Maine lawmakers approve same-sex marr...

Maine lawmakers approve same-sex marriage

There are 8 comments on the www.upi.com story from May 6, 2009, titled Maine lawmakers approve same-sex marriage. In it, www.upi.com reports that:

The Maine House of Representatives has voted 98-57 to legalize same-sex unions in The Pine Tree State.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.upi.com.

Since: Nov 08

Roanoke, VA

#1 May 6, 2009
Bravo!

“Putan end to religious thought”

Since: Jun 07

The Freak Kingdom

#2 May 6, 2009
Well, I guess we can only hope that the Gov. does the right thing.

Daniel P from Long Island

“Protestant, Gay, Libertarian”

Since: Apr 08

Long Island, NY

#3 May 6, 2009
I hope he signs it.

I wish New Hampshire, New York, and New Jersey would pass similar bills.

Since: Dec 08

Ireland

#4 May 6, 2009
Remember there's a People's Veto as well.

Daniel P from Long Island

“Protestant, Gay, Libertarian”

Since: Apr 08

Long Island, NY

#5 May 6, 2009
If New York, New Jersey, New Hampshire, and Maine pass gay marriage laws, it would mean that more than 44,000,000 Americans would live in states that allows gay marriage. That is nearly 15% of the total population of the U.S.

I don't see how SCOTUS could say under those conditions that the "Full faith and credit" clause does not apply.

The biggest state of course is New York, and although the Assembly has passed a Gay Marriage bill, and Governor Paterson has said he will sign it, the DEMOCRATIC Senate Majority Leader will NOT allow a bill to be debated.

:(
KLChristainson

San Francisco, CA

#6 May 6, 2009
WOO HOO you go Maine!!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#7 May 6, 2009
Once California is back in our column then there will really be significant pressure for the courts to act.
tomas

Shreveport, LA

#9 May 6, 2009
Right on, Maine! Now if only California would stop sticking its head in the sand.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

John Baldacci Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Group turns over donor list from gay marriage f... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Fa-Foxy 7
News 14 bold predictions for Maine politics in 2014 (Dec '13) Dec '13 Don Robertson 1
News Foolhardy ideas for lottery, liquor (Mar '13) Mar '13 Playslip 1
News Maine delegates: China trip promising (Sep '12) Sep '12 I can read 2
News Changes seen in Maine on gay marriage since vote (Feb '12) Mar '12 nhjeff 30
News Maine gov.: State can question immigration status (Jan '11) Jul '11 Raydot 3
News Vote on school funding Tuesday (Jun '11) Jun '11 Big issues 1
More from around the web