Kansas governor says hea ll push for ...

Kansas governor says hea ll push for statewide ban on public smoking

There are 7 comments on the KansasCity.com story from Sep 2, 2009, titled Kansas governor says hea ll push for statewide ban on public smoking. In it, KansasCity.com reports that:

Kansas Gov. Mark Parkinson said he will push next year for a statewide ban on smoking indoors in public places and he may work to raise the states tax on cigarettes to boost revenue and improve health.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KansasCity.com.

Marty

Topeka, KS

#1 Sep 3, 2009
My thoughts is this. As many crimes, death and broken family that it causes, alcohol should be taxed more than cigarettes. With liquor stores on every street corner and alcohol beverages being sold in every grocery stores, that would boost the revenue and improve health. Especially when there is a national push for everyone to quit smoking, anyway. With the record high of arrest of DUI and death caused by drunk drivers and the crimes reported when some sort of alcohol being comsumed. Alcohol is known to effect every organ in the human body. Which can cause a long and painful death in itself.

“EQUAL RIGHTS”

Since: Feb 08

NO MORE-NO LESS

#2 Sep 4, 2009
personally i don't see where it is the governments business. it should be up to the individual business owner as to whether or not they allow smoking in their establishments. banning fast food and liquor would save more lives.

Since: Aug 08

Golden Valley,Az.

#4 Sep 4, 2009
They have both of you believing there should be a tax. There should be no taxes period. There should be no banning of legal items. As and adult I can make my own decisions on what I consume, drink or where I go. If this country is run by the constitution and the form of government founded then taxes are not needed. The bigger the government and that includes city, county, state and federal the more tax needed. All are growing bigger every day. 78,000 new people for the federal government so far. Plus Obama's civilian army. All have to be paid for out of our money. Right now they can not even pay the interest on the money borrowed, so guess who's taxes have to go up.

Since: Oct 07

Olathe, KS

#5 Sep 4, 2009
azmac wrote:
They have both of you believing there should be a tax. There should be no taxes period. There should be no banning of legal items. As and adult I can make my own decisions on what I consume, drink or where I go. If this country is run by the constitution and the form of government founded then taxes are not needed. The bigger the government and that includes city, county, state and federal the more tax needed. All are growing bigger every day. 78,000 new people for the federal government so far. Plus Obama's civilian army. All have to be paid for out of our money. Right now they can not even pay the interest on the money borrowed, so guess who's taxes have to go up.
True. I am an ex-smoker, but enjoy a drink occasionally. I wish no one smoked. However, I have had enough of control, federal, state, or local.
Redneck

AOL

#6 Sep 4, 2009
Rick op wrote:
<quoted text>
True. I am an ex-smoker, but enjoy a drink occasionally. I wish no one smoked. However, I have had enough of control, federal, state, or local.
DEo not smoke, do not drink, but think that the
tax imposed on those that do, is totally wrong.
The economy 'sucks', joblessness is higher than
ever, and yet Oblama is raising taxes, and on top
of that the COLA (Cost of Living) raises for
Social Security people is going to stop for the
next two years. There is definitely something
wrong here!

Since: Aug 08

Golden Valley,Az.

#7 Sep 4, 2009
Redneck wrote:
<quoted text>
DEo not smoke, do not drink, but think that the
tax imposed on those that do, is totally wrong.
The economy 'sucks', joblessness is higher than
ever, and yet Oblama is raising taxes, and on top
of that the COLA (Cost of Living) raises for
Social Security people is going to stop for the
next two years. There is definitely something
wrong here!
Over 40 million unemployed right now and we are still losing 500,000 plus jobs a month.
Last year 50% of our wages went to some form of tax. This year 70%? next year 80%?
I hear we have gone from one trillion in debt to 23 trillion so far. The government can not afford to do any thing. We can not afford to pay for any thing else.
southern1

Topeka, KS

#8 Sep 5, 2009
You know, I think I am going to start suing the city, state and federal government if this smoking ban goes through. I am being coerced into something that I don't want to do, I have to give up some of my freedom so someone else can have theirs, and it is causing me a tremendous amount of unnecessary stress, and stress makes my medical condition worse (and no it is not a medical condition that is caused from smoking). This is not like creating ease of access for someone who is handicapped, this is just a ludicrous law to make people who smoke be forced to stay at home to enjoy their habit. If all of us smokers ban together and we buy our cigarettes somewhere else, don't go out to eat, don't buy our gasoline where they sell cigarettes, etc., etc., the government might see how much revenue we do generate.
I then want to start a petition for a statewide ban on selling alcohol. Alcohol causes a lot of deaths to innocent people that are hit on the road by a drunk driver, domestic violence, higher costs to medical insurance, a lot of the same illnesses that smoking is said to cause, e.g. hardening of the arteries, lung cancer, low birth weights, birth deformities, etc.
Shall I keep going? Let's get all the facts before trying to change someones life for them.
I would like this to be remembered because I will remember it if the law is passed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kathleen Sebelius Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A Kansas group's push to oust judges exposes a ... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Ace McMillan 1
News The Power of Chirlane McCray (May '14) May '14 Guest 1
News Spokeswoman: Sebelius Not Considering US Senate (Apr '14) Apr '14 conservative crapola 19
News Kathleen Sebelius to Resign HHS Post (Apr '14) Apr '14 Le Jimbo 51
News Senate Democrats upbeat about confirming Burwell (Apr '14) Apr '14 Sterkfontei Swart... 2
News Sebelius a finalist for Timea s Person of the Year (Dec '13) Dec '13 Eddie 1
News More questions swirl around Sebelius (Nov '13) Nov '13 Roger Edgar 9
More from around the web