so many negative people! Well, "seen" as in see a bunch of words that people don't want to put their own name to… In any case, the feasibility study has been paid for, in full, by the Chicago Community Trust. We'll see what that study yields and can then have some intelligent, formed opinions based on the give-and-take meetings that are a part of that study, and then the full report is submitted after all information is taken into account. Until then, I really don't think anybody on this board is in a position to shoot down this project. But I know you all will! I'm the only open-minded person who even bothers to check this board and share my opinion anyway.

P.S.- I like that you use the use of volunteers who helped with the rowing events to bolster your argument. Those people took time out of their lives to help this community, I'm damn sure they don't want to be spoken for by you.
Kevin Brown

Hobart, IN

#20 Jul 13, 2014
By the way, I guess our definitions of "installed" are a bit different. The fixtures that the buoys attach to ARE installed in the Cal Sag. The buoys are, of course, taken out after each event. So we'll split the difference on that one...
Broke

Maywood, IL

#21 Jul 13, 2014
More BIIP Hypocrisy and Propraganda than the taxpayers can afford. Blue Island IS BROKE.
Constant flooding and the closed bridges must be resolved to maintain a residential base before any more money is sloshed around to friends and family.
Kevin Brown

Hobart, IN

#22 Jul 13, 2014
Broke wrote:
More BIIP Hypocrisy and Propraganda than the taxpayers can afford. Blue Island IS BROKE.
Constant flooding and the closed bridges must be resolved to maintain a residential base before any more money is sloshed around to friends and family.
You really don't pay attention, do you? The bridges will be opened. And wasn't much of the flooding yesterday caused by a CSX mistake? That doesn't get the city completely off the hook, but come on man... Same old rhetoric that everybody else throws around on here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pat Quinn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tired Of Promises, A Struggling Small Town Want... Apr 13 BB Board 1
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) Feb '17 mahz 52,083
News Ex-Illinois governor petitions for Chicago mayo... (Jun '16) Jun '16 Ferrisbueller 2
News Kadner: Rita serious about state-owned casino (Mar '14) Sep '15 DMF 74
News Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner Cuts Funds For Indig... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Matt Kennedy 1
News Illinois Cops: Concealed Carry Law A 'Non-Event... (Jan '15) Jan '15 SSG MP American Joe 3
News a New Illinois cyber bully law lets teachers ac... (Jan '15) Jan '15 utopiannightmare 1
More from around the web